Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Nuebot posted:

But what if I need them later!
i saw one video that was like "hey if your kits ever get a big crack in them, or if there's a really ugly seam line you want to fix, you can cut up part of the runner & mix it with tamiya cement to get a perfectly color-matched adhesive putty" and since then i have not thrown out any runners, because what if i need them later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blaziken386 posted:

i saw one video that was like "hey if your kits ever get a big crack in them, or if there's a really ugly seam line you want to fix, you can cut up part of the runner & mix it with tamiya cement to get a perfectly color-matched adhesive putty" and since then i have not thrown out any runners, because what if i need them later

I never knew this existed and now have a hoarding habit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Yep. This is exactly what I was mentioning. If you're not painting a kit, it's pretty much perfect gap filler. Goop some in, let it cure, trim the excess like flashing and sand to taste.

Just make sure you have disposable applicators.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

slicing up eyeballs posted:

That's such a sweet, very mom gesture :unsmith: I'm sorry for your loss and I hope you enjoy the build, it looks like a fun one.

I'm finally getting to my RG Mk II after seeing so many people sing it's praises. I'm enjoying that it actually has you build so much of the frame before applying armor, but these little wire and fabric tube elements are absolutely criminal.

praises? Weird. It looks great, but i'm not.. crazy about it. The build was fiddily, and the interaction of parts is less than ideal.

Have a lighter handy, so you can melt the fringes of the fabric tubes. If you melt the edges a little, they tubes are hardy.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I ended up gluing those tubes in the end, but thought the rest of it was great. I think that was the only part of the build that felt fiddly. Not sure what you mean about the interaction exactly but I do find that the pauldrons pop off sometimes if I'm not careful when posing it.

My current issue is that I got a new kit to try something with, but this is after a move, and I can't find my gunpla tools. Tore my apartment apart looking for them last week and all I found was the cutting mat and 1000 grit sandpaper. Getting close to just ordering more but it might just be in a mislabeled box in storage.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

my first RG was the gp01 (best gundam) so the absence of a removable core fighter and those damned swingy, clipped-in sensors on the chassis is already a massive step up - I'm guessing the shoulder pauldrons are going to be c-clips again? for the gp01 I had one of those actually break and I ended up carving and gluing in a new clip arm from the runner, which felt like a massive achievement. Mostly I think it's cool to build a robot skellington and then add armor to it, real magical girl transformation stuff.

Brightman posted:

I ended up gluing those tubes in the end

This may be what I do. thankfully only one of the visible ends of the leg tubes is kinda frayed and I'm not sure if i'll have enough to clip a second after the back unit, or if it will end up covered by armor anyways.

my USAGS single blade nipper seems to be not fully cutting along the length of the blade and it's produced a couple deep stress marks. I want to avoid blunting the thing in the process but is nipper repair feasible?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://twitter.com/HokutoAndy/status/1336239326414348288

https://twitter.com/HokutoAndy/status/1337101628847976450

https://twitter.com/HokutoAndy/status/1337981346367512578

https://twitter.com/HokutoAndy/status/1338186848305176576

I'm sorry, I don't know how to make Twitter be less stupid about this embedding.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 23, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Change the X.com back to Twitter so the embed works properly.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

got my first p-bandai preorder, sort of amused at the cheap b/w packaging but it's what's inside that counts

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, since they're not intended to be displayed in a store, they cut those corners lmao

Sometimes it's blue and white, like the Rose

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, since they're not intended to be displayed in a store, they cut those corners lmao

Sometimes it's blue and white, like the Rose

I figured

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So it's time to start this big lad:

It has so god drat many pieces. And I don't know if it's the kit specifically or just my luck, but half of them are already partially popped from the sprue, cleanly at that, inside the bag. poo poo's weird. Some of the plastics have a really nice texture to them though, it feels good on the hands. The instructions are dense as hell though, I don't think I've ever seen a kit that actually has like, this poo poo in them:

Also it has a big long thing about stickers on the first page.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
That's not the only big long thing in the Nightingale kit

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I just realized this thing has no polycaps. How will I live without polycaps.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I just realized this thing has no polycaps. How will I live without polycaps.

a much better life, I assure you

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nuebot posted:

And I don't know if it's the kit specifically or just my luck, but half of them are already partially popped from the sprue, cleanly at that, inside the bag. poo poo's weird.

The parts being popped off is most likely from the box being bumped around while being shipped. It's not uncommon, and for something with large pieces like Nightingale it would be odd if nothing fell off.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Arc Hammer posted:

Are the Koto kits any good? I'm really only familiar with 6 cus I'm a tourist.

A bit late on this but in my experience and from what I've heard, Koto kits cover literally every bit of the quality spectrum.

Zoids kits themselves range from hand grenade/you'd better glue all of this poo poo (Blade Liger allegedly), to pretty good (Shadow Fox) to really great (Berserk Fury, arguably the Liger Zeroes).

Frame Arms are pretty fragile and meh from what I've heard. Their AC kits take a bit of effort both for presentation and stability allegedly. Haven't heard much about their SRW or Muv Luv lines.

The few Hexa Gear kits I've built could honestly contend with the better Bandai kits easily.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Carteret posted:

a much better life, I assure you

The joints are kind of stiff so far, but I'm actually really enjoying what I've built.

The feet are really fun to put together.

Argas posted:

That's not the only big long thing in the Nightingale kit

You weren't kidding

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 24, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MechaX posted:

A bit late on this but in my experience and from what I've heard, Koto kits cover literally every bit of the quality spectrum.

Zoids kits themselves range from hand grenade/you'd better glue all of this poo poo (Blade Liger allegedly), to pretty good (Shadow Fox) to really great (Berserk Fury, arguably the Liger Zeroes).

Frame Arms are pretty fragile and meh from what I've heard. Their AC kits take a bit of effort both for presentation and stability allegedly. Haven't heard much about their SRW or Muv Luv lines.

The few Hexa Gear kits I've built could honestly contend with the better Bandai kits easily.

Can't speak to the other variants, but the Liger Zero Panzer is rock-solid. :blastu:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I made the michaelis!

and then I panel lined it!!

question for the thread: how do I avoid little hairline cracks like THESE happening?

im trying to go as light as possible, but sometimes this still happens anyways, which is kind of a bummer TBH.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ah. Did you give your model a clear coat before you panel lined? If panel lining liquids pool they can cause cracks on bare plastic. Especially in places where two pieces join and if panel lining fluid gets between those. What panel liners are you using?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ah. Did you give your model a clear coat before you panel lined? If panel lining liquids pool they can cause cracks on bare plastic. Especially in places where two pieces join and if panel lining fluid gets between those. What panel liners are you using?
I did not because no one ever told me that was important or necessary
and I'm using these:

Blaziken386 posted:

i am using the pen which came with the markers, dabbing it onto a microfiber cloth, and rubbing that on the marks. its really easy to use too much if using the pen directly, so i only use it in big problem areas.

e: this type

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh, I thought those would have been mild enough to not cause cracking. Now I know!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Huh, I thought those would have been mild enough to not cause cracking. Now I know!

truly, god has cursed me for my hubris and my circumstances are unique

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I've been working on this kit for six hours straight and I'm almost done, but I'd just like to say that the weirdest thing about the nightingale to me is how its top half and bottom half look like they're from completely different robots.

Its legs and rear end look like a mega quebley basically, and also lmao at the little rear end kickstand it has.

The torso, meanwhile, looks like something you'd find in Armored core. Or it could even have been a mech on its own;

This kit's been real fun to build though and it's like building multiple different kits then sticking them together in terms of complexity and design. Also I still can't focus the camera for poo poo, and it decides to try and auto-focus on text and I don't know how to turn that off.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It will never happen but I want to know what an RG Nightingale would look like.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Blaziken386 posted:

I did not because no one ever told me that was important or necessary
and I'm using these:

those ones are specifically supposed to be safe enough to use on bare plastic (unlike tamiya's popular enamel based panel liner) so that's kinda weird

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
We've had the occasional "Gundam pour markers are eating my gunpla" reports for a while now. Certainly not on the level as Tamiya's liner but more than enough.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I think the only real issue I have with this kit are the weapons. Well, specifically one weapon.

The energy blades for the axes are curved, and for whatever reason they all use the same mold and didn't mirror them, so all four of them are right side pieces. It's not that bad if you use the short blades, but the long ones look terrible because of that. Unless you want to use the like, saber version of the blades but at that point I'd say just use the saber because the sabers for this kit look real cool and come in two flavours.

It's kind of hard to take a picture of this thing without zooming way the gently caress out; it took me eight hours to finish. Real huge on the Z axis - it's as long as the psycho gundam is tall while still being half as tall as it. Kind of hard to pick up, too, just because there's like no good grabby points. I've taken to lifting it by its chest. Also, aside from a few small stickers; there weren't and indicators or guides for where to put the decals, so whoops I forgot to put those on.

I need to dust off this shelf :negative:

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 24, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pierson posted:

It will never happen but I want to know what an RG Nightingale would look like.

A nail bomb in a box.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

truly, god has cursed me for my hubris and my circumstances are unique

You could try painting over it now to cover over the crack. Paint will work as a sealant against plastic weakening effects too, unless you're using the same kind of paint that the thinner uses. i.e. enamels will just melt off with most panel liners.

of course then you'll have the issue of matching the look of plastic to painted surface, then soon you start painting the whole thing and then...

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 24, 2023

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I've started working on the Motor Nuclear Ao Bing. It's a million tiny runners I have no idea how I'm going to organize this.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Dreqqus posted:

I've started working on the Motor Nuclear Ao Bing. It's a million tiny runners I have no idea how I'm going to organize this.

My condolences to your fingertips.

Edit: by dragon vs robot

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 24, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dreqqus posted:

By colour, obviously.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Getting a runner stand was the 2nd best investment I made for my gunpla addition (first was good nippers and xacto knife). So much easier to keep them sorted and within reach.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
In this house we:
* leave runners in the box
* lose the V-fin and vacuum it later
* give up on straightening the shoulder pads
* display everything in T-pose

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can't speak to the other variants, but the Liger Zero Panzer is rock-solid. :blastu:

The Gojulas and Deathstinger are amazing with just a couple weak points on each. Still incredible showpiece kits, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Space Opera posted:

Getting a runner stand was the 2nd best investment I made for my gunpla addition (first was good nippers and xacto knife). So much easier to keep them sorted and within reach.

Yeah, I use this runner dock and several of these runner tag clips to keep big kits organized. That site actually has several useful things, imo.

A holding tray for wet decals: http://plamokojo.com/archives/product/decalingquicktray

A portable workstation with a louvre and some led lamps: http://plamokojo.com/archives/product/decalingquicktray

A multiple cut masking tape tool: http://plamokojo.com/archives/product/masteslicerv

A single-edge nipper with replaceable blades: http://plamokojo.com/archives/product/%e3%82%b5%e3%82%b9%e3%83%86%e3%83%8a%e3%83%8b%e3%83%83%e3%83%91%e3%83%bcadvance

I have not used the wet-transfer tray or their nipper, but have used the others.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I just got this yesterday and I really like it. You can definitely get the job done with inexpensive alternatives, but the sponge they include is so much easier to pick up decals off of than straight water and you can get them activated or loose more quickly than wet palette style parchment paper. A luxury, but for $15 I don't regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
That's a lot of cool stuff but I can't imagine shipping from them to the US would be great.