Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Web Madness posted:

I just wanted Freelancer 2 :negative:

Good news, what you're getting is what Freelancer wouldn't been if Microsoft hadn't prised Roberts hands from off it and turned it into a game that could actually be released!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AutismVaccine posted:

350+ new comments, wtf happened? i was just shitposting yesterday evening

Star Citizen is finally good

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AutismVaccine posted:

350+ new comments, wtf happened? i was just shitposting yesterday evening

The game is out and is incredible! I barely have time to post, now I have to go back to romancing Lieutenant Commander Steve "Old Man" Cotton.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Sandi surprisingly put in an amazing performance and made me tear up a bit when she comforted Mark Hamil's character about his space STD's.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

I guess our secret mission to disrupt SC is coming to an end. Chris wins again. Access restricted

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

He should be proud
Proud of Chris and the entire team! o7
Man followed his dream and went through hell to get there
He and all the CIG employees actually did it. What an accomplishment.
I am a believer again. Chris, our god and savior
o7 Totally, he totally did it.

Starcitizens just have ubermensch-like memory, what a straight thinking bunch.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AutismVaccine posted:

I guess our secret mission to disrupt SC is coming to an end. Chris wins again. Access restricted

For a brief, beautiful, time I really thought our evil schemes were going to win. :(

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Thom12255 posted:

Sandi surprisingly put in an amazing performance and made me tear up a bit when she comforted Mark Hamil's character about his space STD's.

This is even more unbelievable than chips in vaccines, flat earth and superheromovies are good - theories combined.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

lobsterminator posted:

Wouldn't the planet be super tiny or the clouds hugely high for them to be visibly bumpy like that. Like the old titbit that earth is smoother than a billiard ball at that scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWVulywHB3g

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

A good number to remember is 6370km, thats the earths radius. The air pressure is half at 5,5km and like a quarter at 10km. So the atmosphere is kinda tiny

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

trucutru posted:

What a lack of ambition. Imagine a star tear rolling down a commando's cheek only to bounce into a strand of star hair making it drop on top of a wrinkle in the sheets, causing the most minimal deformation both as it wets the fabric and when it evaporates from it, which increases the amount of H20 vapor in the air, delaying by a few vital nanoseconds the activation of the fire extinguishing system as a fully-simulated fire rolls into the room... just as you commando t-posses and falls thru the floor into open space.

That's the true star citizen immersion experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKCjRHhjVhE

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So people, is Star Citizen actually going to release a playable game in the end.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/nIf0TkZ.mp4

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

Wouldn't the planet be super tiny or the clouds hugely high for them to be visibly bumpy like that. Like the old titbit that earth is smoother than a billiard ball at that scale.

Yeah, IIRC the Stanton system is at about the same scale as the KSP system. Which is to say the planets are 1/10th scale and their orbits would fit inside Mercury's orbit.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The storm looks fine, but its just too big for the planet. it draws attention to the fact that the planet is small. they should be using a smaller storm that looks more proportional.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hizawk posted:

Seriously, everspace 2.

yeah "what the gently caress just killed me" simulator kind of sucks, sorry.

or my brain trying to do both "flight sim" controls and "FPS controls" and locking up is being added to a general badness at videogames on my part. The words Everspace 2 now cause me stress reactions, I only have access to like 3 systems and just die all the time.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

khwarezm posted:

So people, is Star Citizen actually going to release a playable game in the end.

For certain definitions of "playable" and "game", yes.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

khwarezm posted:

Lol

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

khwarezm posted:

Words like "release" and "playable" and "game" lose all meaning when applied to Star Citizen. Even "end" is up for debate.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I am curious if they have actually rounded a corner and perhaps my decade+ worth of cynicism has gone too far or if its just the same old smoke and mirrors.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think they're still wildly dishonest. It is absolutely textbook from the history of star citizen to say something like "squadron is feature complete", refuse to elaborate, and let everyone invent whatever they think that means

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yes, I looked around a bit and there's a lot of citizens saying 'Sq42 is DONE!!!'. People literally talking about the tears of joy they cried. Apparently SaltEMike cried on stream. Other posts shame the heretical Refundians for their lack of faith. The whole works.

There's also an unprecedented level of dreams.txt surrounding base building

quote:

What amazes me even more is that you'll eventually be farming your fields, look up and witness a battle taking place, one ship wrecks and lands nearby, someone eventually comes to salvage it, you'll drive over and offer them food or drink, make some light conversation. They'll go about their day and return several days later to check up on you and BAM new friend unlocked.

Star Citizen isn't only guns and ships. Its in the engagements and player driven emergent gameplay.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 23, 2023

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Man that trailer looked pretty.

Pretty boring. Lol!
I feel like Chris must have put a sticky note on every desk that just said "more generic!". It looks like if someone went into a dollar store and upscaled all the textures.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

I am curious if they have actually rounded a corner and perhaps my decade+ worth of cynicism has gone too far or if its just the same old smoke and mirrors.

Most of that trailer is cut scenes, there is actually very little gameplay shown.

Someone on the refund Reddit also made a good point that many of the features CIG is currently working on (physicalised armour, master modes, flight model) would presumably also be needed for SQ42 and those would require a lot of changes to the game to get it to feel right.

Like yeah maybe CIG isn't lying and they are "feature complete" but what does that actually mean? I wouldn't expect to see SQ42 for a good long while yet.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I've not had time to read all the previous pages of liveposting, but here's my impression of all the 'cool and innovative' things shown in that SQ42 gameplay trailer:
  • Watching your avatar in a non-interactive cutscene as they dictate an email message to their wrist computer (they have different faces and voices, wow!)
  • Sitting in your cockpit as the simulated skinsuits of celebrities from yesteryear talk at you
  • Half-Life physics puzzles - use your multitool (which happens to have a gravity beam) to lift a box into a cart - all this made possible by CIG's updated rope tech (???)
  • Lots of panels, giving me vibes of 'interactive' FPS games from two decades ago (Doom 3, DNF, etc.) - modern games like the recent Prey also do it but this feels like from a different era
  • Rotate valves to solve exciting "stare at a diagram and fill the tank with liquid" puzzles and other similar things, maybe we'll get towers of hanoi in there somewhere
  • Scripted mission setpieces that probably go off the rails if you don't do them exactly as the level designers intended, like Call of Duty campaigns
  • Freely walk around the spaceship between missions where all your actions are immersively simulated, including... yes, all the boring stuff that should be cut out; observe all the mocap work CIG's animators have spent a decade on
  • Extended sequences of slowly walking through really long corridors at the same pace as some NPCs in front of you, as they talk about their job opportunities (so relatable!)
  • Characters now have even sweatier textures on then than the last time they showed the game, you can really make out all those polygons pores in their faces
  • FPS sequences where you walk into groups of enemies face-first while exchange bullets with them and then heal up in-between bursts, incredible stuff
  • Space combat! With autotargeting or something, not sure - the least interesting aspect of the game to me. Highlight was when they flew through a spaceship hangar and the game was rendering at sub-20 FPS, they actually put that footage in there
"Entering polish phase" and "feature complete" doesn't mean much when it comes from CIG, the company famous for feature bloat and scope creep. They've been "polishing" Squadron 42 for ages now. Once again, this appears to be a bunch of unconnected setpieces that they've spent considerable time putting together over the years. Is the game playable from start to finish? Who knows (haha no).

This has a slim chance of coming out (that's a big if, certainly, but a higher chance than them ever delivering on the MMO) but I really wonder if the gaming public is going to care for yet another graphical showcase with crazy high hardware requirements. Immortals of Aveum was privately funded (by a billionaire, no less) and had many, many years of work put into it, only for it to completely fail on release. Those guys had a publisher, a decent amount of marketing for a game with no brand recognition and Immortals was also a multiplatform console game - SQ42 is PC only. Similar formula, too: Long dev cycle, one "idea guy" at the top who enjoyed great success in the past, huge setpieces, celebrity casting, lots of fancy graphics tech, bloated game design that tries to pull in various elements from other popular games but isn't good at any of them... huh.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’ve cranked out big honking shits that are more “feature complete” than SQ42

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

The reasonable take has always been that both sides of the Star Citizen obsessive spectrum (from CIG cultist to rabid hate-watcher) will be disappointed, in some sense.

Insane citizens daydreaming about the perfect space adventure life sim Chris promises will never see their fantasies materialize, but equally we've been posting in this thread for long enough to see that CIG and its projects will keep shambling along. Maybe if the singleplayer game is undeniably broken and awful it could finally break the faith of backers, but it seems more likely to be just buggy and mediocre, and at this point it's clear that mediocrity is something Star Citizen fans are more than prepared to accept.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
What if this is Chris's accidental genius though?

He ends up releasing a retro game to captivate the olds, dressed up in many shiny new jackets...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Well I guess if you decide that actually you aren't going to do 95% of what you promised and are just going to ship what you have done now, that is technically "feature complete"

Aside from the half dozen things that you aren't ever actually going to get working and that will be ditched between now and the imagined date you might actually release it

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Pixelate posted:

He ends up releasing a retro game to captivate the olds, dressed up in many shiny new jackets...

I mean isn't that what people were literally asking for with the original kickstarter before he went off and decided it instead needed to be the most hyper-realistic-at-all-costs MMO ever made?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

my expectation is that Sq42 will release, and after an initial burst of hype the citizenry will resignedly admit its mediocrity. This won't break the faith, however. "I haven't even played Sq42," one citizen will declare. "I just don't care about it. I'm glad that its finally out of the way and CIG can finally concentrate on Star Citizen."

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pixelate posted:

quote:

Call of Duty®: Infinite Warfare
Developer- Infinity Ward
Publisher- Activision
Released- Nov 3, 2016

REVIEWS
Mixed (58% of 13,696) ALL TIME

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

twitch viewership higher than ever!

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

some guy posted:

What amazes me even more is that you'll eventually be farming your fields, look up and witness a battle taking place, one ship wrecks and lands nearby

Everything old is new again

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The game isn’t releasing, and if it does it will be the biggest piece of poo poo ever made

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

A movie with more creativity and artistry in a single frame than CRobber could produce in a full year.
At a 112 minute runtime, it would almost have enough frames to release SC as a viable and working game.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

i am a moron posted:

The game isn’t releasing, and if it does it will be the biggest piece of poo poo ever made

This.

I popped through the 30 min trailer there it looks like some fancy cutscenes and some very specific segments that are slightly elevated pre-renderings. Gunplay looks incomplete, like the AI just sort of slides back and forth the whole time. They don't show any scene transitioning into another because there's no connective tissue to any of it.

I looked it up and the Halo 2 preview came out 1.5 years before launch (after some delays) and the level was basically the same. This is not nearly that level of complete.

Also I love that the new and exciting features are all from like 15+ years ago. Tedious first persona animations, and your super futuristic gun jamming like you're fighting the Vietcong. Very cool.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Like many Citizens and as a space dad myself, I always look forward to that final hour at the end of the day when the kids are tucked up in bed, and I turn on my PC and make a little more progress watching two NPCs in a hallway talking about their careers or whatever.

JammyB fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 23, 2023

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

JammyB posted:

Like many Citizens and as a space dad myself, I always look forward to that final hour at the end of the day when the kids are tucked up in bed, and I turn on my PC and make a little more progress watching two NPCs in a hallway talking about their careers or whatever. t-Posing and standing on a bench because they are still unable to sit down.

Fyfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Wow the SC reddit seems even more demented than usual. People tearily thanking Chris, knowing that they just had to stay the course and that they'd never lost faith. All for the same announcement we've heard in various forms for years, that the feature work is (almost) done and they just need to polish it up and get it out of the door. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with the Pyro launch almost certainly being the usual level of shitshow that everything with this game is. Note, interesting, not surprising because they'll just spin the usual web of bullshit rationalization.