Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
If a cheap draft falls through I'm going to try this hastily put together Grist Deck. I thought I had more random insects around but a search of long boxes came up a bit short so chunk of the deck got backfilled from my Lathril deck. Guess my plan is to finale for X>10 or call of the dark realms. I'm sure it will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
For 2 mana removal spells I love the ones that exile and have multiple types of things they can target. Cards like Resculpt and Baleful Mastery.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dizz posted:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/vLyolV6WAk-lh4iMIu9DZg

looking for advice on how to trim this bastard down.

Foil marked cards are ones i do not own.

I'd say 36 lands is probably your sweet spot, since you'll be less likely to hit whole hands that have nothing but lands.

I agree on having some mana rocks instead of relying on absolutely needing green mana lands to get your ramp on. Depending on budget of course, signets, talismans. Timeless Lotus comes in tapped but then will tap for full WUBRG. Maybe even sticking OG Jodah in the deck to make everything cast a flat WUBRG regardless.

WUBRG will always be slow going so your mana curve is especially important.

Also I would strongly recommend having a counterspell of some kind, you need something to keep a Cyclonic Rift from potentially just stuffing everything back into your hand if you care about something like that. Your deck seems pretty janky but like in a real fun way, like my WUBRG deck I don't run any basics at all just cause I wanted to see if it could function well without them. You're all about shuffling as much as possible with your fetches to luck into something better without tutors.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 21, 2023

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
i have a Marchesa deck that I've retooled to be about +1/+1 counters and proliferation. it used to be about stealing other people's stuff and sacrificing them after i get a counter on them, but that didn't seem fun. i need to stop adding cards and so I'm always cutting.
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/7IfCLzvONUqQEtTHulA96w
The cards in 'considering' are actually reminding me to actually remove things when i get around to doing the actual edits. I probably have too many mana rocks or other sub optimal things. the win con is to beat people up with increasingly large hard to block creatures, so this is definitely not cedh.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
So I found a couple of things out. 1. People fear and hate grist even if he is making a single 1/1 per turn. Apparently his -5 is terrifying even if there are two creatures in my graveyard.

2. You would think casting rise of the dark realms followed by finale for 11 should kill a table but it doesn't work that well unless you have a trample enabler.

3. Killing man lands is justified because they will end you while you are trying to kill an opponent that gained 100 life.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Triumph of the Hordes should help push stuff through.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I wish Brudiclad was grixis just so I could run all the Daleks and replicate Exterminate! a million times.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AlternateNu posted:

I wish Brudiclad was grixis just so I could run all the Daleks and replicate Exterminate! a million times.

Run him as a Sectre Commander with you Commandrr helping fetch him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wonder if there’s any way to make meeting of the five work.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wonder if there’s any way to make meeting of the five work.

Best case scenario is probably casting an ultimatum via it, or use it and doubling cube in some rube-goldbergian mana generation pyramid scheme (which is a bad plan) but at least it's a wacky haymaker way to win.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Best case scenario is probably casting an ultimatum via it, or use it and doubling cube in some rube-goldbergian mana generation pyramid scheme (which is a bad plan) but at least it's a wacky haymaker way to win.

I found a janky Standard deck that uses it.

But I wonder if it could work in a 5c edh deck based around tricolor cards.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

berenzen posted:

You have probably about 5-6 too many lands, and some clunkers that can probably get cut

From an immediate look I'd cut Mirari's wake, 1 of each of the basics and maybe a second mountain, and skyshroud claim. replace ash barrens with a better land.

Reflections of littarja and kindred discovery are also potential cuts/replacements. They're 5 mana do-nothings until you start playing creatures, and taking a turn off that late in the game is usually a big mistake. If you can, look to try to replace your sorcery ramp with artifact ramp like arcane signet, talismans and moxes. the issue with spell/land ramp is that it locks you into needing green mana early on, even if it makes your mana base more resilient to hate.

I don't love despark either. There are better 2 mana kill spells that are less conditional and are easier to cast, and unless your local meta is filled with reanimation decks that really need an expensive answer exiled over killed, despark is not really worth running.

Mirari's wake was moreso to assist with encoring a bunch of slivers when I'm ready to make a move. the bonus mana generation and the small boost seemed like a good idea. Enchantments also seem to be pretty difficult to remove in edh so it felt like a safe choice. I got no issues with removing it. Skyshroud was to assist with getting forests up for my apparent fat green mana needs. I can remove that as well. Ash barrens felt good with basic landcycling if I needed a specific color to help with WUBRG needs.

I can remove Reflections and Kindred Discovery. In my first list i even had token dupers like Doubling Season and the others but they were also kinda chunky and expensive so i dropped them. For ramp I can put back Arcane Signet, but unsure what Talismans I should put here. Are there specific ones I should throw in here or go all out and put them all [if feasible]? dont know what moxes are worth getting or are cheap enough to be worth considering.

Despark felt like a good choice to wipe any commander out if someone needed their use to win the game, but i guess it's just too restrictive.

Jiro posted:

I'd say 36 lands is probably your sweet spot, since you'll be less likely to hit whole hands that have nothing but lands.

I agree on having some mana rocks instead of relying on absolutely needing green mana lands to get your ramp on. Depending on budget of course, signets, talismans. Timeless Lotus comes in tapped but then will tap for full WUBRG. Maybe even sticking OG Jodah in the deck to make everything cast a flat WUBRG regardless.

WUBRG will always be slow going so your mana curve is especially important.

Also I would strongly recommend having a counterspell of some kind, you need something to keep a Cyclonic Rift from potentially just stuffing everything back into your hand if you care about something like that. Your deck seems pretty janky but like in a real fun way, like my WUBRG deck I don't run any basics at all just cause I wanted to see if it could function well without them. You're all about shuffling as much as possible with your fetches to luck into something better without tutors.

Reasoning for high mana base was because I wanted to see if I can utilize spells that might allow me to place more lands per turn but that just felt too clunky in testing so i removed those and forgot to flatten the mana base more.

I always heard that WUBRG was slow, and I felt like maybe keeping the deck as WUBRG but cutting Black since there's barely anything there, and maybe blue since it also isn't very prominent in the deck.

At first I didn't have counterspell because my group led me to believe that "Protection from COLOR" effects would protect me from board clears like Cyclonic and Wrath of God but that was wrong. I have no problems tossing in a counterspell of any sorts, so i don't mind suggestions on that part.

The manabase i'm still very conflicted about. Opponent duals are great. as they're my only way to get dual lands that

1: Do not enter tapped
2: Do not slaughter my bank account

Problem there is that the Opponent lands don't have the land names in them so they can't be fetched, nor can the other special lands that allow me in one way or another to make mana colors as I please, so i felt that at least 2x of each basic would be fine with a little bit of spells that can search for them and also some fetches which i do not mind paying a few bucks for.

I also need to look at the Slivers list again to make sure I didn't miss out on any good or interesting ones but I think I have them all already.

edit: holy poo poo i can type a lot of words. im so sorry.

E2: also forgot to mention my frustration with the landbase, because if I removed fetches and basics, i felt like I had too little for a deck.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 22, 2023

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I won a bunch of games yesterday against my sibling, it was funny because previous back when my commander deck was a Red-Black with Bladewing the Risen as the Commander, it was very slow and I lost a lot; but with their suggestions and some hand-me-downs each game became this really interesting problem for them where they have to put out all the stops in order to win.

I likened it to their being just like Vegeta letting me become Perfect Cell for a better challenge and getting more than they bargained for.

There's some funny interactions like I managed to pull off mind games twice. The first time against a Druid deck I mentioned "You could take my lands if you want" (they had a card where if they had 7 druids they can take my lands) and this made them forget as they were doing a combo that I had Gemhide Sliver would and didn't need lands. I think I lost that in the end only because they managed to topdeck a land that let them double their mana and were able to do their combo of generating like dozens of mana to play dozens of elves/druids and then drawing dozens of cards.

I think there's a card I need for that situation that would deal X damage to all my creatures which with spiteful sliver would deal that damage to every other creature to tutor with profane tutor which I cascade into it.

Played my Kaalia deck as well, I actually think I won every match despite being ostensibly less threatening than the slivers. I think the Slivers become this steady tidal wave which you can kneecap and depends a lot on which slivers I start the game with before I can snowball and start the cascade chain going. Kaalia seems a little harder to knee cap for long and individually Dragons tend to be much more fearsome and can have a wide range of utility.

The second successful mind game was tricking them into not realizing Anger which I put in the graveyard with buried alive was useless and I had no Mountain-"Mountains", so they sacrificed my Tyrant's Familiar which they had taken control of with a reanimator spell to counter my casting a Dragon of mine as they were at low enough life that they were on a clock with Phyrexian Arena.

I think what I need to do is get some sleeves, a lot of lands, and practice mash shuffling and cascading, because every search your library effect is a little painful in real life commander.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I've mentioned the Achievement Points system the LGS I play at has. They also award negative points for: Eliminating a player before turn 4, taking more than one extra turn, and repeating a loop more than four times (the card this penalty is written on refers to activated/triggered abilities). That last one is clearly meant to discourage players from going infinite with a Kiki-Jiki or with All Will Be One, looping a Dockside with Temur Sabertooth or Cloudstone Curio, Displacer Kitten lines, etc.

I was playing Korvold and had someone get salty because I had generated a bunch of treasures and was using them to draw cards and play spells. They were claiming that I had repeated an action by using triggers more than four times (the limit imposed before you start accruing penalties). One of the other players agreed with him, while the fourth player agreed with my assessment about what the penalty was meant to prevent. I had to call an employee over to explain that I was right, and after the employee left, the dude that tried to give me negative points had the gall to say that he's a judge, and regardless of the "intent of the penalty", he would have ruled differently based on the way it was written.

I proceeded to set up a win and eliminated the table the next turn, but I was honestly surprised anyone would get upset enough to try to angle shoot me into losing some points. What a petty little crybaby, lol.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Batterypowered7 posted:

I've mentioned the Achievement Points system the LGS I play at has. They also award negative points for: Eliminating a player before turn 4, taking more than one extra turn, and repeating a loop more than four times (the card this penalty is written on refers to activated/triggered abilities). That last one is clearly meant to discourage players from going infinite with a Kiki-Jiki or with All Will Be One, looping a Dockside with Temur Sabertooth or Cloudstone Curio, Displacer Kitten lines, etc.

I was playing Korvold and had someone get salty because I had generated a bunch of treasures and was using them to draw cards and play spells. They were claiming that I had repeated an action by using triggers more than four times (the limit imposed before you start accruing penalties). One of the other players agreed with him, while the fourth player agreed with my assessment about what the penalty was meant to prevent. I had to call an employee over to explain that I was right, and after the employee left, the dude that tried to give me negative points had the gall to say that he's a judge, and regardless of the "intent of the penalty", he would have ruled differently based on the way it was written.

I proceeded to set up a win and eliminated the table the next turn, but I was honestly surprised anyone would get upset enough to try to angle shoot me into losing some points. What a petty little crybaby, lol.

There's some really interesting ideas behind those achievements points, I kinda like em' and might help even things out with my table :D

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

These achievement point systems all sound like case studies from a paper about perverse incentives

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Doing a points system for actual monetary or material reward will encourage that kind of behavior. Having a wall of fame for bragging rites or functionally worthless, but holding a sentimental value like custom tokens or alters, would be a better system

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I mean what I like about it is it doesn't outright ban infinite combo builds and presumably can be tweaked to not ban stax and so on, what it seems to do is encourage restraint where you can play the deck but you gotta be reasonable about it while still letting you have the option of doing a combo at the risk of losing points.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

do a points incentives for people who lose. make the sweats sandbag.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dizz posted:

Reasoning for high mana base was because I wanted to see if I can utilize spells that might allow me to place more lands per turn but that just felt too clunky in testing so i removed those and forgot to flatten the mana base more.

I always heard that WUBRG was slow, and I felt like maybe keeping the deck as WUBRG but cutting Black since there's barely anything there, and maybe blue since it also isn't very prominent in the deck.

At first I didn't have counterspell because my group led me to believe that "Protection from COLOR" effects would protect me from board clears like Cyclonic and Wrath of God but that was wrong. I have no problems tossing in a counterspell of any sorts, so i don't mind suggestions on that part.

The manabase i'm still very conflicted about. Opponent duals are great. as they're my only way to get dual lands that

1: Do not enter tapped
2: Do not slaughter my bank account

Problem there is that the Opponent lands don't have the land names in them so they can't be fetched, nor can the other special lands that allow me in one way or another to make mana colors as I please, so i felt that at least 2x of each basic would be fine with a little bit of spells that can search for them and also some fetches which i do not mind paying a few bucks for.

I also need to look at the Slivers list again to make sure I didn't miss out on any good or interesting ones but I think I have them all already.

edit: holy poo poo i can type a lot of words. im so sorry.

E2: also forgot to mention my frustration with the landbase, because if I removed fetches and basics, i felt like I had too little for a deck.

https://archidekt.com/decks/3269628/pa_pa_pa_pa_pa_painbow

Here's my jank rear end WUBRG deck that immediately will get hosed if a Blood Moon comes out and has no basics. If at all possible I race to go grab a Tiller Engine or an Amulet of Vigor to make all my tapped lands behave like regular duals. Also I bought a full set of proxied OG duals and removed the DU tapped duals I originally had in there cause gently caress paying that much for lands. The other lands in there I lucked into from opening packs.

I always say I have five proxy duals in my deck and that's it for proxies ahead of any playing in a pod.

The only ramp spells I have are like Three Visits, and something else. Plus I use all the lairs.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Oh gently caress i forgot about worldly tutor.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dizz posted:

do a points incentives for people who lose. make the sweats sandbag.

Deduct points for each card worth more than $5 in your deck :twisted:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

100% for it. if you have any of these cards in your deck you get a -4 to points total.

Thassa's Oracle
Underworld Breach
Any counterspell that isn't Counterspell
in fact; any blue card
what else?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Spanish Manlove posted:

Me, slowly dipping my Tabernacle into acetone: It's foolproof.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

tricks on you. I got a timetwister for .30 CAD.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Just as a reminder, everyone is free to (and is encouraged to) play in a way that works for them and their playgroup. If that's buying cards or limiting budgets, that's fine. If that's using proxies, also fine. But, the constant masturbatory crowing about proxy prices and backhanded chiding for people who build decks with real cards isn't welcome. It would be the equivalent of people coming in here to brag over the cost of their deck or shame people using proxies, which no one does.. So, ya know, try to post a little more hospitably.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

:sweatdrop:

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Party Miser posted:

i have a Marchesa deck that I've retooled to be about +1/+1 counters and proliferation. it used to be about stealing other people's stuff and sacrificing them after i get a counter on them, but that didn't seem fun. i need to stop adding cards and so I'm always cutting.
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/7IfCLzvONUqQEtTHulA96w
The cards in 'considering' are actually reminding me to actually remove things when i get around to doing the actual edits. I probably have too many mana rocks or other sub optimal things. the win con is to beat people up with increasingly large hard to block creatures, so this is definitely not cedh.

Play Marchesa Akikido, it's the most fun you'll ever have.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Toshimo posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

probe/av combo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

What are good cards with triggers when casting from exile for a Ob Nixilis Captive Kingpin deck?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Any tutor and All Will Be One is the only combo you need, along with a single point of damage

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

MonsieurChoc posted:

What are good cards with triggers when casting from exile for a Ob Nixilis Captive Kingpin deck?

I have a video for this:
https://youtu.be/dZnjd_KDvb8

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Play Marchesa Akikido, it's the most fun you'll ever have.

that's why i still left control stuff in, just no searching anyone's deck for stuff. can't beat that high of stealing someone's mutated commander with a counter on it and sacking it. i got every creature in the pile back except the commander at the end of my turn.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Silhouette posted:

Any tutor and All Will Be One is the only combo you need, along with a single point of damage

Commander decks that just run as many tutors as possible to dig out the same card every game as a win con are lame.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 23, 2023

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Floppychop posted:

Commander decks that just run as many tutors as possible just to dig out the same card every game as a win con are lame.

:yeah:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Floppychop posted:

Commander decks that just run as many tutors as possible just to dig out the same card every game as a win con are lame.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's one site where I'll browse decklists by commander and they list different levels of budget alternatives on a sidebar. There's always a 5000 dollar version that takes any deck theme and homogenizes it into the most expensive CEDH staples. It's sometimes handy for grabbing a good manabase to copy, but the deck itself is usually very boring and so far from the whole fun of the commander that you'd be better off running a proper CEDH deck than the shell of one with a goober on top.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Floppychop posted:

Commander decks that just run as many tutors as possible to dig out the same card every game as a win con are lame.

that's why you use tutors to get your lose con and bait players into trying to counter it

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Floppychop posted:

Just run Opposition Agent in every single deck with no regard for color identity, bing bong, so easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I wonder if I can somehow mold this into my Prosper deck.