Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I fell asleep and accidently let this loaf of bread prove for 2 hours past where I normally would.

Still came out pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Happy 4th birthday to Samwise, my sourdough starter!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I've been making some very pretty, pretty good sourdough loaves for the past week. Texture wise I'm almost nailing it - few are underbaked, but all have had pretty big bubbles and chewy crusts.

Curious about taste. I'm pretty ok with the flavor I'm currently getting, but want to experiment with that. Is it just a matter of which flours you use, or has anyone tried a second sourdough starter to get a different sour-ness... basically asking what's the best lever to pull to really experiment with bread flavor.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 15, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Show us those crumbs!

I’ve been playing with some King Arthur flour recipes, but I’m out of flour now!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
How is that raisin bread? It looks delicious.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

effika posted:

How is that raisin bread? It looks delicious.

It’s very good!

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/cinnamon-raisin-sourdough-bread-recipe

It’s a discard loaf but the next time I do it I’m definitely thinking an overnight preferment and like 20% whole wheat flour. And some cinnamon in the dough.

That, or a sourdough cinnamon roll recipe I like, just prepared like bread.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Anyone got a recipe for supermarket "bulkie" rolls? Just yer standard, puffy, oversized white sandwich rolls that are my go-to for egg sandwiches. I feel like these rolls are purely the product of food science and manufacturing, since I've never made anything nearly as light and airy.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A big stumbling block would be they are cooked in steam ovens which you don't have access to as a home cook.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Welp, that explains it / there goes that. Thank you!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

There are things you can do to make your oven steamier - put a baking tray with ice water in the bottom of oven during pre-heating, or break up an ice-cube and throw it in your dutch oven with your bread. But a lot of commercial bread is baked by steam.
Interestingly, the move away from dry heat wasn't caused by people demanding soft bread - they like it now, but they had to be taught to. Bread was judged by weight, water's one of the cheapest things you can put into bread, and so dehydrating your product by blasting it with hot air ate into your profit.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

null_pointer posted:

Anyone got a recipe for supermarket "bulkie" rolls? Just yer standard, puffy, oversized white sandwich rolls that are my go-to for egg sandwiches. I feel like these rolls are purely the product of food science and manufacturing, since I've never made anything nearly as light and airy.

If you're looking for something like a good soft hamburger bun/roll, King Arthur has a few good ones.

Here's their simple hamburger bun recipe.
This would probably be a good recipe to try if you're just starting out or if you've never made buns before.

Here's a potato bun recipe.
This one requires a couple of ingredients that you probably do not already have. The potato flour will soak up more liquid than regular flour which means you will end up with a soft roll that has a bit more shelf life. Dry milk powder should help add tenderness to the bun/roll. Both potato flour and dry milk powder also have a long shelf life, so if you find that you enjoy baking, these two ingredients should be a bit of food science that you can use in your own kitchen.

The potato bun recipe also works if you want to make dinner rolls for something like Thanksgiving. You just need to make much smaller dough balls for the smaller rolls.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Anyone try making rolls in a Dutch oven to hold the steam?

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Made some olive bread for a friend - the last couple I tried were no-knead recipes with the olives mixed in before shaping. This one was a more traditional method and I just mixed through olives during the third stretch and fold. Both ways work out great!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

beerinator posted:

If you're looking for something like a good soft hamburger bun/roll, King Arthur has a few good ones.

Here's their simple hamburger bun recipe.
This would probably be a good recipe to try if you're just starting out or if you've never made buns before.

Here's a potato bun recipe.
This one requires a couple of ingredients that you probably do not already have. The potato flour will soak up more liquid than regular flour which means you will end up with a soft roll that has a bit more shelf life. Dry milk powder should help add tenderness to the bun/roll. Both potato flour and dry milk powder also have a long shelf life, so if you find that you enjoy baking, these two ingredients should be a bit of food science that you can use in your own kitchen.

The potato bun recipe also works if you want to make dinner rolls for something like Thanksgiving. You just need to make much smaller dough balls for the smaller rolls.
Both of these recipes are basically okay, but whenever I make them (or nearly any other KA bun or roll recipe) I cut the sugar in at least half because holy poo poo do they like 'em sweet.

The potato roll recipe also works well for hot dog buns.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

tuyop posted:

Anyone try making rolls in a Dutch oven to hold the steam?

I make my sourdough this way. I don't see why it wouldn't work with smaller loaves (rolls). I basically put a layer of cornmeal in the dutch oven, then the loaf goes in on a piece of parchment paper. I then slip a few ice cubes in between the parchment paper and the pot and quickly put the lid on. Halfway through cooking I take the lid off.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Does anyone have a good blog or writer for food science in baking? I've been making cornbread recently, and I tried using masa instead of cornmeal. It was mostly good, but it had a huge impact on the texture, and I want to know how to adjust a recipe to account for this. I know masa has a high pH and better cohesion, and I'm trying to figure out how to adjust liquids, binders, chemical leavening, sweetening, etc.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Mr. Squishy posted:

Interestingly, the move away from dry heat wasn't caused by people demanding soft bread - they like it now, but they had to be taught to. Bread was judged by weight, water's one of the cheapest things you can put into bread, and so dehydrating your product by blasting it with hot air ate into your profit.
Do you have a source for this, or what timeframe are you talking about? Soft bread (with unadulterated white flour) was always a premium product with a lot of prestige afaik

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

HolHorsejob posted:

Does anyone have a good blog or writer for food science in baking? I've been making cornbread recently, and I tried using masa instead of cornmeal. It was mostly good, but it had a huge impact on the texture, and I want to know how to adjust a recipe to account for this. I know masa has a high pH and better cohesion, and I'm trying to figure out how to adjust liquids, binders, chemical leavening, sweetening, etc.

Kenji Lopez-Alt is good but I can't vouch for your specific issue. It seems to me that the nixtamalization process would have more permanent effects than a higher pH.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm prepping to make my weekly sourdough loaves (feeding the starter tonight to use it tomorrow) and I'm finding that I may not have enough all-purpose flour. Maybe half the amount, maybe a bit more, maybe I'll even be lucky enough to have all of it, but I won't know until I try.

I do have plenty of whole wheat flour, though. (Almost too much really, since I only use 85g each time.) If I do end up having to use whole wheat for half of it, any advice on how this will change things and how to compensate?

I normally follow this KA recipe:
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/learn/guides/sourdough/bake

(2 loaves )
454g ripe (fed) sourdough starter
602g Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
85g Whole Wheat Flour
397g room-temperature water
2 1/2 teaspoons salt (17-18g)

Summary of the steps below -- my rests usually end up a bit longer, but otherwise I usually follow this pretty closely:
- Autolyze, rest 20min
- Add salt and knead, cover & rest 1h
- "Letter fold", cover & rest 1h
- Preshape, rest for 20min
- Shape, rest for 2-2½ hours
- Bake

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

More hydration may be needed.

You'll have a more dense crumb.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
In addition, there will likely be less rise but it may be faster since whole wheat has more nutrients for the yeast.

And it will probably taste good enough to try doing it regularly!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Thanks, I ended up only being about 80g short, so the whole wheat isn't dominating the process. Although I definitely felt the slight reduction in hydration; it was almost getting like bagel dough. Turned out nice though!

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Trying to do the overnight white bread from Flour Water Salt Yeast, and I remember why I stopped doing bread boules. God drat is this thing finicky.

I've probably did, like, four turn and folds last night, let it rest overnight in the fridge, have done three additional turn and folds (plus a letter fold), and the thing is still practically slack as a pancake.

This totally mirrors my frustration with a lot of Bread Illustrated's recipes. They were just super slack and never really came together. Maybe I should have eased back into it with the simple serious eats loaf.

I'll do one final letter fold, throw it in the bannetton, and whatever happens happens.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

HolHorsejob posted:

I've used https://www.theperfectloaf.com/. Got his book as well and it's pretty "scientific". He has many articles and videos on techniques, not just recipes. Although his recipes have been the most consistently good I've seen out there.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

God drat, look at this bullshit:

I didn't even bother cooking it. I've been in this situation too many times, and I always end up with basically matza. I'll try again tomorrow with the serious eats recipe, but what a way to get back into things.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Were you planning on cooking it in the dutch oven or open on a pan? Because that looks about right for that dough. You're supposed to flip it out of the banneton onto some parchment paper then drop the whole thing straight into the dutch oven then bake. You can probably count the total time it's "loose" like you have it photographed there in seconds on one hand.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

As someone who's made a few accidentally flat breads, I have not found a way to bake something that runny quick enough. I've started ignoring the recipes and dialling the hydration back to get bread I'm happier with.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

As someone who's made a few accidentally flat breads, I have not found a way to bake something that runny quick enough. I've started ignoring the recipes and dialling the hydration back to get bread I'm happier with.

Yeah this was my take on it. I don't think it had to do with yeast or maybe not even developing the gluten enough, just that it was too high hydration (for an unknown reason, I weighed out the ingredients to the gram).

I have no idea how skilled bakers manage to work something this slack, but they clearly can. It's also frustrating because I've made this recipe before and I don't remember it being anywhere near this flaccid.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Much better. Super easy to shape, held it's structure together well, just night and day from the soggy pancake I dealt with yesterday.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I get those floppy doughs with higher hydrations and I think it's an issue of not shaping enough. I still suck at the various high-hydration methods to shape them.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think that’s the benefit of high hydration. You can really strengthen the poo poo out of it without tearing so you get some more interesting crumb.

No reason to go that way if you’re happy with lower hydration bread! There’s a whole world of very delightful breads to work with and they’re all good and delicious and worth our time. High hydration sourdough sucks to work with and getting skillful at it doesn’t really make it fun, just worth it for some people.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

This video really helped me get comfortable working with high hydration dough, I hope it helps some of y'all too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEG1BjWroT0

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

How much shaping typically goes into a higher hydration dough, before it starts to hold shape? The one, above, that I ended up chucking probably took two turn and folds, a coil fold, and two envelope folds while still ending up runny as hell.

What's your record for how much shaping you had to do before things finally stopped being slack?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

plester1 posted:

This video really helped me get comfortable working with high hydration dough, I hope it helps some of y'all too:

drat this was helpful

E: vvv Same lol. Didn't realize what the point of the action was so I was ruining it vvvv

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 17, 2023

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Soul Dentist posted:

drat this was helpful

Welp, that explains it - during my folding, I was almost certainly stretching the dough past the point where it started tearing.
:smithmouth:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

plester1 posted:

This is a great video, thanks!

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
How would you make cornbread for stuffing? I'm making 2 loaves, one of the table and one for stuffing, and I think I'm going to just make the same dough for both, but work the second one more so the gluten develops and it holds together better.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I'd decrease any sugar a lot and add a bit more cornmeal for the stuffing one vs the table one. Less salt too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HolHorsejob posted:

How would you make cornbread for stuffing? I'm making 2 loaves, one of the table and one for stuffing, and I think I'm going to just make the same dough for both, but work the second one more so the gluten develops and it holds together better.
The kind of cornbread I make doesn't have enough gluten to shape. Furthermore, it's raised with baking powder, which means it needs to go to the over as soon as possible.

Are you making a yeast-raised cornbread? If not, the techniques you list won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I made a really good high hydration bread for thanksgiving and TBH it was the easiest thing I've ever baked.

500 grams of King Arthur Bread Flour
375 grams of water
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon salt

Mixed it all together in the same bowl on Sunday night. Didn't kneed, didn't do poo poo to it other than mix it enough to make sure everything was moist.
Covered it with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out.
Put it in my fridge.
Took it out today 2 hours before dinner. let it warm up, then shaped it into two logs. All i did to manage shaping it was to dust the counter top and my hands with flour, worked the dough only enough to get it into two log shapes. Otherwise it was very very wet.

Let it rise for an hour.
Turned oven to 475.
Put into oven. Sprayed the poo poo out of the oven with water from a misting spray bottle to add steam.
Lowered heat to 450.
Cooked for 25ish minutes until crust was golden brown.
Let sit for 15 minutes.
Served. It was gone in 5 minutes, everyone was gorging themselves on it.

The ratio of water and flour is really important. I went with 75% water to flour and that seems to work pretty well. Might try 80 or even 85% sometime too.