Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
They don't have elevated rail as you can build standard rail on top of roads. Which also means that the ground stations is all we get, at least for the time being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvu56hElNxw&t=772s

Doesn't really look nice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Reviews for this are pretty brutal right now, but they all kind of say that theres a good foundation in there its just crippled by the performance issues.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Holding out for a performance patch before I consider picking this up.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

pointlessone posted:

alright

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

pointlessone posted:

ok

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014
Has there been any talk about what time this releases on Tuesday? So far everything just says 10/24.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Captain Melo posted:

Has there been any talk about what time this releases on Tuesday? So far everything just says 10/24.

When in doubt, 10AM PST.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Raymond T. Racing posted:

When in doubt, 10AM PST.

Yeah the Steam release is pointing to this (or an hour before)

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

gamepass is saying noon est

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So stoked for the 24th, I can’t wait to play Return to Moria.

And then this in a month or two when they fix all this performance bullshit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It seems likely that there's lots of optimisations to come but it sounds like there's been a decent amount of fix in the last few days anyway, at least enough to make it already tolerable.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
True urbanists would suffer a little pain for day-1 pedestrian streets and mixed-use zoning. You’re all cowards imho

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

For anyone planning on doing a Game Pass trial to see how this runs, pre load is available and it's a 57gb download

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Tarnop posted:

For anyone planning on doing a Game Pass trial to see how this runs, pre load is available and it's a 57gb download

Nice, that's not bad at all. I just picked up the 2 week trial of Game Pass to see how Forza runs, so I might as well see how this does too.

I assume it's usually the case that Steam versions and MS store versions save games don't play well together? Or is it totally dependant on the game?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ABen posted:

Nice, that's not bad at all. I just picked up the 2 week trial of Game Pass to see how Forza runs, so I might as well see how this does too.

I assume it's usually the case that Steam versions and MS store versions save games don't play well together? Or is it totally dependant on the game?

It looks like it's dependent on the game. If it is possible, the process is pretty much what you'd expect: install the game on Steam, start a new game, save it. Then find where the respective save folders are and copy one over the other. PC gaming wiki usually has save file locations noted

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
57GB is a bunch of assets alright. Sounds like decent variety in models hopefully.

My current CS1 folder is just like 15GB, with plenty of DLC.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is it a 57 gig download or a 57 gig disc footprint after the load has expanded itself? (If this is a game that does that)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MikeJF posted:

Is it a 57 gig download or a 57 gig disc footprint after the load has expanded itself? (If this is a game that does that)

My install folder says it's 56.6GB but it's hard to know if there's more to unpack that will only happen when it's out.

Edit: Hoping this is a game that'll let me play early if I do the ol' region switcharoo. Should be able to play tonight after 5 est if so.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 23, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wait, this a staggered launch? People still do that?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Game sites say it is simultaneous launch. 18:00 Central Europe, 12:00 East America, 09:00 West America.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I only found this 2 hours after it started, but Colossal Order is hosting an Ask Us Anything on reddit

https://old.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17ekhtw/were_colossal_order_the_developers_of_cities/

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ooo, neat.

(Jeez, only 30 people on the team?)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MikeJF posted:

The game pass app says 57 gig disk space required so the latter

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

The first game was made by eight or nine people so it's actually a big expansion.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played CS in awhile but I am very ready to jump back in with CS2 tomorrow. Hopefully performance isn't too bad, sounds like it's somewhat hardware specific.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Grand Fromage posted:

The first game was made by eight or nine people so it's actually a big expansion.

Some of the new people featured in the CS2-videos seem to be too young to have been part of the original team.
:corsair:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I’ve decided to go for it tomorrow and do a huge day 1 CPU performance comparison post. Apparently the game is mostly GPU limited, but we will find out how low you can go on the CPU side.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

City Planner Plays tested almost my exact system with good results so I'm in. AMA also mentioned a day 1 performance patch that among other things reduces VRAM use significantly.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Steam's preload is up and it's 51.55GB

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Why use any of the default maps, when you can terraform your own for 5 hours?

Guaranteed to be flat.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grand Fromage posted:

City Planner Plays tested almost my exact system with good results so I'm in. AMA also mentioned a day 1 performance patch that among other things reduces VRAM use significantly.

The VRAM stuff is good news, it really seemed like a huge factor in the CPP tests. I'm fine ticking an option that says give me 30 FPS in exchange for not being able to read the text on a sign in front of a pharmacy

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The original game loaded every texture separately, so if 20 buildings used the same texture it got loaded into memory 20 times, so you would get Loading Screen Mod and have it just do the texture once. I hope this game doesn't have dumb poo poo like that in it but if mods can double the performance the way they did with 1 I'm okay with that too.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grand Fromage posted:

The original game loaded every texture separately, so if 20 buildings used the same texture it got loaded into memory 20 times, so you would get Loading Screen Mod and have it just do the texture once. I hope this game doesn't have dumb poo poo like that in it but if mods can double the performance the way they did with 1 I'm okay with that too.

:ughh:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

You've got it backwards, I think: if it got stupid stuff like that, the performance may actually be fixable. When nothing dumb is going on it also means there no big gains without fundamental changes.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
He means he wants nothing dumb to be going on, but he's also fine in its own way if it's so egregiously dumb that even modders can day-/week-1 fix it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

MikeJF posted:

Ooo, neat.

People on the subreddit all sound like they think the game is from a AAA studio with tons of staff, making a bajillion dollars off of the first game + DLC, but no its a small studio who have only ever made like 4 games ever. C:S1 was a huge leap for the studio, it was a lot more involved than Cities in Motion.

The weird ones are the redditors comparing the launch to like, Cyberpunk 2077, Starfield, etc.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I don’t know one single thing about game development- how is it that the game had a seemingly unknown performance issue (unknown to the devs that is) this close to the release, and further, how is it possible that the solution was just to flip a few switches?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jewmanji posted:

I don’t know one single thing about game development- how is it that the game had a seemingly unknown performance issue (unknown to the devs that is) this close to the release, and further, how is it possible that the solution was just to flip a few switches?

it wasn't unknown. i assume that they were hoping to be able to optimize the game more quickly but that didn't work out for whatever reason. it also can't really be fixed by flipping a few switches unless you count turning things off as fixing them

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

They very likely have sturdy computers for the office to do stuff on, so during the lead-up focus is just elsewhere. The masses have infinite number of combinations of parts and settings, and the office can never replicate that, really.

Hence also why talking about performance can often be banned in the embargo because they are sending small patches every single day to the testers, and performance isn't high on the list. You could be constantly changing something that makes it chug, and while people would scream themselves mad over it and call "omg the performance sucks!", they aren't worried about it then and there.

Now that final weeks are here, it's time to start locking in place what you have and looking at poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I was being a bit reductive, but I just meant that if there’s some toggles already built into the options that seem to ameliorate things quite a bit, it just seems slightly weird to me. Like I said, game development may as well be rocket science to me.

Ah, interesting, thanks!