Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
maybe once they start giving out packs constantly for gamepass subscribers it'll go back up

edit: it is the 16th most popular game category on twitch right now and only 3k less than minecraft, so shrug

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'll give it credit, the monetization in this game has greatly improved over the first few years where you'd grind out like 30 gold per day and anything else would cost $$, but it's got a downward spiral side effect where if I feel burnt out on a particular expansion (like now) I'm less inclined to play the next one because I'm not going into it with a bunch of gold.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
twist has helped a bunch for me while I'm rebuilding a collection after a long time away, though I do wish it was a more fun format

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

flatluigi posted:

maybe once they start giving out packs constantly for gamepass subscribers it'll go back up

edit: it is the 16th most popular game category on twitch right now and only 3k less than minecraft, so shrug

Does Dota always put up such strong numbers compared to League or is there a tourney or something going on?

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

kater posted:

33k viewers on twitch. so this game is hella dead huh

i mean it ain't dead, but it's def. dying.

only thing propping this up is really a few folks that people like watching, and the drops.

drops even brought a pulse back to d4 (until it ends as well).

twist has been ok, but it's nowhere near the success that they had hoped for and i'm not saying it's gonna go the way of mercs but they aren't about to start selling twist only packs like they tried to with wild.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Does Dota always put up such strong numbers compared to League or is there a tourney or something going on?

I think an early stage of worlds is happening for both right now so a lot of it is time zones. League's in Korea this year so games start at like 3 AM in the US.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Secret rogue is good. Secret rogue will get you to legend.

### Secret Rogue
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 1x (0) Shadow of Demise
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 2x (1) Breakdance
# 2x (1) Concoctor
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 2x (2) Double Cross
# 2x (2) Ghoulish Alchemist
# 2x (2) Perjury
# 2x (2) Potion Belt
# 1x (2) Potionmaster Putricide
# 2x (2) Serrated Bone Spike
# 1x (2) Sticky Situation
# 2x (3) Ghastly Gravedigger
# 2x (4) Prison Breaker
# 2x (4) Private Eye
# 1x (5) MC Blingtron
# 1x (15) Yogg-Saron, Unleashed
#
AAECAY7ABAbe2gTMoAXooAXipAXrwwWplQYM9p8E958E3NoE3doE9d0Ew+ME9+0E3aAF36AF4KAF38MFwpoGAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Do it.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Doji Sekushi posted:

Secret rogue is good. Secret rogue will get you to legend.

### Secret Rogue
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 1x (0) Shadow of Demise
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 2x (1) Breakdance
# 2x (1) Concoctor
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 2x (2) Double Cross
# 2x (2) Ghoulish Alchemist
# 2x (2) Perjury
# 2x (2) Potion Belt
# 1x (2) Potionmaster Putricide
# 2x (2) Serrated Bone Spike
# 1x (2) Sticky Situation
# 2x (3) Ghastly Gravedigger
# 2x (4) Prison Breaker
# 2x (4) Private Eye
# 1x (5) MC Blingtron
# 1x (15) Yogg-Saron, Unleashed
#
AAECAY7ABAbe2gTMoAXooAXipAXrwwWplQYM9p8E958E3NoE3doE9d0Ew+ME9+0E3aAF36AF4KAF38MFwpoGAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Do it.

Any tips on using it? For some reason I get smashed whenever I try it.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI

Strawberry Panda posted:

Any tips on using it? For some reason I get smashed whenever I try it.

Hard to explain. I kinda pilot it by feel. Typically you just use your bounce effects to maximize value. Depends on the game. The secrets are there primarily to keep your hand stocked.

Sometimes I’ll bounce Yogg a bunch of times and steal poo poo, sometimes I’ll bounce Astalor for huge armor or damage. Sometimes you’ll just bounce Prison Breaker a bunch of times to keep the board clear.

It’s really matchup-dependent and you need to be able to find openings to exploit.

it also pays to know when you’re simply not gonna win.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
How often do you hit the Blingtron-Astalor combo? I really don't see myself crafting Blingtron, but if he's massively OP then maybe. Is it there more for weapon disruption?

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Hardly ever. I'm using blingtron as either weapon hate or a finisher when I need that extra 2-3 damage.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
What the hell is Hearthstone like these days? I thought I might pick it up again since Bobby Kotick is on his way out. I haven't played since a little before they started rotating sets. I used Renolock back then!

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

jasoneatspizza posted:

What the hell is Hearthstone like these days? I thought I might pick it up again since Bobby Kotick is on his way out. I haven't played since a little before they started rotating sets. I used Renolock back then!

i'm just going to leave this here for you... https://clips.twitch.tv/ObliqueTangentialPotatoDogFace-uNDrHcrUt4jWCp7b

if you managed to stay away, it might be for the better. perhaps another card game will quench your thirst... say marvel snap? or maybe another less rng highroll blizzard game such as d4....

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Last King posted:

i'm just going to leave this here for you... https://clips.twitch.tv/ObliqueTangentialPotatoDogFace-uNDrHcrUt4jWCp7b

if you managed to stay away, it might be for the better. perhaps another card game will quench your thirst... say marvel snap? or maybe another less rng highroll blizzard game such as d4....

That video is me every game lol.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
There’s a lot to criticize about Standard currently, but I don’t know that “too much RNG” would be in my top thirty. If anything, the opposite is true — the best decks are too consistent and too able to do the same thing every game.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Last King posted:

i mean it ain't dead, but it's def. dying.

only thing propping this up is really a few folks that people like watching, and the drops.

I wonder if Twitch in general is suffering? I know I went from a daily HS watcher to only watching for drops and special events when they got really aggressive about adblockers a few years ago.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

bravesword posted:

There’s a lot to criticize about Standard currently, but I don’t know that “too much RNG” would be in my top thirty. If anything, the opposite is true — the best decks are too consistent and too able to do the same thing every game.

If I were a Hearthstone scientist, I'd examine how much overall card draw has increased over the last two years, and then explore whether a causal connection between increased card draw and increased consistency is a sustainable hypothesis.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Boatswain posted:

If I were a Hearthstone scientist, I'd examine how much overall card draw has increased over the last two years, and then explore whether a causal connection between increased card draw and increased consistency is a sustainable hypothesis.

It’s tricky, because you do want some level of draw in the game. The early years of Hearthstone show, and Twist reminds us, how boring games are when your only access to new cards is one draw per turn. But there’s gotta be some medium between that and “you can draw your whole deck before turn ten, if you want.”

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
The answer as always is “delete Druid”.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

orangelex44 posted:

The answer as always is “delete Druid”.

And priest.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

GTO posted:

And priest.

Let's just delete the game before we all spend a while listing our most hated classes

hunter of course

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Boatswain posted:

I think the Twitch numbers show this game doesn't have enough draw. :mmmhmm:

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Nerfs on Thursday:

—Embrace of Nature to 2 mana
—Rake to 2 mana
—Prison Breaker deals 2 damage (down from 3)
—Yogg costs 9 with no reduction effect, now casts two random spells whenever he uses an ability
—Tony: Costs 7, permanently replaces your deck with a copy of the opponent’s instead of swapping, unbanned in all formats
—Jailer: Only makes himself immune, unbanned in all formats

These are mostly okay, but I fear they’ve completely killed the two most impactful cards from the miniset. I’m not sure what deck even wants Yogg now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, feels like more often than not Yogg is just going to merc himself and and give your opponent a free turn.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
rip yogg, you were a fun card to abuse and now you're 1600 free dust

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
tony back in wild ugh

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Desert Bus posted:

tony back in wild ugh

he no longer does anything to the opponent's deck

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
tony has finally found his niche as Worse Benedictus

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

flatluigi posted:

he no longer does anything to the opponent's deck

oh thank god i read that wrong

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Tony should've been nerfed to "Draw Cards from your Opponent's deck until your hand is full."

Or, if that's too powerful: "You and your opponent take turns drawing from their deck until someone's hand is full." I'm sure that one could be phrased more concisely.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Jailer is dead, Tony is dead, Yogg is extra super loving dead. Welp, back to mech rogue then.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I liked Jailer as a super late finisher in control decks, now it is literally 10 mana "lose the game"

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Just like the Mukla random discard, nobody should want ‘entirely random’ discards of opponent cards. If you choose to play cards that discard, fine, you’re taking the risk or utilising tech that supports it. But having your cards discarded at random sucks, because having your game decided because the RNG took a critical component you never even got to draw is rear end. Tony was just that to 11, and I wildly prefer this version.

Shame about Yogg - as noted, he’s probably just gonna delete himself a lot, so he’s doubly not worth it now the discount is gone. (Stop letting cards discount below 1 Blizzard, it’s been years of this.)

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 23, 2023

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

It is over. I have finished my completely pointless quest to acquire and max out every single mercenaries card. Not one pack bought, not one pvp match ever played, never have nor will look at the boss rush mode. Just pure checkbox ticking for the sake of it. I am free (until the next spell school daily I guess those are still much faster to complete in this mode)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I mean yogg and prison breaker were basically "what if we gave every class Super Hysteria, discounted Mind Control, and a 3 damage consecration" so I'm not shocked that they dominated the format

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I was expecting Prison Breaker nerf to be either "5 mana" or "more spells required"

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Lots of Rainbow DK support this set, all but one card would work

It might be Climactic Necrotic Explosion’s time

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

It will never be CNE's time unless they buff it. I played it a good amount of time and even when it worked I was like "why did I even bother?".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
god please just let DK be playable if nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I'm ok with DK being playable as long as we do not end up with indeterminable Blood DK games which stretch out into infinity as your regrets pile up.