Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

most people don't need to get on an interstate freeway to commute to work if 3/4ths of all car trips are ten miles or less

I don't think I've ever had to get on an interstate to commute to work in my entire life, come to think of it

I don't think your time at the lollipop guild is comparable for the rest of america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I don't think I've ever had to get on an interstate to commute to work in my entire life, come to think of it

Lucky you.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

"Scooters are unusable in America because they can't be used on an interstate freeway" is a meaningless statement if 3/4ths of all car trips don't involve an interstate freeway

mystes
May 31, 2006

"Interstate freeway" is probably overly specific, but unfortunately, in a lot of places it's basically impossible to get around without getting on some sort of highway or other road with a 50+ mph speed limit

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Every road can have a speed limit that's too high now that drivers decided that all signs and laws are optional.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Ensign Expendable posted:

Every road can have a speed limit that's too high now that drivers decided that all signs and laws are optional.

I love all the people that speed and run stop signs inside the state parks. It's gotten so bad that the nearby one set up some of those "your speed" radar signs and installed the stop signs with the red blinking lights. Out of my way, I'm here to relax and recreate and I'm in a big angry hurry to do it!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

They could take that guy's license away, but if that's that his method of commuting to work, that could cost them their job and their home. if they have kids that could cost their kids their home.

people don't do stuff just to be wicked assholes and to mess with you. they don't do stuff because they hate everyone else and hate kids and want to run them over. they probably did not think about it because they were focused their own poo poo, as most people are

it isn't healthy to feel that hostile towards strangers and assume they to you
u need to work with people and at least try to understand why they do stuff if you want them to change what they're doing, making assumptions and picking fights over them is ineffective at best and makes you look dumb

so we should probably just give that guy some sort of medal and let him continue to run over kids

quote:

He was driving on a suspended license and didn’t have insurance, police report.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

"Interstate freeway" is probably overly specific, but unfortunately, in a lot of places it's basically impossible to get around without getting on some sort of highway or other road with a 50+ mph speed limit

The scooter doesn't need to be able to go the speed limit though?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

sorry it's punching down to suggest driving anything but the biggest, heaviest, fastest vehicle you can afford

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

No no, it needs to go 20 over to keep up with traffic

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De2v1bF_r2c

children take public transit, grown-rear end adults with jobs are supposed to buy a car asap

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

5 over seems to be the norm in the Philly area at least.

mystes
May 31, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

In the US if you're going substantially slower than the speed limit on a highway you're gong to get run over. In some places it's probably illegal, too.

Obviously people shouldn't run people over for driving below the speed limit, and I don't think speeding (or creating a situation where everyone speeds) is good, but there is some justification to the idea that speed differentials are dangerous, so rather than trying to say that people should be able to go really slow on interstates, I think the better solution is to require roads to be built in such a way that you never have to go on a high speed highway to travel between two points and ensure that roads that aren't highways have lower speed limits (i.e. get rid of stroads in the broad sense)

The problem is that stuff is now laid out in a lot of places so that in newly constructed towns, a highway is literally the only route through the town.

mystes has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Oct 23, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mystes posted:

In the US if you're going substantially slower than the speed limit on a highway you're gong to get run over. In some places it's probably illegal, too.

Obviously people shouldn't run people over for driving below the speed limit, and I don't think speeding (or creating a situation where everyone speeds) is good, but there is some justification to the idea that speed differentials are dangerous, so rather than trying to say that people should be able to go really slow on interstates, I think the better solution is to require roads to be built in such a way that you never have to go on a high speed highway to travel between two points and ensure that roads that aren't highways have lower speed limits (i.e. get rid of stroads in the broad sense)

The problem is that stuff is now laid out in a lot of places so that in newly constructed towns, a highway is literally the only route through the town.

You have to be going pretty drat slow for it to be illegal. The minimum speed limit on most freeways is 40mph.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Twerk from Home posted:

You have to be going pretty drat slow for it to be illegal. The minimum speed limit on most freeways is 40mph.

Yeah but remember that drivers will pull out a gun a shoot you if you go the speed limit, let alone slower.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it is illegal to drive an electric scooter on any highway with a posted limit higher than 30 mph in NY state

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

scooters and ebikes rule

cars drool

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it is illegal to drive an electric scooter on any highway with a posted limit higher than 30 mph in NY state

this is the chance for my skates to shine

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

You're talking about something like a razor kick scooter, it's completely legal to ride an electric scooter on freeways: https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/urban_mobility/ce04.html

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if 125 cc isn't good enough for you, maybe a bicycle is more your speed.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

You're talking about something like a razor kick scooter, it's completely legal to ride an electric scooter on freeways: https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/urban_mobility/ce04.html

there are plenty of electric scooters, mopeds, whatever you want to call them that do not go above 30 mph and are also not "razor kick scooters".

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
getting baited into the dumbest loving arguments by a dude who's literally named after a dirtbike

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

just ride a bike, fatty

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mystes posted:

ya

two wheel vehicles need to be able to accelerate when turning or they can't keep enuf weight on the rear wheel
well everything does but two wheeled stuff will fall over if it can't

being a close to a vehicles actual speed limit impairs handling ability in a way that's particularly not good with trucks going by you at 10-+20mph with poo poo possibly falling off of them or laying in the road
top speed and acceleration r for more than just going forward
being able to dictate positioning around larger traffic is useful

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
skill issue

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Rail fans versus guy riding his bicycle home from work: who is more cringe?

Neither are as cringe as the title.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

500excf type r posted:

Department of labor says its 30 minutes by car, 50 minutes by public transportation, 75-90% of people commute by personal vehicle.

Minutes arent equivalent to miles.

For example in seattle its like a loving hour during commuting time to go 8 miles by car but only like 40 minutes by bike. I assume less if you were taking a scooter or ebike.

One of the things all my biking coworkers say they really like about it is how consistent it is. There's no worry about an accident or a traffic jam totally loving up your time. It's pretty much always going to be the same commute time every time barring some car brain dooring you.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Oct 23, 2023

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

One of the things all my biking coworkers say they really like about it is how consistent it is. There's no worry about an accident or a traffic jam totally loving up your time. It's pretty much always going to be the same commute time every time barring some car brain dooring you.
Mostly true. lovely weather will slow you down maybe, but that's about it.

That lane splitting video a page back has a very entertaining twist at the end.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Albinator posted:

Mostly true. lovely weather will slow you down maybe, but that's about it.
most importantly, lovely weather slows you by a predictable amount.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cars are going to be cheap and affordable any minute, you guys

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antoniopequenoiv/2023/10/21/americans-are-overdue-with-their-car-payments-at-highest-rate-in-nearly-30-years/

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The pictures of the aftermath of some fog in New Orleans remind me of that one picture from the snowstorm in Atlanta a few years ago

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

most importantly, lovely weather slows you by a predictable amount.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The pictures of the aftermath of some fog in New Orleans remind me of that one picture from the snowstorm in Atlanta a few years ago

I guess if you drive like an rear end in a top hat it slows you by whatever speed you were going lmao

Apr 7, 2003

Fifteen year old kid got run over on Wednesday while riding his skateboard on a narrow residential street a few blocks from me. He’s in a medically induced coma because his head is all hosed up. Driver “stayed on the scene”, which is code for “no charges”

whoops, that kid died from his injuries. No charges! Just an accident!

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/west/2023/10/24/charles-thornbug-skateboard-fatal-crash/stories/202310240068

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Fitzy Fitz posted:

atlanta only got 2-3 inches of snow total when that happened btw lol

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

AMLO fighting for passenger rail

https://twitter.com/BloombergAsia/status/1716887605378179319

quote:

“What we’re looking to do is apply a clause that is in the concessions. According to this clause, the Mexican state, which represents public interests, can use the train routes for passenger trains in the whole country,” AMLO said. “It’s important for us to put it into practice, but we have to talk to those who have the concessions first.”

“If for some reason they don’t accept, the state would be allowed to carry out the service directly or give the concession to other companies,” he said.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

more good news

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1716869781608104432

NoU
Dec 31, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

Minutes arent equivalent to miles.

For example in seattle its like a loving hour during commuting time to go 8 miles by car but only like 40 minutes by bike. I assume less if you were taking a scooter or ebike.

i used to take the 44 from ballard to UW and the evening commute home was atrocious, at least an hour. switched to bike and cut it in half. bikes ftw

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Guess I'll have to drink and drive now

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wow i can't believe CA did something good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If only there was some sort of a metal highway (to reduce rolling resistance) you could run cars on that requires few, if any, drivers compared to the number of people riding along.