Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Der Kyhe posted:

Turns out Erdogan collected *and* got the last laugh by making Orban look stupid.

Say what you will about Erdogan, dude absolutely knows how to play politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Not defending the Telegram post, but pretty sure they were just using that photo as a way of identifying the type of vehicle. I think they were just putting the video next to that picture as a way of showing that the vehicle in the video was the same type as the vehicle in the photo, not saying that the vehicle in the photo was used in Ukraine. Still probably misidentified, though.

Yeah, that's what it was.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

The last sound a Ukrainian defender hears before they are incapacitated...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqc6yRIHiW0
...by laughter.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Antigravitas posted:

The M3? I doubt Ukraine will ever get any of those, that's the serious business "the bridges across the Oder are blown and we must roll tank companies east" capability.

Who's going to blow the bridges across the Oder and why?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Ein Teil dieser Antworten könnte die Bevölkerung verunsichern.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

There's evidence that the gas line between Finland and Estonia was cut by a Chinese ship. Investigation has turned up that the Chinese ship was within a nautical mile of the cut area at the time, and also apparently slowed down to a little over a knot over the pipeline. Scans of the area have also revealed that there's apparently some very heavy and dense object buried in the silt right by the pipe. The current theory seems to be that some ship either dropped something very heavy directly on top of the pipe, or dragged its anchor into it. Probably the latter considering how difficult it would be to do a precision drop with something from the surface.

Nothing concrete yet, because there was also a Russian ship in the area right around the time, so one or both of them could just have been there by happenstance.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

There's footage today of Russian troops "advancing" by walking single-file through an open field (they're not fired upon in this particular video)

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1716498930819572029#m

This is a literal death march :psyduck:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The_Franz posted:

There's footage today of Russian troops "advancing" by walking single-file through an open field (they're not fired upon in this particular video)

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1716498930819572029#m

This is a literal death march :psyduck:

i seriously dont get why they are doing this. like your doing ww1 tactics against a modern heavly defended town turned base/etc. like i get that they don't give a gently caress about human lives because putin and friends they can death korps of kreig everything but even those guys used tactics and armor support.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There is a tree line right there!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The SSU almost killed the head of the Russian General Staff, Valery Gerasimov. The United States told them that was going too far and told them to stop. Ukrainian forces received word too late and the bombardment of Gerasimov's positions was underway. Alas, he lives to gently caress up another day

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

There's evidence that the gas line between Finland and Estonia was cut by a Chinese ship. Investigation has turned up that the Chinese ship was within a nautical mile of the cut area at the time, and also apparently slowed down to a little over a knot over the pipeline. Scans of the area have also revealed that there's apparently some very heavy and dense object buried in the silt right by the pipe. The current theory seems to be that some ship either dropped something very heavy directly on top of the pipe, or dragged its anchor into it. Probably the latter considering how difficult it would be to do a precision drop with something from the surface.

Nothing concrete yet, because there was also a Russian ship in the area right around the time, so one or both of them could just have been there by happenstance.

I really don't think China wants the smoke

not out of the goodness of their heart

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

The SSU almost killed the head of the Russian General Staff, Valery Gerasimov. The United States told them that was going too far and told them to stop. Ukrainian forces received word too late and the bombardment of Gerasimov's positions was underway. Alas, he lives to gently caress up another day

Didn't he get a new rear end in a top hat as a souvenir from that trip from a shrapnel?

At least I have a hazy memory of him being medivac'd and missing the next big parade or two because of "injury to lower back".

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 23, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

And of course it was time for Russia to poo poo their pants again.

quote:

Peskov: "Russia must not be threatened"

Kremlin spokesman Dmitir Peskov has reacted to Latvia's president's suggestion to close the Baltic sea to naval traffic. Latvian president Edgars Rinkevics said last week in a TV interview that Nato should block the Baltic Sea off, if it turns out that Russia was responsible for the Balticconnector gas line's damage.

According to Peskov Russia does not tolerate this kind of speech.

- All threats must be taken seriously regardless of who makes them. Russia must not be threatened, Peskov said.

Peskov also denies Russia's involvement in the breakages to the gas line and the data cable, and tried to divert attention to the "terror attack" on the Nord Stream gas pipe.

Finland is investigating a Chinese ship's role in the events, Estonia has also contacted China

The investigation has focused on the Chinese vessel Newnew Polar Bear, according to the Central Criminal Police. China's foreign ministry commented the investigation today on Monday. According to them Finland and China have started collaborating on the issue. Finland's Foreign Ministry would not comment on the situation.

President Sauli Niinistö said today on a state visit to Italy that it's too early to name the guilty party. Even though the Chinese ship was spotted in the area as the pipe was broken, there is so far no proof of who was responsible, or even that the act was intentional, Niinistö reminds.

Estonia has also contacted Chinese government officials regarding the two damaged data cables. Estonia contacted China to "encourage them to work with them" in investigating the breakages, Estonia's Foreign Ministry's spokesperson commented to Reuters.

According to police investigators, the Newnew Polar Vessel, sailing under a Hong Kong flag, was moving around the cables and gas pipe at the time they were broken.

Or what? You'll whine impotently some more? Or sabotage some poo poo?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Happenstance? Your average Russian and Chinese don't take a dump together without a plan.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

the popes toes posted:

Happenstance? Your average Russian and Chinese don't take a dump together without a plan.

I mean, the chance that a Russian and Chinese ship just innocently happened to be over a gas line and data cable that mysteriously were sabotaged at that same time is close to zero. But I guess we have to pretend until there's proof. Of course with the assumption that those were the two ships in the area. For all I know it could be a huge party spot in the Baltic and there were a dozen ships there at the same time.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i seriously dont get why they are doing this. like your doing ww1 tactics against a modern heavly defended town turned base/etc. like i get that they don't give a gently caress about human lives because putin and friends they can death korps of kreig everything but even those guys used tactics and armor support.

Not to get too AUCTUALLY about 40K but yes the Death Korps are extremely willing to die, but no the point of suicide for no reason: they are tactically engenious bastards who will just happen to fight forever over inches of the worst pieces of planets in the Imperium. As you said, they are extremely good at what they do.

This is just throwing conscript meat walls thinking if some get through you win. Shows how utterly derelict the Russian command is for tactics or training.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 23, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The one thing I don't get is why would Chinese be happy to do the heavy lifting for the Russians on this thing, and do an openly hostile act against EU and NATO infrastructure in a place they have absolutely no horse on the race.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Not to get too AUCTUALLY about 40K but yes the Death Korps are extremely willing to die, but no the point of suicide for no reason: they are tactically engenious bastards who will just happen to fight forever over inches of the worst pieces of planets in the Imperium. As you said, they are extremely good at what they do.

This is just throwing conscript meat walls thinking if some get through you win. Shows how utterly derelict the Russian command is for tactics or training.

oh i know. i have a squad of joytoy action figures of kreig along with a squad of sisters. I mean the high command of russia seems to think their military are kriegers and are just ok with pissing away their lives for no gain.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I watched the 2022 version of All Quiet on the Western Front and I couldn't help but notice the similarities of the death marches. Who cares, we must show that the Fatherland is strong, another 40,000 dead soldiers will surely convince them.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Toxic Mental posted:

I watched the 2022 version of All Quiet on the Western Front and I couldn't help but notice the similarities of the death marches. Who cares, we must show that the Fatherland is strong, another 40,000 dead soldiers will surely convince them.
I have the same question from the end of that movie as I do with all the suicide attacks today: how broken must all these men be that they just march to certain death instead of at least trying to kill their CO for wasting their lives for absolutely nothing?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Sashimi posted:

I have the same question from the end of that movie as I do with all the suicide attacks today: how broken must all these men be that they just march to certain death instead of at least trying to kill their CO for wasting their lives for absolutely nothing?

For all we know, they've been told they're going somewhere else.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Sashimi posted:

Well, one dude tried to say he wouldn't do it, and was summarily shot

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if the krieg are on the cover of the book they're smart. if theyre not theyre not. if its the actual tt game depends on how the rolls go

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if the krieg are on the cover of the book they're smart. if theyre not theyre not. if its the actual tt game depends on how the rolls go

the kreig have 3 interprations through the fandom

1. tragic probably cloned child soldiers raised to die for a sin against an uncaring empire and the self inflicted destruction of their world.
2. hard core soldiers who will stand against various horros with unblinking and stupid insane dead eyed courage.
3. guys who kill poo poo with trench shovels.

also basicaly this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ1nufjJt74

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sashimi posted:

idk i found that part stupidly loving dumb because the entire thing ends like its the end of a battlefield match. "WOOPS LOOKS LIKE THE CLOCK RAN OUT, GOOD GAME FRANZ" like i get what they were trying to illustrait but the movie was kinda all over the place.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sashimi posted:

In World War I it wasn't just their CO they'd need to kill, there were tons of troops and officers behind the frontlines and I'm pretty sure "oh our lieutenant told us not to attack after all and to just come back here, and then mysteriously got shot in the back" was going to fly. The governments made drat sure every man knew that you could either join the attack and take your chances, or get shot as a deserter. One way you maybe live, the other way you definitely die. But ultimately I don't think the men fought purely out of fear of the firing squad. I'm sure there were roughly as many reasons as there were men, but people didn't want to let down their pals, their units, their countries, or just had accepted that they were dead already, and therefore who gives a gently caress. Then factor in that they were basically living in hell with literal bodies and body parts falling out of the trench walls, the place stinking so bad you could smell it from miles away, every surface being covered in flies, everyone being lousy with fleas and filthy beyond belief, and then being trapped in a situation where they had to roll the dice on whether they live or die every day. I can't even imagine how quickly that will just completely loving annihilate your psyche.

And it's not like in World War I everyone died. Even if we look at the first day of the Battle of the Somme, which is regarded as one of the (if not the) bloodiest days in the war for the British, of the ~82 000 troops who attacked, "only" 19 000 died (and ~40 000 total were casualties). And as the war progressed and tactics developed, the casualty rates for attackers did come down*.

Now as for the Russians? Yeah, good loving question. It truly is weird that someone like the unit commander who was drunkenly laughing at his guys getting blown up didn't suddenly get a 7.62mm injection in the back of his head.

* at least until the final 100 days of the war when the stalemate broke, the mad dash began and the casualty rates skyrocketed again.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk i found that part stupidly loving dumb because the entire thing ends like its the end of a battlefield match. "WOOPS LOOKS LIKE THE CLOCK RAN OUT, GOOD GAME FRANZ" like i get what they were trying to illustrait but the movie was kinda all over the place.

There are audio recordings from the WW1 showing that this did in fact happen. When the clock hits 11:00 the constant firing of guns just stops.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Der Kyhe posted:

There are audio recordings from the WW1 showing that this did in fact happen. When the clock hits 11:00 the constant firing of guns just stops.

Yep, and until that very moment they very specifically did not. A lot of individual troops and units did decide that with the armistice looming, they weren't going to risk their lives or kill anyone anymore, and just downed tools. But a lot of higher officers decided this was their last chance to get some glory, and started some truly baffling and idiotic assaults in the literal loving hours leading up to the armistice getting tons of their men killed for literally no loving reason.

Peter Hart's The Last Battle is a great book on the final days and moments of World War I, even though it's depressing as gently caress.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Reporting from Ukraine says the Russians finally drove the Ukrainians off the Terrikon waste heap, but haven't yet taken it themselves.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Now as for the Russians? Yeah, good loving question. It truly is weird that someone like the unit commander who was drunkenly laughing at his guys getting blown up didn't suddenly get a 7.62mm injection in the back of his head.

I had the same question and all I could come up with is that anyone thinking of fragging an officer absolutely knows that someone would rat him out for advantage and no Russian CO is going to allow himself to be alone without witnesses.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

the popes toes posted:

I had the same question and all I could come up with is that anyone thinking of fragging an officer absolutely knows that someone would rat him out for advantage and no Russian CO is going to allow himself to be alone without witnesses.

i mean i think there is a bit of "well then what" its not like the US/western military where you might be able to get your psycho officer kick out or replaced if your reported or fragged him, russian higher ups will just replace him with some other sack of poo poo. at best you get some sucidal patriot who gets loving vaporized charging a gun nest.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

marshalljim posted:

Reporting from Ukraine says the Russians finally drove the Ukrainians off the Terrikon waste heap, but haven't yet taken it themselves.

Yep, and Rybar International Telegram said it's taken.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i think there is a bit of "well then what" its not like the US/western military where you might be able to get your psycho officer kick out or replaced if your reported or fragged him, russian higher ups will just replace him with some other sack of poo poo. at best you get some sucidal patriot who gets loving vaporized charging a gun nest.

And even in the western military fragging an officer or disobeying direct order in combat is a serious thing; the chain of command is always honored, with the difference being that the crazy assholes should be rotated out because they do more harm than any good in the long run.

But no rotation/actual vetting and training of the officer corps at any level, no weeding out the ones that went crazy or are crazy going in.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Yep, and Rybar International Telegram said it's taken.

I don't quite believe that yet, but Ukraine having to leave their positions is bad enough.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

marshalljim posted:

What the hell, so the tactics were successful after all. gently caress.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Rybar bull shits way too much to worry about what they say. There's a bunch of Ukraine and Russian channels that you just flat out ignore even if they tell you the sun is rising tomorrow and Rybar is one of them.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

They literally captured a pile of dirt after spending what, 2 weeks of throwing people at it and getting huge amount of soldiers and vehicles killed. To gain what, 1 kilometer? There is still 1000 km of Ukraine to take and the UAF to withdraw to to fight another day.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

They literally captured a pile of dirt after spending what, 2 weeks of throwing people at it and getting huge amount of soldiers and vehicles killed. To gain what, 1 kilometer? There is still 1000 km of Ukraine to take and the UAF to withdraw to to fight another day.

It's over Ukraine! I have the high ground!

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

mobby_6kl posted:

Bakhmut all over again, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Der Kyhe posted:

The problem with this approach is that we'll have to re-take it at some point, probably with the exact same process but in reverse. Putin will also see this as validation that things are progressing and will want to keep going.