Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I saw someone post on reddit about that ball maze from earlier this month and decided to look up a video. The first video I found was by the most annoying person on the current season of Lego Masters. So I found another video about it. I'm kind of glad I didn't try to get it after all. A bunch of the sections of it seem to straight up not even work as part of a ball maze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Funny thing with the viking village is you can slot the free little pirate shark island in among the water base plates so the face is peeking through under the suspension bridge. Not sure if intentional and looks rather weird but neat nonetheless.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cojawfee posted:

I saw someone post on reddit about that ball maze from earlier this month and decided to look up a video. The first video I found was by the most annoying person on the current season of Lego Masters. So I found another video about it. I'm kind of glad I didn't try to get it after all. A bunch of the sections of it seem to straight up not even work as part of a ball maze.

The tech bro?
Or the music teachers

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wait, will arnet has a Lego you tube?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On the topic of yellowing whites, my Mustang is pretty awful. And those blue stripe pieces are unique to this set too. This was not in direct sun.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Cojawfee posted:

Lego Europe apparently ran out of the other GWPs so they brought back the maze and now one's headed my way alongside the Concorde.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

UK LeGoons there's bargains to be had!

I've just been out and about. Aldi has got a bunch of stuff in at a reasonable price

11027 and 11028 (Neon or Pastel) Basic brick packs at 14.99, which seems good, but B&M has them but at £12.00.

Sainsburys is where the money is at though. They had Dreamzzz 71458 for £15 down from £60 (only one left in my shop though). Also the snowmobile with seals for £6 (lowest I've seen it), Boba Fett microfighter for £6 (6.99 in Aldi) and the cheaper Dreamzzz mechs for £13 (down from £19). Oh, they also had the new Friends house (41730) for £30 down from £60, it already seemed like decent value to be honest (nearly 900 parts).

The Crocodile car is a great find though, if you can nab one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I keep meaning to get the Friends onlyfans bedroom (41754) from Sainsburys. They keep putting it down to a tenner.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

My daughter isn't quite into Friends yet, but it'll be soon and then there will be no stopping me. I'm saving for the heavily rumoured Natural History Museum set next year, but am prepared to spill blood for anything interesting at Billund next week.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

The_Doctor posted:

Friends onlyfans bedroom

The wut?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

I just looked it up, it has accessories for one of the dolls to stream content creation, although in this instance it looks like a dude making desserts

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

smackfu posted:

On the topic of yellowing whites, my Mustang is pretty awful. And those blue stripe pieces are unique to this set too. This was not in direct sun.

Yeah mine doesn’t look this bad but I’m still pretty sad about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

HootTheOwl posted:

The tech bro?
Or the music teachers

The tech bro

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

I just looked it up, it has accessories for one of the dolls to stream content creation, although in this instance it looks like a dude making desserts

My little one is mad into Friends so I know you’re talking about Leo’s room which is a cool set and comes with a dumpy cat called Churro.

The friends stuff is really cool and feels kind of like mini modular in terms of little details and that sort of thing. I really enjoy having the prompts for imaginative role play with him.

The only thing that is annoying is the minifigs seem to like to catapult their hair across the room. Leo is one of the worst for this so obviously we have 3 or 4 of him. A cool touch is that they have different outfits in different sets.

I like Friends a lot and the play opportunities it opens for me and my child. He likes friends a lot because he likes the people and the animals and the vehicles. Friends is good imo.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Friends are very cute and I like how colorful and funky and fun the sets are. I really want some of the larger buildings for my city, but sometimes I swear the large Friends sets are more expensive than like, the City sets.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

the viking village is basically perfect in every way - piece count, price, design, technique, etc. my only complaint about it is that i think they couldve done the water plates better so they actually line up and dont have tehse weird jutting edges

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm starting to go through my childhood sets and see what's worth trying to sell, etc. And i figured there's no better way to inventory it all than to build it.

So I started with this bin:

That had some neat sets in it:

Not sure why I was this organized about it at like 7 years old

Just built most of 6765 for now. No where near the details that newer stuff has, but more than some of the like mid 2010 stuff I've seen posted. Also the neat exploding bank vault:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Jang has gotten better again, you could tell when he very much wasn't happy with both his channel and stuff around it. Having 1 big overarching channel for both your own city, and reviews also obviously doesn't mesh well with modern youtube and it's algorithm stuff.

PriorMarcus posted:

I agree about M&R, he was and still is awful. He's also on that uncomfortable line for me where his personal views detract from any pleasure I could get from him, even though he doesn't espouse them too often. Cutting him, Just2Good and a couple of others out of my algorithm did wonders for my positivity towards the hobby.
What personal views do you mean? Do you mean them in the "The Last Jedi murdered my firstborn" sense or in the political yikes sense?
I aways confuse him for the MandJ Pokemon dude as well, not that I really watch either of them.

I also like HollyOnFilm once in a while she did a cute custom barbie house build, and RobinHoodBricks while being a bit of a dry nerd has a pretty fun custom city series; both of them are mostly background noise/watching though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PX3WW5N/ref=sw_img_1?th=1

Treehouse for $145. Over 40% off and isn't it about to retire. This is a smashing good deal.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Can the Viking village be broken apart into smaller segments? or at least not a very long display piece? I wanted to buy it but not too sure if it would fit into a Detolf.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

obi_ant posted:

Can the Viking village be broken apart into smaller segments? or at least not a very long display piece? I wanted to buy it but not too sure if it would fit into a Detolf.

It's three different segments that attach together with "mechanical claw clips" and bar pieces that are fully hidden within the built up base areas when put together. You could easily display as much as you want, or have room for, at any time.

The set kicks a bunch of rear end.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

BaconCopter posted:

It's three different segments that attach together with "mechanical claw clips" and bar pieces that are fully hidden within the built up base areas when put together. You could easily display as much as you want, or have room for, at any time.

The set kicks a bunch of rear end.

I wonder why they didn't use the clip/bar bricks like in Eldorado or some more elegant solution, looks like those claw clips just come out of their holes when you pull them apart. Not a huge deal, but I wonder why since it looks like the Eldorado solution (it's also used in some parts of the Lion Knights Castle iirc) works great and seems much more stable. Shouldn't even be a money-saving feature, I doubt the cost difference between a brick with clip/brick with bar and a standard headlight brick with a claw stuffed in/some bar on the other side to clip to is THAT significant.

Anyway, just waiting for Majisto GWP to grab the Viking village so I guess I'll be able to compare those solutions side by side soon, hopefully - we need GWP info for November already :argh:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 23, 2023

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I entered the Holiday sweepstakes, pretty cool contest.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I entered the Holiday sweepstakes, pretty cool contest.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/win-your-holiday-wishlist

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Probably smart of them not to show the dollar value of your wish list, mine's probably $3k or more, but that's mostly because I started with the Titanic and Concorde.

Also I feel stupid, the last purchases I made were off Amazon because I wanted them shipped a little faster, but now I don't have any reward points for them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Thanks, I couldn’t find it anywhere on the Lego site.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

oh nice now the lego website has two popups whenever you visit it, the kids portal and the GDPR compliance.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like the idea of an adult winning that is sort of hilarious. But even the promo pic they are using even has a grown rear end woman lol.

It's kind of funny how just over the course of the last few years, Lego went from being quietly aware of Lego adults, to full on pandering to us.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

xzzy posted:

oh nice now the lego website has two popups whenever you visit it, the kids portal and the GDPR compliance.

I guarantee there is not a single soul in their web development department that wants to take on Legal.

I’ve taken screenshots to document a change of border thickness on cookie banner buttons at Legal’s request for my employer.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like the idea of an adult winning that is sort of hilarious. But even the promo pic they are using even has a grown rear end woman lol.

It's kind of funny how just over the course of the last few years, Lego went from being quietly aware of Lego adults, to full on pandering to us.

Like most nostalgia-products, Lego knows A) AFOLs have a lot more money than parents with kids, and B) realize societies aren't having as many kids as they used to.

I think it's a little sad honestly that a lot of the products are now geared more towards AFOLs, but it is what it is.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
As part of my ongoing obsession with Ghostbusters, Legos, and Ghostbusters Legos, I bought Mould King's Ghost Bus. Here's a few thoughts about it.

The finished build looks pretty good. I had added the No Ghost sticker myself, which is curious since it included the logo on the sticker sheet for the hood and tailgate. The design attempts to include the red and silver striping on the side in some places but gives up on it in others for some reason. :confused: The red portion towards the rear should have a decorative pattern that would add a lot, but they left that out too. The over all shape is a solid likeness though.

The roof pops off and reattaches cleanly giving easy access to the interior. (This is not the case on the official 1984 set because technic axles connect it to operate the steering and moving greeblies on its roof.) The interior looks accurate, except for the baffling Joker face and international Arrivals and Departures stickers. :lol: The sliding gurney should really have a proton pack or two on it though, and an extra couple of ecto tools would be a nice touch.

The roof greeblies are the most interesting part. They look good imo, however the roof rack they are mounted on is too fragile and a frustrating build. They also omitted the warning light that should be on the front, a bizarre choice. Maybe is because it should be trans yellow and 4x4 round and 3 or 4 bricks tall, which might be a problem for moulds. Black tubes are included to suggest cabling between some of the greeblies, but you have to cut them to get the right lengths, but they are too thick to slide into through holes easily, and don't flex well.

This was a curious step. You are supposed to attach the rack and pinion assembly (left) to soon-to-be cab assembly via the blue tecnic pins, however to do so they must be perfectly oriented with the black pin-to-female-axle connectors on the R+P. It took me a while to figure this out and was a pain to accomplish. It's weird, because they could have just copied the nearly identical assembly from the official Icons Ecto-1.

These two pieces were new to me. Lego makes them, I had just never encountered them before. I hosed up the placement on the 1 x 5 plate because I mistook it for a 1 x 4 at first.

I only had one hosed up mold, which I easily fixed with an exacto knife. No missing pieces.

The build also included one of this double male 2x1 plate, which Lego has never made. I have to imagine would be useful though.

It could really use another pass in design. Overall, I'd give the set a D. It would be very disappointing as an official Lego set, but you get what you pay for I suppose. However learning what doesn't work in a set like this was interesting. "Failure the best teacher is"

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

The_Doctor posted:

Friends onlyfans bedroom

Is there a new exclusive color shade or two for the tiger butthole piece to make this more appealing to AFOLs?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

This thing made me feel the reflexive urge to cross myself. It's just wrong.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Anyway, just waiting for Majisto GWP to grab the Viking village so I guess I'll be able to compare those solutions side by side soon, hopefully - we need GWP info for November already :argh:

As if the rumor gods heard your plea Brick Clicker just dropped November GWP info!

40595 A Tribute to Galileo ~Nov 1st until ??? (probably until the next GWP)
and drum roll please
40601 Majisto's Magical Workshop current rumor is that it's going to be available on the 18th and 19th for Lego's VIP Insider Weekend (should also have 2x Insider Points) and probably come back for the 24-27th. 365 pc, comes with Majisto and two knights
A Winter Market Stall holiday GWP should be available at the same time as 40601
There will also be a Christmas VIP parts polybag GWP

The upcoming Natural History Museum modular should be revealed this week... and might release in December? Huh?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

[quote="deoju" post=""535463750"]

The build also included one of this double male 2x1 plate, which Lego has never made. I have to imagine would be useful though.

[/quote]

I had these from some oil tanker kit I got in europe as a kid and i guarded them with my life, lego are fools for not making it

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Bloody Pom posted:

This thing made me feel the reflexive urge to cross myself. It's just wrong.

ijyt posted:

I had these from some oil tanker kit I got in europe as a kid and i guarded them with my life, lego are fools for not making it
When I saw it my response was a mix of both of these sentiments.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know why Lego is so averse to making that part or similar parts. They must think it goes against the spirit of Lego or something. Couldn't tell you why but it's my only guess. It would be insanely useful though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They’re saving it for their next bankruptcy scare

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All their bins are full of new 1x1 detail bricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Oh god I've discovered Bricklink Studio.

How the hell is this free program on par or better than some $1000.00+ cad platforms lol.

Real question. How good is bricklink for sourcing many many copies of a single piece, like lets say 1x13 liftarms?