Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think he was also terrified of black people casting magic on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ArfJason posted:

i also hate being haunted by the spirit of barnacle jim

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
theres only one thing you need to know about hp lovecraft and that is that he was literally afraid of everything

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lovecraft was good at existential horror because he was terrified of everything in existence.

e: dammit

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Except apparently his thesaurus

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

theres only one thing you need to know about hp lovecraft and that is that he was literally afraid of everything

there are two things you need to know about hp lovecraft

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

don't read punpun its very sad

read punpun its very sad

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Hitpoints lovecraft

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
the color out of space was pretty good

but poe is the superior old timey problematic horror author

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 24, 2023

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
lovecraft: the thing he saw was utterly weird and strange that it couldn't be described with words *proceeds to describe the creature quite adequately with words*

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Naming his cat that was pretty wild

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

mycatscrimes posted:

the color out of space was pretty good

thats my favourite lovecraft work. i also like cool air for some reason

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

That DICK! posted:

what did he name it

oh

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

read manga or go to hell

A life lived without reading Yotsuba is hell

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Naming my fictional creature: Shagg’o’lth’th’zarlth, The Slumbering Abyss, He Who Rules The Thirteen Hells

Naming my cat: Chinktard

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Fifty Farts posted:

Somebody, somewhere, at some point, said or wrote something like "HP Lovecraft's worst nightmare: a swarthy man attempting to sell him seafood," and I think of that whenever Lovecraft gets mentioned.

On the one hand, I get it, because yes, we're enthusiastic and talk with our hands and that frightens and confuses people.

On the other...well, anchovies ARE an acquired taste.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he named his cat the n word

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

That DICK! posted:

someone managed to bring that up completely unprompted in a Yume Nikki panel i was at and even for friday morning anime con panel standards it was beyond awkward hearing someone try and explain that Lovecraft mythos is creepy too but oh um errrr you guys know what he named his cat right...yeah...be warned...

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

iirc that was one of the things that got Robert E Howard to tell him to tone it down

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

That DICK! posted:

God, that was some whiplash when the cat was The Rats in the Walls

Like when I tried to read through the Bond novels on a weird whim, got partway through Live and Let Die (the second drat book), hit a chapter entitled "[N-word] Alley" and just stopped right there.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Rags to Liches posted:

iirc that was one of the things that got Robert E Howard to tell him to tone it down

lol when robert e howard is telling you to tone down the racism

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

He checked himself into a mental hospital because he found out he was part Welsh.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

rodbeard posted:

He checked himself into a mental hospital because he found out he was part Welsh.

he was right to do that

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

rodbeard posted:

well i mean,

efb die 16bb

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

playing bloodborne taught me that the nameless horrors that lurk within the dark between stars can be dispatched handily with a saw on the end of a stick and a flintlock pistol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
one of the awful truths the main character discovers in one of his short stories is that they are related to a black person its also one of his most racist stories

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
he was also afraid of penguins

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

rodbeard posted:

The Shadow over Cardiff

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

saw an rear end in a top hat on these forums say this once

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

mycatscrimes posted:

he was also afraid of penguins

how

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
More like mycatshatecrimes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That DICK! posted:

Naming my fictional creature: Shagg’o’lth’th’zarlth, The Slumbering Abyss, He Who Rules The Thirteen Hells

Naming my cat: Chinktard

lol

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Empty Sandwich posted:

The Shadow over Cardiff

that's just an MR James ghost story

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol when robert e howard is telling you to tone down the racism

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

one of the awful truths the main character discovers in one of his short stories is that they are related to a black person its also one of his most racist stories

I like the one where a street turns evil because an Irish person lives there

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

*writing about the aryan barbarian, the supreme fighting man of the earth* You named your cat WHAT?!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Plant MONSTER. posted:

lovecraft: the thing he saw was utterly weird and strange that it couldn't be described with words *proceeds to describe the creature quite adequately with words*

MFer had me looking up the word "rugose" in the big library dictionary after school

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The best part is that at the end of his life he realized what a poo poo he had been, and lamented that his own racism (and also his what we would now call libertarianism) only hurt him and his loved ones, and every suffering he experienced in life was his own doing, just in time to immediately die.

Also he discovered the existence of African myths that were more imaginative and compelling than anything he wrote and keeled over dead before he got a chance to read them. Just totally owned.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

He wasn't even the one who named it, he decided to adopt a slur cat eithout changing the name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Plant MONSTER. posted:

i'm not sure that's fair because they were weird place holder words like when your only descriptor is something is squamous i think that's still pretty unknown other than you have a texture