Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Burns posted:

What are recommendations fro melee weapons in the mountain? Sword and board on very high is just not cutting it as even basic wolves do so much damage.

Wolf spear. Cheap as hell so it's faster to get out of the mountains. I really, really like throwing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Spear all the way. With a back up club for the swamp.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ho ho ho, i do love the sudden power change now that I have wolf armor, bonemass power and an iron sledge. I got the "you are being hunted event" and Luckily i was by a frost cave so i setup by the entrance and just smashed the wolves as they came at me while also having a just in case escape route to heal with the cave. So much delicious wolf.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Burns posted:

Ho ho ho, i do love the sudden power change now that I have wolf armor, bonemass power and an iron sledge. I got the "you are being hunted event" and Luckily i was by a frost cave so i setup by the entrance and just smashed the wolves as they came at me while also having a just in case escape route to heal with the cave. So much delicious wolf.

That's a really fun event to get near a fuling village.

Burns
May 10, 2008

BrianRx posted:

That's a really fun event to get near a fuling village.

Lol yep! Even funner INSIDE the village.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Can't recall if I posted about it a few months ago, but I got one while tending a lox farm. I think 30-40 wolves were stomped flat as I stood still and watched.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Ravenfood posted:

Wolf spear. Cheap as hell so it's faster to get out of the mountains. I really, really like throwing it.

idk, spear in mountains felt kinda rough when I've tried it - the vertical hitbox is kinda terrible. Once you get parry timing down wolves aren't that hard; iron mace & frostner both do fine

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

idiotsavant posted:

idk, spear in mountains felt kinda rough when I've tried it - the vertical hitbox is kinda terrible. Once you get parry timing down wolves aren't that hard; iron mace & frostner both do fine

Throwing it, even at super close range, largely fixed the vertical hitbox issue for me.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Silver knife has been a real workhorse for me in both of my runs. Just murders after a parry and swings fast enough that one miss isn't a huge deal. Iron sledge for groups.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yagluth is pretty aggressively not fun on hard mode

Yeah, no, gently caress this

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 22, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I could not beat Yagluth by myself no matter the mode. If you have other people it basically forces the attacks to split which gives desperately needed time to deal damage and heal.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
When I’m feeling less frustrated, I’ll come back with frost arrows. Part of what’s so extremely Not Fun about Yagluth is that the only way to deal significant damage is just to absorb his attacks while you do a couple three-hit combos, and in hard mode, that does so much damage that you’re waiting for like well over a minute before you can go another round. So I’m hoping that being able to do more than negligible damage with the frost arrows while I’m regenerating will stop me from getting bored and reckless.

In previous runs, I’ve also been able to make progress despite a few deaths, but it looks like he also regens a lot faster in hard mode.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

rjmccall posted:

When I’m feeling less frustrated, I’ll come back with frost arrows. Part of what’s so extremely Not Fun about Yagluth is that the only way to deal significant damage is just to absorb his attacks while you do a couple three-hit combos, and in hard mode, that does so much damage that you’re waiting for like well over a minute before you can go another round. So I’m hoping that being able to do more than negligible damage with the frost arrows while I’m regenerating will stop me from getting bored and reckless.

In previous runs, I’ve also been able to make progress despite a few deaths, but it looks like he also regens a lot faster in hard mode.

In my most recent game, Yagluth's altar spawned near a beach so I dug under it, stuck a campfire down there, and had a hidey hole where I could stop burning and regenerate health quickly.

It still sucked though. As mentioned, I think it's much more manageable when his/its attention is split between multiple players.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

BrianRx posted:

In my most recent game, Yagluth's altar spawned near a beach so I dug under it, stuck a campfire down there, and had a hidey hole where I could stop burning and regenerate health quickly.

It still sucked though. As mentioned, I think it's much more manageable when his/its attention is split between multiple players.

I did a similar thing but on the plains. Dug a pit, put down a layer of rock foundations on top for a ceiling, then a narrow, sloped entrance. I was worried about some of his attacks busting up the foundations but don't remember it happening. Also think I did some landscaping to build up pillars of ground that I could duck behind to avoid his laser beam attack. First attempt I tried to use the Stonehenge stuff around the spawn altar to duck behind and that was how I learned his attacks will burn through that then, when the entire base is gone, the game hiccups while trying to process a million different rock pieces all popping at the same time because they lost contact to the ground. Pretty sure I never even tried to melee the rear end in a top hat, just went full archer on it because dodging his stuff sucked hard enough even at range, then he starts slapping the ground if you're nearby and it just got to be too much for my simple video gamer brain to process all at the same time.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Would a horde of preplaced loxen make a difference?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Probably. Wolves do okay too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otKf8KMnUtA

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Burns posted:

Would a horde of preplaced loxen make a difference?
I actually tried this with lox and they did gently caress all. You can see even with the wolves one you need a metric fuckton to delete him quick or they all just burn up at once with his fire damage. Ended up a total waste of effort for me but I only had like 6 lox.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Lox will do a lot of damage in a short time, but the fire will kill them much faster. I think on that run we got the ball rolling and suddenly the lox started to pop one at a time in short order against our favor.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

I think I'll do this next time I want to skip a boss by console-killing them. It seems fun but also profitable.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
I had luck with the lox but i had a lot of little groups spread out all over the nearby plains, so groups would agro on him regularly as the fight migrated. Provided frequent breathers.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Took down Moder this morning. Took like 120 needle arrows, 100 silver arrows and around 60 poison arrows. Great success. Died twice to the ice shard attack but using a ruin and kiting her around it worked well. Theres maybe half of the ruin left standing.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I love how apocalyptic the boss fights sound. “Cracked open a mountain and shattered some castle ruins, but the beast is down!” :laffo:

The boss music in this game is absolutely perfect. Eikthyr’s and Yagluth’s themes in particular would make some dangerously good workout music.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

I love how apocalyptic the boss fights sound. “Cracked open a mountain and shattered some castle ruins, but the beast is down!” :laffo:

Moder also perched on my camp and brought down half the roof and a good chunk of the outer wall. It was hell getting my rested bonus to reactivate. Luckily she didnt destroy my bed.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
there was a dev blog published recently, it showed some interior of Ashlands biome, mysterious device and also new weapons

weapons:

dual wielding axes :eyepop:

Burns
May 10, 2008

Im more interested to see if the engine updates (patch notes) improves things overall. Im not a fan of overly dark biomes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the screenshots from this update look okay, but some of the older one are way too dark for my taste.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Burns posted:

Im more interested to see if the engine updates (patch notes) improves things overall. Im not a fan of overly dark biomes.

there are some interesting updates related to optimization in the latest patch (currently on public test)

quote:

Fixes & Improvements:

* Jack-o-turnip enabled. Spooky season!
* New seasonal item: Pointy hat
* Added a new “Render scale” graphics setting that enables the main camera to be rendered at a lower resolution than the viewport and UI
* Improved automatic input switching so that connected gamepads with stick drift no longer take over control when playing with keyboard and mouse
* Optimized code that determines which objects in the world to instantiate, lowering the baseline CPU time by up to 5%
* Optimized structural integrity calculations, massively decreasing CPU time in areas with large builds
* Optimized enemy AI
* Optimized underwater logic
* Re-enabled objects to have more than 255 KVPs of arbitrary data of the same value type (important for some mods)
* Fixed a bug that could cause traps to trigger multiple times in multiplayer depending on how many players were near it
* Engine upgraded to Unity 2022
* Upgraded Steamworks.NET and PlayFab Party libraries to newer versions
* Engine-side optimizations for dedicated servers
* Tweaked boss spawning to prevent them from occasionally getting stuck when spawning
* Fixed a bug that caused clicking sounds when selecting building pieces via controller

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 30, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I took like a month away from Valheim, partly for a work trip and partly just to reset from my Hard Yag frustrations. Came back, farmed up a bunch of frost glands, and readied myself for a fight.

Headline: the bastard’s dead. Still murderous, but more manageably so. As hoped, having frost arrows helped a lot: I hit him with over 200 arrows, and while I don’t think it actually added up to all that much of his health bar, it did keep me busy enough while waiting to regenerate that it didn’t feel unfun. And maybe it was enough to overcome his passive regen or something.

Strategy was basically:
  • Immediately start running during meteors.
  • Otherwise, if health is max-ish, get max stamina while hiding from the fire blast, the sprint up and do as many three-hit combos as possible before it’s time to run from meteor again.
  • Otherwise, hit him with a frost arrow whenever possible.

I still died a few times. Once, it was because night fell and a two-star goblin raiding party came by. Once, I got too greedy about doing combos and got tagged by a meteor (this almost happened at least two other times). Once, I didn’t realize my fire resistance mead ran out. I think that was it; not too shabby. And I did kill off an unstarred raiding party once.

I tried digging under his altar to make a resting place, but it was too close to the water, and the water table made it impossible to both be sheltered and keep a fire. So I just rested up at home, mostly by dying but also once by just running away after my food ran low. I think I had him around 50%, and fortunately he didn’t regen much while I was away.

It was a long, long goddamn fight.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Mistlands honestly doesn’t feel any different on hard, probably because it was already tuned to be high enough damage that you just have to eat right and fight properly every time. I did just now finally build Mistwalker, so we’ll see if that gives a little more room for error.

With that said, I’ve been playing it differently anyway, building a lot of stone causeways out of my bases (which are all reclaimed dwergr houses) to make it more hospitable. I like how it looks, and it definitely makes me feel much more like I’m mastering the biome instead of just visiting. Also, just making them is a nice environmental puzzle. And of course there’s a massive amount of stone everywhere you go, so there isn’t too much downtime.

I have gotten pretty screwed on mines, though. I built a really elaborate causeway over to this one basement mine, and it rewarded me with one (1) core and no fragments. Currently just tearing down my forge anytime I need to refine eitr because I only have 8 cores.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

BrianRx posted:

I'm going to post this every hundred pages or so, but killing yourself by dropping a tree on your own head never gets less funny. Doesn't matter if it's Day One or Day One Hundred because you didn't bother to eat before going out chopping.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Also, working on a large building project and dying from a 2 meter drop because you forgot to eat.

It’s gotten to the point where I build authentic scaffolding just to keep the skill drain under control

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I would usually have some "working around the house" food going from a nearby massive farm to avoid those skill drains or to not get instantly merked by a invasion.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Also, working on a large building project and dying from a 2 meter drop because you forgot to eat.

It’s gotten to the point where I build authentic scaffolding just to keep the skill drain under control
Easily the biggest reason the raven cloak is the best item. It's nice for moving around the Mistlands but critical for saving me from construction deaths.

E: prior to that I use the farmable sustainable meals like carrot soup.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the feather cape is just comically useful.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Ran into a weird situation: dropped some Eitr to destroy a dvergr ward so I could take over their outpost and one of the rogues upstairs turned hostile, but the mage downstairs did not.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well, I did it, I sailed off the edge of the world.

I think I was done with this playthrough anyway.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I hope there's a new source for brain matter in the next biome because those skulls don't seem to turn up very often for me.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it varies a lot. This world, I think I had two, maybe even three skulls that I didn’t even bother tapping, just because I wasn’t building magic gear and I’d had to explore a fuckton of Mistlands in my failed effort to get to 10 cores and find a Vegisir for the Queen. Mistlands is a weird biome that way.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

I hope there's a new source for brain matter in the next biome because those skulls don't seem to turn up very often for me.

Same. All the ones I find are also Dvergr-protected, which both makes me feel bad and makes it a lot harder if I do want them. So far I've been ok skipping them but if this keeps up I'll need to come back and hope a gjall shows up or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
I've been doing dvergr murder free runs just by going over and partying with my little friends at night, peacefully, and then sympathizing while dodging as they are attacked by others. Eventually the sites end up empty :iiam:

Edit: i brought the last one some bread as the new neighbor in the area so please don't think I am rude