Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Dredmor's class/skill system was definitely a highlight, although it really sucked when you had to take a dud level to get to the good stuff. The balance did get better post release and the objectively bad levels mostly got fixed, but you would still wind up having to take levels that subjectively did nothing useful for your particular build and it was really painful since it took a while between skill points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It's a really neat system and I'm surprised I haven't seen much like it.

On that note I'm thinking about giving StarCrawlers Chimera a try. Probably when it's out of early access.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I’m really bad at coming up with Achra builds; healing just seems so limited

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I love Achra but I keep rushing into mobs that counter my build instead of stopping to think even a little bit

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Arzaac posted:

It's a really neat system and I'm surprised I haven't seen much like it.

On that note I'm thinking about giving StarCrawlers Chimera a try. Probably when it's out of early access.

i really liked the first starcrawlers but the demo i played of chimera was a pretty strict downgrade. i'd recommend the orginal if you've not played it yet.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Foul Fowl posted:

i really liked the first starcrawlers but the demo i played of chimera was a pretty strict downgrade. i'd recommend the orginal if you've not played it yet.

Another vote for the original, it was surprisingly fun and had lots of nice detailed touches re: the numerous factions and events that could occur on missions.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Super sad with the direction they took with the successor, but it's just not for me

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

juggalo baby coffin posted:

path of achra is a really refined dredmor in some ways, i think it scratches a similar itch for me of assembling an insane rube goldberg build

I hadn't thought of it due to the obvious similarities with Rift Wizard, but you're not wrong.

Captain Foo posted:

I’m really bad at coming up with Achra builds; healing just seems so limited

You can fully heal with the vigor option during level up, and the WILL stats amplifies healing (+10% per point)

Loddfafnir fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 23, 2023

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
quote != edit

Loddfafnir fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 23, 2023

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Future Video GamesUK posted:

The Gaslamp people were posting here, right? Not this thread I'm sure but on the forums. Maybe one of them will pop in and give us the inside gossip.

What Gaslamp people? Nobody here but us Muscle Diggles.

I will say: we are running mostly under radio silence right now until THE PROCESS is complete, but I am involved in this. (It took a great deal of work to even get to this point; the situation with CE is infinitely more complicated because of the presence of government funding and government entities, and my hands are very tied there right now.) Dredmor is twelve and a half years old now, and I'm definitely both aware of the things people like about it, and the things people don't, many of which have been mentioned in this thread; I'm also aware that it, like me, is showing its age, and many things, ranging from the jokes to the horrific craft spew to the final fight with Lord Dredmor have not aged well. But things are being done with love, and care, and reverence, and I think people will be happy.

A little goons-only teaser before I go back to radio silence...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
More Dredmor is a dopamine hit I wasn't expecting today. Heck yeah!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Maybe I'll be playing some Dredmor in the near future after all...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I put a lot of time into dredmor in years past and have fond memories of the game’s distinct personality and figuring out what the various unconventional skills like Fungal Arts actually did

I can echo the complaint that lord dredmor slingshotted too far from being a chump to being almost unkillable against many strategies, and I felt like the extra 5 floors added by realm of the diggle gods were better left disabled for a number of reasons, but overall I had a lot of fun with it and felt like it had just the right level of complexity for me.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Very cool. I for one still had fun with Dredmor when I did a replay of it this year, and the UI/UX was the main thing that was showing long in the tooth for me. Looking forward to whatever update you guys do on that front and the other upcoming stuff.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Loddfafnir posted:

I hadn't thought of it due to the obvious similarities with Rift Wizard, but you're not wrong.

You can fully heal with the vigor option during level up, and the WILL stats amplifies healing (+10% per point)

this is true

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
As much as my inventory hoarding bad habits personally prevented me from falling/staying in love with Dredmor, there was a lot to love there and I’m happy to see signs of life there whether Dredmor or another title. I never regretted my purchase or play time, just my time sorting out a pile of junk I’ll never use, just like lair:2 in old versions of DCSS and every single non-stacking wand, scrolls of uselessness etc

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Achra: okay it's been a bit since I last played

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dredmor is what let me learn that I can actually enjoy roguelikes, a genre which had always attracted me but moreso intimidated me, and for that I’m very grateful! (I never finished it, but not really because of any flaw in the game itself.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dredmor had some serious issues, but I love how it approached character building. Being presented with a big selection of skill trees and getting to choose anything you want, and knowing that as long as you chose some offense, you'd be able to make it a decent ways into the game at least, was pretty cool.
Yeah, that's probably the thing I liked most about Dredmor and I'm surprised it hasn't been shamelessly copied by other games. The closest I've seen is ToME4's "adventurer mode" which isn't really that close.

SKULL.GIF posted:

My major issue with Dredmor is that it took way too long to do anything. If I saw a threat room stuffed full of monsters I knew I'd be spending the next 20 minutes clearing it out because of all the animations.
There was a fast-forward setting! It's off by default but it helps a lot.

LordSloth posted:

As much as my inventory hoarding bad habits personally prevented me from falling/staying in love with Dredmor, there was a lot to love there and I’m happy to see signs of life there whether Dredmor or another title. I never regretted my purchase or play time, just my time sorting out a pile of junk I’ll never use, just like lair:2 in old versions of DCSS and every single non-stacking wand, scrolls of uselessness etc
Yeah, inventory management is probably the part of the UI that's aged worst. Conquest of the Wizardlands gave you effectively unlimited inventory but accessing it was kind of a pain.

For a while I was working on a terminal-based "demake" of dredmor that would have loaded the original DoD game files but let you play it in the tty old-school, and "infinite inventory space" is on the design doc as one of the places where it would diverge from Actual Dredmor. For some reason, development completely stalled out in early 2020.

nvining posted:

I will say: we are running mostly under radio silence right now until THE PROCESS is complete, but I am involved in this. (It took a great deal of work to even get to this point; the situation with CE is infinitely more complicated because of the presence of government funding and government entities, and my hands are very tied there right now.) Dredmor is twelve and a half years old now, and I'm definitely both aware of the things people like about it, and the things people don't, many of which have been mentioned in this thread; I'm also aware that it, like me, is showing its age, and many things, ranging from the jokes to the horrific craft spew to the final fight with Lord Dredmor have not aged well. But things are being done with love, and care, and reverence, and I think people will be happy.

Excited to see what's in the pipeline! I haven't played Dredmor in ages but I still have a lot of affection for it, and my daughter thinks it's pretty neat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

nvining posted:

Hell yeah, good for you guys.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Dredmor was my introduction to the genre and it seemed like a good first roguelike, crafting system aside.

Stoked to see more Dredmor in the future. Now we get to guess. Remake, expansion, or completely new?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Those look to be new items in the screenshot so I suspect it's another expansion. Hopefully it includes QoL improvements and not just strictly more stuff.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
So glad to hear some news on the dreadmore front. I've been playing it again on my steamdeck and it still really holds up, even if it obviously was a pc game and the controls are a little awkward on the deck. I hope to some day soon be able to give more cash to the gaslamp folks.

I picked up Going Under since it's currently on sale on the playstation for 5 bucks. It's a fun action rogue-like, that has a very botw style combat where you improvise weapons with limited durability that wind up breaking constantly.

It's got a very left leaning sense of humor, and cellshaded art in a memphis corporate style which works really well since it's about being an intern at a tech startup.
I also appreciate that they copied the Hades style of accessibility, with some toggles for difficulty in case someone wants to see the story.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Very pleased to see Gaslamp's not completely dead and I would love more Dredmore dungeons.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dungeons of Dredmor is one of the few roguelikes I liked, so I'm happy with the news.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Coolness Averted posted:

So glad to hear some news on the dreadmore front. I've been playing it again on my steamdeck and it still really holds up, even if it obviously was a pc game and the controls are a little awkward on the deck. I hope to some day soon be able to give more cash to the gaslamp folks.

I picked up Going Under since it's currently on sale on the playstation for 5 bucks. It's a fun action rogue-like, that has a very botw style combat where you improvise weapons with limited durability that wind up breaking constantly.

It's got a very left leaning sense of humor, and cellshaded art in a memphis corporate style which works really well since it's about being an intern at a tech startup.
I also appreciate that they copied the Hades style of accessibility, with some toggles for difficulty in case someone wants to see the story.

So you are telling me it's funny and looks great

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Upsidads posted:

So you are telling me it's funny and looks great

It's cute, and yeah I like the sense of humor. Mechanically it seems to unlock a decent amount of extra systems and features as you do runs. I suck and haven't beaten the first boss yet.
Here's what it looks like and a look at the humor.

E: in my current playthrough I have a curse called 'the curse of the graduate' that gives me a mortarboard cap and a ball and chain with the word 'debt' on it that slows me down.
I can pick up the ball and chain and swing it as a weapon.
I also have a skill that makes any thrown weapon home in on enemies. Like I said, goofy fun that wears its (good) politics on its sleeve.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 24, 2023

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

nvining posted:

I am Very Excited

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Coolness Averted posted:

It's cute, and yeah I like the sense of humor. Mechanically it seems to unlock a decent amount of extra systems and features as you do runs. I suck and haven't beaten the first boss yet.
Here's what it looks like and a look at the humor.

E: in my current playthrough I have a curse called 'the curse of the graduate' that gives me a mortarboard cap and a ball and chain with the word 'debt' on it that slows me down.
I can pick up the ball and chain and swing it as a weapon.
I also have a skill that makes any thrown weapon home in on enemies. Like I said, goofy fun that wears its (good) politics on its sleeve.

Yeah Going Under is loving great. I cannot recommend it enough.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I hope it does well. I didn't get super into Dredmor, but I liked how it had far more colorful classes, which is how I feel every game should approach class systems. But also the various was the game angrily told me that my inventory was full will stick with me forever, regardless of what inventory based game I pick up

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
just remembered the existence of the lutefisk cube

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

nvining posted:

Well, I'm intrigued. Even if it's just a "stuff" pack I'd probably buy it for old time's sake, if it actually fixes some of the old flaws then I might be on board the hype train.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

the holy poopacy posted:

Well, I'm intrigued. Even if it's just a "stuff" pack I'd probably buy it for old time's sake, if it actually fixes some of the old flaws then I might be on board the hype train.

QoL improvements don't show as well in screenshots as new stuff. But yes, they're coming, and I think we've all had a lot of time to think about them. Plus.. it's good sometimes to go back to your old work with fresh eyes and go "Ugh, what WAS I thinking. Also, why is everything so small?" (The reason everything is so small is that Dredmor started its development life on a CRT monitor. In 2005.)

I also think we figured out that damned save game corruption bug after however many years. I am hoping to put out a maintenance fix for that and a couple of other things, most notably modern OS X support, before THE PROCESS is complete, but this is somewhat complicated by the fact that we're still doing things like re-establishing build infrastructure. Fingers crossed.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I just loaded up Dredmor this morning and the first thing I noticed was how the ui was much smaller than I remember it being. Then I died on the first floor after opening an evil chest. Oops. Anyway looking forward to any upcoming updates.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nvining posted:

i'm gonna ignore the entire rest of the post and decide that this is some sort of joke overhaul patch

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Dredmor was my gateway to the genre and I loved the poo poo out of it, flaws and all. Stoked!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I'd be down to play more Dredmor with quality of life improvements. I quit after I died to the last boss but I was pretty done with it anyway because it was a little bit too painful to play after I'd won it and played a few different combos to the late game.

I definitely do hope you guys nerf the boss a bit. Part of what made me feel like I was done was that while there was more variety in the character build system that I hadn't explored, there was a much reduced amount that could take on the last boss. This was emphasized by my coming to the the game after the boss had been buffed and reading so many posts on reddit, here, and gamefaqs that were talking about cool builds that no longer worked.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 24, 2023

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Hell of a good thing to see both Triangle Wizard and Dredmor liven back up after more than a decade apiece in the current era given the vast majority of projects with at all comparable vintage are in the Functionally Impossible(Improbable) Club that up to now Dredmor was also presumed to dwell in given all that now aged/cursed duct tape---the actual, likely kind of heartening resurrection that folks idly dream for compared to the Doomed one that struck Biskup rolling 1's while fronting 20's on Ultimate ADOM.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can't say I was personally that big on Dredmor myself, but I've got a friend who's probably gonna be ecstatic over these news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
My other ask for Dredmor is more skill hotbar slots. If you play any kind of wizard build or have a skill with a lot actives, it's super likely you'll fill your slots after a few level ups. It gets tedious having to reassign your slot every time you want to cast a separate spell or ability.

I am getting a hankering to replay Dredmor again despite my griping so I'll probably pick up the expansion or whatever when it drops.