Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

LLSix posted:

Sure, why not. That makes perfect sense.

SupSup Patreon revision that will be public soon:I think it's just a half chapter... and very different half chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wittgen posted:

Super Supportive is restructuring some chapter breaks for public release vs. Patreon. I bet it will be for the better story wise, but be careful if you're going back through the thread and looking at spoilers marked for chapters 81 on. Not clear exactly what the changes will be, but what should have been chapter 96 was chapter 98 today.

As for SupSup 98, I really liked it. Lute has really blossomed into a lovable character. I like that being in this dorm room in general and being around Alden specifically is already clearly having a highly positive impact on him. It says sad things about what the Velras household is like, but it also says nice things about friendship and about who Alden is as a person.

The "reveal" that Hazel actually was being at least somewhat malicious when she called in Alden's word chain was interesting. Also lol'd at Hazel trying to make it look like she fainted. The fact that she apparently used to bully Lute makes me think a lot worse of her character.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ytlaya posted:

The "reveal" that Hazel actually was being at least somewhat malicious when she called in Alden's word chain was interesting. Also lol'd at Hazel trying to make it look like she fainted. The fact that she apparently used to bully Lute makes me think a lot worse of her character.

Yeah, Hazel kicking over metaphorical sand castles for people like Alden because Grandmama isn't giving her as much attention now just makes her sound like a bit of a sociopath. She was also in the middle of recording a video for her social media too when she called in Alden's chain, so it does feel like she's got a pathological addiction to attention. Add in her bullying and such, and it does not paint a good picture of her at all. SupSup 98

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
(SupSup Patreon, revised 83 and 84) Good of Sleyca to give us a firmer timeline on Boe's affixation: he already had it at the start of middle school. Explains him never telling Alden, if he had it the whole time. With the affixation age ranges presented so far, I was imagining it happening more at age 13-14 than 11. That aside, it's a cute flashback, especially the end; the whole zoo segment is great.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
After recent chat that brought up the Legend of Randidly Ghosthound, I randomly went back and started reading it again and got totally hooked, read up to chapter 1700. Unfortunately, I just now have hit the event that led me to drop the story a few years ago and I remember how frustrated I was then and am again now.

After like literally 1500 chapters of her being Randidly’s right hand, the author decides to kill Helen off screen as a motivator for the protagonist. He decides to fridge maybe my favorite character in the novel, to effectively change nothing - the character was already fully motivated to sacrifice his own self to tear down the system, and now…. He has the same conviction but is sad. Genuinely doesn’t make sense and I’m so frustrated right now, I had totally forgotten how this played out.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Silynt posted:

After recent chat that brought up the Legend of Randidly Ghosthound, I randomly went back and started reading it again and got totally hooked, read up to chapter 1700. Unfortunately, I just now have hit the event that led me to drop the story a few years ago and I remember how frustrated I was then and am again now.

After like literally 1500 chapters of her being Randidly’s right hand, the author decides to kill Helen off screen as a motivator for the protagonist. He decides to fridge maybe my favorite character in the novel, to effectively change nothing - the character was already fully motivated to sacrifice his own self to tear down the system, and now…. He has the same conviction but is sad. Genuinely doesn’t make sense and I’m so frustrated right now, I had totally forgotten how this played out.

people... like randidly? isnt it just, like, misogynistic trash

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I doubt people do too broadly, I guess I have lovely taste. Like I said, I was inspired to try reading it again by a brief conversation in this thread a few weeks ago.

Prior to this blatant fridging I wouldn’t call it too misogynist, although it is clearly written by a straight man with the flaws that can entail.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 19, 2023

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Silynt posted:

although it is clearly written by a straight man with the flaws that can entail.

wtf

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
what's not to get? breasting boobily seems borderline universal

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I read 500 chapters or so of it I think, before giving up. At least I obviously stopped before the current RR cutoff.

It's interesting to read as a sort of... Foundational text. Once you've read a certain amount of it, you can see the traces of it all over other stuff on RR, but I wouldn't bother reading it on it's own merit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, Hazel kicking over metaphorical sand castles for people like Alden because Grandmama isn't giving her as much attention now just makes her sound like a bit of a sociopath. She was also in the middle of recording a video for her social media too when she called in Alden's chain, so it does feel like she's got a pathological addiction to attention. Add in her bullying and such, and it does not paint a good picture of her at all. SupSup 98

The one "complication" there is the stuff Lute alluded to with her having a "really bad" upbringing. So I don't think it's just "normal" rich-person self-centered. It might be something more done out of desperation, with her viewing Aulia as some savior figure. Her not getting an S after expecting it all her life then made her even more insecure.

Sorta like an exaggerated version of what Lexi experienced, but in some ways worse because Hazel probably views her Avowed status as the only way out of whatever was going on in her life before she was selected.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
SS 98 Sociopath seems like a reach. Hazel's a 16 year old who was a golden child, and then has had things go badly for her for about a year and change. And though she got Chainer by the skin of her teeth, she's not nearly such a golden child anymore and a bunch of the family is pissed at her. She's under stress and coping badly, and is pretty self centered. But she's also 16, which is an age when lots of people are self-centered jerks. Hopefully she'll grow out of it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Patrick Spens posted:

SS 98 Sociopath seems like a reach. Hazel's a 16 year old who was a golden child, and then has had things go badly for her for about a year and change. And though she got Chainer by the skin of her teeth, she's not nearly such a golden child anymore and a bunch of the family is pissed at her. She's under stress and coping badly, and is pretty self centered. But she's also 16, which is an age when lots of people are self-centered jerks. Hopefully she'll grow out of it.

Agreed, though I also think it's more than just the "golden child" part. I'm very curious about what Lute was alluding to. In my previous post I wrongly assumed she was adopted into the family and experienced something bad before that, but just realized that's obviously not the case since she hadn't even affixed previously. So she's a "natural"/non-adopted member of the Velra family, but still had something bad happen to her before all the stuff involved in her affixation.

Also, I imagine part of her anger towards Alden, in addition to the "not sticking around for her affixation," is that he's got to be taking non-trivial amounts of Aulia's focus after his miraculous survival.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Ytlaya posted:

Agreed, though I also think it's more than just the "golden child" part. I'm very curious about what Lute was alluding to. In my previous post I wrongly assumed she was adopted into the family and experienced something bad before that, but just realized that's obviously not the case since she hadn't even affixed previously. So she's a "natural"/non-adopted member of the Velra family, but still had something bad happen to her before all the stuff involved in her affixation.

Also, I imagine part of her anger towards Alden, in addition to the "not sticking around for her affixation," is that he's got to be taking non-trivial amounts of Aulia's focus after his miraculous survival.

It's not nice, but I would really like to see Hazel finds out that Alden legitimately passed out upon affixation. For a long time even. It would absolutely wreck her.

I do feel pity for Hazel, but I love it when the incidental facts about a character absolutely shatter another character's bad worldview.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Nettle Soup posted:

I read 500 chapters or so of it I think, before giving up. At least I obviously stopped before the current RR cutoff.

It's interesting to read as a sort of... Foundational text. Once you've read a certain amount of it, you can see the traces of it all over other stuff on RR, but I wouldn't bother reading it on it's own merit.

This is the reason I still recommend it when people ask about the genre. It’s not so bad it’s insufferable, and the author hasn’t to my knowledge done anything egregious, so if you need an example of the early evolution of the web serial/litrpg/system-as-apocalypse, here you go.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

APGtE vol 5

The gag about how General Abigail keeps trying to be intentionally mildly incompetent in order to get demoted to less dangerous assignments only to accidentally pull off some major upset that turns the tide of a battle remains great. Other POV's seeing her watery eyed, asking about retirement benefits, or emphatically saying she did nothing impressive and taking it as heartfelt devotion to Cat or sly attempts at disarming people, so she can take advantage of them is just :discourse:

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 20, 2023

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

APGtE vol 5

The gag about how General Abigail keeps trying to be intentionally mildly incompetent in order to get demoted to less dangerous assignments only to accidentally pull off some major upset that turns the tide of a battle remains great. Other POV's seeing her watery eyed, asking about retirement benefits, or emphatically saying she did nothing impressive and taking it as heartfelt devotion to Cat or sly attempts at disarming people, so she can take advantage of them is just :discourse:

And the fact that Cat like sees RIGHT THROUGH HER and is like “lol awesome have a promotion anyway dipshit”

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

navyjack posted:

And the fact that Cat like sees RIGHT THROUGH HER and is like “lol awesome have a promotion anyway dipshit”

All of the little bits like this are what make PGTE a great story imo

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i really wish PGTE wass more focused on having multiple POVs instead of always being cat's except for interludes. cat's fine but her quirks get really really really tiresome over millions of words

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

This is the fun thing about EE's current work, Pale Lights. We start with 2 very different PoVs with their own quirks, then in the second book expands to 4 PoVs fairly evenly. Less interludes but keeps the story focused, especially in the first book.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I am begging web serial fantasy authors to stop putting thinly veiled Skaven knockoffs in their stories.

There is a whole wide literary tradition of rats. Rats of all types. Please stop subjecting me to the doubled speech pattern.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

nrook posted:

I am begging web serial fantasy authors to stop putting thinly veiled Skaven knockoffs in their stories.

There is a whole wide literary tradition of rats. Rats of all types. Please stop subjecting me to the doubled speech pattern.

Yes yes, whatever poster-reader nrook nrook says-commands!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Big foreshadowing from Sleyca in the comments of RR Chapter 84 SupSup.

quote:

...All of this has been in the story from the beginning.

So if Alden makes out with a sentient fern in Chapter 800...

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Selkie Myth posted:

Yes yes, whatever poster-reader nrook nrook says-commands!

No. No!!

In other news I caught up with The Villainess Is An SS+ Rank Adventurer again recently. It's pretty much what it always was, a light goofy adventure story with an extremely powerful but delusional main character. I enjoy it but if you read the first five chapters you pretty much know what it is.

I also read the latest book in When Immortal Ascension Fails Time Travel to Try Again, a xianxia series where the main character went back in time. I actually think this one gets much better as it continues, so it's worth pushing through even if you find Lin (the protagonist)'s narration grating. At the beginning she's grumpy and judgmental in a way that feels a bit unsympathetic, and most of the side characters are bad people, but once the series introduces more sympathetic characters there's more for her to bounce off of.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

does anyone have the name of this one Horror webserial on RoyalRoad that had a "soundtrack" for every chapter?

the story was set in some kind of convent that was being harried by monsters every night, and there was a song/album linked at the beginning of every update. the author had very good taste and an ear for ambience. I also remember some pixel art of the cast every once in a while

edit: Palus Somni! Highly recommend even just checking the soundtrack, this story is a gateway to an absurd amount of different artists

Ramie fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 24, 2023

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just read the latest public chapter of TWI and oh drat that is quite a lot of lore dropping in there; Nanette’s story is giving me some Antimemetics Division vibes, so I’m also interested in seeing where that goes although I assume that’s not gonna be picked up til after the solstice. Also, given that it’s already November and pirate’s due for their next break, I’m guessing they’re trying to time the Winter Solstice chapters to drop near the actual Winter Solstice.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

nrook posted:

I also read the latest book in When Immortal Ascension Fails Time Travel to Try Again, a xianxia series where the main character went back in time. I actually think this one gets much better as it continues, so it's worth pushing through even if you find Lin (the protagonist)'s narration grating. At the beginning she's grumpy and judgmental in a way that feels a bit unsympathetic, and most of the side characters are bad people, but once the series introduces more sympathetic characters there's more for her to bounce off of.

It's good dumb fun. Lin is a weird little gremlin, and watching her hiss and claw every time xianxia bullshit pops up is good times.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
The alchemy contest is one of the best such scene's I've ever read.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
SupSup 100: I'm really loving this arc. I think all the stuff with super powered teens enjoying themselves is a lot of fun. Then you have simmering teen drama of both the serious kind (Maricel) and the petty kind (Mehdi's insecurity and all the romance stuff flying over Alden's head). Then you have the undercurrent of Alden slowly working through some of his trauma. Something about that is popping up just about every chapter. Here it was how he had an understanding of the existential danger they're all in that everyone in his life seems to be ignoring.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
SupSup 100: Someone on Patreon called Astrid "racoon hero"... and suddenly I am picturing her basically as Irene from Troubleshooter.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Okay, this is the point where I'm starting to agree that the current SupSup arc is getting a bit long in the tooth. (SupSup 100) It just didn't really do anything for the plot over all, and I'm including establishing/deepening character relationships and the arc of Alden's superheroic development the general emotional vibe in that. Everything that happened here has been covered before, so if you cut it and summarized it with one paragraph, I feel pretty confident that the story would feel the same on both sides.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Chapter 85 SuperSupportive, RR.
When Hazel wasted Alden's Peace of Mind chain, she didn't just waste the good half. It also meant Alden would have to suffer through the bad half an extra time. This chapter shows just how bad the bad half can be for Alden now.

In the discussion of if Hazel is a bad person or not, I feel like this chapter is a pretty strong argument for her being a monster.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Einander posted:

Okay, this is the point where I'm starting to agree that the current SupSup arc is getting a bit long in the tooth. (SupSup 100) It just didn't really do anything for the plot over all, and I'm including establishing/deepening character relationships and the arc of Alden's superheroic development the general emotional vibe in that. Everything that happened here has been covered before, so if you cut it and summarized it with one paragraph, I feel pretty confident that the story would feel the same on both sides.
I think it depends on how it moves from here. I think it's fine if all of the recent stuff is basically establishing "This is what Alden's day-to-day school life is like. Now timeskip a month or two and the story will resume. Extrapolate his friendships and capabilities accordingly." sort of like how intake worked. If it moves into another drama plot (e.g. demon island or Maricel doing a runner) at the same pace and granularity, it doesn't work as well.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

LLSix posted:

As best I remember, we really only know that Alden immediately blames Hazel because she's there when it happened. But it's quite possible she was just ordered to go there by her family and someone monitoring her did it (with or without intent), or it could be another consequence of the luck wordchain backlash making her get blamed for it. Having Hazel fill the high school supervillain trope but they never actually do anything bad and Alden just blames them because of their family seems like the sort of thing the author would enjoy.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Einander posted:

While I don't fully disagree, I enjoyed the whole chapter. showing that Alden still has limits matters. I enjoy the content still the slower pace doesn't bother me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

When Hazel wasted Alden's Peace of Mind chain, she didn't just waste the good half. It also meant Alden would have to suffer through the bad half an extra time. This chapter shows just how bad the bad half can be for Alden now.

In the discussion of if Hazel is a bad person or not, I feel like this chapter is a pretty strong argument for her being a monster.

I don't think this is the case (about having to suffer the bad half an extra time). It's still a very lovely thing to do just because it's removing the opportunity for Alden to use the good half whenever he wants, but you can do word-chains "backwards" (where you do the "sacrifice" part first so you can do the good part later without needing to worry about the sacrifice again - it's what he while running on Thegund, and Hazel was prematurely calling in the good half of that).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

APGtS 178 (free chapter on the author's website)

Oh man, this poor crown guard with his 22 year old dog he thinks the Raven Queen can keep going is really sweet and sad. He tossed his entire life under the bus for this good boy. I really doubt that Siobhan can pull out a health potion regime better than something the High Crown family is using. This is honestly probably the saddest thing in the entire story so far.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SupSup 85 on RR

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think this is the case (about having to suffer the bad half an extra time). It's still a very lovely thing to do just because it's removing the opportunity for Alden to use the good half whenever he wants, but you can do word-chains "backwards" (where you do the "sacrifice" part first so you can do the good part later without needing to worry about the sacrifice again - it's what he while running on Thegund, and Hazel was prematurely calling in the good half of that).

I agree that in this instance Alden had a "spare" peace of mind available, however; you always have to balance your chains eventually. Forcing someone to experience either half ensures they also experience the other half at some point.

Also, both relevant chapters, 85, and the one where Hazel wastes Alden's calming Peace of Mind, were tweaked in the RR version to make it clearer that Alden's suffering in 85 is a result of Hazel wasting his peace of mind. To me, the tweaks in RR seemed like a fairly clear authorial reaction to Patreon readers theorycrafting other reasons for Hazel's presence and/or behavior.

A big part of 85 is detailing just how bad the unpeace half of Peace of Mind is for Alden these days.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

LLSix posted:

SupSup 85 on RR

I agree that in this instance Alden had a "spare" peace of mind available, however; you always have to balance your chains eventually. Forcing someone to experience either half ensures they also experience the other half at some point.

Also, both relevant chapters, 85, and the one where Hazel wastes Alden's calming Peace of Mind, were tweaked in the RR version to make it clearer that Alden's suffering in 85 is a result of Hazel wasting his peace of mind. To me, the tweaks in RR seemed like a fairly clear authorial reaction to Patreon readers theorycrafting other reasons for Hazel's presence and/or behavior.

A big part of 85 is detailing just how bad the unpeace half of Peace of Mind is for Alden these days.

its not just that, being targeted by hazel pokes his extremely sensitive authority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

SupSup 85 on RR

I think that Hazel's ability can only "call in debt" (or the "reward" if you already paid). I don't think she can force a chain on you (at least not in a way that makes you deal with the consequences). So Hazel can't just give Alden "Peace of Mind" against his will and force him to deal with the cost later. She can only "notice Alden is unbalanced and force him to balance his ledgers now."

So nothing she does can make you experience wordchain debt that you don't choose for yourself. She can just control when you pay for it (by forcing it early), which is still awful in its own way.

The most malicious way it can be used is "forcing you to deal with the debt early." As Alden mentions, he now needs to keep in mind that, any time he uses a chain, he might not be free to choose when he pays for it. If he uses "Peace of Mind" on himself, he'll need to consider the fact that someone like Hazel might force him to pay the cost early (if he tries to put it off until later).

Minor thing related to this from more recent Patreon chapters - when Lute uses the "body awareness" chain on Alden, Alden needs to accept it from him (IIRC through the system), and Lute is a higher Rank Chainer than Hazel.