Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

the answer is just tedious and not interesting at all
I can't tell you how many world changing products I would have built if I could just get myself to parse that dumb string.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

honestly if I went in to interview for an mobile dev position and they started asking algorithm questions, I would ask them why we need a sorting algorithm more complicated than .sortedBy { } on a front end when that should be performed on the backend

if that doesn’t immediately land the job then they suck butts and so will most of your coworkers

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i mean, if i saw any developer at my company, front or backend, writing a sort algorithm from first principles, i’d give them a talking to

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
for one of my technical interviews this internship cycle i wrote heapsort instead of doing Arrays.sort() because my brain is broken from algorithms classes and my interviewer (rightfully) made fun of me. passed the interview though

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

beepsort :thunk:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

NEETsort

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

boss just stopped dead in the middle of a mostly technical conversation during our 1:1 and said "you're not interviewing, are you?"

said no, but now i kinda feel like maybe i should be

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

boss just stopped dead in the middle of a mostly technical conversation during our 1:1 and said "you're not interviewing, are you?"

:yotj:

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Anyone have any advice for interviewing for a staff level position. I am not even sure how this place considers a sernior level position different from a staff level position. They both require 5+ years of experience (which is lol when compared to what any other non-computer toucher career considers "senior"). The only difference that I can tell is that seniors are assigned to specific projects while staff are not, there are allegedly more mentorship duties, and "staff" is considered higher level, more prestigious, and makes more money.

I know titles can vary wisely between companies, but anyone have any advice.

Fake edit: Doing some LinkedIn snooping and there are people at this company with 10+ years experience at senior level and then staff people barely with 5 so who knows.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

read book: https://www.amazon.com/Staff-Engineers-Path-Individual-Contributors/dp/1098118731

staff is when you're expected to start taking an organizational view when planning work

years of experience is not always an accurate indicator of peoples skill at that level

it is totally ok to top out at senior and do other things with your life

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Thank you! Ordered just now.

And thank you about the titles. Staff seems like a bit a stretch from what I currently have been doing, but they said they are really interested in me and there is not reason to not continue with the interviews, if only for practice.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

nudgenudgetilt posted:

it's a coded message to polish your resume

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's another staff engineering book that's available for free online. I haven't read the one that The Fool linked to, but this one is very good.

Staff engineer positions are still pretty standardized across companies but there is a little more variation than you'd see at the senior level. Since you know what some of the specific duties are here, you should expect to get questions about your experience with those things or similar work. At this level, the questions you ask can also play into how they perceive you, so think about what you'd need to know in order to decide whether the role is a good fit for you. You should also expect to see some technical questions that they'd throw at a senior engineer, and the bar may be higher for your answers depending on the company.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

ultrafilter posted:

There's another staff engineering book that's available for free online. I haven't read the one that The Fool linked to, but this one is very good.

Staff engineer positions are still pretty standardized across companies but there is a little more variation than you'd see at the senior level. Since you know what some of the specific duties are here, you should expect to get questions about your experience with those things or similar work. At this level, the questions you ask can also play into how they perceive you, so think about what you'd need to know in order to decide whether the role is a good fit for you. You should also expect to see some technical questions that they'd throw at a senior engineer, and the bar may be higher for your answers depending on the company.
Thank you. Got the audio book for this one as well. Going to have a lot of driving in the next week so this will be great. And good point about the questions and and the higher bar. They didn't mention this, but I am certain the coding test is going to be less fizz-buzzesque or even can you implement something at a high level (for the time given) and way, way, way more "ok now explain and justify your choices for why you did things the way you did. How would other people interpret and understand your code, especially if you can't just sit their next to them and explain in directly? What about maintainability, testability, documentation, etc.?" type questions.

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
the way i usually see senior -> staff framed is a change in the level/scale at which you contribute. At senior you're still doing tactical technical work and owning some features + influencing team direction. Staff is moving towards defining the strategy for the team(s) and making highly ambiguous problems tractable involving multiple teams, technically/organizationally complex solutions, and long O(years) time horizons.

forum enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 5, 2023

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Pulcinella posted:

Anyone have any advice for interviewing for a staff level position. I am not even sure how this place considers a sernior level position different from a staff level position. They both require 5+ years of experience (which is lol when compared to what any other non-computer toucher career considers "senior"). The only difference that I can tell is that seniors are assigned to specific projects while staff are not, there are allegedly more mentorship duties, and "staff" is considered higher level, more prestigious, and makes more money.

I know titles can vary wisely between companies, but anyone have any advice.

Fake edit: Doing some LinkedIn snooping and there are people at this company with 10+ years experience at senior level and then staff people barely with 5 so who knows.

Based on “senior are assigned to specific projects while staff are not”: At a senior level you’ll be able to focus on product work. At a staff level you’ll be doing whatever is necessary so that the seniors can focus on product work (up to and including doing said work for them).

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Well the interview with the hiring manager went well. There were basically no technical questions; brain chugging those two Staff Engineer books really helped. I should hopefully scheduling panel interviews soon. :toot:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Pulcinella posted:

Well the interview with the hiring manager went well. There were basically no technical questions; brain chugging those two Staff Engineer books really helped. I should hopefully scheduling panel interviews soon. :toot:

consider that a tentatively green flag; at some shops "staff engineer" is putatively as described as in this thread but in practice means "senior engineer with more money and prestige but less accountability," and those interviews are identical to senior engineer interviews.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I've found in my struggles (which are hopefully over for a while now because I finally got a Senior job) that Staff-level interviews are WAY more about stupid trivia like "how kafka does X" and "what does Y PaaS thing call its partition key" or whatever than dev ones.

it seems like they want staff engineers to be encyclopedias about the specific technologies the team already picked, so i got a lot of "the team loved you but are getting a more 'senior'-y vibe from you" followups which were equal parts humiliating and infuriating

i feel learning trivia about a specific bus/db/kvs implementation is a waste of time because the problems never wind up being caused by the underlying mechanics, its always people loving up like 2+ layers of abstraction above them, and it is trivial to google if for some reason it turns out to be important. I guess kafka is a bad example because you really do need to memorize a lot of that crap because it absolutely does not work out of the box last I checked (i've been using sqs for the past few jobs because kafka was so annoying to manage and use 5 years ago)

QuantumPotato
Feb 3, 2005

Fallen Rib
Leadership decided on a whim that my project and project team wasn't needed anymore, so now i'm on the hunt.

People keep telling me that i need to hire someone to "optimize" my resume to get past AI filters or some bullshit. Is there truth to that, I skimmed this thread but didn't see anything?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

QuantumPotato posted:

Leadership decided on a whim that my project and project team wasn't needed anymore, so now i'm on the hunt.

People keep telling me that i need to hire someone to "optimize" my resume to get past AI filters or some bullshit. Is there truth to that, I skimmed this thread but didn't see anything?

Just have a keyword section and place relevant keywords there.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

QuantumPotato posted:

sure, i'll do it for $300, send it over

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

nudgenudgetilt posted:

"I'm always keeping my options open and glancing the field but not actively looking right now, no"

make em sweat and give you more money

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
"I am always looking for paradigm shifts and innovation in personal revenue growth."

raminasi posted:

consider that a tentatively green flag; at some shops "staff engineer" is putatively as described as in this thread but in practice means "senior engineer with more money and prestige but less accountability," and those interviews are identical to senior engineer interviews.

Scheduled all my panels for the same day (which they were happy to accommodate) with breaks in between. Just don't have chunks of time throughout the week to book. Can't even do lunch because a very important 3rd party picks that time to meet with us at my current job because it's the only time they are free. Plus I want to make a good impression and not steal my potential future coworkers lunch break. I don't know how people did this before video calls and work from home.

All this does make me want to make a multipage version of my resume that documents everything and then cut it down to one page for submission. Basically just to help me remember everything I've done. In a lot of interviews the interviewer has keyed off of one or two things and asked me to expand on it. As I am talking it jogs a whole lot of "oh poo poo I also did this thing as well" memories that will probably be forgotten in a few years and it would be good for me to write it down now.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

leper khan posted:

Just have a keyword section and place relevant keywords there.

and try to use those keywords in the body of the resume too.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Pulcinella posted:

All this does make me want to make a multipage version of my resume that documents everything and then cut it down to one page for submission.

this is what I do. one version with everything ever, trim that down to one page to apply somewhere. it's easier for me to tailor the resume for what I want to highlight by deleting and rearranging stuff than it would be to add things

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
My new favorite thing is CS undergrad resumes that put python: advanced in their skills.

Some features of these people:
- GitHub code.py from school assignment. Has indecipherable camelCase variable names, no docstrings, barely any comments
- GitHub projects have no readme or requirements.txt despite importing several 3rd party packages
- GitHub projects do have private API keys committed publicly though
- Have no idea what decorators are or why they're used
- Have never heard of lambdas or anonymous functions, no idea why you'd use one
- Have never deployed code for use outside their own computer

If you put a skill level on your resume, know that this is what some assume when you say advanced and that anything less than advanced is worse than this.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 23, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its the grand secular decrease in putertouchin skills now that peeps dont really have to janitor poo poo to do normal crap on a computer

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nah that's just people not understanding what actually goes into computer touching as a profession vs as a hobby.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
some of that, too, yeah

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's people thinking they're advanced because they (think that they) understand all the ideas that they've been exposed to. I used to see it with candidates for a job that required C++ programming who would rate themselves 9/10 with two years experience.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
i was just being glib about kids these days but this is a good discussion i went from glib to glib + glibc

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CarForumPoster posted:

kids these days

:argh:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
nobody wants to post anymore!!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
its not all bad
back in my day the programming class was 6 virgins and and ugly girl
if u were gonna docker you had to be very secretive, lawrence v texas hadnt happened yet
nowadays coding and docking is for everyone!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

nobody wants to post anymore!!

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

CarForumPoster posted:

If you put a skill level on your resume, know that this is what some assume when you say advanced and that anything less than advanced is worse than this.

And here I am quintuple checking every interview coding assignment before I submit because I have an irrational fear that I accidentally, somehow (again irrational), left in a bunch of swears or something.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

bit of a weird post this

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

CarForumPoster posted:

My new favorite thing is CS undergrad resumes that put python: advanced in their skills.

when i was a stupid CS undergrad 20+ years ago a microsoft interviewer doing on-campus screens absolutely took me to the woodshed for doing this and was completely justified in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
putting down "C++: expert" fresh out of college with no experience has the energy of a guy who learns to snowplough and then says "double black diamond ain't poo poo"

like buddy you are about to powerfully Hurt Yourself