Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What radio stations are supposed to stream during professional sports is rarely what actually does go on the stream during professional sports. Those systems are held together by duct tape and dreams and even the automated switches rarely hit when they should, or they gently caress up and default back to just simulcasting whatever the terrestrial signal is sending.

E: other times you might get the intended programming on an app like tunein, iheartradio, etc, but the station website itself just defaults to simulcasting the terrestrial signal.

TL/DR version: poo poo’s weird.

E2: I'm ramblin' and I can't stop myseelllfffff

Stations running a simulcast through their website only really came into vogue in the late 2000s, and by that point the bloodletting at a lot of station clusters had begun in earnest as the revolution of streaming music and podcasts really kicked into gear. Staffing shrunk to below skeleton-crew levels and even as more stations agreed to run taped programming on the stream during live sporting events, a lot of them just didn't have much staff left as programming became automated 24/7, there was little reason to have any more talent or producers in the stations setting up that programming and the switches, and nowadays about the only people physically at the stations are maybe one live host and a couple engineers left to take care of transmitters and equipment for a cluster of several stations.

Why no, I didn't live through almost exactly this with my previous employer, why do you ask? :v:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Any idea why it works fine on a laptop browser though?

And thanks for the tip! I never knew about that site.

My immediate guess is the agreements with radio syndicates and/or SiriusXM prevent it from being broadcast on a mobile device because they want you listening to them if you’re in the car.

The number of people listening while not in a car is probably too small for them to care at all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Fascinating. Well, I'll keep on keeping on with my method then.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'll say as someone who also listens to radio broadcasts for whatver reason the Lakers went from the audio being blocked on their local station during games to streaming on desktop (although aslo, not on mobile).

But the NBA also provides audio for just $10.00 a year so I usually just get that.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

just give me a call, i'll tell you what's happening in the lions game

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fox Deportes has acquired the English broadcast rights to the Mexican national team. No, that is not a typo.

They'll have Saturday's friendly vs. Ghana and Tuesday's vs. Germany.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There is some English content on many Spanish stations so that part isn’t that weird but there are some parts of the country where you gotta get a special package to get even FSD so that part might not be great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I was wondering when something like this might come to light

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1712524964354548146

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean.

Like, Like McAfee or not

Duh?

McAfee since Rodgers started doing weekly appearances or whatever has loving exploded in popularity.

Like the local radio station I listen to pays people to come on and talk about sports for various weekly segments. Millions, prooobably not, but gently caress if I know. But it provides more than whatever value they pay to get people into watching the show.

How is that some massive scandal lmao, a TV/YT show paying for a scheduled weekly appearance.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 12, 2023

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Awful Announcing put it well, it isn't a scandal by radio show standards at all, but it's interesting to see it happen under ESPN's banner.

quote:

While Marchand’s reporting indicates that the payment for Rodgers comes out of the five-year, $85 million contract that McAfee signed with ESPN this year, that’s ultimately a distinction without much of a difference. The reality is that The Pat McAfee Show — which has been thriving on digital platforms, but with less success on linear television — is now one of ESPN’s tentpole shows and is paying handsomely for a regular high profile guest.

Paying for interview spots is nothing new, especially in the sports radio world, but it’s hard to recall a time that an ESPN show has done so. While McAfee’s show is more of an entertainment entity than a journalistic one, the company builds a not insignificant portion of its programming around what Rodgers says in what we now know are paid interviews on their very airwaves.

In addition to the obvious concerns about the compromises an interviewer might have to make while paying an interview subject, the news that Rodgers is being compensated for the hits puts another spotlight on the star quarterback’s comments about the COVID-19 vaccine, including his jabs at Kelce, who he calls “Mr. Pfizer.” It’s also worth wondering whether any other guests on ESPN shows — be it McAfee or elsewhere — are being paid and if this news could establish a new precedent for the company or an asking price from potential guests.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Jomboy media paid Aaron Boone like 300k or whatever to go on their show weekly this past season. It's a perfectly standard thing. IDK why anyone cares.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't know why a guy that looks like your weird brother in law slash weird uncle (age dependent on your perspective) who apparently was attacked by a rare species of moth that only eats the sleeves off of clothes is popular and I don't care to know.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Jomboy media paid Aaron Boone like 300k or whatever to go on their show weekly this past season. It's a perfectly standard thing. IDK why anyone cares.

As mentioned above, it’s because it’s so rare for ESPN, and especially an ESPN TV program to do it. I’m guessing this is less “now this is how ESPN does business” and more “allowing it to happen as an inherited part of McAfee’s show,” but that it happens at all for an ESPN TV show is still surprising.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Starting to wonder if McAfee is just telling Rodgers to say as much stupid poo poo as possible to drive ratings up. I also believe Rodgers is a legit dumbass though, so maybe it doesn’t take much encouragement.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Sash! posted:

I don't know why a guy that looks like your weird brother in law slash weird uncle (age dependent on your perspective) who apparently was attacked by a rare species of moth that only eats the sleeves off of clothes is popular and I don't care to know.

it's like walking into a dive bar at 3 PM and this random guy is trying to talk to you about literally anything in sports in between jello shots

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Starting to wonder if McAfee is just telling Rodgers to say as much stupid poo poo as possible to drive ratings up. I also believe Rodgers is a legit dumbass though, so maybe it doesn’t take much encouragement.

The story is that like Hawk/Pat are friends/cool with Rodgers, they asked him to come on the show, he said sure why not.

Those segments ended up doing very very well for Pat and like ended up helping him and his people get paid paid, and Pat decided then he was going to pay Rodgers back for his time, and pretty much forced Rodgers to take the check after Rodgers initially turned it down, by showing him just like how much money they made because of him.

That weekly segment is almost assuredly just Rodgers being a piece of poo poo and himself.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Nybble posted:

it's like walking into a dive bar at 3 PM and this random guy is trying to talk to you about literally anything in sports in between jello shots

Look I was just being friendly and I have very few people to talk to since my bitch ex-wife left me and took the kids so why don't you just stay a while and listen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Its not the attempt to have a conversation that is the problem, it's the fact that they're always like 4 Lowe podcasts behind and I can't really be responsible to catch them up.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-6MoyujZo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1714067073997947028

Ryan Clark with a fantastic callback last night

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/kevini/status/1714312198150070541?s=46

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I wonder if this means that Paramount+ will just handle it directly instead of Showtime, or maybe they really are just cutting it out entirely. This is funny because HBO/Max just added sports. Seemed like this might be a place for streaming services to add markets.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
From the boxing fans perspective it's sad the same way when HBO stopped airing boxing in 2018 but mainly for sentimental reasons since HBO and Showtine have been synonymous with the sport since I've been alive but pretty obviously coming to anyone who pays attention to these things.

Their production and commentary was the best out of Top Rank on ESPN and whatever slop DAZN manages to cobble together randomly but still a step down from the old Jim Lampley/Roy Jones/Max Kellerman/Harold Lederman (rip) glory days. They also had the best of the network stables being aligned with Premier Boxing Champions (PBC)
It seems most likely that PBC will end up on Amazon Prime or DAZN.

I don't think the UFC would have a big appetite for making a deal to buy Bellator so soon after merging with WWE so it seems most likely it will be sold to the One FC or PFL promotions.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/dpshow/status/1714030959279087726

Dan Patrick with a really sweet tribute to Barry Melrose

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The SituAsian posted:

From the boxing fans perspective it's sad the same way when HBO stopped airing boxing in 2018 but mainly for sentimental reasons since HBO and Showtine have been synonymous with the sport since I've been alive but pretty obviously coming to anyone who pays attention to these things.

I've never been interested in boxing myself, but even I have that same sentimental reaction.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/1714354078166225233

I cannot recommend this enough lmao

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I have not seen Stugotz happier than cutting it up with Mad Dog about taking gummies on PJs.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1716162789318766765

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lmfao I know that tone. That is the tone of someone absolutely sick of the live reads the network gives him. Godspeed, buddy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait you don’t think he watched Fboy Island? :(

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'd like to dream.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait you don’t think he watched Fboy Island? :(

Would've been fun to be a fly on the wall during the production meeting where this man earnestly, innocently asks what is an Fboy. Drawing straws to determine who'll be the one to have "fuckboy" in their search history.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Bally's officially went off the air here today. "Arizona Family Sports" is on the air for cable and OTA.

It's very reminiscence of early RSNs before they got endless hours of poker and minor league european racecars, just a ton of local sports team fluff magazine shows.

At least I'll be able to watch Suns games if I go broke completely.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It's every Suns game OTA? That's pretty cool.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/jb8sy/status/1716011297144242407

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

It's every Suns game OTA? That's pretty cool.

Yeah all the non-TNT/ESPN games.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Kinda related, but the Pels just straight up gave me League Pass Premium with my season tickets this season. First time I have ever seen that happen. I know there has been a lot of local hate on being tied to Bally’s so maybe this is an attempt to assuage that anger?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hahahaha ok that’s great

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Unironically more people need to write on and sign pictures they post like they're sending a fan a signed headshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

i'm really hoping that Bally drops a bunch of NBA teams the same way they dropped low-ratings MLB teams this season. From my understanding, those MLB teams were picked up by ESPN and the games were shown on hulu.

In lieu of the Pacers ever going back to OTA networks, I will happily accept watching the games on hulu. it's kinda stupid that so many NBA teams adopted the RSN strategy, letting their local fanbases atrophy in the process. I guess the guaranteed money from a cable company is nicer than hoping local fans buy tickets and merchandise.