Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Giffen was a first fave of mine when I was just getting into comics - his stuff was easily identifiable and read differently than most others at the time. Focused on character, weirdness, hi-brow and lowbrow pushing against each other. When I was first going through those back issues, anything I’d see with his name on it was an insta-buy. He’ll be missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

well, poo poo :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wow, this one hits hard.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Random Stranger posted:

Wow, this one hits hard.

Yeah, reflecting on it some more, it's the first one that really hits me as someone from my era of reading stuff. I know there have been some terrible losses the last few years but they were all either before my time or (outside of the odd random issue) worked on books I never actually read back in the day. But J.M and Keith's JLI means as much to me as Claremont's X-Men/New Mutants, or the Simonsons' X-Factor, and the thought of anything happening to any of those folks is crushing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Giffen is one of my favorite comic book writers OF ALL TIME, and one of the people most responsible for shaping my sense of humor and love of superhero comics from a very young age. I am heartbroken.

Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis wrote the hugely influential Justice League International (later Justice League America) series, which made me a lifelong fan of its two breakout characters, Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. They were best friends and regular guys -- a brilliant nerd from the present and a self-absorbed jock from the future -- trying their best to be superheroes. They often screwed up, but could at least laugh about it. JLI/JLA was a superhero team presented as a dysfunctional workplace sitcom, and it was so far ahead of its time, you wouldn't believe it.

I met Giffen at Florida Supercon in Miami Beach several years ago. He patiently signed every comic I brought and listened to me mark out about what an important influence he was on my life, from my elementary school years to the present.

At HeroesCon in Charlotte, North Carolina, in 2019, I was lucky enough to attend a panel with Giffen AND DeMatteis reminiscing about their time co-writing the Justice League books and riffing off each other, like two old-timey vaudeville or Borscht Belt comedians.

Some people may not realize Giffen also co-created Rocket Raccoon in the '80s and relaunched the Guardians of the Galaxy as a comic in the late 2000s, putting together Star Lord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket, Groot, and Mantis for the first time. Those movies exist because of his work. And he also co-created the newer, more popular Blue Beetle, Jaime Reyes, who just got a movie.

RIP to one of the greats -- an unsung hero of the industry, and a hero of mine as well. May Keith Giffen's memory be a blessing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, reflecting on it some more, it's the first one that really hits me as someone from my era of reading stuff. I know there have been some terrible losses the last few years but they were all either before my time or (outside of the odd random issue) worked on books I never actually read back in the day. But J.M and Keith's JLI means as much to me as Claremont's X-Men/New Mutants, or the Simonsons' X-Factor, and the thought of anything happening to any of those folks is crushing.

There's also how it was out of the blue. We knew George Perez was dying so when he passed it was time to celebrate his life because the mourning had been done.

Giffen was always the guy that the people who were really deep into comics knew and loved. Not a superstar with flashy splash pages that got a lot of attention, but a genuine comic artist who understood panel flow and storytelling and acting with his characters on a level that few could match. Giffen was distinctive and that makes the loss of him hit even harder.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 12, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This death hits me super hard. God drat

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1712517366691619102

https://twitter.com/D4hz4hn/status/1712496328427655529

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A new group of creators will be publishing creator-owned comics through Image that look identical to the creator-owned comics currently published through Image that make it to max two collections and then vanish from existence.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nice of the lovely people to quarantine themselves like this where they can be ignored.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Image flashbacks.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

The Last Call posted:

Image flashbacks.

except people cared about the image founders lol

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

It's funny, I saw a news article about this without naming the studio or the people involved in the headline and I was like "oh cool, another profile about DSTLRY" and clicked on it only to find out it was this.

I'm sure there are people that care but when Image was created, people cared because it was hot talent at the top of their game and this...isn't. Don't get me wrong, there's some good names in there but...who's really excited to read new Geoff Johns material? How many people look at a cover and see Tomasi's name and say "oh this is something I've gotta check out."

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone ever read Maze Agency, the mystery series by Mike W. Barr? Comico first published it in 1988, and Innovation took over after Comico went bust. It is probably most notable for having some issues drawn by a young Adam Hughes, who went on to draw Justice League America and then became a superstar.

I am just starting to watch Moonlighting on Hulu, which combines two of my favorite genres: detective stories and "screwball" comedies with fast-paced, witty banter. Maze Agency sure sounds like it was influenced by Moonlighting (which first aired in 1985), but I was wondering if it was any good, beyond the early Hughes artwork.

I kind of like being on the hunt for out-of-print rarities, like how I pieced together complete runs of the '80s Vigilante series and the horror anthology Wasteland (which I still haven't had time to read). I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and having things just out of my grasp, but I don't want to waste my time, effort, and money if the comics aren't worth it.

I went to a comic shop today, about an hour from home, that has been selling back issues (either miniseries, story arcs, or relatively short completed series) as decently priced sets. They didn't have any Maze Agency, but I saw a bunch of '80s rarities that I remember from DC house ads from the same era: stuff like Silver Blade, Skreemer, Nathaniel Dusk P.I., and Crimson Avenger, as well as more mainstream miniseries like Millennium, Invasion, and Zero Hour. I think that is fantastic, especially for obscurities that were never collected into trade paperbacks.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/bleedingcool/status/1713918368074568133

That sound you heard was me punching a hole in the wall.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
He does in my fanfic

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can confirm I also have not had sex with J Edgar Hoover

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

I can confirm I also have not had sex with J Edgar Hoover

I bet Bill Clinton never had sex with J. Edgar Hoover, the guy they literally literally named a sucking-machine after.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jeff Smith has a kickstarter up to reprint the Thorn college strips that were basically the prototype of Bone:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cartoonbooks/thorn-the-complete-proto-bone-college-strips-1982-1986

I'm trying to decide if I want the hard cover when I know the quality is going to be rough...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Jeff Smith has a kickstarter up to reprint the Thorn college strips that were basically the prototype of Bone:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cartoonbooks/thorn-the-complete-proto-bone-college-strips-1982-1986

I'm trying to decide if I want the hard cover when I know the quality is going to be rough...

Hell yeah, definitely getting the HC.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
All of the worst people are so mad

https://twitter.com/magsvisaggs/status/1715397060667539530?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what happened to zack snyder's zombie space alien universe

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I like that art, I've never heard of this Rebel Moon stuff before, are there existing books, anyone have opinions on them?

edit: I misread, I guess it's a prequel to movie or show, at first I thought it was a prequel to another comic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rebel Moon is Snyder's rejected Star Wars pitch being made into a Netflix movie. This is a prequel comic to said movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Rebel Moon is Snyder's rejected Star Wars pitch being made into a Netflix movie. This is a prequel comic to said movie.

It'd have to be really really terrible to not be in the top ten of Star Wars movies.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I dunno, it is competing with at least three Final Fantasy games

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Even Zach Snyder star wars has to be better than rise of Skywalker

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've been reading Claire Bretécher's Les Frustrés and decided to Bing the artist (I've read her work before, just never bothered to look her up). I don't think I've ever seen a greater disparity between an artist's self-portrait and portrait.

(Meanwhile, Gotlib [appearing in one photograph with Bretécher] looks exactly as one would expect: "what if Stephen King was France".)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, sorry if this isn't the best thread to ask for recs in, but does anyone know of some good non-superpowered war (preferably Vietnam or maybe the Pacific) and/or vigilante comics/GNs off-hand, by any chance? (Obviously not both in one, as that would... be difficult, unless it was about The Comedian from Watchmen, I guess)
Since I'm kinda feeling like reading something in that style, but I'm not sure where to start. Preferably something that comes in a 'complete edition'/omni, so that I don't need to hunt down thirty issues, I guess

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, sorry if this isn't the best thread to ask for recs in, but does anyone know of some good non-superpowered war (preferably Vietnam or maybe the Pacific) and/or vigilante comics/GNs off-hand, by any chance? (Obviously not both in one, as that would... be difficult, unless it was about The Comedian from Watchmen, I guess)
Since I'm kinda feeling like reading something in that style, but I'm not sure where to start. Preferably something that comes in a 'complete edition'/omni, so that I don't need to hunt down thirty issues, I guess

War: Garth Ennis has a series of comics called Battlefields that are all collected. I recall reading the first one years ago and enjoyed it, not sure how the rest are.
Will Eisner's Last Day in Vietnam.
EC Comics had a lot of war stories, many set in Korea.

Vigilante: A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance by Remender was decent and has a complete edition.
Kill or Be Killed by Brubaker, although there's an element of supernatural.
Criminal by Brubaker, no ghosts there, although not really vigilante (if this expands to crime then other stuff opens up like Rucka). Velvet is war-adjacent.
Scarlet by Bendis

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

For more Ennis suggestions I'm almost positive his Punisher MAX series contains zero super powers and features at least one arc that takes place entirely in Vietnam. I don't think his Nick Fury MAX books contain any super powers, but I'm less sure than I am about Punisher.

He also did a graphic novel called Sara about a female sniper on the Eastern front.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks - great suggestions! I'm initially looking at Kill or be Killed, Sara and Punisher MAX - although regarding Punisher, is there a good point to finish-off (whether temporarily or permanently) after a couple of hopefully self-contained volumes/omnis, out of curiosity? Since it seems to go for quite a few volumes. (Also sadly, KobK's deluxe/complete edition is OoP, looks like. I'll poke around though, since it does seem like an interesting idea)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Thanks - great suggestions! I'm initially looking at Kill or be Killed, Sara and Punisher MAX - although regarding Punisher, is there a good point to finish-off (whether temporarily or permanently) after a couple of hopefully self-contained volumes/omnis, out of curiosity? Since it seems to go for quite a few volumes. (Also sadly, KobK's deluxe/complete edition is OoP, looks like. I'll poke around though, since it does seem like an interesting idea)

The whole series is fifty issues, but most of the arcs are mostly self contained. Like some characters will come back in a future arc, but the first arc featuring them had a decent resolution.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
For the Ennis Punisher MAX stuff that's Vietnam related you want to look at

Punisher: The Platoon (2018)
and then Punisher: Born (2003)
then Punisher MAX issues 55-60 (also collected as vol 10 Valley Forge, Valley Forge)
and then Fury: My War Gone By

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh poo poo, for some reason I thought Ennis Punisher Max series was only 50 issues, but I guess it was 75. Also it's just called Punisher, or Frank Castle: Punisher with the MAX logo in the corner, but it looks like collected editions call it Punisher MAX.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Charley's War is one of the best ever war comics and Pat Mills also wrote the great comic Savage if you want a combo of vigilante/resistance in Punisher like style

3 Volumes for Charley's War https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/RCA-B0022
and 2 volumes for Savage https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/XB438

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I have no idea on the quality but Marvel had a 1980s comic called The 'Nam and at least some of it is available on Marvel Unlimited I'm pretty sure.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Ennis did two runs on Punisher.

The first, published under the Marvel Knights imprint, was more of a dark humor thing. Starting with the "Welcome Back, Frank" 12-issue miniseries (in 2000) and continuing with a 37-issue ongoing series (starting in 2001), plus a couple of spinoff miniseries afterwards. It's a black humor book, similar in tone to Preacher - a combination of grim, deadpan, slapstick, and absurd. Superheroes do show up (Wolverine, Hulk, Spider-Man, Daredevil) but in true Ennis fashion they are mostly chumps and are played for laughs (Wolverine ends up getting a steamroller parked on him, for example).

The second series (this one for Max) started in 2004 and it is bleak. Black humor, but without any of the humor - just black. No superheroes, nothing too unrealistic (it's Tom Clancy's Marvel Universe, not Stan Lee's). 60 issues (a new writer came on board at 61) plus a bunch of minis and one-shots (Born, The Tyger, The Cell, The End) and some associated series (Barracuda, My War Gone By). I liked it quite a bit but Ennis really turns the nihilism dial up to 11.

There was a Jason Aaron series that follows on the Ennis Max work which started in 2009. It runs 22 issues and brings that version of Frank Castle story to an end. As grim as the Ennis but somehow even more hosed up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I was specifically talking about the Ennis Max run, not Knights because that has a lot of super hero stuff, plus I think time travel at some point?

But if you think Max doesn't have humor, I don't really know what to say. You might not like the jokes, and they don't come as often as in the Knights series, but there's definitely jokes.

I also don't really think of Jason Aaron's Max series as a direct follow-up, since Frank seems much younger in it and it entirely takes place in New York and revolves around Bullseye and Kingpin. I liked it when I read it in my mid twenties, but even then it also seemed like a step down from Ennis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Technically not superpowered: