Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

maybeadracula posted:

It got cancelled for insisting on gay stuff

Then it got a poo poo ton of awards and got uncanceled

Then they pushed the gay stuff even harder and got cancelled again

First intersex character, non-binary main, first gay marriage in "kids show", "cross-dressing" etc

I didn't know it got cancelled so many times, drat.

I could have sworn Spinel was left behind "playing a game" because Pink saw her as a toy, and she didn't need a plaything when she had her own colony to rule.

IIMM: works for shows like Mad Men, Game of Thrones, pretty much anything with time passing...post the loving month and year at the start of the episode! Especially when shows are binged so easily. It would certainly help the viewer go, okay so a year has passed since the last episode, instead of just a few weeks, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I could have sworn Spinel was left behind "playing a game" because Pink saw her as a toy, and she didn't need a plaything when she had her own colony to rule.

That's the stated reason, but I always interpret the body language in the scene to have more depth. She didn't need Spinel anymore, but Spinel wasn't taking the hint, so she made up the game to get her off her back because her antics had gone from funny to annoying and she could feel the rage starting to bubble up, so came up with a lie to force the situation as she was still trying to get out of the bad habits that hurt Volleyball and wasn't quite there yet. The stated reason was WHAT she did, but there seemed to be more to the why.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

That's the stated reason, but I always interpret the body language in the scene to have more depth. She didn't need Spinel anymore, but Spinel wasn't taking the hint, so she made up the game to get her off her back because her antics had gone from funny to annoying and she could feel the rage starting to bubble up, so came up with a lie to force the situation as she was still trying to get out of the bad habits that hurt Volleyball and wasn't quite there yet. The stated reason was WHAT she did, but there seemed to be more to the why.

I mean to be fair, most gems would've acted like spinel did pre-abandonment: that was her purpose and function!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cowslips Warren posted:

IIMM: works for shows like Mad Men, Game of Thrones, pretty much anything with time passing...post the loving month and year at the start of the episode! Especially when shows are binged so easily. It would certainly help the viewer go, okay so a year has passed since the last episode, instead of just a few weeks, etc.

A whole thing with Spinel is she got told to wait and stand still and literally did just that for 6000 years plus since no one told her otherwise til she got a message that Pink Diamond was dead and all orders were null and void, and spends pretty much the entire movie in an ongoing breakdown over how stupid she felt among other feelings.

In general people get weird over that character in particular because the whole point is we see Pink Diamond/Rose Quartz's entire character arc in reverse. She was indeed a thoughtless spoiled princess who was raised to see other gems as literally her property and playthings, prone to tantrums and attachments she was never taught how to handle in a healthy way, let alone handling conflict or personal crisis. It took her a long, hard road of learning about every lesson the hard way, not dissimilar to what Steven did, and it takes someone looking at the whole mess with relatively fresh eyes to even begin to untangle it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Okay so could someone please explain Homestuck to me?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

BioEnchanted posted:

It's a kid's show that goes into very mature themes because the writers know children can handle them. Apparently, many adults cannot though as it has some really stupid takes online sometimes from people willfully misreading it. One of the more common dumb takes is treating Fusion as a metaphor for sex when it's not, it's a metaphor for all kinds of relationships, some romantic (like Ruby and Sapphire), some familial.

Agreed, unless we're talking Sugilite.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Breetai posted:

Steven Universe sounds like it was made for people who thought that Adventure Time's problem was it wasn't weighed down by enough Important Lore.

Everyone who worked on adventure time is crazy. I dated Natasha Allegri in college so I got to see the rise of Pendleton Ward in real time. He had some weird poo poo before he got famous. I mean he had weird poo poo after, as well.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cowslips Warren posted:

Sometimes I think it's meant to be confusing, keep the audience a bit behind the characters, but often I think particularly with a show like GOT where it should take a certain amount of time for characters to get to places and you know there fudging that so I think they keep time vague to be not as obvious.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Armacham posted:

Everyone who worked on adventure time is crazy. I dated Natasha Allegri in college so I got to see the rise of Pendleton Ward in real time. He had some weird poo poo before he got famous. I mean he had weird poo poo after, as well.

Now _there's_ a show with some surprising twists in the overall theme and mood.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

maybeadracula posted:

a race of asexual alien ladies

I cringed pretty hard at this string of words but luckily a short look at the show reveals it's not That kind of anime.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
TIL that SU was not, in fact, that show about the guy with the rabbit hat and the dog, it was its own show.

I thought it was just gay rocks and that dude and his dog and sometimes gameboy going on adventures.

Dunno how I got those crosswired in my head, but :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's basically Dragon Ball Z but starring Gohan because Goku is dead and it's more about songs and feelings. Or Transformers but they're singing rocks instead of car robots. (Actually kinda funny watching Transformers Animated and how it's almost SU with the genders mostly swapped)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

TIL that SU was not, in fact, that show about the guy with the rabbit hat and the dog, it was its own show.

I thought it was just gay rocks and that dude and his dog and sometimes gameboy going on adventures.

Dunno how I got those crosswired in my head, but :shrug:

Probably not a coincidence given as mentioned they share key staff and are both prominent Cartoon Network shows of the era. They even both have a lot of references to retro games, chiptunes and a general bildungsroman plot.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I dislike most of the design of the bots in Animated but it's the only version where shockwave has emotions, and he's loving British instead, so that is hilarious.

edit: IIRC Sugilite's creation was a lot more sexual looking? I mean wasn't there like a 20 second sequence of the two (three) gyrating and doing some moves you'd see in a club? I know the fusion of Pearl and Garnet looked less so, and Lapis and Jasper had, what, a single hand-held and twirl?

I think SU suffered from super early installment weirdness/corporate meddling, much in the way Batman TAS almost did, where the producers thought the show needed a lighter heart and a wacky animal sidekick, like Scooby Doo style, because kids can't be trusted with hard issues or something. Lots of early SU suffers from that, where we're meant to kinda grow with how Steven learns about the gems, when 90% of the problems in the show could be avoided if he was just told the truth (the Rose thing from Pearl aside). And there's lots of little filler parts, similar to how The Last Airbender suffered from poo poo that could have been cut, but I assume again producers wanted a watered down version instead of a show that worked for kids and adults.

Similar to how Transformers Prime is one of the best TF series ever but the whole "two male robots as more than partners" thing is kinda brushed aside, even if anyone with working eyes can see Knock Out and Breakdown are a couple. But the fact the former doesn't get any time to show real mourning when the latter is killed, or episodes later when he finds his boyfriend's body has been used as a puppet makes me suspect there was something done but it got cut.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Oct 24, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you go through the old credits of Adventure Time you see a lot of names who went on to do their own shows on CN.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

I dislike most of the design of the bots in Animated but it's the only version where shockwave has emotions, and he's loving British instead, so that is hilarious.

He had emotions in the G1 cartoon, it's just that he only showed up a handful of times so his emotions were "Devoted to his waifu Megatron" and "Annoyed that :females: existed". Oh, and issuing a panicked call to scramble all Decepticons right before he gets crushed by Unicron.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

He had emotions in the G1 cartoon, it's just that he only showed up a handful of times so his emotions were "Devoted to his waifu Megatron" and "Annoyed that :females: existed". Oh, and issuing a panicked call to scramble all Decepticons right before he gets crushed by Unicron.

i mean to be fair, the "females" comment I think is because he's been hunting them for the past few million years and they keep Roadrunnering his Coyote tactics.

TF Prime he makes a loving dragon. I mean, if I had all the time in the world, I'd probably start somewhere around there too.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cowslips Warren posted:

And there's lots of little filler parts, similar to how The Last Airbender suffered from poo poo that could have been cut, but I assume again producers wanted a watered down version instead of a show that worked for kids and adults.
Season 1 of Avatar has a loooot of skippable content, but the show past mid Season 2 (basically after "The Blind Bandit") has so much gas that even the filler episodes tend to be great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It has lots of non-essential content but I wouldn't say any of it should be skipped.

No, not even that one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When I watched Avatar for the first time the first season took a month to get through, the second a week and the third a weekend.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

muscles like this! posted:

When I watched Avatar for the first time the first season took a month to get through, the second a week and the third a weekend.

It definitely ramps like crazy

SU is basically the same, with the added caveat that the first season is super long but as soon as it gets to the end of that season it hits hard

Of course in both shows that stuff isn't filler, it's necessary to understand and care about the characters enough for the greatest parts to matter

Watching without it is like telling a new Star Trek viewer to watch Yesterday's Enterprise or Far Beyond The Stars. Sure, they're top tier, but because of the rest

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's kinda weird because to me, SU suffers somewhat the same thing as Invincible: the namesake/main character becomes the most boring part of the story. in SU it's mostly because Steven is a kid and acts like an annoying kid for much of the early first season (which fits his character because he is learning all the things the same time we do, but it feels rather horrible in hindsight that so much was kept from him by the gems AND his dad, who should have at least had some info), and then as we learn more about the gems, I was far more interested in the war, the Cluster, Peridot and what happened back on Gem Homeworld, and Lapis. loving Lapis, I wanted more of her character. Same with Invincible: Mark is kinda interesting until Atom Eve comes into the show, until we see more of the side characters. I am way more interested in Monster Girl than the dude who keeps lying to his girlfriend while loving up his way through training.

But side characters can't always carry a new show or movie; Frasier did, but Cars 2 was horrible, one reason because Mater was the main character.

Youtube has started showing me Alter short films, so I've watched a few. Most of them are about 10-30 minutes, but so many of them just feel...unfinished? Like the ending is abrupt and I'm not quite sure what happened. Fish Wife was shot beautifully but the "mermaid's purse" if that's what it was, kinda came out of WTFville, and the ending was very snapped up. Skin and Bone was actually pretty well done, and I haven't watched Progeny yet, but so many feel like "if you don't understand this, it's too deep for you."

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I can't give Steven Universe a chance because it's just so unpleasant to view. Maybe the story is good, I dunno, but I hate the character designs, I hate the art style, and I hate the voice acting, especially Steven himself.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

maybeadracula posted:

Watching without it is like telling a new Star Trek viewer to watch Yesterday's Enterprise or Far Beyond The Stars. Sure, they're top tier, but because of the rest

Corollary: you also have to endure a lot of trash to get to Yesterday's Enterprise or Inner Light, or Darmok. It seems a lot more valuable because there's chaff.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Torquemada posted:

Corollary: you also have to endure a lot of trash to get to Yesterday's Enterprise or Inner Light, or Darmok. It seems a lot more valuable because there's chaff.

So it's kind of like how you delve through the Star Wars prequels and sequels to really enjoy Clone Wars and Rogue One?

I am still bitter that the Clone Wars was just some loving bugs and robots versus nobody clones. Just the name indicates something greater, like some bad dude cloned Jedi and made them mindless tools or something. But at that point I had not heard of the EU.

You think in StarWarsiverse, the name Skywalker has similar connotations like Hitler does here?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Cowslips Warren posted:

You think in StarWarsiverse, the name Skywalker has similar connotations like Hitler does here?

Quite the opposite

Nobody really knows Anakin is Vader except a handful of people and Luke is a hero of legend

Rey did not choose Hitler as her surname

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

maybeadracula posted:

Quite the opposite

Nobody really knows Anakin is Vader except a handful of people and Luke is a hero of legend

Rey did not choose Hitler as her surname

Also, Obi Wan couldn't be arsed to give baby Luke a fake name when he hid them with the Lars Family, giving the strong impression that Skywalker is that galaxy's version of Smith. Or maybe Obi's just a moron.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
There's a character in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds that has the 21st century equivalent of Hitler as her surname, and frequently talks about how it makes people judge her. I dunno, La'an, just change it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I started watching Ahsoka last night. Why the gently caress is Sabine a jedi now? At this point I'm under the impression that everyone in the whole galaxy is a Jedi.

I mean, sure, she had training from Kanan in Rebels, but that was strictly on how to fight with lightsabers so she could actually use the darksaber. A US Marine could teach me how to fire a rifle, that doesn't make me a marine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, Obi Wan couldn't be arsed to give baby Luke a fake name when he hid them with the Lars Family, giving the strong impression that Skywalker is that galaxy's version of Smith. Or maybe Obi's just a moron.

My headcanon on that is that Obi-Wan was actually trying to hide Leia. Vader knew Padme was pregnant, and he might have found out that their child survived. If he did, he would have found Luke in plain sight and not bothered looking further for a twin that he may not have known existed.

Also, given the obvious lack of oversight on Luke Vader might not have suspected that Obi-Wan himself was on Tattooine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Randalor posted:

I started watching Ahsoka last night. Why the gently caress is Sabine a jedi now? At this point I'm under the impression that everyone in the whole galaxy is a Jedi.

I mean, sure, she had training from Kanan in Rebels, but that was strictly on how to fight with lightsabers so she could actually use the darksaber. A US Marine could teach me how to fire a rifle, that doesn't make me a marine.

Ahsoka is like the only Jedi left as far as they know, so she just loosened the rules.

Did you fight with a lightsaber without slicing something off yourself? Congrats you're a Jedi.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Aphrodite posted:

Ahsoka is like the only Jedi left as far as they know, so she just loosened the rules.

Did you fight with a lightsaber without slicing something off yourself? Congrats you're a Jedi.

And she isn't really a Jedi, she left the order because they were a dumb ancient bureaucracy

So she's just doing her own thing and listening to the force as best she can

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She was all "I'm no jedi" and then they all died, and now she calls herself a Jedi and is naming new Jedi. It's a power move.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Rationally Irritating; what are they going to do with poor Ray Stevenson's storyline, I was kinda interested in what plotting / shenanigans he was up to.

Also RIP to the guy being possibly equal to Vader in the 'broad and imposing' bad guy stakes, standing next to Ahsoka she looked like kid-version again.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Rationally Irritating; what are they going to do with poor Ray Stevenson's storyline, I was kinda interested in what plotting / shenanigans he was up to.

Also RIP to the guy being possibly equal to Vader in the 'broad and imposing' bad guy stakes, standing next to Ahsoka she looked like kid-version again.

Yeah that's a genuine loss. He was the most promising part of the first season

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They will most likely recast since it seems like that was going in an important direction for the Filoni Mortis god bullshit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

I feel there's a not accidental comparison with the Mandalorians that a cultural identity outlives the wider institution, and Ashoka has a far more legitimate claim on the Jedi identity than Luke himself might if we're going by those rules.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Randalor posted:

Anything that starts undoing the whole 'Jedi is a term that means you're related to the Skywalker or Palpatine family I will take no more questions" thing is good.

The three best things out of star wars in the last 20 years is:

1.) All of Andor
2.) Luke telling Rey that the force isn't a 'jedi power', it binds everything in the universe and is for anyone who takes the time to feel it.
3.) Ahsoka telling Sabine that anyone can be a jedi - that natural talent helps a lot, but training can also get you there.

gently caress gatekeeping the force.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The end of The Last Jedi was pretty explicit showing anybody can master the force.

Then J.J. Abrams was brought back to do Rise of Skywalker.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Anything that starts undoing the whole 'Jedi is a term that means you're related to the Skywalker or Palpatine family I will take no more questions" thing is good.

1.) All of Andor
2.) Luke telling Rey that the force isn't a 'jedi power', it binds everything in the universe and is for anyone who takes the time to feel it.
3.) Ahsoka telling Sabine that anyone can be a jedi - that natural talent helps a lot, but training can also get you there.

4.) "May the force be with you." "Uh, and also with you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

IshmaelZarkov posted:

1.) All of Andor

The second episode they did say Sabine is force-sensitive, just laughably weak in it, so there was that. That being said, the actress for Hera does a very good job of saying a lot with just her facial expressions, and Chopper continues to be the best droid.