Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Divine Orator posted:

Lmao so after being in processing since may, and jumping through endless hoops and month long silences, including having to perform mutual obligation hamster wheel poo poo for literally nothing, centerlink just rejected my claim today for no given reason. Best I can figure is they slipped an extra task into my queue without informing me anywhere (because i guess its also my responsibility to be just refreshing my 5 month old claim status every day now as opposed to something ridiculous like sending me a text or an email or even an internal mygov message lol) and used that as an excuse to kill my claim. Literally had to happen the week I'm about to land a new job too jist as one final insult i guess. Really cannot be understated how much the system has gone from malicious to flat out non functional in the past year lol.

I was always 100% compliant but I would regularly get my payments cancelled because someone would forgot to tick a box to say that I'd attended a mandatory activity and the system would automatically eject me. I'd have to ring up and sit on hold for [x] minutes until I could speak to someone (sometimes several someones, being made to wait on hold each time I was transferred) and convince them I had actually been physically present at the right place at the right time. Whether or not that process went smoothly was entirely dependent on the person I spoke to and their mood at the time, I found that if I spoke to someone and got told "Sorry, it's not possible to fix this" but then rang back and spoke to a different person the answer might be "Oh yeah I can fix that right now, gimme 30 seconds"

One time I had an ongoing issue with my jobseeker provider and it took months to sort it out, and the only reason it got settled at all was that the office manager just happened to walk past when I was talking with my jobseeker rep and overheard the conversation and went "Wait, what? Let me look into that" and five minutes later she came back and went "Uh so that entire thing was a huge mess which would take too long to sort out, in the end I just marked you as 'complete' and exited you from the program."

hooman posted:

2. We regret to inform you the non-functionality is also malice.

I never really appreciated the phrase "The purpose of a system is what it does" until the majority of Centrelink's functions got outsourced to the private sector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
My "anxiety so bad i pass out if i receive a phone call" exemption has its third instance end in three days, so I'm looking forward to the 2-5 weeks it'll take for the final 3 months to be approved when i submit it tomorrow and am forced back into the MO system until they bother reading that my condition hasn't improved yet and I'm in the middle of treatment after 7 months on a waiting list. During this time I expect to be given no help or direction on what sort of work is suitable for a person with MS and powerful anxiety, be threatened with forced applications to warehouse work again, and potentially to have the whole thing denied by Centrelink despite being within the one year temporary condition window, where for the year the condition is so bad it turns off MOs, but a single day later it's just normal and I should be used to it and also get back to work.

Can we not just loving fix DSP in this country so people can access it and not have it just be JobSeeker-Lite with the same MOs and DES 'providers' that have no loving idea what they're doing beyond hitting the 'cancel payments' button they claim they don't have? On top of, you know, the other poo poo like getting rid of MOs since every inquiry and RC into the subject has found them to be a massive waste and an active detriment to any supposed outcomes they want?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

so, um, we going to do anything about the housing crisis in this country or what?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"The purpose of a system is what it does"

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hooman posted:

^^^ I hope that oval office falls down an open manhole.

jesus christ, gsc did their best alright?!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

GoldStandardConure posted:

I have been out doorknocking the last maybe 5 or so weeks for a friend who was running for city council, results came back today and they got elected!

Yay!

Megachud Basil got re-elected as Mayor of Perth, which is less good.

now you get to sit back and wait for the kickbacks to roll in

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

meteor9 posted:

During this time I expect to be given no help or direction on what sort of work is suitable for a person with MS and powerful anxiety, be threatened with forced applications to warehouse work again,

The Jobseeker reps have quotas they need to fill every month for people they send to job interviews or sign up to training sessions and if you're technically physically capable of doing the work they'll try and strongarm you into it regardless of whether it'll improve your outcomes or have a chance of getting the job. Their manager is hassling them to fulfill their quota and you're either wasting their time or helping them hit their targets, if they try to sign you up for something and you argue about it they'll get real frustrated about you making things difficult for them. One of them actually said that to my face one time, he'd already found another job somewhere else and had stopped caring about maintaining kayfabe.

They kept sending me to interviews for customer-facing jobs even though I'm a slovenly middleaged goony goon and the last person anyone would hire to be the 'face' of their nice company, lol. But you couldn't walk into the interview and go "Look, we both know you're not going to hire me so and this is a waste of both our time so how about we just skip all this?" because if the Jobseeker provider found out that you 'threw' the interview they'd cut off your payments lickety-split, so the interviewer and I always had to politely go through the motions even though we both knew the outcome as soon as they laid eyes on me.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hambeet posted:

jesus christ, gsc did their best alright?!

lets be honest though, i've probably done something (or will do, anyway) to deserve it

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

lets be honest though, i've probably done something (or will do, anyway) to deserve it

I mean, just on your film opinions alone....

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

The Divine Orator posted:

Lmao so after being in processing since may, and jumping through endless hoops and month long silences, including having to perform mutual obligation hamster wheel poo poo for literally nothing, centerlink just rejected my claim today for no given reason. Best I can figure is they slipped an extra task into my queue without informing me anywhere (because i guess its also my responsibility to be just refreshing my 5 month old claim status every day now as opposed to something ridiculous like sending me a text or an email or even an internal mygov message lol) and used that as an excuse to kill my claim. Literally had to happen the week I'm about to land a new job too jist as one final insult i guess. Really cannot be understated how much the system has gone from malicious to flat out non functional in the past year lol.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ndroidApp_Other

You're not alone.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007
Getting Jobseeker was honestly harder than the actual work I ended up doing when I was trying to get it.

There is something fundamentally wrong when the thing that is supposed to assist and encourage you into the workforce leaves you more drained than working.

My other personal favourite is that when I went to study a few years down the track I applied for th one off Austudy payment. Did all the paperwork with my partner, got told I would get it, got the payment, spent it on books and a laptop. Then 6 months later I got an audit request presented all my paperwork a second time, review was fine, was told I was eligible and went about my day.

Then suddenly after being successfully approved and reviewed I got told I never should have got it and I had to pay the whole lot back.

I refused, they sent debt collectors after me and I refused to pay anything over $5 as a payment plan and said take me to court or take the $5.

I hope it cost them mote than they made. Fuckers

Gorfob fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 24, 2023

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Gorfob posted:

Getting Jobseeker was honestly harder than the actual work I ended up doing when I was trying to get it.

There is something fundamentally wrong when the thing that is supposed to assist and encourage you into the workforce leaves you more drained than working.

My other personal favourite is that when I went to study a few years down the track I applied for th one off Austudy payment. Did all the paperwork with my partner, got told I would get it, got the payment, spent it on books and a laptop. Then 6 months later I got an audit request presented all my paperwork a second time, review was fine, was told I was eligible and went about my day.

Then suddenly after being successfully approved and reviewed I got told I never should have got it and I had to pay the whole lot back.

I refused, they sent debt collectors after me and I refused to pay anything over $5 as a payment plan and said take me to court or take the $5.

I hope it cost them mote than they made. Fuckers

I am currently completing my third round of 'mutual' obligations and my jobseeker claim has not even been viewed or progressed in any way. i have received no payments.

do these cunts understand what 'mutual' means?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

I am currently completing my third round of 'mutual' obligations and my jobseeker claim has not even been viewed or progressed in any way. i have received no payments.

Yeah, it's the business HR definition of "mutual"

1. Do what we say.
2. gently caress you.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Steps one and two are interchangeable

If you have disabilities or challenges that might make it harder for you to find or search for work, you could try disability job providers. I got put onto one for depression/anxiety and they were actually helpful and not assholes. Although that will vary from place to place I suppose

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Simply amazing.
https://bsky.app/profile/patrickkeneally.bsky.social/post/3kchmheotof2f

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Disappointed to hear images have emerged of Alan Jones donning what appears to be "black face" during a rugby function in the 1980s

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Maybe disappointing but it was the '80's and it was Alan Jones so absolutely no surprises. Both because Alan Jones was always of the hoity toity crowd given to this stuff and also that photos of him are more likely to survive much longer than many other people's blackface efforts of that time.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Eediot Jedi posted:

If you have disabilities or challenges that might make it harder for you to find or search for work, you could try disability job providers. I got put onto one for depression/anxiety and they were actually helpful and not assholes. Although that will vary from place to place I suppose

Absolutely varies, nearly half of JS recipients are seeing disability job providers via DES, and most are exactly as poo poo as the regular JSAs, but with the added bonus of having zero training or knowledge of anything related to disability despite the name!

I previously mentioned being threatened with factory work because I was having trouble figuring out what I could do with my illness fast enough for their liking and got treated like I was making my disability up, and that was a DES place.

The entire system needs to be loving burned to the ground.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Wizard Master posted:

Disappointed to hear images have emerged of Alan Jones donning what appears to be "black face" during a rugby function in the 1980s

This mention of Alan Jones made me think of John Laws. So I looked him up, and it turns out the bastard is still alive.

I thought he died 5 or so years ago.

Pity. Still, he is 88 so hopefully it won't be too long now for the corrupt racist bastard.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

gridshitting

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
shitgridding

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

yes this is what causes bushfires

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Cut down on the spicy foods

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

Cut down on the spicy foods
don't kinkshame hambeet

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Herald Sun published a lovely cartoon by Mark Knight depicting Vic premier Jacinta Allan in the nude and pretty much most people went "Ugh, can we not?" but I've seen a few idiots trying to devil's advocate it. I saw one guy dredging up Larry Pickering's nude political calendars from the 1970 & 80s as some sort of precedent for "satirical nudity" which I guess shows we haven't come very far at all.

Also Pickering was a convicted scam artist and unrepentant hateful bigot all the way up until his death in 2018 so if he's the best guy you can come up with to support your argument then :shrug:

Wikipedia posted:

On 10 February 2017, at a speech for the far-right Q Society, Pickering denounced Muslims and homosexuals, saying "I can't stand Muslims. If they are in the same street as me, I start shaking. They are not all bad [because] they do chuck pillow-biters off buildings."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Knight can't draw. I thought it was meant to be Dan.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

mark knight is such a hack who clearly fell upwards onto the herald sun gravy train.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I am entirely unsurprised Alan Jones did blackface, but I am surprised he went as far as to bring a minstrel cane for his act.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Laserface posted:

The torture is by design.

The sheer inhumaity of Centerlink and poo poo like Robodebt just boggles the mind

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The torture is by design.

The sheer inhumaity of Centerlink and poo poo like Robodebt just boggles the mind

It's only inhumanity if you see poors as human. Or I guess aren't a blood gargling psychopath.

EDIT: SPEAKING OF...

Guardian AU posted:

Queensland’s minister for Indigenous partnerships has condemned the head of the state’s police union for peddling “false stereotypes” and “factually incorrect information” in an opinion piece about the state’s path to treaty.

Writing for the Courier-Mail on Wednesday, Queensland Police Union president, Ian Leavers, claimed, without evidence, that a state treaty would result in the justice system favouring First Nations people.

loving WATCH OUT TEAM, WE MIGHT END UP WITH SOME KIND OF TWO TIER JUSTICE SYSTEM WHERE SOME PEOPLE ARE PROTECTED BUT NOT BOUND AND OTHERS ARE BOUND AND NOT PROTECTED. WOULDN'T WANT THAT TO EXIST IN AUSTRALIA, CAN'T HAVE THAT HAPPENING HERE.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 25, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hooman posted:

Guardian AU posted:

head of the state’s police union

Well there's your problem

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Hope the progressive no voters are loving the progress that has been made since voting no

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

Hope the progressive no voters are loving the progress that has been made since voting no

I guess the political and media establishment of the country hasn't been reading their theory!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

I guess the political and media establishment of the country hasn't been reading their theory!

they should have received it by now! i sent it registered post!!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Blackface was seen as acceptable by a lot of other people, it was another time. There are photos from an Aunt and uncle of my wife in blackface from an Africa themed party they had after they had to cancel their long planned trip to Africa.

That time was 18 months ago. They didn't understand why so many of us were horrified.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My favourite local "Oops we accidentally did a costume racism" story was this:

quote:

A private school in Alice Springs has apologised after a student who dressed as Adolf Hitler for a Book Week event was named "best dressed".

The contest was held in front of a group of exchange students from a Jewish school in Melbourne, the ABC reports.

A teacher had granted the student permission to dress as the Nazi leader before arriving at school.

Students had been encouraged to dress up as a character from a book as part of the Book Week celebrations.

"We got them together and apologised and they were fantastic, absolutely fantastic, and accepting," St Philip's College principal Robert Herbert said.
"We also contacted the school to say look, this had happened, please understand."

Bialik College principal Jeremy Stowe-Lindner said he understood no malice was intended and the presence of pupils from his school was a coincidence.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/adolf-hitler-costume-wins-at-alice-springs-school-book-week-event/e4250c85-eea1-48b8-875a-7e4ed3637566

That was a lot longer ago though 2016, lol

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

One of Australia's worst kept secrets is now out.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/oct/26/bruce-lehrmann-rape-charge-toowoomba-liberal-2021

Autisanal Cheese fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 26, 2023

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The contest was held in front of a group of exchange students from a Jewish school in Melbourne, the ABC reports....Bialik College principal Jeremy Stowe-Lindner said he understood no malice was intended and the presence of pupils from his school was a coincidence.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Wow it just keeps happening

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

*shocked pikachu*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange