Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

3 A.M. Radio posted:

Did Punk ever work for Impact when it was TNA? Also, I hear it's going back to being called TNA next year.

Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Now that Edge and Christian Cage are both in AEW I wonder if Tony Khan can be convinced to bring Gangrel back for more than a couple token appearances to go peak stupid 90s and reunite The Brood.

They do owe him

https://www.thesportster.com/news/edges-wwe-brood-entrance-ruined-gangrel-aew-return/

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Now that Edge and Christian Cage are both in AEW I wonder if Tony Khan can be convinced to bring Gangrel back for more than a couple token appearances to go peak stupid 90s and reunite The Brood.

hopefully he let's him keep the modern version of his theme, because the VAMPIRE RAP he added over the brood theme is loving awful in the best way

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Tony Khan when is Kelsey Grammer coming on AEW for a Money Plane storyline

You have the money

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

3 A.M. Radio posted:

Did Punk ever work for Impact when it was TNA? Also, I hear it's going back to being called TNA next year.

Quite a bit, until TNA severed ties with ROH and he decided to stay with ROH. This was at time when he was feuding with Raven and TNA brilliantly thought "Hey, you know how Punk and Raven are literally trying to kill each other in every single Indy fed they meet? Let's make them stable partners here".

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

reminds me of how tna completely hosed up booking kazuchika okada so bad that I'm pretty sure he's still mad about it

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they gave him his own show where he could ban people he didnt like from attending lol

Made IK of his own thread, yet still melted down and autobanned? Tragic.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

AlmightyBob posted:

reminds me of how tna completely hosed up booking kazuchika okada so bad that I'm pretty sure he's still mad about it

Not just Okada himself, but all of New Japan. During that time they had Tanahashi too, after he'd already been IWGP champion, and the most use he got was a random tag team with Volador and some meaningless X-division multi-man matches.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

AlmightyBob posted:

The series of events that led from "let's take this New Japan rookie and give him a loving Kato gimmick" to "Bryan Danielson vs Okada at Forbidden Door 2023" would make for an amazing documentary one day.

Okada and the Bucks bond in TNA, Okada realizes he needs a character to get over with American audiences and creates The Rainmaker persona, Bucks get booked in NJPW off their friendship with Okada, eventually form the Elite, which eventually leads to AEW forming.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

AlmightyBob posted:

He is. Someone asked him about TNA earlier this year and he pretty much buried them lol

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Here's some early 2000s product placement that was randomly shown to me by ~the algorithm ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3x1g0W_9uc

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

my favorite one of those, and maybe I've mentioned this in here before I don't remember, is that in the mid 90s the wcw got Playstation sponsorships, they'd have ads at shows and stuff, and the wwf, who were at the time being completely destroyed in the ratings, were sponsored by the sega saturn

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I miss when they would do poo poo like "THE LUGZ BOOT OF THE WEEK" and show a clip of someone getting kicked in the face.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Here's some early 2000s product placement that was randomly shown to me by ~the algorithm ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3x1g0W_9uc

lmao jesus, FFX-2 and gushing about Benoit in the same video

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
Gotta love the glove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAVG7sljJSc

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
We got the Something Awful Wrestling PPV in progress:

https://twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

Bout to get to the title matches, and as always all goons are welcome to join (including Elephant Ambush)

Thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036635

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

A Fancy Hat posted:

The series of events that led from "let's take this New Japan rookie and give him a loving Kato gimmick" to "Bryan Danielson vs Okada at Forbidden Door 2023" would make for an amazing documentary one day.

Okada and the Bucks bond in TNA, Okada realizes he needs a character to get over with American audiences and creates The Rainmaker persona, Bucks get booked in NJPW off their friendship with Okada, eventually form the Elite, which eventually leads to AEW forming.

There's an old myth that Okada was sent to TNA to humble him and keep him in Japan

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Okuteru posted:

There's an old myth that Okada was sent to TNA to humble him and keep him in Japan

it worked

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So several weeks back, WWE did that thing where they overstuffed NXT to offset AEW being on Tuesday for one week. After losing the ratings, Tony Khan did not take it well and did some amazing coke-fueled tweets, including calling out Vince McMahon for being a rapist. It was equal parts cringe and awesome.

Sting announced that he was going to be retiring in a few months and having his final match at one of the AEW PPVs. It was announced that Tony Khan had a special gift for Sting and that turned out to be Ric Flair. Flair who came out and cut a promo with Sting. Which... ugh... fine, I guess. Then Flair suggested that he would be hanging out with Sting for the next several months until Sting's retirement. Not as fine.

Then it was announced that Flair had signed a multi-year contract with AEW. This has everyone wondering what the gently caress because Tony was supposed to be better than this, especially considering his Vince tweets.

But WWE can't keep the negative spotlight off themselves for too long. They did another one of their Saudi Arabia PPVs today. Logan Paul is the US Champion now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gavok posted:

So several weeks back, WWE did that thing where they overstuffed NXT to offset AEW being on Tuesday for one week. After losing the ratings, Tony Khan did not take it well and did some amazing coke-fueled tweets, including calling out Vince McMahon for being a rapist. It was equal parts cringe and awesome.

Sting announced that he was going to be retiring in a few months and having his final match at one of the AEW PPVs. It was announced that Tony Khan had a special gift for Sting and that turned out to be Ric Flair. Flair who came out and cut a promo with Sting. Which... ugh... fine, I guess. Then Flair suggested that he would be hanging out with Sting for the next several months until Sting's retirement. Not as fine.

Then it was announced that Flair had signed a multi-year contract with AEW. This has everyone wondering what the gently caress because Tony was supposed to be better than this, especially considering his Vince tweets.

But WWE can't keep the negative spotlight off themselves for too long. They did another one of their Saudi Arabia PPVs today. Logan Paul is the US Champion now.

Thanks for the update, I had heard that Flair was involved with AEW now in some way, but didn't check. This, is bad.

Like, what the gently caress.

How do you have Ric Flair on your program in 2023? How the gently caress does that happen?

WWE doing yet another blood money show is kinda banal by now, I can't even be assed to capitalize "blood money" anymore. But Ric Flair, on your show? loving hell.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Signing Ric Flair is insane and I don't mean that in a good way

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
singing ric flair

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Meat Wagon posted:

singing ric flair

He's singing "Blurred Lines."

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/1717624543462744478

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

He's singing "Blurred Lines."

WHoooooo.
ya know like a ghost

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Signing Ric Flair is insane and I don't mean that in a good way

what does he even add to the AEW roster, anyhow, besides heart-stopping new heights of financial liability? Even Jeff Jarrett's signing was a more explicable decision

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

SatansOnion posted:

besides heart-stopping new heights of financial liability?

Tony Khan's gotta get off on feeling something

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Gavok continues making this the best wrestling thread on the forums

doin a shameless plug but we're working on trying to increase activity in the Enclosed Pool Area:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=681

basically the idea is that we want people who have a passing interest in wrestling, or some basic enjoyment of wrestling to start posting here without worrying about knowing less than other people, or knowing all the background info on everyone, people who are fans of old wrestling but fell off and enjoy the nostalgic poo poo, and just enjoying things for what they are without pretense. It's also the home of Something Awful Wrestling, which has been a lot of fun for everyone involved.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Should've given a contract to the nature boy number 1 buddy rogers and not the crooked. yella. teeth. of ric flair

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

When Ric Flair made his AEW debut, and started getting worked up during his promo against Christian, that Taz felt compelled to say "Keep ya clothes on Ric"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Something about Ric's heart monitor watch going off during promos kind of ruins the whole thing.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

if you're mad about Ric Flair for his crimes you should want him to appear more often and try to do more things as he is increasingly decrepit and sad and also for him to sponsor more stupid things so you can laugh at it instead of getting super mad at AEW for giving him money

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

Something about Ric's heart monitor watch going off during promos kind of ruins the whole thing.

That's his alimony watch, just ignore it the same way he does.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
He probably thinks the only sort of glory he'll be able to retain now is dying on the job, what a pro, what a guy, can't say nuthin bad about him, no thanks I've got my own flight scheduled

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

im saint germain posted:

He probably thinks the only sort of glory he'll be able to retain now is dying on the job, what a pro, what a guy, can't say nuthin bad about him, no thanks I've got my own flight scheduled

That ship has sailed/flight has taken off about 11 years ago when he wrestled Foley on IPMACT

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

it owns how loving stupid you have to be to run a wrestling promotion

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
tony kahn is starting to believe...

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

spaceblancmange posted:

it owns how loving stupid you have to be to run a wrestling promotion

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ric flair is so in debt that if you are anywhere near his vicinity you cant get a bank loan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ric Flair couldn't go on the blood money show because Prince Chainsaw heard of the money Flair owed people and went Whoa dude stop right there!