Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Could be troubling enough if people who voted him in are actually cool with these particular issues.

It doesn't matter though? It's not relevant what issues individual citizens have on their personal wishlist; it matters whether they vote for representatives willing to pass those laws. Nobody's views align 100% with their party of choice, of course, but as long as the abortion issue is not enough of a priority for people to vote in pro-choice candidates, we won't have pro-choice laws.

Sadly opposition voter concerns of the past 8 years have been overwhelmingly strategic rather than substantial, all about "how can my vote most effectively topple PiS". Thus Poland's current weird phenomenon where a well-documented, major rise in center-left views in society has led to a rise in votes for center-right parties. Hopefully things will reshuffle a little when we once again see diverse parties actually negotiating and voting on substantial matters (remember when that was a thing?). TD's big gains were IMO a mix of tactical voting and the tried and true method of "act nice, dodge policy commitments, and let people project their own views onto you"... but they happened and for now they sadly have the mandate to push their platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Guildencrantz posted:

Sadly opposition voter concerns of the past 8 years have been overwhelmingly strategic rather than substantial, all about "how can my vote most effectively topple PiS".
Iii don't know. It was a big priority, but I feel it was stronger for parties rather than the voters - after alll, PO's slowly eroding support over the years was precisely due to people being frustrated at the useless fucks left behind by Tusk having utterly nothing to say other than screeching about PiS. For decades all of the myriad center-right parties consistently end up appeasing the right in hopes of snatching the mythical swing voters from PiS. It's a ruthless calculation of maybe getting some moderate conservatives while the center-left doesn't have anywhere else to go anyway. MeNdInG tHe RiFt.

The left isn't really an option for your regular voters (SLD was turbolibs and the sort of pensioners that ended up falling into PiS's arms, Razem is spooky pope-hating plankton screeching about the pronouns and wanting to take our money to give away to lazy bumbs) and given that Left is Lava assumption, your options are either PO or equally spineless flavor of the month "I swear it'll be different this time" PO clone: your Palikots, Petrus, Biedrońs and Hołownias. Right now we were at the tail end of Hołownia's five minutes of fame, but there's no-one mainstream pushing for a more center-left position steadfastly.

Biedroń sort of was in the best position to do that - even if it would largely end at throwing a bone to gay rights because that was his centrist feelgood gimmick - but even he has immediately crumbled in the run-up to last elections.

Alas, other than waiting for all of the solidaritypilled boomers to finally die out, the only way out is for the next flavor of the month centrist to try pulling a Mentzen and really bank on mobilizing discouraged non-voters.

To be clear, I agree as to Third Way voters honestly getting what they voted for, but I also believe that a big chunk of them doesn't really think about fine details beyond "what's the current not-PO?".

PS. If you really need some hopium, consider that perhaps Kosiniak-Kamysz is running his mouth before anything is signed to make a little show and cover his rear end before agreeing to more moderate proposals (civil unions instead of marriage, reverting previous abortion laws as they are). Civil unions are really what Tusk promised (once again, lol) so by bitching about gay marriage that wasn't ever really on the table they could have their cake and eat it too, doing the cool progressive thing while also steadfastly defending against the spooky gay menace.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Over 81% turn out in cities over 250,000 people. Warsaw had an almost 85% turnout.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Yeah, gay marriage is definitely out of the question and I don't think anyone was seriously expecting otherwise. I'm also not holding my breath for civil partnerships but I don't think it's outright impossible.

And yeah, it *is* silly to make it a distinct category (and it's silly that it matters so much for some people that it be a distinct category), but on the other hand, most other countries had to pass through this transitory stage, so it's not hugely surprising for Poland to follow a similar trajectory.

And from my selfish point of view, having my relationship legally recognized in *some* way sooner rather than later is still preferable to holding out until it can be officially called marriage (and I think marriage equality is more or less inevitable once civil partnerships become a thing).

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Lichtenstein posted:

Alas, other than waiting for all of the solidaritypilled boomers to finally die out, the only way out is for the next flavor of the month centrist to try pulling a Mentzen and really bank on mobilizing discouraged non-voters.

We've just had 73% turnout in parliamentary elections. I don't think there's any more discouraged non-voters to mobilise at this point, not in any significant numbers, anyway. People who did not vote this year are people who have no capacity to vote for whatever reason, no interest in politics, or no willingness to compromise on radical positions.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tevery Best posted:

We've just had 73% turnout in parliamentary elections. I don't think there's any more discouraged non-voters to mobilise at this point, not in any significant numbers, anyway. People who did not vote this year are people who have no capacity to vote for whatever reason, no interest in politics, or no willingness to compromise on radical positions.

But that turnout is the discouraged voters. It's those very people who sat back and didn't vote through Schetyna's bullshit. PiS did a great job antagonizing everyone, leading to 10+% election-to-election rise in turnout, but that's not going to last forever. As the numbers inevitably go down eventually (you can only go so far on PiS panic, Tusk-less PO has proven time and time again) here's hoping that the next PO clone will figure out those same people could very well return instead of banking on the LaBiLnY eLeKtOrAt bullshit time and time again.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

armpit_enjoyer posted:

But did the doggo get adopted :ohdear:

I've checked, he used photos of four different dogs, all of them got adopted.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Tbf I'm in a deep liberal city and my social circles are mostly millennial intelligentsia types, which is, demographically, the core electorate for the Left. My experience has been been watching folks around me continuously slide left for the past decade, now complaining a lot how KO is too conservative and boomer-y and needs to get with the times on abortion, secularism, and LGBT rights, ditch the free-market fundamentalism and the Giertych types, and so on... and then most of them just keep voting KO out of a mix of habit and anti-PiS "tactical" voting.

This is probably not reflective of the general population outside my bubble. Still, maybe you're right and there is just some kind of unspoken deep taboo about voting for something identifiable with the bad L word, even among people who don't subscribe to the usual Polish phobias.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Concerning.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Don't threaten us with good time!

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Yes please.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
German chancellor? How many Panzer divisions does he have? :smug:

https://www.euronews.com/2023/09/06/poland-said-its-army-will-soon-be-the-strongest-in-europe-but-is-that-possible

quote:

If Deputy Prime Minister Jarosław Kaczyński gets his way, military spending in Poland could be increased to 5% of the country’s GDP in the next decade, as he has suggested.

Poland has also announced a major purchase of modern equipment and a massive recruitment operation that will likely take place in the coming years.

The country wants to recruit about 150,000 troops in the next decade, which will bring its army from the current 128,000 active personnel and 36,000 territorial defence troops to 300,000 soldiers by 2035. With the new troops, the country will create six armoured divisions - whereas France and Germany only have two, and the UK has one alone.

It has also purchased over a thousand new tanks and 600 artillery pieces, mainly from South Korea and the US. These will bring the country’s firepower to be more than that of the UK, France, Germany, and Italy combined.

so basically the future looks very

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I for one, welcome our new Polish overlords. EU was dumb anyways.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I like that the map is basically Settling_Old_Grudges.jpg

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

I like that the map is basically Settling_Old_Grudges.jpg

It's strangely not including Sweden as part of Poland but has Finland, when the claim to Finland comes from the period when Sigismund, the son of Swedish King John III and his Polish wife, had been elected the king of the commonwealth and then his uncle Charles said that nah we're keeping the Swedish crown in Swedish protestant hands and a big war kicked off during which the leading nobleman in Finland Klaus Fleming sided with Sigismund and the rebelling peasants sided with Charles and Fleming slaughtered the peasants but then Charles defeated Fleming. But for a moment Sigismund took Stockholm and this means that Sweden (and all lands that ever were part of Sweden, like Norway and some parts of America) are natural parts of PLC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_against_Sigismund

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
when are they gonna install a new false dmitry

the tsar pushka has been idle for too long

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
IF you lay claim to Finland, it's strange that you would be willing to let Russia retain the parts of Finland it took.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
All those past grievances getting resolved, and yet no PLC Konstantynopol/Constantinople? Did the Battle of Vienna mean nothing???

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

burnishedfume posted:

All those past grievances getting resolved, and yet no PLC Konstantynopol/Constantinople? Did the Battle of Vienna mean nothing???
They might as well include the PLC Mongolian territories too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Had a doctor (Australian in the states) today that wanted to make political small talk ask about Poland’s problem with Russia when we’ve historically had plenty of adversaries, like the mongols, yet don’t hold a grudge against them. Also brought up the Maidan “coup”, and German tankers in Ukraine that no one’s talking about. I think it was Epoch Times assisted brain rot.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Torrannor posted:

IF you lay claim to Finland, it's strange that you would be willing to let Russia retain the parts of Finland it took.

But only north of Ladoga, for reasons.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nenonen posted:

But for a moment Sigismund took Stockholm and this means that Sweden (and all lands that ever were part of Sweden, like Norway and some parts of America) are natural parts of PLC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_against_Sigismund
You will take Minnesota over our dead, lutefisk-ridden bodies!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Oracle posted:

You will take Minnesota over our dead, lutefisk-ridden bodies!

I think the offer was to move all Finns who could escape to Alaska should USSR manage to fully occupy and annex the country. Offering Minnesota instead is just unnecessary cruelty.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

New Sweden was around Delaware actually. There was also a Caribbean colony in St. Barhelemy that Swedes wanted because you weren't one of the cool kids in Europe if you didn't have some slaves in hellish conditions.

(:dong::geert: :flaccid::sweden:)

Btw. Alaska should also be Polish because the chief of Russian American Company in Alaska was Finnish until it was sold. From sea to shining sea...

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nenonen posted:

Btw. Alaska should also be Polish because the chief of Russian American Company in Alaska was Finnish until it was sold. From sea to shining sea...
The sun never sets on the PLC.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://x.com/simonmontefiore/status/1717209843637866575?s=20

I could make the effort to get past they paywall, but I feel like I don't need to.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
This entire case was an absolute shitshow, bunch of priests basically raped a sexworker (who never agreed to group sex), and when said sexworker passed out, one of priests called ambulance, but rest of them did not allowed medics inside rectory. Medics had to call the police.

And said bishop made an official nonapology in which he literally stated "I'm sorry if anyone is offended".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
"Warto przeczytać, jaka jest definicja orgii"

O M G

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Maybe they think it’s like a Roman orgy from Asterix, where everyone is having way too much fondue?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Maybe they were doing sexorcism on a possessed worker?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So, for those not in the know: PKN Orlen is Poland's state-owned petrochemical company that PiS has made the personal fief of their loyal lackey Daniel Obajtek. Obajtek used it to employ family members for obscene amounts of money and almost certainly to embezzle even more to who-knows-where. The government then merged Lotos, the other state-owned petrochemical corporation which owned assets in the PO bastion Pomerania, into Orlen, but the European Commission would not approve of the merger unless Lotos divested most of its retail stations and plenty of other assets. This included selling off a 30% share in the Gdańsk Petrochemical Plant, the second-largest in the country, to Aramco. But it was all worth it, you see, because now the Obajtek clan had a lot more taxpayer-funded jobs to hand out, and any negative consequences would be felt mostly in Pomerania. Following that success, the state-owned gas company PGNiG was also merged with Orlen.

Naturally, Obajtek, knowing which way his bread is buttered, ordered Orlen to start mass buying local media outlets under the label Polska Press. These immediately got put to work on pulling the PiS party line with complete disregard for fact or reason. But if that wasn't enough, Obajtek also ordered all Orlen stations and wholesale centres to dramatically lower fuel prices for the electoral campaign despite rising oil prices, undercutting everyone else by insane margins. This lead to giant lines at Orlen stations and shortages of fuel, supposedly to the point where the military fuel reserve was released to Orlen stations, but we cannot know, because the company officially denied any shortages, with its workers reportedly being instructed to label pumps that ran out of fuel as broken rather than empty.

And now reports are coming in that just that fuel price farce has cost Orlen 3-4 billion PLN (so ca. EUR 700-900 mln).

https://businessinsider.com.pl/biznes/orlen-stracil-miliardy-na-obnizce-cen-paliw-wkrotce-wszystko-stanie-sie-jasne/1jw6e2y

Boy I sure hope there's a paper trail because if that's not a campaign finance violation I don't know what is

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Best part is, it didn't even work :shrug:

Super curious to see what happens to Polska Presse. Local media is important, but it might have been spoiled like TVP.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Probably the new management will be kindly asked to divest the hobby projects.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

First Sejm session coming up soon, and Duda has a decision to make about who the presiding Marshal will be. Options include Ryszard Terlecki, Antoni Macierewicz and Kaczynski. Whichever one wins, it’ll be a shitshow.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I was under the impression that Duda would be heavily inclined to choose Kaczynski and could do so because formally that's the legal choice: first offer the largest party the chance to form a government, regardless of the situation otherwise.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Oh the Marshal thing is a one time nomination for the first Sejm session. It has no bearing on the ongoing negotiations.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Ah, I see--I misread there. Thanks.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Xotl posted:

I was under the impression that Duda would be heavily inclined to choose Kaczynski and could do so because formally that's the legal choice: first offer the largest party the chance to form a government, regardless of the situation otherwise.

This is incorrect. There are no restrictions on whom the president may designate as Prime Minister, only a set of deadlines to do so. Under Article 154 of the Constitution, the president must nominate a Prime Minister within 14 days of the first session of the Sejm, and that Prime Minister must, within 14 days, name their cabinet and secure a vote of confidence from the Sejm. (I'm actually dumb and don't know if he can try again at this point - the constitution says he may do so within 14 days of the dismissal of the previous cabinet, but I'm not sure if failing to secure a vote of confidence counts as a dismissal in these terms. I think it does? Not sure.) If this fails, within 14 days, the Sejm nominates its own candidate by majority vote with a 50% quorum. If that fails as well, under Article 155 the President gets a second chance under similar deadlines as before, and if that fails as well, a new election is held.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 30, 2023

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I could have phrased that better: I said "formally", but then muddled it with "legal". Essentially what I meant was that, as I understand it, precedent / tradition has had it that the largest party is given the first opportunity. I understand though that this is not enshrined in law, which is why the whole question of what exactly will wind up happening is up in the air in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Nah, I think at least one prime minister was designated (and voted in) from the not-majority party (Pawlak in 93). They went with a coalition with the leading party though anyway.