Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
In this case it also seems pretty dependent on hardware combinations so a small studio might not catch all the variations that perform particularly poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's no point in optimizing performance before it's feature complete because your new features could mess with the performance. So optimization is generally the last thing done on any game. There are also only so many systems it can be tested on--console testing is easy since every PS5 is the same hardware, but PCs vary widely and you're always going to end up with hardware combinations that poo poo themselves for reasons you couldn't have known about because you can't test everything. They likely found a lot of stuff by having so many people on the beta. Games also often get video drivers tailored to them as well which can affect a lot. Baldur's Gate 3 ran like rear end in Act 3 for me until I got the BG3 drivers from nVidia, and it was like a 500% FPS boost from that.

I'm not a programmer so I don't know what is involved with performance optimization, but I am quite sure it's more than "flip a few switches".

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jewmanji posted:

I was being a bit reductive, but I just meant that if there’s some toggles already built into the options that seem to ameliorate things quite a bit, it just seems slightly weird to me. Like I said, game development may as well be rocket science to me.

CO made the simulation aspect of the game but not the entire engine and the one that they're using is unity. all or almost all of the code that CO is using to render the game is probably just straight out of the engine. it's also designed to support a billion different kinds of games so those options players can use to turn down/off features and improve performance are probably just intrinsically present.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Also, like with the CS:1 example mentioned above, sometimes simple things can just slip by attention. If you know perf is gonna be a significant problem because your expected "standard user" just put together a $1,500 computer in 2028, and you're crunching night and day trying to figure out close-enough facsimiles of really complex logic to hold things together until then, you might write the chugging off as expected and never look back and realize that "draw gif on sign" is loading 1,000 copies of the same gif when you have 1,000 signs in view.

As an anecdote, FF14 was a significantly bigger AAA project likewise aimed at future computers and still being visually competitive years later, it likewise performed like a dog at launch, and eventually it turned out that (among many, many other issues) every barrel or bottle or potted plant or mug was as detailed as a player character. Walk into a cozy bar or down a landscaped boulevard, and yikes, it was like the entire server population was logged in standing there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

There's no point in optimizing performance before it's feature complete because your new features could mess with the performance.

This is how you end up with unrecoverable performance issues late in development. You build for optimization from day one. That doesn’t mean you don’t do passes once you’re feature complete, though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's the Star Citizen development methodology and you don't want to do that lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Like I said, not a programmer. Just what I gathered from people who are.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Optimization can mean a lot of different things but generally you want to get your infrastructure sound and yeah maybe you can push off handling all the corner cases towards the end of development.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like a city building thread should understand the issue with "we'll solve the performance problems at the end" as an approach.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
And then there was the below rumor.

I recall some C:S1 stock assets having very stupid main or LOD tri counts and/or inane texture sizes. I can see AI-generated stuff being thrown in the pipeline during crunch time, being forgotten about until passing the release candidate on to middling publisher QA where it's not picked up on either, until finally some potato-wielding YT stars are looped in during the final weeks before release, whereupon everything comes to a screeching halt.

These kinds of things fall through the cracks if you're not very process-driven I guess. Disclaimer: I created a handful of decently optimized buildings myself, but those took dozens of hours each to create, which I'd scold devs for myself these days.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Game requires 12 GB of VRAM to render thousands of lovingly detailed citizen scrotums.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
The teeth thing would only be a problem if there weren't different level of detail models for the cims. The model you see at 2 inches away from the camera shouldn't be the exact same model you see from a mile away. I've definitely seen devs gently caress that up though. DCS had an issue earlier this year where they added some WW2 planes, but never set up the level of detail stuff correctly, so half the triangles it would be rendering at any time were on an inactive old prop plane halfway across the map.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 23, 2023

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Hence people complaining a lot when moving the camera towards ground level and suddenly hitting really bad stutters. Which is not necessarily a deliberate thing but might be induced by people fighting unfamiliar camera controls/zoom to mouse.

Also I'm not sure where C:S2 comes, in but 1 only had the main mesh and then a single LOD one which you'd better optimize to the hilt for often-used assets. Depending on the LOD distance default for a particular asset class/size you might run into trouble real quick before a proper QA pass.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

From what I've gathered here's the tech advice everyone should do right away:

A) Turn off VSync.
B) Turn off dynamic resolution. Having it on does give you a few more FPS but it makes the game look like fried rear end and isn't worth it.
C) Turn LOD to low.
D) Turn volumetrics low or off.
E) Turn off fog, which just makes everything look muddy anyway.
F) Turn off depth of field.

Play with it from there.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 24, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

I don’t know one single thing about game development- how is it that the game had a seemingly unknown performance issue (unknown to the devs that is) this close to the release, and further, how is it possible that the solution was just to flip a few switches?

From the way things have progressed I think the most likely scenario is that they were just working to a hard deadline, crunching, the final optimisation passes and settings analyses were the last things on the development timeline, and they just... didn't make it.

Because performance isn't explicitly gamebreaking on PC (it is on console because MS and Sony require a certain reliable FPS rate) the publisher higher ups wouldn't let them delay PC release to finish it and then this happens.

Tale as old as time.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 24, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Grand Fromage posted:

B) Turn off dynamic resolution. Having it on does give you a few more FPS but it makes the game look like fried rear end and isn't worth it.

I sincerely hope DLSS and FSR 2 support is in the works.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm going to pick it up and if it runs like a dog, just get Steam to refund it. I think it's likely to be borderline and I'm gonna need that experience of how bad it chugs vs how dogshit lower settings look.

It sounds like turning Dynamic Resolution off might fix a lot of the grossness of lower settings.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I should be just over the recommended specs for everything but GPU(3070 not 3080) so I'm not worried, but I'll probably crank quality down because I'm not that worried about the game looking photorealistic

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeC posted:

It is, but they have to apparently redo assets and how they're rendered because the game doesn't support TAA.

Bedurndurn posted:

The teeth thing would only be a problem if there weren't different level of detail models for the cims. The model you see at 2 inches away from the camera shouldn't be the exact same model you see from a mile away. I've definitely seen devs gently caress that up though. DCS had an issue earlier this year where they added some WW2 planes, but never set up the level of detail stuff correctly, so half the triangles it would be rendering at any time were on an inactive old prop plane halfway across the map.

in a game where there are no facial animations and every character's mouth is closed i think that there really is zero reason for there to be teeth, especially when there are potentially hundreds or thousands of characters on screen at once

i also doubt that they have LODs, they got a bunch of models generated by some tool and then just stuffed them into the game.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 24, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I got a new rig this summer and from what CPP says I'm plenty beefy enough to power through performance issues. :smug:

But also the news from streamers over the last week or so suggests that CO have at least a decent overview of the source(s) of performance problems and have been pushing out daily patches (even more often one time, I think?) that have already started shaping things up. Assuming they do indeed spend some time working on optimization after release I can't imagine it's going to hurt the game's long-term prospects, especially not when it's really the only major city builder out there. Sucks for them that they'll forever be mid-70s on Metacritic but hey ho, is that really going to matter in six or eight years when we've had a bunch of DLCs and if the game is sitting at like 90% positive on Steam?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Is this game good or bad?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grand Fromage posted:

From what I've gathered here's the tech advice everyone should do right away:

A) Turn off VSync.
C) Turn LOD to low.
D) Turn volumetrics low or off.
E) Turn off fog, which just makes everything look muddy anyway.

Play with it from there.

Depth of field too

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tarnop posted:

Depth of field too

I knew there was one I missed but couldn't think of it. Thanks.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Omnicarus posted:

Is this game good or bad?

Looks good if you have a beefy rig and want more of a city "sim" rather than a city painter.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
I can't even fathom why they would even bother modeling the teeth of Sims in the game. They're tiny little ants. Why are they even opening their mouths

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The cim models are generated by a third party procedural human generation library they licensed.

It does say it'll generate multiple appropriate tiers of detail and culled models but it feels like they maybe let the highest detail level be too high.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 24, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They also should've turned the "weird and creepy" slider down on the kids.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think a lot of the creepy is also that the library's outputs probably weren't designed to be rendered in as flat and simple lighting conditions and rendering parameters that individual cims have in skylines.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I wonder if going for something low-poly and non-realistic would have worked better...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They look better than the absolute freaks in Cities XL at least.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Looks like this game runs poorly from the reviews? I can wait for a bit I guess

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

OddObserver posted:

I wonder if going for something low-poly and non-realistic would have worked better...

I think we already know the answer to that

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I mean something low-poly would've absolutely worked better, but did they have the tooling and/or manpower to do that?

MikeJF posted:

The cim models are generated by a third party procedural human generation library they licensed.

It does say it'll generate multiple appropriate tiers of detail and culled models but it feels like they maybe let the highest detail level be too high.
This screams "we put our budget somewhere that wasn't making bespoke human models". Which is the right call, but it had a knock-on effect they probably didn't anticipate.
The detail level setting is probably for LODs, they probably look like dogshit if you look at them from closer.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

MikeC posted:

Oh. Skimming over this thread, DLSS was mentioned quite a few times. Thought it did support it already. Because I’d like to play in 4K without halving my frame rate.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh. Skimming over this thread, DLSS was mentioned quite a few times. Thought it did support it already. Because I’d like to play in 4K without halving my frame rate.

The preview version that was send out only supports AMD FSR1. There is however at least one of the files required for DLSS in the game folder. There's just no option to use it. My guess is that it's currently still in development and release day just came to early.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This is turning into a perfect case study on 'for gently caress's sake just let them delay the game another month or two'.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

MikeJF posted:

This is turning into a perfect case study on 'for gently caress's sake just let them delay the game another month or two'.

No. I want to play CS2 now.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There's "optimisation" and "optimisation". When people say not to prematurely optimise, they mean don't spend a lot of time manually unrolling every loop to eke out a few cycles in a region of code that rarely gets executed. You still need to build an architecture that doesn't do something inherently inefficient, because you may never be able to rebuild your foundations.

CS2 seems to be in the camp of wildly inefficient use to assets, which is baffling. Having a poly/texture/draw call budget has been with us basically forever. Like, OG Doom spends quite a lot of work to cull stuff, including how the levels are designed.

At least it should be fixable by fixing the assets, an inherently doable task. If it were an architectural issue it may be nontrivial.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm looking forward to finding out why the frame rate keeps dropping as you go from 0 to 25,000 population and then basically stays the same after that. Remembering the reaction when people found out about all the simulation fakery in SC2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I doubt that's simulator fakery, the performance issues aren't CPU. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a render cap though.