Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Remember the...screen door effect on the base model 3?

What does this mean? Searches aren't doing me much good. I have only ever read screen door effect in regards to VR HMDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CLAM DOWN posted:

the 8 Pro screen is so good. i'm so glad it lost the curved edges.

Yeah, the 8 isn't much different than my old 6, but this change made it worth it. The matte back is also really nice, and not nearly as slick.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I must be crazy because I actually really like the curved screen on my P7P. Makes using gestures a lot nicer with a case on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

XIII posted:

I must be crazy because I actually really like the curved screen on my P7P. Makes using gestures a lot nicer with a case on.

as a pixel warrior i cannot deny your pleasure but the flat screen is so so much better

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

the 8 Pro screen is so good. i'm so glad it lost the curved edges.

I really like the feel.

Not curved! For your pleasure!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

@It was a Google OEM replacement screen and they said after multiple escalated support tickets that it can't possibly be due to the screen lifting because of adhesive not setting properly or the repair being done wrong by some guy at uBreakIFix. "OK Google, search for phone cases, screen protectors, and Stockholm Syndrome."

I was really tempted by a flip phone the other day.
I ended up getting the Whitestone Dome Glass, Spigen Liquid Air case, and the extended warranty through Fi. I have the phone wrapped in bubble wrap and Saran Wrap until they get here.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Bloodplay it again posted:

What does this mean? Searches aren't doing me much good. I have only ever read screen door effect in regards to VR HMDs.

When the brightness was turned down to its lowest on the Pixel 3, lots of the panels had a dirty screen door effect that made the screen look brown with variable brightness across the display. Reading in a dark room was a pretty unpleasant experience.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-display-analysis-a-real-tangible-improvement-yet-still-behind-the-curve/

That article references it. They were using LG panels at the time. Are the Pixel 8 screens proprietary Google displays or licensed from others?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 20, 2023

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I decided to get a Pixel 7 Pro and install GrapheneOS. I'm currently at 72% battery with my typical use. I unplugged it at 6am yesterday and it's now 10:37 am. If it goes on like this I have about 2 days and 10 hours left lmao.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My tablet started seeing an upgrade to Android 13, but the OTA upgrade keeps failing. No detailed error message besides "OTA upgrade failed", it spends around half an hour optimizing applications before giving up.
I know that doing a factory reset has a nonzero chance of fixing this kind of issue. But, is there a less invasive thing I can try first?
It is a Lenovo P11(gen2).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don't have an answer to that, but it did prompt me to check if 13 was also pushed to the P12 I have lying around and it has. It's about time, but it's the last time I buy a lenovo android anything (they went to beta with 13 in the summer of 2022.)

Unrelated, I'm having a hard time getting a read on the cameras for the OnePlus open. The main sensor should be a stunner, it's supposed to be able to capture double the light of the IMX890 sensor in the OnePlus 11. It's only slightly smaller than the GN1/V sensor in the Pixel 6-8.

However, the usual suspects have basically only said that the camera is "fine, good for a foldable". Some have said that the Pixel Fold still does better which it really shouldn't based on the hardware. If anything, it should be rivaling the Pixel 8/Pro and S23 Ultra with that stacked sensor design.

Other reviewers though, seem to have really high praise for the camera. GSM Arena for one was positive all around and said it could hang with the flagships. Also, OnePlus completely astroturfed youtube by giving photographer influencers the phone to hype up the camera capabilities.

I'm wondering if we may be in another Xperia situation here. It's really good hardware that can turn out stunning results if the shot was taken properly, but the automatic tuning isn't quite up to Google/Samsung/Apple levels. One thing is for sure, Google better be planning on using a Sony LYTIA sensor or similar stacked Samsung sensor in the Fold 2. If Google wants to stay on top for photography chops, they need to use sensors in their foldables that help overcome the smaller size with more advanced technology.

I think the Pixel Fold is similar to the Pixel Watch 1 in that it was in development for SO long that the hardware target got a bit behind by the time it launched. The Pixel Watch was in development before Google acquired FitBit while the Watch 2 was developed with FitBit IP and it shows. We know the Pixel Fold was in development hell forever and was scrapped and restarted at some point. Now that they have some of the engineering bits down like the hinge, I'm hopeful they can iterate on the design and include some better parts along the way.

All that said, I've been using the P8P for a week and I miss the squat form factor of the Pixel Fold. The P8P display is a stunner and it does seem to be more effecient on battery (along with smoothing over a few other weird rough edges like better bluetooth connectivity), but I'm going to switch away from the P8P probably in the later half of November. The OnePlus Open throws a bit of a wildcard into all of this. I intended to go back to the Pixel Fold, but maybe I'll go to the Open for a bit as my primary.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
My pixel 8 wifi woes appear to have been completely solved by forgetting and reconnecting to my home wifi lol, very happy about it though

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

sourdough posted:

My pixel 8 wifi woes appear to have been completely solved by forgetting and reconnecting to my home wifi lol, very happy about it though

Going to have to try this - because right now its absolute garbage. Pixel 6 Pro pulls down 300 Mb/s or more and gets there fast. Pixel 8 Pro hangs out in the kb/s range for a while before finally making it to 1mb/s. Nothing loads, everything is slow. 5G is solid, its just something going on with wi-fi. Reddit complains, seems like mesh may be worse and that is what I am working with here (older deco units).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ragaduffin posted:

Going to have to try this - because right now its absolute garbage. Pixel 6 Pro pulls down 300 Mb/s or more and gets there fast. Pixel 8 Pro hangs out in the kb/s range for a while before finally making it to 1mb/s. Nothing loads, everything is slow. 5G is solid, its just something going on with wi-fi. Reddit complains, seems like mesh may be worse and that is what I am working with here (older deco units).

Mine was doing something weird where it'd be fine and have full bars, good speed, etc, then just not load anything for a bit despite still having full bars. Flipping wifi off and back on would fix it perfectly for another short amount of time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Review I was waiting for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9VDA4SSOsM

I agree 100% that wireless charging omission is glaring this time around on a device this expensive. I think it's worse on this device since it takes 40 minutes to get to a full charge (80% after 30 minutes.) It's fast, but it's not 25 minutes to full fast. It's barely a half hour faster than an S23U will go from zero to full and that has a larger battery and staying power. I'm assuming it's also pulling the standard PD shenanigans of OnePlus and not supporting past 18w on anything other than a SuperVOOC charger.

That's another thing too that I don't see any reviews calling OnePlus on, the marketing of their charging.

This is 67w charging a 4800mAh battery.

The OnePlus 9 Pro was 65w charging a 4500 mAh battery.

The OnePlus Open is 0-100% in 40 minutes while the OnePlus 9 Pro was 29 minutes. Slightly smaller battery but also slightly lower watt rating, yet the Open takes 30% longer to get there.

That right there tells you everything you need to know about published charging wattages. It's easy to see why this is too. OnePlus needs dual batteries in order to get these fast charge rates. Well foldables naturally have dual batteries, but they can't be the same size. That imbalance is what's adding the extra charge time since one battery will hit full sooner and the remaining capacity that would otherwise have been balanced to that battery is tacked on to the larger battery. So, that remaining bit charges half as fast as it would in one of the normal slab phones.

Still though, positive review and I think this is going to be a significant device in the long run.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Don't have an answer to that, but it did prompt me to check if 13 was also pushed to the P12 I have lying around and it has. It's about time, but it's the last time I buy a lenovo android anything (they went to beta with 13 in the summer of 2022.)

Motorola support has been such absolute utter poo poo since Lenovo acquired them that it has soured me on Lenovo across the board. I want to get a gaming laptop in the relatively near future, and know some Lenovos are well-regarded, but I just can't trust them as a company because of how astonishingly terrible they made Motorola.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Anybody here have problems with the sensitivity of the lower part of their P8P Display?

For example when I'm opening a messaging app (doesn't matter which one) and I'm tapping the text input field to bring up the keyboard it's taking several tries like the taps don't register. Same with the Amazon app when trying to tap the icons on the bottom of the app.

I've checked if the digitizer is faulty within the developer options and it's working just fine. All taps register very clearly.

Am I just fat-fingering too much or does anybody else have the same experience?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Just got a pixel 7. For some reason I'm having a bitch of a time with some of the gestures and typing. Letters/buttons near the edge of my screen protector are really hard to push, and I find myself frustratedly swiping up or right to try to get out of apps or comment trees in FB/Insta. It's driving me crazy, any tips to correct this? Thanks in advance.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Motorola support has been such absolute utter poo poo since Lenovo acquired them that it has soured me on Lenovo across the board. I want to get a gaming laptop in the relatively near future, and know some Lenovos are well-regarded, but I just can't trust them as a company because of how astonishingly terrible they made Motorola.

Motorola was already terrible before Lenovo. They had a grand total of one timely update in the Google days and coasted on the undeserved rep they got from it for years. But their support was always terrible. It's never been good.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

moto maker was cool, someone other than motorola should do that again

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

repiv posted:

moto maker was cool, someone other than motorola should do that again

I still wish they'd make more wood-backed phones. Those moto X wood backs looked and felt great.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Mister Speaker posted:

Just got a pixel 7. For some reason I'm having a bitch of a time with some of the gestures and typing. Letters/buttons near the edge of my screen protector are really hard to push, and I find myself frustratedly swiping up or right to try to get out of apps or comment trees in FB/Insta. It's driving me crazy, any tips to correct this? Thanks in advance.

Try Settings -> Display -> Screen Protector Mode?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Try Settings -> Display -> Screen Protector Mode?

Oh, you are a gem. Thank you.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Another post in praise of battery life for the Pixel 8:

That's 24 hours literally to the minute since being taken off the mains with a full charge. Such a difference from the Pixel 7.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Pixel 8 pro battery is better than 7 pro, I'm only down to 82% from 12 hours of light sporadic use with always on display on.

Camera zoom seems better.

I thought it was supposed to get darker, but I think that only applies to active display.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

noticing that the default white balance is way too blue when taking point and shoot photos in my apartment. watching a black and white movie trying to snag a photo for the "guess the movie by the screenshot" thread and it turns the image extremely blue.

here's a comparison of the original shot with the edited and cropped version. the "blue tint" slider all the way to 0 plus a few white/black balance adjustments gets it closer to how it actually looks to my eyeballs. also the custom crop feature is absolutely brilliant for this use case specifically.

pixel 7 btw

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 23, 2023

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That's just an old TV problem, the back light puts out more and more blue as the LED degrades

Your phone camera is just more sensitive to it than your eyes

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Skarsnik posted:

That's just an old TV problem, the back light puts out more and more blue as the LED degrades

Your phone camera is just more sensitive to it than your eyes

interesting! appreciate the info

altho i feel a little weary at considering my tv "old" i only got it 3 years ago. however it is on a hell of a lot i guess.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Has anyone had any issues with Android 14 in closing and reopening apps? I would say about 50% of the time it seems to fail to open/draw the app then i have to force close it. This happens with almost every application but most notably it happens with discord and slack.

Pixel 6/Android 14

Photex fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 23, 2023

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Photex posted:

Has anyone had any issues with Android 14 in closing and reopening apps? I would say about 50% of the time it seems to fail to open/draw the app then i have to force close it. This happens with almost every application but most notably it happens with discord and slack.

Pixel 6/Android 14

I had problems like that on 13 all the time along with spontaneous reboots on my 6a. It's what made me eventually go "gently caress it" and install Lineage and then Graphene on there for the OS because it stayed unstable like that for months. Hasn't happened since on non-official Google Android builds.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
My p8p doesn't have the resolution settings in the display settings. Can't even mentally set in developer options, so I'm lousy at to why. I'm on the latest update, brand new phone, the option just does not exist on my phone, when just doing a search for the term brings up nothing. What (probably simple and obvious thing) am I missing here?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 24, 2023

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I see it under Settings > Display. It's towards the bottom, right above the Smooth Display toggle.

No special modes needed. Did you get into some weird safe mode type of thing?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

do the 8 and the 8 Pro both have the same material on the back?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No.

Pro is frosted Victus 2. Non-pro is glossy Victus 1.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

qualcomm confirmed that the SD8gen3 is being made on TSMC N4P, the rumors couldn't decide if it was that or samsung

shame samsung is apparently giving us the exynos treatment with the S24 series

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

FYI, when GrapheneOS (the Android community version that sandboxes Google Play Services among other hardening things) came up a few days ago I dinged it for having the hilariously long "Optimizing Apps" screen in the middle of updates back from Android a half-decade+ ago. Today they pushed an update that while it didn't eliminate it, cut it down to under a minute, radically sped up the install before the reboot, and delayed a lot of it to a post-install background task like on mainline Android. *thumbs up*

(It was apparently all an issue caused by the mess of updating to Android 14.)

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

gourdcaptain posted:

FYI, when GrapheneOS (the Android community version that sandboxes Google Play Services among other hardening things) came up a few days ago I dinged it for having the hilariously long "Optimizing Apps" screen in the middle of updates back from Android a half-decade+ ago. Today they pushed an update that while it didn't eliminate it, cut it down to under a minute, radically sped up the install before the reboot, and delayed a lot of it to a post-install background task like on mainline Android. *thumbs up*

(It was apparently all an issue caused by the mess of updating to Android 14.)

It was still pretty long before 14 too, but yeah 14 made it hilariously slow. Glad they took care of it. Also glad to see constant attention brought to things like this, rather than the lengthy and whiny diatribes of their lead dev.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apparently the Pixel 8 Pro display uses only 47% of the power as the Pixel 7 Pro display at the P7P's peak brightness.

It's also apparently ahead of both Samsung and Apple

https://twitter.com/dylan_raga/status/1716872271875485770?s=20.

If you look at the graph, even at max brightness, the Pixel 8 Pro, uses less power than the P7P.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 25, 2023

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I received a 20% off coupon for the pixel 8/pro in my email this morning. Worth pulling the trigger now, or is the consensus that black friday deals will still be better? I'm thinking black friday, because this coupon code expires mid November.

I didn't pull the trigger on release because I've already got a watch and earbuds, but I didn't realize that the trade in value of my pixel 3XL was so high then ($200) compared to now ($25).

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bull3964 posted:

Apparently the Pixel 8 Pro display uses only 47% of the power as the Pixel 7 Pro display at the P7P's peak brightness.

It's also apparently ahead of both Samsung and Apple

https://twitter.com/dylan_raga/status/1716872271875485770?s=20.

If you look at the graph, even at max brightness, the Pixel 8 Pro, uses less power than the P7P.

That's pretty impressive. I assume there's some materials science improvement or whatever behind this but it really feels like they completed a node on their tech tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
They're saying all of the Pixel 8 Pros AI wizardry is actually done on the cloud. If so, the chances of them coming to Google One subscribers just went up quite a bit.