Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

britishbornandbread posted:

Jon Arne Riise’s wage slip getting leaked onto the internet.

i worked with someone who had jozy's payslip mailed to him the month after jozy left sunderland. he was just renting some random flat in gateshead lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Jose posted:

i worked with someone who had jozy's payslip mailed to him the month after jozy left sunderland. he was just renting some random flat in gateshead lol

I read that as some kind of garnishment because he kept missing his rent.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the concept of payslips being a thing when in one week you earn more than 99% of people earn in a year

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

the concept of payslips being a thing when in one week you earn more than 99% of people earn in a year

I was shocked it was for a month as a player's wages are always described as being per week.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
True story: i once moved into a flat that was previously rented by a 19 year old professional footballer in the eredivisie, like 15 years ago. For a while they kept sending post there, including pay slips. Years later I found one that wasn't picked up and opened it, and it was totally bizarre because they used the same pay slip software as my work, only where it said monthly income like €2000 for mine it said €50.000 in his lol. zeros everywhere.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think it's mad that people on that sort of money would rent when they could save for about three weeks and buy somewhere for cash and then just keep it. I can't even figure out what you'd do with that sort of income, you literally couldn't spend it quicker than you'd earn it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I think it's mad that people on that sort of money would rent when they could save for about three weeks and buy somewhere for cash and then just keep it. I can't even figure out what you'd do with that sort of income, you literally couldn't spend it quicker than you'd earn it.

Why go through the headache of buying and selling a house potentially every threeish years? Van Dijk was renting Ole’s house in Cheshire when Ole got the United job so I’m sure there’s a footballers rental network out there

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I assume they have people to do all that for them, or just keep the house as a spare

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

suddenly remembering obafemi martins being sued by his agents because while being paid £80k a week after getting paid on a friday he was managing to spend the whole thing over the weekend and borrowing money from them for the rest of the week. This went on until he owed them millions

that also explains why most footballer salaries are talked about in weekly terms i guess

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I assume they have people to do all that for them, or just keep the house as a spare

You have to pay those people too, or you can just have a fixed £5, 8, 10k/mo payment everywhere you go without any strings.

Jose posted:

suddenly remembering obafemi martins being sued by his agents because while being paid £80k a week after getting paid on a friday he was managing to spend the whole thing over the weekend and borrowing money from them for the rest of the week. This went on until he owed them millions

that also explains why most footballer salaries are talked about in weekly terms i guess

There's also this, it's piss easy to blow through tons of money when you're 25, rich, and work about 15 hours a week.

E: It's interesting that footballer salaries are in weekly wages because that's a totally foreign thing to Americans, whose professional athletes are discussed in yearly salaries or total contract values. When you break it down, someone like LeBron James makes $1m/wk which somehow seems like a lot more money than $50m/yr or however much he actually makes. Most of us can look at a weekly wage and be like "drat, that guy makes 200x what I make in a week" whereas a $50m/yr contract might as well be a zillion-gajillion dollars.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 24, 2023

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

That would answer your question about how they burn through this money so fast.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Friend used to work for a law firm and spent a lot of time sending payment reminder letters to premier league managers and players who bought flats through third party companies and then just never paid until they were legally obligated to do so

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Thanks Ants posted:

A lot of professional athletes have one or more houses and then just rent an apartment where they’re actually playing because the price of what normies would consider a luxury apartment is negligible to them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

that time when notts county signed Schmeichel and Campbell and then didn't have any actual money

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

that time when notts county signed Schmeichel and Campbell and then didn't have any actual money
and sven as DoF lol

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

footballers getting described as paid weekly is just tradition from when people who worked in factories used to get paid weekly and have to queue up to get cash money in a little envelope, so weekly wage was a standard measure

that plus saying £400k per week sounds like a lot more money than £20m per year if you write it in the newspaper

I've never had any dealings with a football club that didn't just run a monthly payroll, considering the amount of HMRC poo poo you have to do nowadays and the fact that they're essentially salaried staff

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How does 400k a week sound more than 20m lol. I don’t think people are just looking at the numeric part of the amount

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vegetable posted:

How does 400k a week sound more than 20m lol. I don’t think people are just looking at the numeric part of the amount

"Thousands" are more relatable than "millions" to most people. Millions is a fanciful number without much meaning, most people exist dealing with thousands in their day to day life. It's a much more easily quantifiable.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

400 is more than 20

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Thousands makes it easy for me to say wow in a single week that guy makes ten times what I make in a year

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

vyelkin posted:

Thousands makes it easy for me to say wow in a single week that guy makes ten times what I make in a year

It’s this

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Don't La Liga players get paid twice a year? I thought I remembered seeing that during the "levers" shenanigans with Barcelona.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

That Jozy was in a position to score the winner in the infamous 1-1 draw with England but literally fell over in goal.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Shroud posted:

Don't La Liga players get paid twice a year? I thought I remembered seeing that during the "levers" shenanigans with Barcelona.

I'm sure I remember something to that effect with Michael Owen complaining that he'd just get like three million euros dumped into his bank account twice a year, but that there was nothing to do in Madrid, the capital city of Spain, so presumably he just stared out of the window or sent embarrassing texts to someone who wasn't his wife

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He could have gone to the cinema or something

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shroud posted:

They get paid a "nominal" amount monthly(€13k-ish, the La Liga minimum) and then yes, twice a year they get all of their bonuses, image rights, etc dumped into their account.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I'm sure I remember something to that effect with Michael Owen complaining that he'd just get like three million euros dumped into his bank account twice a year, but that there was nothing to do in Madrid, the capital city of Spain, so presumably he just stared out of the window or sent embarrassing texts to someone who wasn't his wife

Tremendous, by the way

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
sheffield wednesday throwing away L1 automatic promotion then coming back from 4-0 down in the playoff semis to winning the second leg 5-1 and going through on pens then scoring in the 117th minute of the final. and then going straight back down because our owner has all the tactical nous of a fishfinger

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Was thinking just now about the ac Milan lineup comparisons

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
That time an Al-Qaeda backed group planned to blow up the England bench and throw grenades into the crowd during a 98 World Cup game while also storming the hotel the US were staying at and crashing a plane into a nuclear power plant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_World_Cup_terror_plot

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I believe a somewhat eccentric Arsenal fan was the mastermind.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Piers Morgan?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mickolution posted:

That time an Al-Qaeda backed group planned to blow up the England bench and throw grenades into the crowd during a 98 World Cup game while also storming the hotel the US were staying at and crashing a plane into a nuclear power plant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_World_Cup_terror_plot

That sounds like a Tom Clancy book

Xabi posted:

I believe a somewhat eccentric Arsenal fan was the mastermind.

Thanks Ants posted:

Piers Morgan?

:xd:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Piers Morgan?

no, the popular one

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1717592356290023547

Lmao, the fa legit getting mad over this?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/SoccerAM/status/1433369106296758273

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

argentina being so desperate to win something they made maradona manager and it being a total expected disaster. He made riquelme retire from international football after criticising him in a post match interview and instead of arriving in bolivia 2-3 weeks in advance of the match to let players acclimatise to the elevation had the plane land 2 hours before kick off instead

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jose posted:

argentina being so desperate to win something they made maradona manager and it being a total expected disaster. He made riquelme retire from international football after criticising him in a post match interview and instead of arriving in bolivia 2-3 weeks in advance of the match to let players acclimatise to the elevation had the plane land 2 hours before kick off instead

Jonas Gutierrez at left back lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_4bp8bBNVw