Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Has a predator ever fought an engineer?

In the Dark Horse comics just before the Disney buyout, there was the mega-crossover comic event “Fire and Stone” that had a Predator nicknamed “Ahab” hunting an Engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

On the subject of the very distinct sounds of pulse rifles and smartguns, despite its many, many faults, Aliens Colonial Marines absolutely nailed the sound design.

I think most of the AVP games and Aliens: Fire Team really captured the soundscapes well, too.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fireteam absolutely does. Even the non-pulse rifle weapons sound pretty good.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Speaking of Fireteam, it seems like Cold Iron Studios is working on another Alien title:

https://twitter.com/AliensFireteamE/status/1716500146530230306

My money's on Aliens: A Comic Book Adventure 2.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Alien Trilogy was so much fun back in the day.

So strange though to this day knowing that the Alien: Resurrection game that came out way back crashed and burned largely to a control scheme that has now become the universal standard and also because it was too hard. The second point is even funnier when you consider the huge market for brutally difficult games like Dark Souls and their imitators. Game was way ahead of its time and suffered because people couldn't come to grips with dual sticks and poo poo. Reviews at the time tore it a new one in large part due to the controls.

There was another game around the same time called Space Cops or something like that and I bounced off that one also because of a control scheme that I've now come to expect in any first person game and my unfamiliarity with the "dual shock" setup.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

In the Dark Horse comics just before the Disney buyout, there was the mega-crossover comic event “Fire and Stone” that had a Predator nicknamed “Ahab” hunting an Engineer.

So, Prometheus era engineers, right? Not elephant men?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

BiggerBoat posted:

Alien Trilogy was so much fun back in the day.

So strange though to this day knowing that the Alien: Resurrection game that came out way back crashed and burned largely to a control scheme that has now become the universal standard and also because it was too hard. The second point is even funnier when you consider the huge market for brutally difficult games like Dark Souls and their imitators. Game was way ahead of its time and suffered because people couldn't come to grips with dual sticks and poo poo. Reviews at the time tore it a new one in large part due to the controls.

There was another game around the same time called Space Cops or something like that and I bounced off that one also because of a control scheme that I've now come to expect in any first person game and my unfamiliarity with the "dual shock" setup.

I don't think Alien Resurrection crashed and burned, but it didnt do as well as they'd hoped and a PC version was cancelled. I think it had little to do with the controls and more by being overshadowed by the Playstation 2 while being an adaption of a movie that came out 3 years prior and wasn't well recieved in the first place. The controls I think were well received by most who gave them a decent go; but there is one particularly infamous Gamespot review that has aged spectacularly poorly that slated the controls. It was also criticised, fairly in my view, for being far too hard.

I did a playthrough on original hardware of Alien Resurrection back in 2019 and documented a fair chunk of it in this thread. If I'm honest the controls aren't great - while yes it has the modern dual stick layout, the controls feel very loose. Couple that with no aim assist, and a very wobbly framerate, and you feel like you're fighting the controls as much as the xenomorphs. The difficulty curve is all kinds of messed up; the first four levels or so are hard but fair. Theres more than enough health and ammo to keep you going if you're careful, and theres always at least one autodoc knocking about if you need to engage any facehuggers (of which there are far too many). Halfway through the game the difficulty just takes off and there just aren't enough resources to make it through the levels unless you are able to deal with every engagement perfectly with no mistakes. Not to mention an ever increasing amount of facehugger encounters with few or no autodocs available.

In contrast I think Alien Trilogy has actually aged far better. Yes the 2D sprite enemies are incredibly dated and it takes place on a DOOM style 2D plane, but the environments look great, the sound effects and music are brilliant, and because of the simplicity of the gameplay the controls work fine and you don't feel like you're fighting them at any point.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

So, Prometheus era engineers, right? Not elephant men?

Correct. The comics came out after Prometheus.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
A lot of us disagree on Alien 3 the movie.

I think we can all agree the Alien 3 SNES game was a pretty great game

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fatrick posted:

A lot of us disagree on Alien 3 the movie.

I think we can all agree the Alien 3 SNES game was a pretty great game

Yeah it was! It was pretty common for licensed IPs to be made into side scrolling platformers, but Alien 3 was a lot more than developers usually shot for. A side scroller with exploration, mission objectives, and multiple weapons with separate ammunition counts was really novel at the time.

Of course it really helped that it was a weird hybrid of Aliens and Alien 3 - it took place in the Alien 3 prison, but there were many aliens and Ripley had the pulse rifle and flamethrower from Aliens. I don't know if there would be a lot you could really do with a straight Alien 3 game - maybe an Isolation-like or Telltale-type game, but that wouldn't really be doable on the SNES in a satisfying way.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I could have sworn, and maybe this is a bit of mandela effect, that at the Game Over screen there's a clip of Hudson saying "Game Over, Man!" Dunno if it was a PAL/NTSC discrepancy, or a different game entirely. Great game though with fantastic music. I also had Alien 3 on Game Gear which was just OK and a totally different game from the SNES Alien 3. My fondest memories were playing Alien Trilogy with my buddy into the late, late night. Super atmospheric and genuinely creepy.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Nah, you're right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXDBLBVOyyc

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Alien 3 game over scene was immortalised in literature when Alex Garland described it in detail in The Beach. How many games can claim that their game over screens were described in literature, hmm?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I love SNES Alien 3 also. All the other systems* got a version based on the computer/Genesis game to varying degrees of success but the SNES one is really unique.

*The Game Boy got an interesting overhead game where you wander around solving little puzzles and managing your inventory and there's even a bit of dialogue. The game is on a timer where you have to accomplish stuff before the company arrives. The only downside is that due to the small size of the GB screen, items on the ground are just a dot, so you have to constantly walk over stuff and check what it is by going to your inventory and looking at the row of stuff that represents what's on the ground. But outside of that it's rad, and I appreciate that in the limited dialogue that's there there was an effort to capture the "voice" of the characters without using any profanity (a lofty task!).

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Something that always bugged me about 8/16 bit games was that very few ever used the TV or films' iconic music. Which is why I will always have a soft spot for the European 8bit version of Aliens for contriving to use James Horner's main theme...in a hilariously upbeat and jaunty chiptune stylee.

So many other games though, the disappointment. Imagine doing The Terminator and just going with generic FM synth poo poo, smh. It's hardly as if anyone gave a poo poo about proper licensing back then, it was pretty much the wild west in terms of ripping poo poo off.

(though to be fair, sometimes they would come up with stone cold classics, like Robocop's strangely mournful title screen tune)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Something that always bugged me about 8/16 bit games was that very few ever used the TV or films' iconic music. Which is why I will always have a soft spot for the European 8bit version of Aliens for contriving to use James Horner's main theme...in a hilariously upbeat and jaunty chiptune stylee.

So many other games though, the disappointment. Imagine doing The Terminator and just going with generic FM synth poo poo, smh. It's hardly as if anyone gave a poo poo about proper licensing back then, it was pretty much the wild west in terms of ripping poo poo off.

(though to be fair, sometimes they would come up with stone cold classics, like Robocop's strangely mournful title screen tune)

SNES Doom actually had better music than the PC version at the time, iirc (1995). But you’re right, so few games back then actually used movie/tv show themes, but the devs were probably using every possible trick to save on memory space. The music that landed though, it loving landed. Sonic 3’s final boss theme, the Corneria theme off of Star Fox, Super Metroid’s escape theme, etc.

Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past was a good example of memory tricks; the devs only actually made 1 world, and the game would do a palette swap and change a few things here and there when going between light and dark worlds. All the dungeons were in the same space as well, there’s an exploit speed run where someone goes into Hyrule castle as you normally would at the start, glitches through a wall somehow, and ends up in the Dark Pyramid standing before Ganon.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hah, this was the first PlayStation game we got when we got one. It was basically Doom but with the alien.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I found this guy out in the garden, I hope it isn't invasive.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aliens:Fireteam Elite update posted:

Updates to matchmaking that fix host errors, disconnects, queue issues, crossplay, crashes and more
All game modes have been added to Quickplay
Added additional logs and analytics
Alpha and Beta Updates
* Improved offensive capabilities
* Improved defensive capabilities
* Improved support capabilities
* Adjusted scaling and healing for difficulties
* Adjusted behavior when reviving player
* Adjusted behavior relating to fire paths and friendly fire
* Adjusted Sleep Mode parameters leaving Alpha and Beta in at least a state of minimal engagement at all appropriate times
:aaaaa:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Bare Bones Cafe & Bar is showing Alien, which works out for me as I wait for friends to get dinner at 7pm.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just wanted to say I was thinking about Aliens today…….. and it’s still good.

Also my black cat tried to steal one of my little toy facehuggers. She knows what’s up.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Android Apocalypse posted:

Bare Bones Cafe & Bar is showing Alien, which works out for me as I wait for friends to get dinner at 7pm.

If I was rich I'd probably build a room full of button and switches to press.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

When you can see a single screenshot of a film and immediately know what scene it’s from, and all the dialogue.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

MrMojok posted:

When you can see a single screenshot of a film and immediately know what scene it’s from, and all the dialogue.

Funny enough the movie had subtitles on but I just got the pic during a quiet moment before anybody spoke.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Hulu has a Halloween section where they've partitioned movies into Scary, Very Scary, and Very Very Scary. Alien is under Scary. Maybe if Ridley Scott wasn't such a bozo he could've made something Very Very Scary, like Anabelle.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:chloe:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I was 8 or 9 the first time I saw alien at a friends house (aliens directors cut too) and I was scared shitless watching it. Slept with the lights on for weeks afterward

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

I was 8 or 9 the first time I saw alien at a friends house (aliens directors cut too) and I was scared shitless watching it. Slept with the lights on for weeks afterward

Hella fuckin same.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Big same. I think a friend had a birthday sleepover and we marathoned the trilogy. Not a lot of sleeping, but definitely some 'facehugger' pranking to the kids who nodded off first.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Not Aliens related but I saw the beginning of Nightmare on Elm Street 3 when I was about 4-5 years old with my friend and I didn't sleep with my lights off until I was 13 due to that. Every night.

I made it until Freddy appeared in the mirror and Kristin cut herself and I must have started screaming because her mom came running downstairs and started yelling at her for showing me that. She was only a year or so older than me.

I ran home crying and had the first nightmare I ever remember. I've had hosed up sleep disorders ever since. I'm sure sleeping with the lights on may have affected my circadian rhythm. I've had three sleep studies and after the second one, one the techs told me "you sleep violently." I can't truly blame it on seeing NOES, but it certainly hosed me up. :toot:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 1, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arson Daily posted:

I begged my parents to let me watch ‘Alien’ when I was 9 and for some reason they let me do it.

I wasn’t really scared by it though, I think it was a combination of watching a VHS copy on a small TV and having fully immersed myself in the Kenner toyline well before I even saw the movie, so the Alien was more “cool” than “scary”.

My first Aliens toy was the Snake Alien, specifically chosen because my mom is afraid of snakes. I still have it on my shelf to this day. :kiddo:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Not Aliens related but I saw the beginning of Nightmare on Elm Street 3 when I was about 4-5 years old with my friend and I didn't sleep with my lights off until I was 13 due to that. Every night.

I made it until Freddy appeared in the mirror and Kristin cut herself and I must have started screaming because her mom came running downstairs and started yelling at her for showing me that. She was only a year or so older than me.

I ran home crying and had the first nightmare I ever remember. I've had hosed up sleep disorders ever since. I'm sure sleeping with the lights on may have affected my circadian rhythm. I've had three sleep studies and after the second one, one the techs told me "you sleep violently." I can't truly blame it on seeing NOES, but it certainly hosed me up. :toot:
That's not a sleep disorder it's Freddy messing with you.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer posted:

That's not a sleep disorder it's Freddy messing with you.

Honestly, I learned a lot of being able to control my dreams (when I am allowed) over the years due to fighting Freddy in them. Not complete control but being able to bend things. Like, not exactly flying but being able to jump very very high and far when in distress. It's kinda rare but bending the dream rules has helped a lot. I can still do it sometimes. Especially when I realize in my dream that I am dreaming.

One time as a kid at maybe 7-8 years old I was on the top bunk (my 5 year older brother had the bottom of course) and I rolled over and slipped under the board preventing you to roll off. I was hanging there by my neck screaming until my parents came in and helped me. The next day they were asking me if I was still ok and everything and I had no idea what they were talking about. I slept through the whole thing. I can only imagine that bunk beds don't allow that anymore for safety reasons.

I've had one sleep paralysis in my life that I can actually remember. I was in a mental hospital for suicide and I was drifting off to sleep. The door was open and the nurses were walking around and I could hear everything. Then a hand came up from under my bed and grabbed my neck. It was a leather glove with knives for fingers. All I could eek out was "whooo.... are..... you....?" and I woke up gasping for air. The surroundings were the same. Door open and nurses chatting and walking around.

Scary poo poo!

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 1, 2023

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Aliens: Fireteam Elite is free on Playstation+ this month. If any PS goons in this thread haven't yet bought it, well now you have no excuse not to play this good game. Should mean an influx of new players too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The new bot ai is... look promises were made and immediately broken when alpha strolled across my line of fire while I was standing still actively minigunning aliens. But now he'll also shoot me in the back sometimes for no reason so they obviously did something.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
They get more human with every patch.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

One of the two movie quotes I use at work. Student, especially in the lower year levels, hands in a piece of work - "Janey, not bad... for a human."

The other one is "Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

edogawa rando posted:

One of the two movie quotes I use at work. Student, especially in the lower year levels, hands in a piece of work - "Janey, not bad... for a human."

The other one is "Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

You know you could say that doing the class’s assigned reading will “make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me”.

Or tell a student that “if you bleed, i can kill you”.

There’s a lot of useful quotes in ‘Predator’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BiShOp!