Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

LividLiquid posted:

I quite literally just just watched this and cried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ezx3UwMXiQ

Why couldn't it have all been like this? :cry:

Her announcement meant so much to me that I instantly accepted that I'm a woman and announced it to my family and friends.

That scene got me so excited. She’s the Doctor who built her sonic in a cave with a box of scraps. She’s gonna tinker. She’s gonna get her hands dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GigaPeon posted:

That scene got me so excited. She’s the Doctor who built her sonic in a cave with a box of scraps. She’s gonna tinker. She’s gonna get her hands dirty.

And then it never happens again unless I'm forgetting a scene. :(

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

PriorMarcus posted:

It literally never happens again lol

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Chibnall fuckin sucks. Reckon it's Karma coming for him for poo poo-talking the show on TV in '86. Jodie deserved a way better showrunner.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
To be fair to Chibbers, he was slagging off Pip and Jane Baker specifically in that appearance, if memory serves, and the only good thing those two delivered was the Rani kicking the Master in the groin in one scene

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
If Pip and Jane had been showrunners for the last five years I guarantee you we would have at least gotten five full seasons' worth of episodes delivered promptly on time

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
For all their faults, Pip and Jane pulled the final episode of Trial out of their butts with barely any notice after Saward threw a tantrum.

The stories might not be great, but they could be relied upon to provide a story in an emergency!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

armpit_enjoyer posted:

To be fair to Chibbers, he was slagging off Pip and Jane Baker specifically in that appearance, if memory serves, and the only good thing those two delivered was the Rani kicking the Master in the groin in one scene

This post is an erasure of the Rani dressing up as Mel in Time And The Rani which means this post is homophobia. :colbert:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Pip and Jane is a more a memorable combination of words than anything Chibbers came up with in his tenure on the show and it's just their loving names.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

PriorMarcus posted:

Pip and Jane is a more a memorable combination of words than anything Chibbers came up with in his tenure on the show and it's just their loving names.

I don't know about you but Timeless Child is seared into my brain, it's not a fond memory but it's there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

howe_sam posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1716771530892255562
Kate Herron is going to be cowriting an episode for Fifteen. She was the director of the first season of Loki, so I've been hoping she'd get involved with Who and now wish granted.

Ah cool, the new showrunners for post RTD2.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Ah cool, the new showrunners for post RTD2.

Or the new showrunners for one of the rumored spin-offs. Rose

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Blimey your teeth, have you got space teeth?!

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barry Foster posted:

It literally never happens again lol

everyone loves a "tinkerer" Doctor until the prop department starts asking why they have to make new props for every episode when there's a perfectly good sonic that's been designed already

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

PriorMarcus posted:

I think there's one similar scene in Demons of the Punjab of her tinkering the defensive perimeter teleporter thingies, but that's it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Forktoss posted:

If Pip and Jane had been showrunners for the last five years I guarantee you we would have at least gotten five full seasons' worth of episodes delivered promptly on time

by the end of the day after they were announced

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
We’ve watched two seasons of Ncuti already. RTD just moves so fast our brains are still catching up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think there's one similar scene in Demons of the Punjab of her tinkering the defensive perimeter teleporter thingies, but that's it.

There's a scene where she waxes poetic about a particular type of engine in a futuristic spaceship, though that's just more in-general "I like machines/engines/mechanical things" than tinkering obviously.

The scene in Resolution where the Dalek puppeteers its captive to build a scrap Dalek-shell from remaining parts felt like a neat little nod to the Doctor doing the same with her sonic in The Woman Who Fell To Earth but... yeah, I think that's basically it for the tinkering/engineering for 13.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HD DAD posted:

We’ve watched two seasons of Ncuti already. RTD just moves so fast our brains are still catching up.

He's been holding the screen up at his head height and playing them for months now and can't understand why nobody seems to have anything to say about them apart from some very enthusiastic airline pilots.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
15's episodes are already out there like 11's videos in Blink, but because it's 2023, they're all on random TikTok channels.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

He's been holding the screen up at his head height and playing them for months now and can't understand why nobody seems to have anything to say about them apart from some very enthusiastic airline pilots.

...so that's why the #planeshavestopped

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Forktoss posted:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
She uses a laminator in Spyfall, I guess.

I don't understand why Pip and Jane's estate is so possessive over the rights to the Rani. There's one BBV audio with Kate o'Mara, and two Big Finish audios without Kate O'Mara.

Also apparently BBV released a novelisation of their audio, and included an unoffical Rani called Nari in their audios because of course they did. This is a company that replaced K-9 with a metal ferret.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

OldMemes posted:

She uses a laminator in Spyfall, I guess.

I don't understand why Pip and Jane's estate is so possessive over the rights to the Rani. There's one BBV audio with Kate o'Mara, and two Big Finish audios without Kate O'Mara.

Also apparently BBV released a novelisation of their audio, and included an unoffical Rani called Nari in their audios because of course they did. This is a company that replaced K-9 with a metal ferret.

Bill Baggs seems like a fascinatingly awful person. Like, he's really lovely but in such a specific baffling way.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Fil5000 posted:

Bill Baggs seems like a fascinatingly awful person. Like, he's really lovely but in such a specific baffling way.

It seems like he's managed to alienate nearly every single Doctor Who alumni (except for Sophie Aldred, for some reason). Doesn't he still owe Colin Baker money from the 90s or something?

The way he's managed to squeeze every drop out of every scrap he can license or pastiche is fascinating. He's managed to reuse and recycle basically everything. The biggest pull he had was having the offical license to use the Brigadier, only to lose it in a twitter fight. The BBV rabbit hole is deep, but trying to patch a lot of the story together is rather difficult.

Baggs would be a really interesting person in the history of the fandom, if he'd just chill out and make better choices.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

We're getting an interview with Tennant and Davies in the Oct 26th Empire issue

quote:

“I was surprised,” admits Tennant, “when I saw what that first script was based on, then I read the second script, which is unlike any Doctor Who episode ever. These new specials are Russell off the leash.”

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is that the TARDIS having a gravity problem?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Turns out Tennant isn't playing the Doctor, he's playing Arthur FordDent!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 25, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can't think of a Doctor who has enough sour "I just want to go home and be left alone" energy, but Rory feels like he might work. nonDoctor Donna maybe.

edit: whoops I was thinking of Arthur Dent

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 25, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Khanstant posted:

I can't think of a Doctor who has enough sour "I just want to go home and be left alone" energy, but Rory feels like he might work. nonDoctor Donna maybe.

Post-Ponds, Snowmen-era Eleven and Freshly-Regenerated Twelve were pretty sour grumps too

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

edit: whoops I was thinking of Arthur Dent

I meant Dent :doh:

No idea how I hosed that up so badly! Might possibly be related to being a huge dumbass?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I'm glad to hear that bc I looked up several Arthur Ford's trying to get the joke and they're all like psychic frauds or sports men.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:siren: 25th November!! :siren:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1717247269014061176

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1717249676905168896

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1717252193567326425

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
One month away from Doctor Who! :woop:

One more month :negative:

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1717254709881315797

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m still utterly and delightfully baffled we’re getting RTD and Tennant Doctor Who in TYOOL 2023.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/whovian_fanbase/status/1717252802005680211?s=20

I really like this little release day promo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There is balm in Gilead :shobon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

We play the contest again… Time Lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I still think it's bizarre looking at the sequence of titles for these episodes.

RTD: "Okay, David, first episode back will be 'The Star Beast'."
DT: "Okay, okay, ALIEN allusion, I dig it."
RTD: "Then, second episode, we're calling it 'Wild Blue Yonder'."
DT: "Okay, nice. Very evocative, very in keeping with the spirit of the show. I love it."
RTD: "And for your last episode, the last of our 60th anniversary specials, the one where we turn the reins of Ncuti and let 14 go off into the night..."
DT: "Yes, yes? I'm all excited!"
RTD: "I'm thinking of calling it 'The Giggle'."
DT: "...I'm sorry?"
RTD: "'The Giggle'."
DT: "...Russel, are you having a laugh, mate?"
RTD: "No, but Neil will be."