Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

The Shadow Line is incredibly dumb fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The only thing I remember about The Shadow Line is the intro.

Haunting women sings. Booming drum. Booming drum. Repeat.

Edit: its on ukplay for 18 days if any wants to catch it before it disappears from free streaming.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 20, 2023

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

goatface posted:

Just watch every episode of the bill.

gently caress that
Watch every episode of Taggart.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
And Cracker.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Shadow Line got so weird. They could have thrown in a scene saying 'also the antagonist is a time lord' and I might have bought it. TOTL was great, not funny like Deadloch but had the best depiction of grown up computer dudes on TV.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The Shadow Line ruled. I also enjoyed the writer/director's two following projects about Israel and War Crimes. The guy's got a weird career - in the Tim Burton Batman he shot the Waynes, then twenty years elapsed and he was given three high-budget BBC shows.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's 'A touch of cloth' if you feel like a change of pace with a satire of police procedurals.
Ah gently caress i was gunna recomend that too!

Say what you like about black mirror, imo charlie brooker's real genius is in understanding exactly what worked about the humour of Police Squad and the Naked gun movies and applying that to modern police proceduals of all stripes. Amazing gags all round and rips the poo poo out everything from midsomer murders to CSI.

The running bit where Cloth pulls out his gun and dramatically puts the barrel in his mouth at the tiniest setback absolutely ruined Leathal weapon for me tho.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J8lzqZ929g&t=5s

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
thanks for the additional recs all. Going to add them to my list

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Stuck on Have I Got News For You for the first time in ages, and within minutes the guest journalist has just broadly described Palestinians as terrorists. Fantastic work, no notes.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

goatface posted:

And Cracker.

Oh shiiiit, this is a big +1 from me. Robbie Coltrane as Cracker is one of my favourite tv performances ever, even if each individual story tends to be hit-and-miss.

"To Be A Somebody", the infamous three-parter with Robert Carlyle, is a masterpiece.

I'll throw in a slightly off-colour recommendation: Murder in Successville. In addition to being pant-pissingly funny at its best, the mysteries are genuinely well-written.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Planet Earth III

That's it, that's the post.

Absolutely breathtaking television.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

Planet Earth III

That's it, that's the post.

Absolutely breathtaking television.

His legacy with Raine Island was neat to see, and the changes since.

As expected, a heavy dose of "this stuff won't be around soon"

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Adrianics posted:

Oh shiiiit, this is a big +1 from me. Robbie Coltrane as Cracker is one of my favourite tv performances ever, even if each individual story tends to be hit-and-miss.

"To Be A Somebody", the infamous three-parter with Robert Carlyle, is a masterpiece.

I'll throw in a slightly off-colour recommendation: Murder in Successville. In addition to being pant-pissingly funny at its best, the mysteries are genuinely well-written.

Just want to echo this. Sensational telly.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

That episode of Murder in Successville with Chris Kamara turning to Tom Davis and just saying 'hey'.....while holding up some straw he had found, while Tom Davis struggles not to giggle. Yeah, that was good.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Bogmonster posted:

That episode of Murder in Successville with Chris Kamara turning to Tom Davis and just saying 'hey'.....while holding up some straw he had found, while Tom Davis struggles not to giggle. Yeah, that was good.

There have been few things funnier than the scene in the very first episode where Davis is feeding Jamie Laing lines via an earpiece.

Tom Davis in general is one of my favourite people, I hope he conquers the world.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You should certain watch a series of that show between whatever more gritty/dark shows you are binging yes.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Murder in successville is sometimes almost entirely carried by Tom Davis' performance and while its still fun to see a bemused reality tv or soap star bumble along confused with him its propper funny when they get a guest on who clicks with him and plays along.

That Cris Kamura episode is a highlight, he had me cackling all the way through, what a champ.

Speaking of are there any decent improve planel game shows on anymore? Whats filling the whose line is it anyway void these days? If it does exist please say paul merton isnt involved.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

Speaking of are there any decent improve planel game shows on anymore? Whats filling the whose line is it anyway void these days? If it does exist please say paul merton isnt involved.

Not that I'm aware of, sadly. I'm a big improv fan myself and its absence on tv since Whose Line and Thank God You're Here makes me sad.

Mischief Theatre (The Goes Wrong Show) came from an improv background and did daily livestreams of their Movie Night improv shows during lockdown which often proved to be the highlight of my week during that particularly lovely time, there's several clips and whole episodes available on Youtube if you're desparate.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

There was Fast and Loose which was Dan Patterson's attempt to recapture the Whose Line magic and ITV's attempt to bring over Thank God You're Here (which did involve Paul Merton I'm sorry to say), both of which failed to last more than a few episodes.

Improv is really tricky to land on TV, I think it's hard to portray the spontaneity and theatricality of it in such a controlled pre-recorded medium. The closest we get in the UK are all the parlour game panel shows like Just a Minute, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue and Would I Lie to You.

I think the closest we have to WLIIA in terms of a spiritual successor at the moment is probably Taskmaster, in spirit at least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone know if the TOTP episodes on iPlayer are rotated regularly? I’m seeing quite a few October ones so I’m hoping it’s a good sign they get cycled and maybe a handful of different ones next month. Shame they don’t keep more up as would’ve loved to see what was among the ones done already.

Wezzo
Sep 15, 2007
Rated PG

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does anyone know if the TOTP episodes on iPlayer are rotated regularly? I’m seeing quite a few October ones so I’m hoping it’s a good sign they get cycled and maybe a handful of different ones next month. Shame they don’t keep more up as would’ve loved to see what was among the ones done already.

The ones on iPlayer are those that have been broadcast on BBC4 within the last month or so. Each Friday, BBC4 tends to air two as part of its ongoing, now-a-decade-in-the-making start-to-finish run (give or take a few with dodgy presenters; they're currently on April 1995), and two more that they have already repeated as part of their repeat run (so, usually from the 70s or 80s), from the current calendar week.

Wezzo fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 25, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

drat, I’ve missed out on a ton then. I’m gonna grab them as they go up at least to make my own personal awful library of pop. Thanks for the info!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The adverts the BBC runs on radio for their TV shows are hilariously bad

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I'm in a place with only BBC iPlayer so I've been watching Peacock, a 3 episode series about a personal trainer played by Allan Mustafa, and also written by Steve Stamp. It's great, he's young David Brent if he was having a mid life crisis earlier in life.

There's a fantastic bit in the first episode where he drinks his mate's entire dropper bottle of mushrooms, having never done any drugs before.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
SURVIVOR on BBC. Big fan of the original show (and the current US season is fantastic), so interested to see how they do with it. So far it's a decent copy that has that slightly cheap BBC production touch to it.

They've made the baffling decision to add music and narration. The US one is better at just letting the cast and editing tell the story. Weirdly feels like the BBC are dumbing it down.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 28, 2023

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Possibly a bit late to the party, but Boiling Point is excellent. Not sure why i've only just gotten round to watching it, because I loved the film and the cast is almost the same.

The second episode in particular hit hard to home.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
this scouse bloke on big brother going about bare chested at all times in November :cripes:

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

crispix posted:

this scouse bloke on big brother going about bare chested at all times in November :cripes:

I've genuinely been wondering if he packed a single top in his suitcase. Or maybe he's just got the same condition as Quiet from Metal Gear Solid V and he can't wear clothes because he breathes through his skin

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Softie southerners spotted

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
:wrong:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
YOU TAKE THAT BACK

:mad:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I missed the first ten minutes of Bake Off this week so I'm watching it on catch up and realized the editors put a clip of the person eliminated this week saying she wants to get a handshake or win star baker or come first in the technical. Sad!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I'm nearly through the first series of Ghosts US and it's fantastic. I wasn't sure at the start but I was hooked from Possession. They made a lot of really clever writing decisions and I find Captain Isaac the funniest ghost yet

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DrVenkman posted:

SURVIVOR on BBC. Big fan of the original show (and the current US season is fantastic), so interested to see how they do with it. So far it's a decent copy that has that slightly cheap BBC production touch to it.

They've made the baffling decision to add music and narration. The US one is better at just letting the cast and editing tell the story. Weirdly feels like the BBC are dumbing it down.

We've been talking about this in the Survivor thread and right now I think it's better than the US show's been in a while. Mostly because it's not full of people who've been watching and analysing Survivor for decades. It has the vibe of US Survivor from 10 years ago.

Wezzo posted:

The ones on iPlayer are those that have been broadcast on BBC4 within the last month or so. Each Friday, BBC4 tends to air two as part of its ongoing, now-a-decade-in-the-making start-to-finish run (give or take a few with dodgy presenters; they're currently on April 1995), and two more that they have already repeated as part of their repeat run (so, usually from the 70s or 80s), from the current calendar week.

I did not know this was a thing and now I'm going to be watching all the 90s episodes they have up at work tonight.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Volcano posted:

Share those opinions because I'm also watching it, RIP free time

So far I like Yinrun, Trish and Hallie. Was expecting to find Jordan annoying but turns out I actually enjoy his constant affected aura of misery. Olivia is doing my head in

You still watching? What an absolute rollercoaster it’s been since Friday. Did not expect either the Trish eviction, despite people having to split their votes and Facebook groups hating her I thought the sheer popularity would win out or the old tweets scandal completely destroying her reputation in the space of a day. Wow.

Did your opinion on Olivia change after? She was such a brat the first night or two but I’m glad she settled down a lot since, and without bad influences messing with her she seems a good person. Her conversation with Trish was 1,000x times better than Chanelle’s, who just irritated me for the last few weeks despite liking her at first.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

EL BROMANCE posted:

You still watching? What an absolute rollercoaster it’s been since Friday. Did not expect either the Trish eviction, despite people having to split their votes and Facebook groups hating her I thought the sheer popularity would win out or the old tweets scandal completely destroying her reputation in the space of a day. Wow.

Did your opinion on Olivia change after? She was such a brat the first night or two but I’m glad she settled down a lot since, and without bad influences messing with her she seems a good person. Her conversation with Trish was 1,000x times better than Chanelle’s, who just irritated me for the last few weeks despite liking her at first.

The whole Trish rollercoaster was WILD. She was my favourite so I was raging when she got evicted, and then all those tweets appeared. What a total mess.

I have come round to Olivia for sure (especially when she is hanging out with people I actually like) and did think her apology to Trish was genuine. And I do enjoy her one-liners.

Who do you want to win on Friday though? For me it's gotta be Yinrun for the winrun.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I feel like it’s gotta be Yinrun or Jordan. Yinrun has been pretty constantly entertaining (and no individual moment has made me laugh more than her completely obviously telling Dylan’s that she’ll no longer say the n-word, referring to nominations), but while Jordan and the love triangle thing did start to get on my nerves as it just kept going in circles, he’s definitely had a great final run. Mr. Jordan on the school day was great, and L&L showed a longer clip of him being super funny while giving the lesson.

I think it says it all that Tom and Jenkin went into the spare room stewing and hating on him, while he remained the same and didn’t let their toxicity influence him.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
there really is too much screaming, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Yeah the screaming would do my head in.

Apparently Jordan is now the bookies' favourite. I wouldn't really mind any of them winning at this point though except Henry on account of the unfortunately high levels of Toryness