Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
It was a shared paracosm. Everyone’s expectations and frames of reference were informing how the thought-form Soldier Boy manifested.

Or it was funny gag and totally worth a hand wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Honestly, the best part about that sex scene is that Sam recognized he wasn't well, shared that openly, and that he might inadvertently hurt Emma. That's more foresight than pretty much the entire male population has before just getting randomly laid, let alone losing their virginity.

I'm starting to think that the theme of GenV and The Boys is "everyone is really hosed up."

Dr. Cardossa, the guy in charge of the woods, seems the least hosed in the head.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So wtf actually happened to the kid who got vaporized? Was he even in the room irl?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
It just dawned on me that Rufus is Sam and Dean's brother from Supernatural.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Stegosnaurlax posted:

It just dawned on me that Rufus is Sam and Dean's brother from Supernatural.

They're doing time travel poo poo now?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Certainly wasn't expecting Soldier Boy's cameo to be Cate's jerkoff fantasy.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I get them tbh. Structurally they're designed both to give Sam and Emma a nice bonding moment before that relationship inevitably comes crashing down (mark it), but they also exist to keep Sam isolated from the A plot. That way he can come in at the end and try and kill Cate and the other characters can jump in and defend her, to show how much they've changed and grown over the episode*.

And yeah, they probably have an expected quotient of sex / weird sex that they've got to live up to as part of genre promises inherent to doing The Boys as an extended universe / brand / whatever.

* This is a big part of why I think this episode was so poor. The bit where Marie says "We can't trust you now, and it's going to take a long time for us to forgive you" (or words to that effect) is just bananas. The episode's trying to suggest -- very schematically -- that they're all capable of poor acts themselves, and sure. But there's a world of difference between what any of them have done, even Marie, and what Cate regularly and with full awareness did for years as an adult. She was auditing for Dr Mengele. The idea that the leads can be friends with her one day is already a stretch, and the show dangling that idea so prominently already makes me think it doesn't really understand how terrible Cate's actions are.

I also find it weird that the show decided to focus on Andre's completely consensual relationship with Cate instead of his random hit and run on that woman in the club. The show might have had more of a point if it decided to emphasise that.

I think their intention is that Cate was doing this to protect her friends, like the God U people told her "if you don't wipe their minds we're going to have to kill them." That doesn't make it right but it's more forgivable than just doing it to get good student points.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
gently caress the plot I want a 55 minute episode focused entirely on Soldier Boy insulting people.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

I think their intention is that Cate was doing this to protect her friends, like the God U people told her "if you don't wipe their minds we're going to have to kill them." That doesn't make it right but it's more forgivable than just doing it to get good student points.

I guess the way I see it is that she's kind of straightforwardly horrible in how she handled her situation. e.g. She didn't have to make the guards gently caress each other, she didn't have to supernaturally coerce her friends into getting super wasted and going to a heaving sex party, and she didn't have to have sex with Andre after doing that to him. She chose to protect the conspiracy that way.

Additionally she's apparently made no attempt to subvert the college's control over her and her friends -- even after her actions directly lead to her boyfriend doing a cross campus murder rampage she doubled down on her actions. It's only when she was repeatedly caught that she came clean i.e. when she had no other options.

Which, yeah, is more forgivable than being a card carrying member of Team Eugenics, absolutely. However, I also think that description is kind of damning her with faint praise, if you know what I mean? At the end of the day she's still a rapist who protected the interests of people who kidnap, experiment on and murder teenagers. And I get why she did what she did, but I also think the show isn't quite reckoning with the magnitude of what she's done. I also get the sense that the show mistakes the explanation of who she is as an excuse for why she acted the way she did, and I really don't truck with that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Part of what stands out to me is that when the character is introduced, given the nature of her power, it was refreshing to see how important an emphasis she put on consent. You also see her resisting using her power even when asked, like when Golden Boy was so upset about Sam being "dead" and asked her to help make him forget and she told him sadly he needed to get through it the normal way.

This is a deliberate obfuscation, of course, since it primes us to like her and also to forgive what seem like fairly minor transgressions at first - getting the bartender to ignore carding them when she wants drinks. Even really hosed up things like making that rear end in a top hat wail on his own balls with a baseball bat is played as just desserts for him telling a particularly cruel joke in the immediate aftermath of Golden Boy's death, but that was a super messed up thing to do.

As mentioned, there was no need beyond the vulgar humor of it all to make the guards mimic a blowjob with a taser, she could have just as easily put them to sleep with a command to also forget seeing them. It all ends up adding up when the reveal comes that she has been using her powers regularly without consent, and there is definite sympathy once you see what she's been through... but the attempts to equate her actions with those of the others falls flat given the stakes. Jordan had no reason not to assume Brink was telling the truth about Golden Boy having a bad reaction to being "juiced up" and even if that is a moral failing (just ignoring the juicing itself, let alone the fact a psychotic break is a side effect!), it's hardly on the same level as what she is doing. Andre having a consensual affair with her behind Golden Boy's back is also nowhere near in the same league, even if it is a lovely thing to do to your best friend and your lover.

But by showing that she's aware of and regularly espouses the importance of consent, it makes her actions - whatever the motivations behind them - feel all the more scummier to me. Which isn't to say she wasn't between a rock and a hard place, but it's not something that should be easy or in some cases even possible for the others to put behind them, even if that attitude is just going to hurt her all the more given her past history with her brother.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Andre having a consensual affair with her behind Golden Boy's back is also nowhere near in the same league, even if it is a lovely thing to do to your best friend and your lover.

Agreed on the rest, but asking for thread clarification here: I thought this only happened after GB died?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Agreed on the rest, but asking for thread clarification here: I thought this only happened after GB died?

Maybe I read the episode completely wrong, but I thought the memory was showing them having an affair (or at least a one-off thing) behind his back before his death? I did think the others were aware the two were together now, but maybe I completely misread that? If it was post-GB's death, trying to draw a parallel between his actions and hers holds even less water!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe I read the episode completely wrong, but I thought the memory was showing them having an affair (or at least a one-off thing) behind his back before his death? I did think the others were aware the two were together now, but maybe I completely misread that? If it was post-GB's death, trying to draw a parallel between his actions and hers holds even less water!

You are right. They were messing around before he died.

I also got the idea that she genuinely likes Andre and was probably only with GB to more easily control him.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

[i]* This is a big part of why I think this episode was so poor. The bit where Marie says "We can't trust you now, and it's going to take a long time for us to forgive you" (or words to that effect) is just bananas. The episode's trying to suggest -- very schematically -- that they're all capable of poor acts themselves, and sure. But there's a world of difference between what any of them have done, even Marie, and what Cate regularly and with full awareness did for years as an adult. She was auditing for Dr Mengele. The idea that the leads can be friends with her one day is already a stretch, and the show dangling that idea so prominently already makes me think it doesn't really understand how terrible Cate's actions are.

Which, yeah, is more forgivable than being a card carrying member of Team Eugenics, absolutely. However, I also think that description is kind of damning her with faint praise, if you know what I mean? At the end of the day she's still a rapist who protected the interests of people who kidnap, experiment on and murder teenagers. And I get why she did what she did, but I also think the show isn't quite reckoning with the magnitude of what she's done. I also get the sense that the show mistakes the explanation of who she is as an excuse for why she acted the way she did, and I really don't truck with that.

Perhaps the show's handling of Cate would make a lot more sense if (major finale spoiler speculation) Shetty is a rogue Vought employee in cahoots with The Boys. I mean, how many times can the counselor to the supes listen to a guy in spandex whine about vaporizing a school bus before saying gently caress all of this?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Outrail posted:

So wtf actually happened to the kid who got vaporized? Was he even in the room irl?

you do not remember this

no one does

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I also find it weird that the show decided to focus on Andre's completely consensual relationship with Cate instead of his random hit and run on that woman in the club. The show might have had more of a point if it decided to emphasise that. [/i]

Oh poo poo I actually forgot that Andre almost killed a woman and nobody cares.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Jerusalem posted:

Part of what stands out to me is that when the character is introduced, given the nature of her power, it was refreshing to see how important an emphasis she put on consent.

Uh, the show displays she doesn't really give a poo poo about consent though? Like yeah, Rufus is an rear end in a top hat so he can hit himself in the dick with a baseball bat, people will give her a pass on that but they probably shouldn't. But we also see she had no issues pushing the host or bartender to get her way so where's the line?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BlackIronHeart posted:

Uh, the show displays she doesn't really give a poo poo about consent though? Like yeah, Rufus is an rear end in a top hat so he can hit himself in the dick with a baseball bat, people will give her a pass on that but they probably shouldn't. But we also see she had no issues pushing the host or bartender to get her way so where's the line?

She makes a big show of talking about the importance of consent in the club scenes. Based on that episode you could end up reading the character as being savvy in how she'll use her powers, i.e. she'll use it for small things but not for something as serious as sex or drugs. I reckon that's what the story wants you to think at that point, anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, sorry if I didn't make that point clearer. We're introduced to her as somebody who supposedly thinks consent is a massively important part of her powers, and then we're primed to forgive her what seem like minor transgressions or "forgivable" in the context until we hit the point where it becomes clear that most of her talk about consent is pure lip-service, even if she feels bad about what she is doing.

Alchenar posted:

Oh poo poo I actually forgot that Andre almost killed a woman and nobody cares.

That's something I wish that Marie had brought up more in the wake of her near-expulsion, especially when the likes of Jordan were ripping on her for looking out for herself. They were absolutely 100% going to leave that woman to die and pretend it never happened, and none of them apart from Marie appear to care that it happened at all.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, sorry if I didn't make that point clearer. We're introduced to her as somebody who supposedly thinks consent is a massively important part of her powers, and then we're primed to forgive her what seem like minor transgressions or "forgivable" in the context until we hit the point where it becomes clear that most of her talk about consent is pure lip-service, even if she feels bad about what she is doing.

Right on, I'm with you now. It seemed like her talk about consent at the bar was clearly her putting everyone on. Like, she knows she should be saying these things but she really doesn't care to put those statements into effect with her actions. Kinda like the way Ashley was in Season 3 of The Boys when she said 'I love BLM, it's my fave hashtag, my Insta is nothing but black squares!'

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

That's something I wish that Marie had brought up more in the wake of her near-expulsion, especially when the likes of Jordan were ripping on her for looking out for herself. They were absolutely 100% going to leave that woman to die and pretend it never happened, and none of them apart from Marie appear to care that it happened at all.
This, along with them so easily brushing off Cate's betrayal, really is a weak point in the story so far. Their reaction in the moment doesn't fit with what happens in later episodes.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 24, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It would be kind of darkly hilarious if Andre's efforts to out the schools horrible acts ends up getting sidelined when Vought News does an expose with the woman he was trying to hit on at the bar telling how he almost killed that woman. A reversal of the situation where Marie was going to get expelled to save all of them (unknowingly, of course), as they paint him in the worst possible light.

Vought Anchor: What was he doing there? He's underage! Was he drinking? Was he in fact drunk when he almost killed that poor woman if not for the brave actions of Marie Moreau, who was FORCED to go along by him and the unstable Golden Boy? And for what? In a vain attempt to impress a woman who had already told him she was in a loving, committed relationship and BEGGED him to leave her alone!?! Did Golden Boy murder Professor Brinkerhoff because Brink was going to expel him for his drunken antics? Did Andre TELL him to do it? What was the nature of their relationship, the two were said to be inseparable? I'm just asking questions!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

BlackIronHeart posted:

Right on, I'm with you now. It seemed like her talk about consent at the bar was clearly her putting everyone on. Like, she knows she should be saying these things but she really doesn't care to put those statements into effect with her actions. Kinda like the way Ashley was in Season 3 of The Boys when she said 'I love BLM, it's my fave hashtag, my Insta is nothing but black squares!'

I don't really think that's correct at all, she clearly believes it and is being coerced into doing stuff by the God U people.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm so grateful that they went all out on producing the full version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9qbAuNnFU0

:allears:

His guest appearance last ep gave a glimpse of a funnier, more interesting show. He owns that role.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:rip: party dude. You died as you lived: trying to party.

Wasn't he just part of the dream? Him dying beig unremarkable by anyone especially Cate seems pretty weird otherwise.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

There is also the fact that Shetty actually gave Cate a place in the world and essentially released the massive taboo around her powers that she had grown up with. It's a miracle she's not even more of a hosed up amoral lackey for Shetty.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Outrail posted:

Shageletic posted:

Wasn't he just part of the dream? Him dying beig unremarkable by anyone especially Cate seems pretty weird otherwise.

He walked in just before it happened. Extremely bad timing lol.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He walked in just before it happened. Extremely bad timing lol.

Then where was his body after they woke up?

What happend to party kid??!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Do we know what party kid’s superpower is?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shageletic posted:

Then where was his body after they woke up?

What happend to party kid??!

idk seems like the showrunners forgot about his corpse.

He's partying in Vought heaven now.

bobjr posted:

Nope.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Lol. Fair enough. Mediocre episode really, with stuff we've seen done alot better elsewhere. All in all this season pales compares to The Boys S1, tho I still like it better than the latter seasons of the Boys.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

bobjr posted:

Throwing great parties and apparently eternal youth?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

the furtive pygmy.. so easily forgotten

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It would have been funny if after he exploded in the dream he exploded in real life. And then at the end everyone wakes up and they're covered in gunk and they don't know why.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

bobjr posted:

I wish i was joking but : SLOW-AGING, he was actually 28.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobjr posted:

Immortality, and like most powers it kicked in when he reached puberty. Which means he's permanently locked at the onset of puberty because his power stops him developing any further.

Yes, it's hosed up. That's the point.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jedit posted:

Immortality, and like most powers it kicked in when he reached puberty. Which means he's permanently locked at the onset of puberty because his power stops him developing any further.

That's the even sadder part of Logan, when you think about it. Laura had her bones grafted with Adamantium in her pre-teen years. Logan had it done long after he'd reached adulthood.

She's going to be stuck at the size she's at forever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Toplowtech posted:

I wish i was joking but : SLOW-AGING, he was actually 28.

I heard that line, but assumed his power would've been something else. There are some people pushing 30 that would still get carded at bars.

Or they should have had him be like 58 to be extra creepy.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jedit posted:

He must have been borderline suicidal to keep hanging out with supes if he got non-aging powers but lacked invulnerability. The life expectancy for a squishy human in this franchise appears to be a handful of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's the even sadder part of Logan, when you think about it. Laura had her bones grafted with Adamantium in her pre-teen years. Logan had it done long after he'd reached adulthood.

She's going to be stuck at the size she's at forever.

Actually Laura didn't have adamantium bonded to her whole skeleton, only her claws. She makes up for it by being faster than Wolverine, more agile and with an even stronger healing factor - she can reattach severed limbs, where he'd have to regenerate them.