Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mannerup posted:

people that commit atrocities against civilians, women and children are completely morally indefensible and saying this only shows your complete lack of a moral compass. you have nothing worthwhile to say about morality if you tacitly endorse those sick and depraved actions as “methods” you don’t quite agree with, but think the benefits of slaughtering women and children outweigh the human costs

absolutely deranged posting

Except that we can't even confirm how many of the deaths actually came from hamas, many of the worst deaths likely came from the IDF, who first hand accounts of survivors said were shelling their homes with tanks.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

mannerup posted:

people that commit atrocities against civilians, women and children are completely morally indefensible and saying this only shows your complete lack of a moral compass. you have nothing worthwhile to say about morality if you tacitly endorse those sick and depraved actions as “methods” you don’t quite agree with, but think the benefits of slaughtering women and children outweigh the human costs

Speaking of which:

WTF is wrong with young people.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mister Fister posted:

Speaking of which:

The youth today make me so proud.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

pro starcraft loser posted:

Was there confirmation that Israel didn't want to accept these two hostages at first? That really baffled me.

Bibi's response was quite widely reported, for instance by Reuters and The Guardian.

They insisted that Hamas had never offered to release the hostages and called their claim to have done so "mendacious propaganda." That's not an outright admission of refusing the hostages, but it's the kind of kneejerk evasiveness that is hard to read in any charitable fashion.

The extremely obvious response would be that of course they would accept an unconditional offer of release, so if Hamas weren't bullshitting, they can work this out right now, and I can't think of a reason they wouldn't say that if the hostages were at all a priority.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

I said come in! posted:

Honestly I don't think there is anything wrong with supporting hamas. I don't full on agree with their methods, but they are freedom fighters, not a terrorist group. [/url]
:cmon:, you can try to make the case that their terrorist attacks area tragic necessity for the cause of Palestinian liberation, but they're still terrorist attacks.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think it's possible to be sympathetic to the cause of Palestinian liberation but also hope Hamas is replaced by a more constructive and less vile organization, there's no need to support the continued relevance of Hamas in its current form. There's so many examples of successful resistance movements who manage to eke out victories without committing atrocities there's no justification as to why Hamas is the exception.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Fister Roboto posted:

Not a single mention of a call for cease fire. This is just the typical pro-Israel liberal stance: Israel can do whatever the gently caress it wants, but we'll wring our hands and feel bad about all the innocent Palestinians it murders without doing anything to stop it. A former president adding his voice to the calls for cease fire would be incredibly powerful, and he has nothing to lose for it, but he chooses not to.

Late to respond to this, but agreed. Obama continues to just be careful and not wield any of the power he easily could.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Gumball Gumption posted:

Even if war is inevitable (it isn't) the way Israel engages isn't and they've chosen mass retribution of innocents through a bombing campaign. You're just waving your hands to dismiss responsibility.

Again, I would be interested in hearing a realistic scenario where Israel doesn't invade Gaza.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

I said come in! posted:

Honestly I don't think there is anything wrong with supporting hamas. I don't full on agree with their methods, but they are freedom fighters, not a terrorist group. They are doing what they need to in order to secure freedom for the Palestinians and there is absolutely no choices they can make that is correct.

That would also imply that there are no incorrect choices for them, which basically means you're saying, might makes right, there's no sense in debating ethics, vae victis, etc which i don't know is a good idea.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kalit posted:

Ummmm….what do you mean by this? This part to me reads as if you’re supportive of Hamas, is that a correct interpretation?

I'd prefer if they successfully repel Israel's ground invasion, and having bomb-resistant tunnels would be an important aspect of that.

Would I prefer if Hamas, overnight, was replaced with the Palestinian Liberation Front, of equal administrative & military strength and competence? Absolutely. Is that going to happen? Probably not for the duration of the occupation at-minimum.

mannerup posted:

are you seriously framing beating, robbing and forcefully kidnapping an 85 year old woman as "emotional fighters vent[ing] on the hostages" and then continuing to detain her against her will as effort by "kinder heads"?

For the record, I'm against the treatment she received as she was abducted, and the fact that she was abducted at all; they shouldn't have abducted two grandmothers, there were military targets to abduct.

As far as hostage situations go though, yeah, I'd say that the administators were characteristically, as she puts it, "nice". The reality of how Palestinian prisoners are freed, that Israel & Palestine have accepted, is via prisoner exchanges, and within those limits the administrators are not as uneccessarily cruel as they could be.

This is also within the context that a Hamas leader died in containment literally the day prior. And that was one of the Palestinians they should want alive as a high-value asset. Other less important Palestinians undoubtedly have followed him with no fanfare.

In short, my point is "Hamas are not bloodthirsty", not "look how cute their kidnapping was!"

quote:

they also continue to hold their husbands hostage, where their public statements need to be taken in the context they still have friends and family held by Hamas who are using their lives as political bargaining chips.

you really try to leave out the context that they were loving hostages against their will who were abducted

She gave an interview of her own volition; if she didn't want to compliment her captors she easily could have, unless you'd argue that they're threatening her husband unless she gives a press tour?

Like, that's not outside the realm of possibility, but prior hostage testimonies make me more likely to believe Hamas simply doesn't abuse their hostages once they're captive.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 24, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ograbme posted:

:cmon:, you can try to make the case that their terrorist attacks area tragic necessity for the cause of Palestinian liberation, but they're still terrorist attacks.

I don't like using the term terrorist because it's so easily used by western super powers to discredit and quiet anyone who doesn't fall in line with their colonizer & white supremacist agenda. What makes hamas terrorists as opposed to the United States, or Israel, who also carry out horrific and barbaric attacks on people? I would prefer no one kill anyone else.

Panzeh posted:

That would also imply that there are no incorrect choices for them, which basically means you're saying, might makes right, there's no sense in debating ethics, vae victis, etc which i don't know is a good idea.

Fair enough! I see your point, because then it gets into what Israel is doing can be argued as justified, which i've pretty clearly stated throughout this thread it isnt.

Israel needs to use this opportunity to stop the fighting, and make peace with the Palestinians, since their plan from before October 7th clearly doesn't work.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 24, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mister Fister posted:

Speaking of which:

They objectively weren't genocidal so the results of the second poll are a shame.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

mannerup posted:

So the IRA was indefensible?
Were the British wrong to negotiate peace because it was tacitly endorsing those methods as effective?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think it's possible to be sympathetic to the cause of Palestinian liberation but also hope Hamas is replaced by a more constructive and less vile organization, there's no need to support the continued relevance of Hamas in its current form. There's so many examples of successful resistance movements who manage to eke out victories without committing atrocities there's no justification as to why Hamas is the exception.

That said, you pretty much have to accept the current relevance of Hamas given that it's the incumbent government of the Gaza Strip, with no seriously plausible/palatable alternatives that exist at present (especially since the current military initiative against it seems less invested in a regime change that might benefit/have legitimacy with Gazan Palestinians, and more in genociding/displacing them and ruling an empty desert).

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Bel Shazar posted:

Based on these figures, at least 13% of respondents age 18-24 believe yes the attacks were genocidal and yes they were justified. 19% for 25-34, 11% for 35-44.

Conversely, I don't think genocide is ever justifiable. I thought the whole problem with Zionism was the genocide, and the murder of civilians. But now I'm seeing users here who think the problem is that it's the *wrong* people being killed, the *wrong* nation facing genocide.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 24, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Marenghi posted:

So the IRA was indefensible?
Were the British wrong to negotiate peace because it was tacitly endorsing those methods as effective?

Targeting vulnerable and innocent people is indefensible no matter how much you can justify it as a necessary evil. This is in fact the entire reason why Israel is doing is cruel and evil and why the claim of "but we need to root out Hamas by bombing everything into rubble' is disgusting.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Bel Shazar posted:

Christ, horseshoe theory is real.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

I said come in! posted:

I don't like using the term terrorist because it's so easily used by western super powers to discredit and quiet anyone who doesn't fall in line with their colonizer & white supremacist agenda. What makes hamas terrorists as opposed to the United States, or Israel, who also carry out horrific and barbaric attacks on people? I would prefer no one kill anyone else.

Who here has claimed that the US and/or Israel aren’t terrorists when they wipe out innocent civilians? I certainly would categorize that as terroristic behavior.

Stop trying to justify mass civilian attacks simply because it’s not coming from a “western super power”.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Except that we can't even confirm how many of the deaths actually came from hamas, many of the worst deaths likely came from the IDF, who first hand accounts of survivors said were shelling their homes with tanks.

You're talking about the margins like they're the whole.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kalit posted:

Who here has claimed that the US and/or Israel aren’t terrorists when they wipe out innocent civilians? I certainly would categorize that as terroristic behavior.

Stop trying to justify mass civilian attacks simply because it’s not coming from a “western super power”.

Okay fair, I can agree with you on this point. And I dont think anyone in this thread is saying that, just that this is the constant framing in the news media and how western governments frame it.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

mannerup posted:

I will once again state in this thread that I believe not committing atrocities against civilians, women and children is a categorical imperative; there is no situation in which it is morally justifiable. None. Zero.

I haven't seen anyone defending atrocities or kidnapping of civilians. But I believe you can support their cause while not agreeing with every action.

Your hardline stance that once they engage in a single atrocity to support their cause shows you have no moral compass basically precludes supporting every anti-colonial and independence movement that has ever existed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Marenghi posted:

I haven't seen anyone defending atrocities or kidnapping of civilians. But I believe you can support their cause while not agreeing with every action.

Your hardline stance that once they engage in a single atrocity to support their cause shows you have no moral compass basically precludes supporting every anti-colonial and independence movement that has ever existed.

You can criticize a group without criticizing the thing they are fighting for, especially if you believe the actions they take are not something that benefits or helps the cause they are fighting for.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Marenghi posted:

Mid-Life Crisis was advocating killing doctors and bombing hospitals was a-ok, does that count as "defending atrocities"?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edit: nevermind

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ImpAtom posted:

You can criticize a group without criticizing the thing they are fighting for, especially if you believe the actions they take are not something that benefits or helps the cause they are fighting for.

And if those bad actions help it? Should you justify it then?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

that is one of the fundamental questions for Palestinians right? Fatah has never been able to stop the settlements and Hamas did.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Randalor posted:

Mid-Life Crisis was advocating killing doctors and bombing hospitals was a-ok, does that count as "defending atrocities"?

I missed that. I was responding to the first post on this page which claimed it was 'morally indefensible and showed a complete lack of moral compass' in response to this.

I said come in! posted:

Honestly I don't think there is anything wrong with supporting hamas. I don't full on agree with their methods, but they are freedom fighters, not a terrorist group.

Which I took issue with. To say you cannot defend a cause because of atrocities committed basically precludes defending every ant-colonial independence movement of the 20th century.

ImpAtom posted:

Agreed.

mannerup posted:

it shows moral consistency in believing certain actions are categorically immoral in all cases. if you want to make the argument that they committed morally indefensible actions in pursuit of their movement, I would accept that argument. I cannot accept that it is morally permissible.

‘Support their cause while not agreeing with every action’ is different from saying ‘support their cause while believing they carried out morally indefensible actions in pursuit of it’. just ‘not agreeing’ is something over tactics, not moral atrocities

imo there's no difference between those two statements. The first is just less specific than the second.

I support the Cuban revolution, the IRA independence campaign, and the ANC campaign. While not agreeing with all their actions. But I understand it's easier to judge from the sidelines and that real war is messy, especially asymmetric warfare where the risks are higher for the guerrilla fighters, and the command and control structure is less defined than in traditional military's.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 24, 2023

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

I said come in! posted:

It sounds like you would prefer it if it was the IDF that killed more Israelis on 10/7 than Hamas. Which there's no real evidence of. And just because you don't like the term terrorist doesn't mean it's not a fitting term for people who slaughter a bunch of ravers. Or was that the IDF too? I guess it was also the IDF that slaughtered themselves in their own barracks? At least that was a legitimate target and that can't be classified as a terror act. Maybe you should concentrate on that one instead of your blanket "Hamas is good" statement. I don't like the term "terrorist supporter" but that seems like a fitting term for you. And before you go thinking I'm some Israel supporter, I think the Israeli government and IDF are terrorists too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Josef bugman posted:

That can only really be determined after the fact in which case allowing it ends up being a carte blanche to be as brutal as humanly possible because well, someone down the line would say it was necessary at some point.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

punishedkissinger posted:

that is one of the fundamental questions for Palestinians right? Fatah has never been able to stop the settlements and Hamas did.

How much was Sharon's decision to dismantle settlements in Gaza dictated by the threat Hamas posed before they won the election? Strengthening the blockade on Gaza was definitely presented as retaliation to Hamas' rise to power, but I'm not sure it wasn't just mostly internal Israeli politicing.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Marenghi posted:

I haven't seen anyone defending atrocities or kidnapping of civilians.

Well, here you go.

I said come in! posted:

Honestly I don't think there is anything wrong with supporting hamas.

Great Enoch posted:

At best, attending a music festival outside one of the worst humanitarian and political injustices of our time is a deeply ghoulish and callous act; at worst, it's part of a wider cultural industry that works to normalise the suffering and killing of Palestinians.

fool of sound posted:

I believe that being a people being genocided or enslaved should not be expected to adhere to morality imposed on them by people living in safety and comfort during their struggles against their oppressors. I also believe that anyone who doesn't at least agree that oppressed peoples' resistance has relaxed moral guidelines then they're only paying lip service to the idea of liberation.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

If your stance is that Palestinian violence against the Israelis that have brutally oppressed, tortured, maimed, murdered, raped, stolen from, debased, shamed, humiliated, mocked, and otherwise devastated them for generations is in any way inevitable, understandable, or -- heaven forfend -- justified I must disagree in the strongest possible terms

Nix Panicus posted:

E: Everyone wants Palestine and Hamas to be *better* than the murderous, indiscriminate Israelis, despite the Palestinians having a thousandth of the power of Israel. You want Palestine to forego justice and show unearned mercy to their tormentors in exchange for nothing, while Israel continues to murder and maraude unchecked.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

That's a way more loaded question and can only be answered by your own morality. My own personal belief though is, no, you can't. I think it is the duty of everyone to recognize the bad parts of even noble causes and to genuinely question if those bad actions actually helped or if we've just chosen to lionize them in retrospect to help assuage our guilt over the bones and bodies our lives are built on. Otherwise it becomes too easy to justify horrible things as 'necessary' and there are far too many things I was told as a child were 'necessary evils' that I grew up and learned that, no, they were just evils for me to stop questioning the necessary part of an evil.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

punishedkissinger posted:

So, my knowledge isn’t great on this, but can you explain how Hamas was [primarily] responsible for Israel’s settlement withdrawal? They weren’t in charge of Gaza yet. On top of that, some settlements from West Bank were also removed, which I would guess Hamas has no influence on.

It seemed like it was mostly due to PM Sharon pushing the plan (primarily influenced by his son). This part is where I’m fuzzy, since there might have been a lot more external influence going on that I’m unaware of.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 24, 2023

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Well, here you go.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

If your stance is that Palestinian violence against the Israelis that have brutally oppressed, tortured, maimed, murdered, raped, stolen from, debased, shamed, humiliated, mocked, and otherwise devastated them for generations is in any way inevitable, understandable, or -- heaven forfend -- justified I must disagree in the strongest possible terms

I think this example is saying the opposite of what you intended to show? The others look like they support your point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Well, here you go.

I never said I supported their atrocities. Others jumped to that conclusion all on their own. I just said I am not comfortable with calling them terrorists, because its used as a blanket term to completely dismiss their cause and invalidate the freedom they want for Palestinians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

I think this example is saying the opposite of what you intended to show? The others look like they support your point.

If you look at that poster's other posts at the time it was pretty clear they were doing a sarcastic bit mocking the statements they were making.