Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
This time last year the Niners dropped to 3-4 after getting cut up by Marcus Mariota and then totally thrashed by the Chiefs so while I haven't enjoyed these last two games very much either, I think we should keep some perspective and wait to panic until after losing to Cincinnati

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dutchy posted:

This time last year the Niners dropped to 3-4 after getting cut up by Marcus Mariota and then totally thrashed by the Chiefs so while I haven't enjoyed these last two games very much either, I think we should keep some perspective and wait to panic until after losing to Cincinnati

Yeah, a three game losing streak is where it goes from "goddamnit" to "wtf?"

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

No I will not!

:colbert:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't think the 49ers can win a super bowl with Wilks. He's bad. The defense is playing worse than their talent would indicate. That's on the defensive coordinator. And just looking at some of the poo poo he calls makes it pretty obvious he is wrong for the job. The end of half TD was 100% on his stupidity. And that was pretty much the game, right there. Beyond that, he is constantly playing soft coverage on 3rd downs and making it way too easy to convert.

He's gotta go. Shanahan has some glaring weaknesses that are only compounded when the defense can't bail out his mistakes.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Woke up and still salty as poo poo. Wilks has to go. Twice he had this defense get burned and he only gets lucky when 49ers get turnovers otherwise the other team scores. Whether its an fg or TD.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

shirts and skins posted:

wow, you're right, when you add in qualifiers I didn't use that rule out half the team and then talk about a few individual players in an incredulous tone it doesn't sound all that good huh

The qualifiers were essentially “who is likely to be a meaningful playoff contributor over the next season or two”.

Post your list. Who is talented on the Seahawks?

The main reason people think they are good and on an upswing is because they played a super soft schedule last year.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The qualifiers were essentially “who is likely to be a meaningful playoff contributor over the next season or two”.

The main reason people think they are good and on an upswing is because they played a super soft schedule last year.

They got swept by the NFC South last year :lmao:

Niners please employ Wilks forever TIA

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The thing is, the Hawks do have a lot of young talent, but are also very thin and/or bad up front on both sides year after year. This isn't going to change, so we won't be serious contenders. I'm just along for the ride.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
That one play where Kirk was surrounded and somehow escaped without a sack was astonishing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Poor tackling was a standout feature of the niners defense last night. Also that lost wrestle for nearly an interception that was a TD instead, was a case of trying for the ball instead of taking the tackle. High risk/high reward. The niners are normally very good against the run and last night the vikings effectively ran the ball: again, I saw a lot of missed tackles.

e. Hufanga got 7 tackles and was on fire, he was an exception, but even he couldn't get to kirk cousins on at least two blitzes that I recall.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

VaultAggie posted:

That one play where Kirk was surrounded and somehow escaped without a sack was astonishing.

It was Lame! Annoying! Infuriating!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

VaultAggie posted:

That was actually a well designed play too because Kevin O'Connell pointed to the line judge to watch the 49ers secondary as he expected a penalty against them. Lo and behold, 49ers hold Addison (who still catches it anyway).

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Kenneth Walker
DK Metcalf
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Tyler Lockett
Charles Cross
Abe Lucas
Damien Lewis
Uchenna Nwosu (unfortunately dead this year)
Boye Mafe
Dre'Mont Jones
Jordyn Brooks
Riq Woolen
Devon Witherspoon
Coby Bryant
Tre Brown
Quandre Diggs
Jamal Adams
Michael Dickson

If you want to be generous you can throw in Zach Charbonnet (has the look of a future RB1), DeeJay Dallas (has quietly developed into a very good returner), and I only didn't include Geno/Bobby/Jarran Reed since they're on the older side.

This is a good team. I don't know why that's a controversial take. They're good, and young, and have every chance to get better as the season goes along. I'm way higher on their future than I was a couple years ago.

Benne fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 24, 2023

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I like and root for my seattle football seahawks period no matter what

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Bobo has been great in limited use as well. The team isn't elite, but it's not some talentless mess. The only problem is that the team has been consistently good, but not great, and early playoff exits get tiring. I hope that once there is a big event (Carroll retiring, team sold, etc), there is a sea change to go harder towards contender even if the team blows for a few years to rebuild.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lifespan posted:

Bobo has been great in limited use as well. The team isn't elite, but it's not some talentless mess. The only problem is that the team has been consistently good, but not great, and early playoff exits get tiring. I hope that once there is a big event (Carroll retiring, team sold, etc), there is a sea change to go harder towards contender even if the team blows for a few years to rebuild.

Here's the thing: they are rebuilding, this is an extremely young roster. We just don't call it that because:

a) they're playing an unsexy journeyman QB, who is not under a long-term deal anyway and there's plenty of draft capital whenever they're ready to move on from Geno
b) they're winning games and growing together, which is what an actual rebuild is supposed to look like, not sucking poo poo for years on end while the GM pretends it's some master plan when he's really trying to save his job.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Goodbye Brett Maher, hello Lucas Havrisik

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Benne posted:

Here's the thing: they are rebuilding, this is an extremely young roster. We just don't call it that because:

a) they're playing an unsexy journeyman QB, who is not under a long-term deal anyway and there's plenty of draft capital whenever they're ready to move on from Geno
b) they're winning games and growing together, which is what an actual rebuild is supposed to look like, not sucking poo poo for years on end while the GM pretends it's some master plan when he's really trying to save his job.

I agree with the general sentiment that “tear it down to the studs” rebuilds are generally stupid and just get you in a cycle of doing that every three or four years. But the Seahawks don’t have a long term answer at either QB or coach and they’re not currently elite so it does feel a bit like treading water because the next regime is surely going to want to bring in their guys in a lot of spots. It’s a very Pete Carroll roster and likely doesn’t work as well with not-Pete Carroll running the team and Pete Carroll is old as hell.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I agree with the general sentiment that “tear it down to the studs” rebuilds are generally stupid and just get you in a cycle of doing that every three or four years. But the Seahawks don’t have a long term answer at either QB or coach and they’re not currently elite so it does feel a bit like treading water because the next regime is surely going to want to bring in their guys in a lot of spots. It’s a very Pete Carroll roster and likely doesn’t work as well with not-Pete Carroll running the team and Pete Carroll is old as hell.

Are you implying that this man doesn't have the gum chewing chops to keep this thing rolling for a few more years?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You're not wrong, but I dunno, guess I'll worry about that in 2025? Not sure what we're supposed to do with this information right now, other than hope they keep winning.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
There's so much small sample/health/luck variance in football that there are worse things to be than good enough to take advantage if something stupid happens, like three Super Bowls per decade are won by a team like that

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Dutchy posted:

There's so much small sample/health/luck variance in football that there are worse things to be than good enough to take advantage if something stupid happens, like three Super Bowls per decade are won by a team like that

Exactly, you never know when every starting quarterback in the AFC could inexplicably be attacked by a guy with a hammer suffer a sudden knee injury at 8:32 am on December 7th 2023.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I don't know if Geno is a good enough QB where he can have a run of games playing out of his mind in the playoffs like Flacco or Foles, or whether the team around him is good enough to win if he plays like that, but there's only one way to know for sure.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Part of me wonders if teams have figured out Brock Purdy considered he's laid two stinkers in a row. Could be a sophomore slump. Who knows!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Benne posted:

You're not wrong, but I dunno, guess I'll worry about that in 2025? Not sure what we're supposed to do with this information right now, other than hope they keep winning.

There’s worse thing to be than a solid but not top tier team. They aren’t miserable to which at least, and a lot of teams this year sure are. But I can understand some fans being frustrated.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

seiferguy posted:

Part of me wonders if teams have figured out Brock Purdy considered he's laid two stinkers in a row. Could be a sophomore slump. Who knows!

He was 21/30 and had maybe 4 bad throws all night. two of them just happened to get intercepted.

Shindragon posted:

Woke up and still salty as poo poo. Wilks has to go. Twice he had this defense get burned and he only gets lucky when 49ers get turnovers otherwise the other team scores. Whether its an fg or TD.

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't think the 49ers can win a super bowl with Wilks. He's bad. The defense is playing worse than their talent would indicate. That's on the defensive coordinator. And just looking at some of the poo poo he calls makes it pretty obvious he is wrong for the job. The end of half TD was 100% on his stupidity. And that was pretty much the game, right there. Beyond that, he is constantly playing soft coverage on 3rd downs and making it way too easy to convert.

He's gotta go. Shanahan has some glaring weaknesses that are only compounded when the defense can't bail out his mistakes.

have you guys ever tried lithium

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Anyway enough arguing check out these absolute beauties :swoon:

https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/1716917090442170731

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Benne posted:

Kenneth Walker
DK Metcalf
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Tyler Lockett
Charles Cross
Abe Lucas
Damien Lewis
Uchenna Nwosu (unfortunately dead this year)
Boye Mafe
Dre'Mont Jones
Jordyn Brooks
Riq Woolen
Devon Witherspoon
Coby Bryant
Tre Brown
Quandre Diggs
Jamal Adams
Michael Dickson

If you want to be generous you can throw in Zach Charbonnet (has the look of a future RB1), DeeJay Dallas (has quietly developed into a very good returner), and I only didn't include Geno/Bobby/Jarran Reed since they're on the older side.

This is a good team. I don't know why that's a controversial take. They're good, and young, and have every chance to get better as the season goes along. I'm way higher on their future than I was a couple years ago.

I don’t know what to say to this except we clearly have different criteria for our analysis. Gotta agree to disagree.

It is pretty neat seeing JSN and Bobo pick it up a bit! The WR corp could have great top end talent and good depth, which would be novel and valuable.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

holefoods posted:

I like and root for my seattle football seahawks period no matter what

Same, comrade

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

seiferguy posted:

Apart from the two interceptions, which were arguably not so much a lack of skill as his having to force plays downfield he wouldn't under better circumstances, Purdy wasn't the problem last night. The problem was that the defense had zero ability to stop the Vikings offense until the fourth quarter.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Apart from the two interceptions, which were arguably not so much a lack of skill as his having to force plays downfield he wouldn't under better circumstances, Purdy wasn't the problem last night. The problem was that the defense had zero ability to stop the Vikings offense until the fourth quarter.

A defense that got shredded by Kirk "third and long" Cousins.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean even that isn’t quite fair. In the first half they forced one turnover and gave up a td on an extremely flukey play that was almost another interception. If Addison loses that wrestling match or the db just goes for the tackle, then they’d have given up only 1 td, and even as it is they mostly held the Vikings to field goals. I think the biggest issue overall was that CMC played like rear end for most of the game. 15 rushes and he only managed 45 yards and a lost fumble. The Niners failed to establish the run and were punished accordingly

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Grant Cohn is obviously a hack but inject The Discourse straight into my veins:

https://twitter.com/grantcohn/status/1716924388858306867

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
There is absolutely no chance the Niners bench Purdy at the bye week, aside from injury.

E: like if you actually watch the tape, there were multiple drives in the Cleveland game that ended because of blown assignments that had nothing to do with Purdy (specifically I can think of plays by Trent, Kittle, and Mason where they just completely whiffed blocks). Similarly last night, it wasn't on Purdy.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 24, 2023

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
:lol: that the Niners have only lost two in a row and suddenly fans and beat writers are calling it the apocalypse. :hawksin:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The Niners lost to Chicago, Denver and Atlanta last year can we just calm down for a moment.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am very very calm.

On one of Purdy's picks I'm pretty sure Jennings was no-call held or at least an illegal contact that prevented him from being where Purdy expected him to get to as he released the ball, but I haven't seen an angle on it that shows his whole route on the youtube recaps.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
On the first TD drive last night, Fred Warner over pursued and got beat badly on a cut back to give up a 10+ yard run. Then a couple plays later he tried to cheat in coverage looking behind him and Cousins hit the TE for a 20 yard gain right past him as he looked the other way. He had multiple uncharacteristic blown plays like that last night. Better bench him.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Both of Purdy's picks yesterday were Jimmy G style picks. He just threw the ball to a point where he was expecting the receiver to be and they weren't. He's normally better about keeping his eyes downfield and actually seeing the defense but he had some lapses. He also had some good plays where he did keep his head up so he just needs to keep working on it.

Edit: The upcoming Bengals game is going to be a real test because the 49ers can blame weather for the Browns game, but this game they got outplayed on all three parts. If they come out flat against the Bengals, it's going to get ugly quick.

Second Edit: Shanahan looked lost during the game, I hope he doesn't reduce the playbook because of a couple bad performances. If he loses trust in Purdy that's actually season ending.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Papercut posted:

On the first TD drive last night, Fred Warner over pursued and got beat badly on a cut back to give up a 10+ yard run. Then a couple plays later he tried to cheat in coverage looking behind him and Cousins hit the TE for a 20 yard gain right past him as he looked the other way. He had multiple uncharacteristic blown plays like that last night. Better bench him.

On that first drive on the 3rd and 12, the video replay showed Warner looking back over his shoulder before the ball was passed. If he was watching Cousins, he easily stops that from being a 1st down and the drive is over. No idea what he was looking at but he wasn't watching the play after the snap.

I mean, the ball is snapped and he turns and looks back towards the safeties or something. Just a heads down play. Or head facing wrong direction.