Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Slightly up from home plate, 600 bucks a ticket.

.............gonna be a quick no from the missus, I'd wager, but I've gotta ask

You have to go bro. Say you'll do dishes for a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Hmm should I spend $300+ to take the train to Philly tonight and to be the only Diamondbacks fan in attendance?

just kidding I don't want to have beer dumped on me

If they lose, depending on how the Phillies lose, that stadium is either going to empty out sadly or have a full-blown riot.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This is why all marriages need a budget where a couple do the items on it are that each partner has a pot of money they get full control over

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Schizziee2/status/1716855980389020133

Goddamn lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

blue squares posted:

This is why all marriages need a budget where a couple do the items on it are that each partner has a pot of money they get full control over

I could be way off base and she gives me the green light, I'm just trying not to get ahead of myself here.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Likely prompted by OP pestering the coach with WHY DIDN'T YOU PICK ME

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Shinjobi posted:

I could be way off base and she gives me the green light, I'm just trying not to get ahead of myself here.

a) you need to go
b) very cofused you did not marry someone who loves baseball more than you

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ilmucche posted:

I think the posters might be right, now that the Astros are out why do we need to watch the world series? The great evil has been stopped, and in emphatic fashion. It's just a denouement
a competitive postseason series between two teams that you can enjoy is actually very entertaining

maffew buildings posted:

lmao my wife barely tolerates baseball

I'm still not sure how I got her to come to a World Series game with me in 2018

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Eric the Mauve posted:

Likely prompted by OP pestering the coach with WHY DIDN'T YOU PICK ME

i am assuming their tryout was a bit

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

If your team is in the world series and it won't put you in the poor house please find a way to go. Like others have said it might not happen again anytime soon and you'll be so mad if you miss the chance overthinking it!

I spent ~$725 for an upper deck ticket at Kauffman to Game 2 of the World Series in 2015 and it was worth every penny.

It helps that the Royals like to take 30 year breaks between competitive windows. Gives me plenty of time to save up.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
2016 Cubs median ticket price for the World Series was $3000+ if I remember even standing only tickets where going for over $2000.

I did not go to any games. I did hangout outside Wrigley Field for game 7 (It was in Cleveland) with thousands of other people and got to celebrate so that was cool.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The most I've ever paid was $1000 for the top deck at Game 6 in 2017 (purchased the day after they won the NLCS). At the time this was 100% worth it to me, but now I am not sure I'd pay that much again. Maybe for a Game 6 at home with a 3-2 lead, but I'd bet they'd be even more expensive than that now in such a scenario.

All other WS games I've been to were bought at face value, which is a bargain by comparison. Getting access to face-value postseason tickets is the best perk of having season tickets (or a share of season tickets split with other people).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

maffew buildings posted:

a) you need to go

My wife finds the history of the Rangers to be a feature, not a bug.

"Yeah I always had fun going to games growing up, but that was because the tickets were so cheap because they sucked!"

You talk about knockout blows to a debate over cheering for a team and how wrapped up you get it into it, my wife destroyed me seconds into the first round. She's on a whole different plane of existence than me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Not to be that guy but I kinda feel like this has to be fake, right? I didn't think D1 teams would even entertain tryouts from players their program didn't at a minimum scout out of HS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

THere are a shitload of D1 baseball programs (309)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There are walk-ons, I think there was a famous one at one of the big Florida schools. Guy showed up to a practice or something one day did well enough they picked him up and he went on an absolute tear the rest of the year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There are walk-ons yeah, but the first two things they have walk-ons do is run and throw and if you throw 70MPH and don't run fast enough for the track team then that will be the end of your walk-on experience at any D1 school.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

bawfuls posted:

a competitive postseason series between two teams that you can enjoy is actually very entertaining

Yeah I'm excited for some WS baseball tbh
Just taking the piss with that post

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

As a non-Phillies fan living in the Philly area, being surrounded by Philly fans unreservedly supporting their team makes me feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

The most I've ever paid was $1000 for the top deck at Game 6 in 2017 (purchased the day after they won the NLCS). At the time this was 100% worth it to me, but now I am not sure I'd pay that much again. Maybe for a Game 6 at home with a 3-2 lead, but I'd bet they'd be even more expensive than that now in such a scenario.

All other WS games I've been to were bought at face value, which is a bargain by comparison. Getting access to face-value postseason tickets is the best perk of having season tickets (or a share of season tickets split with other people).

In 2019 I looked at tickets and the best could find was $800 for tickets in the absolute worst part of the park, the upper deck all the way down the third base line. I literally get vertigo when I go up there and feel like I'm about to fall off the stadium

Needless to say I passed on those

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah I would have passed on that too. At least for that game 6 I was behind the plate way up there.

The worst seats I've ever sat in were wayyyyy down the 1B line near the foul pole on the top level at Dodger Stadium for Game 4 of the DS in 2014. That game kicked rear end though and they were cheap enough, so it worked out.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Shinjobi posted:

Oh trust me, I know

This is the 3rd time in 12 years the Rangers have made the world series lol.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This will be the first world series that does not include either the Dodgers or Astros since 2016 when the teams involved were the Cleveland [Guardians] and that's right the Chicago Cubs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nani?!?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Cardinals/status/1208491425928818691

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Sitting here as an out of state M's fan laughing at the impossibility of being able to see them in the playoffs.

Sitting here as an out of state M's fan crying cause one more win this year would have had them playing the Twins at Target Field.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:discourse:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sab0921 posted:

This is the 3rd time in 12 years the Rangers have made the world series lol.

My roommate at the time was able to go to a game during both of those series because his brother had connections.

Trust me, I know:shepface:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:yeshaha:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I got curious when was the last time two teams met in the World Series that both had never won it before. Turns out the answer is: never. OK not literally never, the World Series had to start sometime, but the last time it happened was 1920 when the Cleveland [REDACTED], only 6 weeks removed from their second-best player being killed by a pitch during a game, defeated the Brooklyn Robins 5 games to 2 (that is not a typo).

It's still theoretically possible for it to happen, but very unlikely before MLB expands to 36 teams. Only 6 of the 30 teams have never won a World Series: the Rays, Rangers, and Mariners in the AL, the Brewers, Padres, and Rockies in the NL. And the Rangers may be two weeks from getting scratched off the list. Though maybe an exception should be made for the Guardians, whose last World Series win is about 10 years from passing out of living memory.

The Mariners are the only team in MLB that has never played in the World Series.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 24, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Rockies feel like they will be the last to win one of that bunch and probably not until they get new ownership.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Shinjobi posted:

My roommate at the time was able to go to a game during both of those series because his brother had connections.

Trust me, I know:shepface:

I just meant to lol at the never again in your lifetime part since it's the third time in the life of a DFW area 6th grader.

I'm rooting for the Rangers. Texas forever.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Here's my short story of why you should always buy the lovely seats if offered!

I got nosebleed seats for WS game 4 at the gate for $500 about 2 hours before game time. Here's where I was seated, surrounded by Astros fans to see Dylan Lee make his first ever, very inauspicious MLB start:

Not the worst seats in the house, but far from the best. Like legit got a little bit dizzy looking down at the seats below. Knew it wasn't gonna work, lasted about 25 minutes before I thought I could do better. Said goodbye and walked around the lower decks, moving a little during downtimes. Eventually landed here with a couple cool folks I met who were similarly looking for better seats:

Much better right? Well, we scanned around with some binoculars and found a section in the lower area with about 6 seats open in a cluster for some reason. Kept an eye on that area for an inning. nobody came or went. So we made our move, and got into the section when an usher wasn't really paying attention, in the sixth inning. So I got to see the rest of the game from here:

In conclusion, spend the money, make some chill new friends, and slither your way into a better seat whenever you can. Everybody will love having a cheering fan around them, and you'll remember the night forever!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The pro move is to check ticket sites online right before the game to see what seats went unsold, then move down to those

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If I feel bad for anybody last night, it's the duo dressed as astronauts.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's so over

https://twitter.com/MLBLife/status/1716908072273371248?s=19

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

noted winners Pat Beverley and the 76ers

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Pat Bev, huh? Wants to get dunked on and targeted all game, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Why would you curse yourself this hard