Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Fedule posted:

and even those are goddamn quiet. fans on the new MBPs go up to like 2k RPM before becoming what a normal person would call audible. suspect the studio is even quieter.

Under normal use you probably wouldn’t hear the studio fan if you held your ear to the case. The only time it ever becomes audible is if you’re doing sustained high intensity work (for me that means playing a graphically demanding video game) AND you’ve gone too long with cleaning the dust from the fan intakes on the underside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Shaocaholica posted:

Why does the 13” exist at all? Clearing out old parts?
Maybe there are some sickos out there who like the touch bar or depend on it for their workflow?

I found it useful for custom controls when I had to do some specialized transcription for a research project. Outside of that it spent most of the time set to F keys or turned off so I wouldn’t change the screen brightness or volume every time my fingers brushed it accidentally. I can imagine people using it in specific ways that would be helpful even if it wasn’t for me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There are some. My roommate swears by it for video editing and says if he upgrades to an Apple Silicon machine he'll specifically get a touchbar MPB.

He's also an insane person who stubbornly refuses to get used to the "normal" phone-like two-finger scrolling direction and always has his reversed, and goes into a rage whenever he uses my machine and it scrolls the "wrong" way

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I personally have to use software to fix that for regular mouse scrolling but homeboy needs help.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Data Graham posted:

There are some. My roommate swears by it for video editing and says if he upgrades to an Apple Silicon machine he'll specifically get a touchbar MPB.

He's also an insane person who stubbornly refuses to get used to the "normal" phone-like two-finger scrolling direction and always has his reversed, and goes into a rage whenever he uses my machine and it scrolls the "wrong" way

Apple gives me the option to not have to get used to natural scrolling so I’m still ride or die for disabling it too. I don’t share your roommate’s Touch Bar addiction though…

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I will always reverse scroll you cannot stop me except for by lending me use of your computer when i will say ‘ok thank you for letting me use your expensive machine that is configured to your tastes that are not different than mine in efficacy even if they’re different’

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Touch Bar is basically a hardware device meant specifically for editing in Final Cut / iMovie because everyone I ever speak to that says they use it says the Touch Bar, after getting used to it, is a godsend / makes editing faster.

Total afterthought for any other use, though.

It's like Apple meticulously developed the TB along with the FC version that supported it, then once it was finished, told all the other teams (Finder, Text Editor, Photos, etc) ok you have four days to write in Touch Bar support, don't care how good it is, just have it done by Friday, or else get downsized

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 23, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Data Graham posted:

He's also an insane person who stubbornly refuses to get used to the "normal" phone-like two-finger scrolling

idk if youre going to find a lot of support here

Data Graham posted:

and goes into a rage whenever he uses my machine and it scrolls the "wrong" way

this is silly but i suspect "rage" is a bit of an overstatement

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

The Touch Bar is basically a hardware device meant specifically for editing in Final Cut / iMovie because everyone I ever speak to that says they use it says the Touch Bar, after getting used to it, is a godsend / makes editing faster.

Total afterthought for any other use, though.

It's like Apple meticulously developed the TB along with the FC version that supported it, then once it was finished, told all the other teams (Finder, Text Editor, Photos, etc) ok you have four days to write in Touch Bar support, don't care how good it is, just have it done by Friday, or else get downsized

Not having physical feedback pretty much doomed the TouchBar, but Apple didn't really commit to the platform at all - no refinements to the software over the years, no additional APIs or tools for third party devs.

I'd love an updated Touchbar with Stream Deck-like OLED buttons instead one long bar. It kinda feels like Apple just said, "gently caress it, we'll implement desktop widgets in Sonoma to show the same info that was in the touchbar".

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Not having physical feedback pretty much doomed the TouchBar, but Apple didn't really commit to the platform at all - no refinements to the software over the years, no additional APIs or tools for third party devs.

I'd love an updated Touchbar with Stream Deck-like OLED buttons instead one long bar. It kinda feels like Apple just said, "gently caress it, we'll implement desktop widgets in Sonoma to show the same info that was in the touchbar".

i don't even know if it would require properly discrete buttons - a strip with their haptics wizardry would go a long way i think.

i expect it or something like it will come back in the future tbh

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Use touchbar for vi only.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
My wife used to love her old touchbar macbook pro complained about her new one sans touchbar until something clicked for her and now she says her current 14 MBP is the best computer she has ever used in her life :shrug:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Natural scrolling is vastly superior if you’re using a trackpad. It’s annoying on a mouse. Overall, I use a trackpad most of the time and a mouse only when I’m playing a video game; so I keep it on. I do wish I could set it per pointing device.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Natural scrolling is vastly superior if you’re using a trackpad. It’s annoying on a mouse. Overall, I use a trackpad most of the time and a mouse only when I’m playing a video game; so I keep it on. I do wish I could set it per pointing device.

lol come on

i fail to see how it’s “vastly superior”. it’s just habit and whatever you’re used to using is fine. i grant that it - perhaps - might be easier to grasp for those who are new to learning how to use a computing device, especially if they have prior experience with interacting heavily on touchscreens and i’m perfectly willing to admit that the concept might therefore be easier for those people to get a handle on

but vastly superior? that’s silly. it’s the exact same gesture just in the opposite direction.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Doing it the non natural way just feels wrong on a track pad. When you’re using a scroll wheel, you’re moving the scroll bar, so it makes sense that down makes the page go down. When you’re using a trackpad, it feels like you’re moving the page itself, and apple has done a really good job of making it feel just like scrolling on your iPad, so it feel weird and awkward to do it in the opposite direction; it’s like trying to jack off with your hand in reverse.

Maybe you feel differently if you were using trackpad gestures long before you got a smartphone or something, but honestly until I read this thread yesterday I had no idea there were weirdos out there who turn natural scrolling off when they’re using a trackpad.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Doing it the non natural way just feels wrong on a track pad. When you’re using a scroll wheel, you’re moving the scroll bar, so it makes sense that down makes the page go down. When you’re using a trackpad, it feels like you’re moving the page itself, and apple has done a really good job of making it feel just like scrolling on your iPad, so it feel weird and awkward to do it in the opposite direction; it’s like trying to jack off with your hand in reverse.

Maybe you feel differently if you were using trackpad gestures long before you got a smartphone or something, but honestly until I read this thread yesterday I had no idea there were weirdos out there who turn natural scrolling off when they’re using a trackpad.

if your computer shipped with the setting the other way you would use it fine and never know the difference. it's silly that they don't let you use different settings for different inputs, but i like having mouse and trackpads on desktops work the same way. it's not weird. it's not like trying to jack off in reverse...which i can't even picture to be honest. you're being extremely bizarre.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

mediaphage posted:

if your computer shipped with the setting the other way you would use it fine and never know the difference. it's silly that they don't let you use different settings for different inputs, but i like having mouse and trackpads on desktops work the same way. it's not weird. it's not like trying to jack off in reverse...which i can't even picture to be honest. you're being extremely bizarre.

I meant with a back hand grip, with your thumb facing towards you.

And no, it would feel really awkward if the computer shipped with the setting off. The problem is scrolling with a two finger swipe is the same gesture we use on phones. Using a scroll wheel is a completely different motion. So on a trackpad because it’s so similar to what we do on phones, it feels wrong to do it back to front, but with a mouse wheel we don’t have anything else to compare it to, so it doesn’t trigger that part of our brain that likes consistency.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Trying to use Maps without the phone/natural scrolling is pretty disorienting on a trackpad.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I meant with a back hand grip, with your thumb facing towards you.

And no, it would feel really awkward if the computer shipped with the setting off. The problem is scrolling with a two finger swipe is the same gesture we use on phones. Using a scroll wheel is a completely different motion. So on a trackpad because it’s so similar to what we do on phones, it feels wrong to do it back to front, but with a mouse wheel we don’t have anything else to compare it to, so it doesn’t trigger that part of our brain that likes consistency.

dude i absolutely don't care how you use your computer. i just think you're being a bit of a prat for ranting about 'weirdos' who simply use a different direction preference on a trackpad. it's like getting mad at people who invert y-axes on games or something

MrBond posted:

Trying to use Maps without the phone/natural scrolling is pretty disorienting on a trackpad.

tbh for me 2 finger on maps is jittery (this is probably due to speed of finger movement, but it feels like the trackpad resolution may be lower than i'd like) so i prefer the three-finger drag which sidesteps the issue

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mediaphage posted:

dude i absolutely don't care how you use your computer. i just think you're being a bit of a prat for ranting about 'weirdos' who simply use a different direction preference on a trackpad. it's like getting mad at people who invert y-axes on games or something

Yeah getting mad at people who invert look in videogames is actually worth getting mad about.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Lord Bude posted:

When you’re using a trackpad, it feels like you’re moving the page itself, and apple has done a really good job of making it feel just like scrolling on your iPad, so it feel weird and awkward to do it in the opposite direction; it’s like trying to jack off with your hand in reverse.
This is one of the best Apple goon posts I’ve ever read; thank you for this gift

Warbird
May 23, 2012

gently caress a motherfucking duck, does updating the HomeKit architecture prevent you for sharing the home entirely? The docs say you should be able to do it locally still but there isn’t an option to add people anymore. I really don’t want to go get an Apple TV for this.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Look, natural scrolling is exactly as easy, intuitive, efficient and effective as non-natural, it's just that one is an affront to God.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol I'm sorry for starting this topic. My whole point was that it's personal preference and I don't give a poo poo what someone else does, but I do think it's easy to get used to the opposite setting if you try it, and then you avoid the whole rigmarole of having to unset a factory setting that Apple has decided is now the standard. Or get all pissy when you have to use my computer to put in your half of the pizza order.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but are there any resources around repairing Mac laptops? A friend of mine has one that's old enough to be past warranty but still good enough for her needs, and it seems the power intake is starting to fail.

I briefly repaired Dell laptops for a living, so I think I could figure it out if I can just find appropriate replacement parts, but any goon-vetted resources would be much appreciated.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Lord Bude posted:

lmao

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I just wish you guys would take a moment to think of the innocent children before you go around promoting your unnatural scrolling.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Woebin posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but are there any resources around repairing Mac laptops? A friend of mine has one that's old enough to be past warranty but still good enough for her needs, and it seems the power intake is starting to fail.

I briefly repaired Dell laptops for a living, so I think I could figure it out if I can just find appropriate replacement parts, but any goon-vetted resources would be much appreciated.

ifixit if possible. if you need to replace a jack or something i don’t know if they’ll cover that info tho

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If it's a MagSafe port it's a distinct module, ditto if it's a USB-C port (usually) do you know the model / year?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Lord Bude posted:

I just wish you guys would take a moment to think of the innocent children before you go around promoting your unnatural scrolling.
sorry, I couldn’t hear you over the sound of me using a trackpad and mouse to scroll both ways at the same time :forkbomb:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

mediaphage posted:

ifixit if possible. if you need to replace a jack or something i don’t know if they’ll cover that info tho
Checking that out, thank you!

Binary Badger posted:

If it's a MagSafe port it's a distinct module, ditto if it's a USB-C port (usually) do you know the model / year?
I could dig those details up if needed, don't know off the top of my head though.

It seems my friend took it to a repair shop and will pay the price they quoted her, so I won't be trying to fix it myself. Still gonna look into this a bit for future reference, thanks for the responses!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

hey every bloody Apple gonna have a near-Halloween event!

https://twitter.com/ClassicII_MrMac/status/1716849370102960583

Money's on a new iMac.. mayyyybe M3..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 24, 2023

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Evening announcement is weird. Well ready to buy either new iMac or Mac mini on Monday.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

sonatinas posted:

Evening announcement is weird. Well ready to buy either new iMac or Mac mini on Monday.

Not sure they’re going to update the mini, but there’s a rumor about the iMac getting the Pro chips now, and a M3 Pro chip with the A17 Pro’s improvements could be pretty awesome.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Canned Sunshine posted:

Not sure they’re going to update the mini, but there’s a rumor about the iMac getting the Pro chips now, and a M3 Pro chip with the A17 Pro’s improvements could be pretty awesome.

I was going just get a mini but I like the iMac; I guess depends on what’s going to M2 or M3 on Monday.

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 24, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
probably gonna be new iMacs, hopefully M3, hopefully M3 Pro

I really hope they keep the existing colors :ohdear:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

probably gonna be new iMacs, hopefully M3, hopefully M3 Pro

I really hope they keep the existing colors :ohdear:

:same: I just got the discounted Max Studio, but if the M3 Pro gets announced and also put into the iMac, I might consider returning it for the iMac.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
worst case scenario, they pull a post-revision snow/etc G3 iMac and give the line stupid lame colors like Starlight and Midnight and Silver (which I like well enough, but I LOVE the M1 iMac colors)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
31" or BTFO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

This is some horse poo poo. Not only do you lose the ability to remote operate your Homekit setup when you update to the new architecture, you also lose every other user in your home and can't add them back without an AppleTV/HomePod/Whatever on your network.

Additionally, I can no longer use my goddamn Hue lights since I deleted the old home as part of troubleshooting (at support's recommendation) and you also can't add those without a gooddamn hub anymore. Christ a drat mighty, what is even the point? I've got HA going so I'm fine, but the wife liked the iOS integration for the lights so I'm having a fun time of things.

You shouldn't be able to upgrade to the new arch if you don't have a Hub on your LAN, there's utterly no point to do so and it's only downsides. God drat you Timothy Crapple. Yeah, I said it.

Bah.