Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUpxv1t7yFo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Not to be a Debbie Downward, but there's not really such thing as a "Doom Soundfont", it was just whatever your computer's MIDI sounded like. At the time, probably not anything like that. But it does remind me of how it sounds on modern versions. I guess the choice of instruments is the key thing here.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've heard __________ but in the __________ Soundfont videos on YouTube that I've enjoyed more, but this one has its moments for sure. I appreciate all the channel panning going on. Hearing these while playing Doom would probably be rad.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Has T-Rez ever said that he doesn't consider Hurt to be his song anymore/that it's Johnny Cash's song now? My friend is adamant that he's read this somewhere but can't provide a scrap of evidence. I have a supremely hard time believing Trent would ever say that about one of his songs, especially one as important/personal as Hurt.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Has T-Rez ever said that he doesn't consider Hurt to be his song anymore/that it's Johnny Cash's song now? My friend is adamant that he's read this somewhere but can't provide a scrap of evidence. I have a supremely hard time believing Trent would ever say that about one of his songs, especially one as important/personal as Hurt.

I saw him saying that on TikTok recently, but it's a hellsite with no good search tools so I can't find the video.

Oh wait here we go: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8MHqfvh/

EC fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 2, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah it's not like he disowned it or something, he just doesn't have as much of a personal connection to it I guess. After initially feeling sort of violated. He went from "He's taking my song away!" to "Oh, I guess it isn't really my song anymore anyway."

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Well, think I have to admit I was wrong here. Thanks for the help :)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I think people tend to take artists hyperbole too literally. Cash made the song 'his own' and that probably brought up all kinds of weird feelings for Reznor, but thats not the same as it being literally ruined.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Not NIN news but NIN-adjacent: new HEALTH album out on 12/7 called RAT WARS. Two new songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY498MXf9xY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6m8KAxZGu0

And a 2024 North American tour:

quote:

03/02 – Ventura, CA @ Ventura Music Hall
03/04 – Mesa, AZ @ Nile Theatre
03/05 – Albuquerque, NM @ Sunshine
03/07 – Austin, TX @ Empire Garage
03/08 – Dallas, TX @ Studio at the Factory
03/09 – Houston, TX @ Warehouse Live Midtown
03/11 – Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade @ Heaven Stage
03/12 – Charlotte, NC @ The Underground
03/13 – Richmond, VA @ The National
03/15 – Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Steel
03/16 – Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
03/17 – Boston, MA @ Royale
03/19 – Toronto, ON @ The Opera House
03/20 – Detroit, MI @ The Majestic
03/22 – Chicago, IL @ Concord Music Hall
03/23 – Saint Louis, MO @ Red Flag
03/25 – Englewood, CO @ Gothic Theatre
03/26 – Salt Lake City, UT @ Metro Music Hall
03/28 – Seattle, WA @ The Showbox
03/29 – Vancouver, BC @ The Commodore
03/30 – Portland, OR @ Revolution Hall
04/01 – Roseville, CA @ Goldfield Trading Post
04/02 – San Francisco, CA @ August Hall
04/04 – Los Angeles, CA @ Belasco Theater

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HSpWQH4iRs

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Between War, Genocide and non-stop diabetes commercials, critics are trying to sort thru tea leaves to declare soothsayers. Some of them decide to interview people who got covered by them:

The New York Times posted:

“I think they’re highly underrated in terms of the zeitgeist,” Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails said in a phone interview. “Devo challenged the idea of what a rock band could be. It felt like rock was mutating. It made me realize, ‘Oh, there aren’t any rules. You know, you can do anything.’”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/12/arts/music/devo-mothersbaugh-casale.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I really wish this shirt cost about a hundred dollars less

https://www.jc-rt.com/collections/long-sleeve-shirts/products/the-fragile-plaid-long-sleeve-shirt?variant=40205896024135&s=09

https://twitter.com/ninhotline/status/1712311762513445131?t=P3-WB0spFSXPbJ07yasI2w&s=19

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's neat but I wish it was more adventurous like

if you're paying $125 for a shirt it should be weird and not just a color reference

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Who else got excited for an email from NiN, only for that to be deflated when they saw it was for a tote bag?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

IUG posted:

Who else got excited for an email from NiN, only for that to be deflated when they saw it was for a tote bag?

Yes :(.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

IUG posted:

*raises hand*

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IUG posted:

:same:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Rageaholic posted:

*raises hand*

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I still kinda want that head like a hole dad hat

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm not sure why they included a Barbie-themed "Bro Ken" hoodie.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Is there a specific time we can point to when NIN gave up any pretense of being different from any of the other interchangeable bands selling endless tchotchkes?

I still love Trent's music but, goddamn.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Redrum and Coke posted:

Is there a specific time we can point to when NIN gave up any pretense of being different from any of the other interchangeable bands selling endless tchotchkes?

When he got married

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it's a really weird choice to make a tote for an album that came out 5 years ago

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think it looks loving sick

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Redrum and Coke posted:

NIN feels like a band that was always heavily merchandised (for the non KISS division) so I'm not really surprised he puts out even more stuff now that it's easier to do so and his fans need golf polos.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

The H&M collab will be out sooner than we realize

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

The H&M collab will be out sooner than we realize
I still wear my NIN/Black Mirror collab shirt haha

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

same

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Wish I hadn't prevaricated about buying that one, it sold out really quickly. The tote bag actually looks quite good, but I've just bought another one recently so can't justify having two on the go. Anyway when's the Year Zero remaster due

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Carpet posted:

Wish I hadn't prevaricated about buying that one, it sold out really quickly. The tote bag actually looks quite good, but I've just bought another one recently so can't justify having two on the go. Anyway when's the Year Zero remaster due

soon

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I love Year Zero but I want more remixes. I know there was a whole website full of them back in the day but I want Trent to just pick more for me to listen to.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

Yeah but that one is funny, a random H&M shirt with the NIN logo is just very anonymous.
They had Grateful Dead shirts when I was there last, left a weird taste in my mouth.
On the other hand, the last thing I want is to gatekeep NIN :(

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Yeah but that one is funny, a random H&M shirt with the NIN logo is just very anonymous.
They had Grateful Dead shirts when I was there last, left a weird taste in my mouth.
On the other hand, the last thing I want is to gatekeep NIN :(

Let people rock NIN

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Redrum and Coke posted:

I think Trent said in an interview waaaaaay back that part of the reason he went with calling the band Nine Inch Nails was because of how cool the NIN logo looked, and he was right.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
lmao the new HEALTH video has Johnny cosplaying Asuka from Evangelion at a con.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZL1_sImzKY

Legitimately don't know where else to post about them because they don't really seem to fit in the industrial noise thread. Anyway, I already got a ticket for their March show. I saw them at ArcTanGent and they ripped.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
HEALTH is an industrial rock band

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
e: posted in wrong thread everyone point and laugh

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy Halloween, friends :spooky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAbDvqPFXvQ

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

That is such an awesome version of that song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Picked up tickets to see HEALTH in Seattle. :hellyeah:
One of the opening bands called Pixel Grip looks like fun as well.