Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I was going to look at buying Card Survival on Steam, but I'm thinking I should explore how to emulate android games on my PC. That way I can get Card Survival on my tablet and also my PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

I was going to look at buying Card Survival on Steam, but I'm thinking I should explore how to emulate android games on my PC. That way I can get Card Survival on my tablet and also my PC.

I’ve used BlueStacks in the past for that and it seemed to work fine. Also Windows 11 apparently has android support built in now. Though you’ll have to figure out how to get the play store instead of Amazon.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

May not be exactly what you're looking for but I use scrcpy to mirror my android device to my PC while it's plugged in specifically to play games like CS on my computer. I set it to turn the screen off when it connects so I can use it without the phone getting hot and also don't have to see the screen on next to me while I use it. I wouldn't try to play COD mobile this way but it's perfect for CS or any other slower android games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

I have it on both because dude definitely deserves it.

The game actually plays good on the steam deck too.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Return to Moria comes out, like, tomorrow. That kinda snuck up on me. My group of 7 Days / Valheim / Conan Exiles friends are pretty curious but in a 'let's wait and see if it is any good' kind of way (I blame Gollum).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It snuck up because it's an Epic exclusive and somehow that just means zero marketing and hype. I was gonna try it out anyway, since it combines two of my favorite things; survival crafting and LoTR, but I dunno. I have a few friends who are adamant on waiting for a Steam release. Have to see some reviews, at least.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Looked pretty spiffy, I kind of dug the dwarf singing while mining. Though like lots of games my new criteria is always: "will this work on Steam Deck, and/or even if it technically works will it be a chore to play with a controller?"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bread Enthusiast posted:

Return to Moria comes out, like, tomorrow. That kinda snuck up on me. My group of 7 Days / Valheim / Conan Exiles friends are pretty curious but in a 'let's wait and see if it is any good' kind of way (I blame Gollum).
The "15 minute gameplay trailer" they put out consisted almost entirely of very slowly descending a deep, empty pit while absolutely nothing happens, just building little wooden platforms and throwing flares for 13 straight minutes, and then at the end some of the stalest combat I've ever seen, so it didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I was watching a stream, and it was definitely much better than that- but I still have some concerns. Not seen enough to share the specifics, but they’re there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Looked pretty spiffy, I kind of dug the dwarf singing while mining. Though like lots of games my new criteria is always: "will this work on Steam Deck, and/or even if it technically works will it be a chore to play with a controller?"

Yeah I’m really interested in it but I’m definitely waiting for more impressions on it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gonna take a chance on Mines of Moria but loving lol the EGS store page doesn’t say if it has controller support.

Gonna try it on my ROG Ally.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I noted some mentions of controllers in the menus. Gave it a wee go, it's got a nice look and runs well. People's main issue atm seems to be it's a bit on rails.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chird posted:

I noted some mentions of controllers in the menus. Gave it a wee go, it's got a nice look and runs well. People's main issue atm seems to be it's a bit on rails.

Yeah it does have full controller support

Gets a pretty solid 60fps so far on the Ally so the Steam Deck should run it no problem.

It does look nice I will say that.

Edit : It kinda feels clunky with the controller and I can’t put my finger on why.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 25, 2023

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I love LotR and had heard next to nothing about Return to Moria - is this an EGS exclusive thing?

The reviews are a bit meh but at least it isn't another Gollum. I presume they'll be releasing it on Steam so will wait for that - it looks like it would benefit from Workshop support for mods to smooth out some of the rougher edges.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Return to Moria is probably fun with friends but it’s definitely not balanced for single player yet. I don’t regret the purchase but I definitely feel like it will be a decent game in a few months with patches and bug fixes.

Should have probably known given they didn’t hype it and held the embargo until the last minute, but I like my survival sims and LotR so ya know.

If you’re on the fence id say wait a week or two at least and then see where they’re at.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Saxophone posted:

Return to Moria is probably fun with friends but it’s definitely not balanced for single player yet. I don’t regret the purchase but I definitely feel like it will be a decent game in a few months with patches and bug fixes.

Should have probably known given they didn’t hype it and held the embargo until the last minute, but I like my survival sims and LotR so ya know.

If you’re on the fence id say wait a week or two at least and then see where they’re at.

Have you tried it with a controller?

It just feels off for me for some reason

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Have you tried it with a controller?

It just feels off for me for some reason

Nah I’ve been KBMing it. The controls do still feel a bit stiff. It sort of feels like a 5 year ago game with a more modern varnish controls wise if that makes sense?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Saxophone posted:

Nah I’ve been KBMing it. The controls do still feel a bit stiff. It sort of feels like a 5 year ago game with a more modern varnish controls wise if that makes sense?

Yeah that actually does and that’s probably it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

It just needs more time in the oven I think. Kind of a bummer, but it’s solid enough if not a bit more on rails. I think I was expecting dwarf Valheim.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Saxophone posted:

It just needs more time in the oven I think. Kind of a bummer, but it’s solid enough if not a bit more on rails. I think I was expecting dwarf Valheim.

As far as I can tell there’s no fall damage and the jumping seems really floaty.

Yeah it’s very hand holdy through each biome.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saxophone posted:

When I read the description I was expecting a Moria themed deep rock galactic with a building gimmick

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Azhais posted:

When I read the description I was expecting a Moria themed deep rock galactic with a building gimmick

I really should get around to playing Deeprock. I’m the only weirdo amongst my friends that likes survival buildy base sim type games so

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MarcusSA posted:

As far as I can tell there’s no fall damage and the jumping seems really floaty.

Yeah it’s very hand holdy through each biome.

Oh there's definitely fall damage although you can avoid it with a ledge grab. It also seems to be fall damage of the type where falling a certain distance is survivable and then past a certain point it just does a billion damage to you to be sure you die instantly.

I watched a stream yesterday of a guy who is generally pretty accepting of janky survival games playing it with a few friends, and they didn't like the game all that much (and thought the combat was terrible) but did have some fun loving around and sequence breaking. Seems pretty medicore but the type of thing I might pick up on sale if it gets continued development.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Its worth 15-20 bucks. Definitely not 40. The combat is very rough and definitely feels like it was balanced around 4-8 players.

I’d be tempted to ask for a return at this point but I think it’s been more than 2 hours and this might be the only thing I’ve actually purchased on the epic platform so I don’t know when I’d return.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Saxophone posted:

I really should get around to playing Deeprock. I’m the only weirdo amongst my friends that likes survival buildy base sim type games so

I also played deep rock galactic solo which isn't too bad you get a little drone that will mine difficult to reach places and help fight swarms.

Games like Valheim/7D2D are fun but I really gotta tweak the world settings better to find the nice balance between exciting and carebear difficulty.i find these games easily swerve hard towards either frustratingly difficult or boringly easy.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
At least with Valheim/7D2D there is building to waste time with. I'd particularly have to give the edge to the Valheim building tools for overall creativity, but you can still do neat stuff in 7D2D.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Panfilo posted:

I also played deep rock galactic solo which isn't too bad you get a little drone that will mine difficult to reach places and help fight swarms.

Games like Valheim/7D2D are fun but I really gotta tweak the world settings better to find the nice balance between exciting and carebear difficulty.i find these games easily swerve hard towards either frustratingly difficult or boringly easy.

Bosco rules. Deeprock also does the smart thing of letting you pick difficulty per mission and having a good variety of difficulty levels. So I can play on absolute idiot baby mode if I'm drunk and soloing and just want to dink around and mine stuff, or deadly as gently caress if I'm with an experienced group, or anywhere in between depending on if I'm in the mood for a challenge at that moment or not. Although I recognize that won't work with most true survival games that don't have that kind of mission structure.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Return to Moria is… fine. It’s fine. The controls are floaty and jank, the aesthetic is nice, and progression is pretty on-rails with not much exploring to do in the small biomes I’ve found thus far. The most interesting thing so far has been the alertness gauge popping up in the mines that can trigger a horde if you make too much noise. That got us once before we figured it out. It also both explains a lot and bery little— there’s a few stats I have values for but no idea what they do, like Clank. Meanwhile bringing up your pack screen will helpfully put descriptions below any active buffs/debuffs you have, which is a great feature. It also takes a good while to be able to craft food you can take on the go, and until then you’re limited to meals you eat off the meal table or raw food. And then you get all sorts of portable recipes but also Lembas bread which restores everything to full so why wouldn’t I just make as much Lembas as I can?

I was playing with a friend who was hosting and by the end of our session things were getting real fucky on my end— I couldn’t take finished items out of crafting stations, my food meter was randomly changing, etc. We’ll see if that resolves itself next time we play.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lembas bread making is controlled by a hidden "suspected elf lover" stat where if it gets too high then you get shoehorned into a middling book adaptation starting Martin Freeman.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Lembas bread making is controlled by a hidden "suspected elf lover" stat where if it gets too high then you get shoehorned into a middling book adaptation starting Martin Freeman.

I’m already collecting elf wood and using a loving bow these dwarves are a lost cause.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I can’t remember the last time I’ve done this, but I actually requested a refund on Return to Moria. Maybe in a few months it’ll be in a state worth playing, but I just can’t recommend it right now, it’s rough on too many edges.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
Tried out The Front for a bit and despite messing around for a good while I wasn't able to get the wood triangle wall piece to mirror flip without rotating inside/outside which, unless I'm overlooking somethign dumb, is pretty lmao.

(pardon the poor light)

Also it basically giving you a task to create one of every new thing unlocked is perhaps not the best guidance (and it seemed pretty prone to not register completion of things being crafted in a workstation).

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I'm sure it's been talked about to death but The Long Dark sucked me alllllll the way in. I got it on sale a while back but hadn't played til recently.

The campaign is delightfully crafted, and I genuinely care about every npc I come across (Oh Molly I hope you get away with it). I think the acting is great and importantly... just enough. Like, you can feel the desperation in people's voices, even if their words are jovial, but it's not layed on super thick like a telltale game. Restraint maybe? Acting for sure! And God that Wintermute intro movie fucks hard. Hinterland is good at the emotional writing and that thing is a tearjerker. A+ campaign so far.

The gameplay loop for sandbox is obviously the star of the game, and it's basically perfect. I chose easy for my first game and died constantly. Nowadays, Interloper is a scary hard difficulty level that eschews any sort of hand holding and throws some seriously deadly weather. It's the best way to play now imo

I love every region. Hushed River Valley is my favorite so far, gorgeous and terrifying, with fun side routes and a surprise wolf in an unexpected location. Mystery Lake is just as charming the 100th time as it is the first time. Even Forlorn Muskeg in a blizzard holds a certain charm: I loving love when I get my poo poo kicked in for being an idiot "I'll just stick to the wall what can go wrong hurr". Learning a lesson the hard way is the most divisive thing about the game, and boy does it have me delightfully by the ear, dragging me to get my deserved beating for forgetting my bedroll, again.

For me, TLD might be as good as modded stalker, or even Subnautica. That's no easy task.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
That is not even close to being the most divisive thing about TLD, in fact I’d call that a staple of the genre 😅

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Macichne Leainig posted:

At least with Valheim/7D2D there is building to waste time with. I'd particularly have to give the edge to the Valheim building tools for overall creativity, but you can still do neat stuff in 7D2D.

Valheim has to have my favourite building mechanics cause it's nice not to have to be locked into cube-world and the snap points are great. The added touches like smoke mechanics are really great.

Unfortunately I can never really stick through it enough to get into any mid to late gameplay. No blame on the game cause I'm bad for this in a lot of games, but just found that it didn't feel compelling enough to do have to grind all the potions and whatever to be able to actually get a chance to kill the bosses.

Boat mechanics ofcourse are just some of the best ever given the mechanics having actual wind involved.

Wish there were more engineering stuff but I know that's not the focus of the game.

We really need a Space Engineers but like medieval engineering with pulleys, bridge building and water wheels connected to different gears for grinding flour or bucket chaining water.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Oysters Autobio posted:

Valheim has to have my favourite building mechanics cause it's nice not to have to be locked into cube-world and the snap points are great. The added touches like smoke mechanics are really great.

Unfortunately I can never really stick through it enough to get into any mid to late gameplay. No blame on the game cause I'm bad for this in a lot of games, but just found that it didn't feel compelling enough to do have to grind all the potions and whatever to be able to actually get a chance to kill the bosses.

Boat mechanics ofcourse are just some of the best ever given the mechanics having actual wind involved.

Wish there were more engineering stuff but I know that's not the focus of the game.

We really need a Space Engineers but like medieval engineering with pulleys, bridge building and water wheels connected to different gears for grinding flour or bucket chaining water.

Was medieval engineers not like that? Never tried it.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Speaking of building mechanics, I recently decided to finally try out Pissgame (Urge) and good god why does it have such a permissive building system (I wouldn't call it good yet, it's extremely finicky and took a bit to grok), in a way I've not actually seen done much before in the genre either. You can just, do whatever the gently caress you like, any drat angle in any drat way, and every building piece is dynamically sized, including doors. I accidently built a door wrong so that it hinged on the top and swung out. And it let's you build on vehicles, so you can madmaxify any car or build a mobile base.

The dev has a video that explains it much better than I can at least:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2InzzxWbzI
Genuinely the doors are impressive, you can just slam a door down anywhere you want, your own builds or pre-existing structures, and have it fit flushly.

But it is also one of the most... mildly disconcerting? games I've ever played, honestly. A friend put it as "They somehow managed to make a world of wooden buildings and carpet and cars all give off the same vibe as yellowed plastic from 1980s computers". The most recent update teaser captures the games whole Vibe pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CNOCmA4BpE

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

lordfrikk posted:

That is not even close to being the most divisive thing about TLD, in fact I’d call that a staple of the genre 😅

OK. Wasn't told you were the opinion decider here. Thanks for deciding my opinion even harder now. I've dug in and will not be swayed by whatever your little opinion is.

What genre is this anyway? Permadeath loot gatherer walking sim? It loving owns and I need more.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

RandomBlue posted:

I want to be the most realistically wet possible in a video game.

Subnautica thread is right over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Panfilo posted:

Yea i set 7days up so casual play won't get me killed but i can still die if i'm not prepared or careful. Thats how i try to set up every survival game.

Neebs gaming did a brief ark ascension video and its, well, Ark but better graphics from what it looks like. Though 45 min isn't good amount of time to delve deep but it does mean you can jump in and know the basics of survival.