Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

steinrokkan posted:

Pretty much nobody attacked just because of honor or whatever as the movie depicted

I haven't seen the movie and I have no idea what it claims, but people certainly were hungry for more blood and probably personal glory, having arrived to the war late, and determined to pull off idiotic last minute assaults right until the Armistice.

There could have been valid military reasons for some of these attacks, and you are of course right in saying that nobody back then knew that the Armistice would mean the end of the war, even though it was obvious the Germans were truly broken and in a full rout. But when Peter Hart calls something "entirely pointless", I trust that he is judging it from the evidence available at the time.

Peter Hart: The Last Battle posted:

There was a wide variety of reactions to the possibility of peace. Many craved it, but a few still seemed to want to have their fill of killing before it was all over. Perhaps this was more common in the artillery, where they killed their opponents at a distance, over the horizon and not up close and personal, as was so often the case for the infantry.

A Bosche prisoner I spoke to yesterday told me that they all expected the war to be over in seven days. What we must do is bomb Berlin and all big towns in Germany both day and night. That will bring them to their senses quicker than anything. Meantime we will have a glorious time smashing him up – some of the finest times of my life. It’s glorious to be in at the death – so to speak.
Second Lieutenant Charles Bennett, 162nd Brigade Royal Field Artillery, 33rd Division

THE WAR WAS WON, but the final moments were tense as the clock ticked down slowly to 11.00 on Monday 11 November. On the Meuse front, in accordance with the uncompromising views of General Pershing, the Americans had ordered a far more aggressive approach to operations in the last few hours. However, Major General William Wright of 89th Division was greatly worried at the thought of risking unnecessary casualties by launching a questionable crossing of the Meuse, especially amidst the rumours that the Armistice might be close. The Meuse had already been crossed and large bridgeheads previously established owing to the efforts of the 5th and 32nd Divisions. There seemed to be no military need for additional bridgeheads. However, orders were orders. Wright did at least try his best to reduce the potential for mass casualties.

Received notice that the 90th Division was coming up the Meuse on the right; they crossed yesterday in the vicinity of Ville Franche. This relieves the situation very materially, and I think that the plans for the crossing at Pouilly and vicinity should be cut out and the entire division should cross at Stenay and exploit northward in liaison with the Ninetieth. The more I think the plan over the better it seems to me. In the afternoon, General Summerall came in and I told him that I was apprehensive about this evening’s work, and that I recommended the postponement of the entire movement and the concentration of the division in the vicinity of Stenay with a view of crossing there and exploiting to the north and opening up the country for the 2nd Division to cross. He said he thought this plan was the best one also, but that he had received his orders to cross and he must do it. He left saying that he thought everything was well arranged and would go all right.4
Major General William Wright, Headquarters, 89th Division

On the evening of 10 November, Wright began to hear news that the end of the war was very imminent. It was too late. The offensive would proceed as planned.

We got a radio flash to the effect that Germany had accepted the terms of an Armistice as laid down by General Foch. About this time I heard the guns of my attack commencing to fire. This news may be a Bosche trick. I have received no statement from higher authority to that effect as yet. This at 9.10 pm.5

I consider the forcing of the crossing and the manoeuvre afterwards to have been very successful, and accomplished our purpose in the face of opposition with small losses. The entire division is crossed, or can be crossed, and we have taken our objectives. At 8.45 word was received that an Armistice had been signed and would take effect at 11 o’clock. I directed Colonel Lee to keep up the fighting until that time and that it would stop exactly at 11 o’clock and the men would dig in on the ground they occupied and that absolutely no communication with the Bosche under any circumstances or on any subject would be permitted, nor would there be any hilarity, or demonstration on the part of my troops.7

Several shells were bursting on the west bank by this time. One rickety footbridge had been erected, but it was considered that a second was required, to at least split the focus of any German machine-gun fire, and give the Marines at least some chance of crossing unscathed. When the second bridge was delayed and with daylight fast approaching, it was decided to abandon the crossing – much to the relief of almost everyone. They were not so fortunate at the 5th Marines’ crossing of the Meuse at Letanne which went ahead as planned.

We moved down a deep ravine towards the river. In this we halted and sheltered by a hillside we waited till our own artillery opened up. ‘Fritzy’ started to retaliate with shells and machine guns with it seems some success. Protected by a heavy mist and smoke screen the 2nd Engineers succeeded in putting a pontoon bridge across. Our company emerged from the ravine, crossed the bridge in single file. Because of the mist Heinie’s flare lights were of no avail and in spite of a sweeping machine-gun fire I got across. All night we marched along the river bank – now dropping behind the high bank as protection from a withering machine-gun fire then taking up the advance again until halted by a renewal of the fire. By daylight we halted, dug in, and tried to rest a little – our battalion had become separated and any German counter-attack was expected. After an hour’s sleep I was called out to stand watch at a position on our right flank where we had set up a German Maxim. While I was still on this post – carefully looking for some sign of Germans ahead, I noted that the artillery had ceased firing – not a gun was being fired. Everything had become quiet.9
Private Harold Strickler, 2/5th Marines, 4th Marine Brigade, 2nd Division

This entirely pointless operation cost several casualties.

The Americans involved in such bouts of last-minute fighting were affected by a complex array of emotions. Many simply did not know how to respond in this strangest of circumstances. Vicious fighting would be replaced by peace at the stroke of 11 o’clock – an arbitrary moment in time that could mean life or death to individuals. Unquestionably, Major General William Haan of the 32nd Division was enthusiastic about committing his troops to squeeze in one last battle before peace.

Yesterday we pounded them all day, driving them back everywhere. But they fought like the very devil still – had a new Division in front of us and parts of two other Divisions, but we punched them. This morning we resumed the attack at 6.30 which we had stopped last night after dark. At 7 we received orders to stop the battle. That was some job, too. We got it stopped entirely at 10.45, just fifteen minutes before the Armistice went into effect. One of my chaplains was killed at 10.40. Hard luck!10
Major General William Haan, Headquarters, 32nd Division

Despite the activities of the more bellicose American generals, there were quieter sectors on the front where many of the ‘Doughboys’ had time to think, to try and put in context their experiences.

And then finally there's this genius.

Peter Hart, The Last Battle posted:

One more man at least was to die in the very last minute of the war. Private Henry Gunther of 1/313rd Regiment in the 79th Division was advancing with his company towards a pair of German machine guns in the village of Chaumont devant Damvillers. Ignoring explicit orders from his sergeant, Gunther made a solo bayonet charge. As he approached, the German soldiers, who seemed well aware of the time, were unwilling to fire and indeed shouted out and tried to wave him away – all to no avail. When Gunther15 started shooting he was cut down with a short burst of machine-gun fire. He was reputedly the last American soldier to die in action during the Great War.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speaking of fires, is there any risk of the coal slag heap being flammable?

Extremely unlikely. It's waste from coal processing, so the stuff that wouldn't burn easily mixed with solid waste/rubble.

(If it is slag as I understand it)

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

quote:

BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — Prime Minister Viktor Orbán compared Hungary’s membership in the European Union to more than four decades of Soviet occupation of his country during a speech on Monday commemorating the anniversary of Hungary’s 1956 anti-Soviet revolution.

https://apnews.com/article/hungary-orban-compares-eu-to-soviet-union-da27ae5e15df87712422a567ceac7e9b

I mean, you can leave anytime you want. There even is a precedent. I promise Brussels won't dispatch tanks to Budapest.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

lol what a loving pisshound

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Translated comments on UA forces that crossed Dnieper by RU military reporter. I wonder what's going on in there, there weren't news from around Tokmak recently.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1716782302359920879

Putin administration tells pro-government media not to report on crimes committed by returning soldiers :tif:

https://twitter.com/meduza_en/status/1716790778939203634

deranged Cheeto Marge says Russia must take Odesa because she saw male thighs

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1716753995476185096

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I think the chemical that makes you stupid is in the orange paint

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1716749509445746996

Russian MP Andrei Gurulyov says that Finland is being turned into a "second Ukraine" and claims that Finns increasingly have territorial claims on Petrozavodsk

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

bad_fmr posted:

Russian MP Andrei Gurulyov says that Finland is being turned into a "second Ukraine" and claims that Finns increasingly have territorial claims on Petrozavodsk

Translation, as always, is: some Russian decision makers would like to turn Finland into a second Ukraine, and they also have territorial claims on parts of Finland

The formerly Finnish areas which were lost to Stalin have been a part of Russia for about 80 years now, absolutely no one in the actual grown-up government on the Finnish side even thinks about reclaiming them back or whatever the hell

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jaete posted:

Translation, as always, is: some Russian decision makers would like to turn Finland into a second Ukraine, and they also have territorial claims on parts of Finland

The formerly Finnish areas which were lost to Stalin have been a part of Russia for about 80 years now, absolutely no one in the actual grown-up government on the Finnish side even thinks about reclaiming them back or whatever the hell

IMO Finland has very legitimate security concerns and should get little a buffer area, as a treat.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's mostly because those areas have been mismanaged by russians for 80 years so even if we got them for free by the russians, it'd be a huge punch in the balls to have to deal with that expensive mess.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

bad_fmr posted:

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1716749509445746996

Yeah we definitely do, huge claims. Massive claims.

Uhh, on a completely unrelated topic... what the gently caress is a Petrozavodsk?

E:

Petroskoi? The MFer is talking about Karelia? :laffo: "Reclaim Karelia" has been a loving meme since the 80s, and over the past couple of decades even the most unhinged alt righters have moved on. Literally nobody wants that place back after the Soviets and Russians have been "taking care of it" for 80 years.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 24, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jaete posted:

Finland absolutely doesn't have a grown-up government at the moment.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dwesa posted:

Did she go on pilgrimage to Dune recently?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's mostly because those areas have been mismanaged by russians for 80 years so even if we got them for free by the russians, it'd be a huge punch in the balls to have to deal with that expensive mess.

Just make it a nature preserve or something :shrug:

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Just Another Lurker posted:

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Dwesa posted:

lol she found her kink

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

same supplier as comrade Donald.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
She looks more like someone went wild with the picture settings. Pointed a remote at her and clicked vivid mode.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jimlit posted:

lol she found her kink

She looks like a villainess from a Wes Anderson film.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

CommieGIR posted:

She looks like a group of Oompa Loompas ran a train on her.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

It is alcoholism alone that sets my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of St Tropez that thoughts of thighs and buttocks arise, that my skin acquires stains, the stains become a warning.
It is alcoholism alone that sets my mind in motion.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cyka Blyat, Cyka Blyat!
One of us, One of us!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CommieGIR posted:

no dutch angles or head tilts allowed

only symmetry and horizons

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They're afraid of cuckoos.

I'm pretty sure most of the people shooting at each other could instead sing about cuckoos together:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ercEgwN-J3s

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I hear putin suffered a cardiac event, and they brought him back???? like what the hell man?????

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1716898314778808342#m
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1716900077481107938#m

There is no panic in Crimea.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

crispix posted:

lovely bang bang lovely lovely bang bang :sax: :drum:

General Boo-poo poo > Ukraine War: lovely bang bang lovely lovely bang bang

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Russians planted a flag on the slag heap and Ukrainians hit it with a drone

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1716915836164968824

I think the news of slag heap being taken were overstated by Russian sources, like always

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

A flag was placed on the slag heap this day. Truly Russia's own Mr. Suribachi moment

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Bit like Bakhmut being taken months before it actually was

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Liquid Chicken posted:

She looks like a group of Oompa Loompas ran a train on her.

Now there's a mental image I could have done without

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

HonorableTB posted:

They lost how many thousands of men and how many hundreds of armored vehicles and how many aircraft did Russia lose to take a toxic industrial waste mountain?

No wonder putin had a heart attack

Come to think of it, how the hell has no one made a Bandini Mountain reference yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afSKGTxm_ZA

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/no-heart-attack-no-body-doubles-kremlin-denies-rumours-about-vladimir-putin-20231025-p5eert.html

Kremlin denies Putin heart attack and uses body doubles

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
So he's been a corpse for at least 24 hours and theyre killing all his body doubles, right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

HonorableTB posted:

So he's been a corpse for at least 24 hours and theyre killing all his body doubles, right?

More or less amuses me because "It isnt true unless the Kremlin denies it"

(It most certainly is bullshit most likely)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Dwesa posted:

Russians planted a flag on the slag heap and Ukrainians hit it with a drone

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1716915836164968824

I think the news of slag heap being taken were overstated by Russian sources, like always

:hmmyes:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

gently caress I never thought about how it would go down with the doubles

Putin’s gonna be alive for at least a few days after he dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It turns out one of the doubles died

And then Putin stands down the military and invites the UN to oversee free and fair elections???