Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

dbacks moneyline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Bryce better have Sketchers cleats to complete the look.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Bryce taunting Paul Sewald with the Too Small gesture after hitting a single in the 9th down 7-2

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Poque posted:

noted winners Pat Beverley and the 76ers

lmao

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm sure there's a Dodgers one for Yordan too

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

that one's somehow better and worse

They clearly only signed Yordan to do the Astros a favor by cheating international free agency spending caps, intending all along to trade him to Houston (he was traded 1.5 months after signing).

Why on earth they thought it was smart to help a front office like that skirt the rules is the real mystery of it all.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Favor trading is practically all executives do all day

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
All the stories I've seen say that the Astros asked for Y. Alvarez in exchange for Fields and the Dodgers said no because they thought the Astros wanted Yadier Alvarez then after that was cleared up the Dodgers were happy to make the trade

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

another curse has hit the mlb playoffs

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1716662041828524270
the kiss of death

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
please Ted, Dallas plays with the basketball rings. Get it right

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/760218623940042753

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i'm prepared for a phils meltdown tonight. got my reaction pic bookmarked and everything

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bawfuls posted:

They clearly only signed Yordan to do the Astros a favor by cheating international free agency spending caps, intending all along to trade him to Houston (he was traded 1.5 months after signing).

Why on earth they thought it was smart to help a front office like that skirt the rules is the real mystery of it all.

Because the Dodgers are an FO like that - ruthlessly efficient and data driven.

You see the similarities between the franchises right?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

bawfuls posted:

They wanted Houston to throw in two Rubbermaids and a buzzer

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
I am 100% talking out of my rear end (I don't think there's a shred of substantive evidence), but I have become convinced the Twins let the Reds use their 2021 pick on Chase Petty, with an under the table agreement of later trading him for a starter (probably Gray specifically). Petty was very much against their type, the Twins' need for a starter the next season was obvious, and they matched up well in terms of where they were in their competitive windows. It may seem outlandish, but it would be akin to trading a 1st round pick in other sports.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

All the stories I've seen say that the Astros asked for Y. Alvarez in exchange for Fields and the Dodgers said no because they thought the Astros wanted Yadier Alvarez then after that was cleared up the Dodgers were happy to make the trade
That is not what I've read and it doesn't pass the smell test. What team would sign an international FA and then trade him 6 weeks later for a rental bullpen arm? That's the kind of thing a flailing franchise with no long term vision or process does. A team with stable front office leadership signs IFA guys for a reason and doesn't sour on them 6 weeks later.

They helped Lunhow skirt the rules and it bit them in the rear end.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
we need to consult the Dodgers crimes.xls to be sure

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

That is not what I've read and it doesn't pass the smell test. What team would sign an international FA and then trade him 6 weeks later for a rental bullpen arm? That's the kind of thing a flailing franchise with no long term vision or process does. A team with stable front office leadership signs IFA guys for a reason and doesn't sour on them 6 weeks later.

“Looking back on it now,” Friedman said recently with a rueful smile earlier, “we obviously wish we would have said yes to other names they asked for before him. It’s pretty special watching what he’s doing in the batter’s box.”

“We signed him the day before the period ended,” Friedman said. “And it was more because we were about to be cut out of big-ticket signings. Ironically, the big question in the industry at that time was about the power. Which, I’m not sure how that was the question.”

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-news...ros/2019/10/27/

I think I'll take Andrew Friedmans word

e: actually I should have linked the LA Times article they pulled those quotes from instead

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-yordan-alvarez-dodgers-cuban-signings-mistakes-astros-20190706-story.html

e2: oof this is the playoff n/v thread not the offseason one, I'll take this there if it continues

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 25, 2023

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

If the Phillies lose tonight, it'll be by several runs and it'll be Rob Thomson's fault because he's a garbage manager

Hopefully the city burns down after

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

triple sulk posted:

If the Phillies lose tonight, it'll be by several runs and it'll be Rob Thomson's fault because he's a garbage manager

No it's not it's because Ketel Marte, Corbin Carroll, and funball

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm not sure it's Thomson's fault Craig Kimbrel is his closer

but I mean, I guess it could be

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

thomson could just not use him as the closer if he wanted

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

yeah when to use which bullpen arm is one of the things Thompson has the MOST control over

perhaps using him last night (when they were already down several runs) is a sign that Thompson doesn't trust him anymore and wanted to save other guys for tonight

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

triple sulk posted:

I saw Rob Thomas and wondered how a post could fail to be this smooth

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

bawfuls posted:

the only solution is to immediately declare yordan a free agent imo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Is an 84 win team in the world series good or bad? I think it's bad.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

going back in time to place $20k on a Rangers/Diamondbacks world series

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I cannot loving believe the 2023 Arizona Diamondbacks are going to the world series

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Is an 84 win team in the world series good or bad? I think it's bad.
not as bad as a negative run differential team in the world series

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

chaos ball reigns supreme

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Baseball could have had a rematch of the perfect world series between two perfect cities and franchises that everyone loves and instead we get this.

Smdh.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Sab0921 posted:

Baseball could have had a rematch of the perfect world series between two perfect cities and franchises that everyone loves and instead we get this.

Smdh.

yeah I'd watch a repeat of 1992 with a potentially different result

edit wait I meant 1996

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Smdh.
they didn't expand the postseason field enough for the Yankees to qualify and face the Dodgers tho

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Very happy for the Seattle Diamondbacks of Paul Sewald, Corbin Carroll, and Ketel Marte. Go D-backs.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Go, in the following order:
  1. Phillies
  2. Twins
  3. Orioles
  4. Blue Jays
  5. Diamondbacks
  6. Rays
  7. Rangers
  8. Dodgers
  9. Braves
  10. Marlins
  11. Astros
  12. Brewers

Pretty friggin mediocre, but I'll take it

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am not going to be thinking all night about how a hot team with a crummy regular season is going to the world series as i ponder my favorite mediocre baseball team the Chicago Cubs

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

they didn't expand the postseason field enough for the Yankees to qualify and face the Dodgers tho

This is frankly disgusting.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/SamBlum3/status/1717018826846490911

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
fox execs in shambles