Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s a somewhat wide street but still a two lane. There was even a car to my right parked on the street. I had my blinker on and was slowed down because the mail lady was walking through my driveway. I’d cut a little wide because the trash cans were on either side of my driveway, but this is a residential street that’s also a school zone. She was going to the school to pick up her kid.

She told my insurance that I “changed lanes and hit her”.

The neighbor has a ring cam and sent me the video:

https://i.imgur.com/8U0i98k.mp4

I asked her why she was going so fast and passing me on the right when there’s cars parked and I had my blinker on. She started screaming at me, called me a retarded n-word.

The USPS lady said she saw all of it and would give a statement and the other lady quieted down after that.

I keep waiting for this to happen to me. There are folks who decide to speed down my street as a bit of a shortcut and some do not get happy when I slow down and signal to turn into my driveway. I feel you on this and am glad you had the video to back it up. I assume my doorbell cam would also help should I face a similar situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I am going to defend Joey here. He does open up the other way but it’s not bizarre and we are all conditioned to do that for most turns unless we are driving very swift and tiny rally cars. That lady completely hosed up and tried to just recklessly pass him, she deserves to have her license revoked and thrown in jail. The kid can go to a foster home.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Joey Freshwater posted:

So I talked to my adjuster again after she watched the video. She said the other person is 100% at fault and denied her claim. Per Georgia law she has to yield to right of way, which was mine. Didn’t matter if my blinker was on or if I was stopped in the middle of the road, she passed me on a two lane road on the right.

My adjuster also said the lady told her that I changed lanes and turned into her and that she slammed on her brakes and honked but I kept going. You can clearly see none of that happened.

Thanks y’all. I’ve had a poo poo week and this just piles on. My sister had to put her 13 year old dog down. We were also supposed to take our dogs down to the beach this weekend and I don’t think that’s happening now. The dogs won’t fit in the gf’s car.

e; I know it doesn’t look like much but my alignment is all hosed up and when I turn the car on the dash lights up because all the sensors for emergency breaking, proximity etc are all in the front bumper. It’s also making a weird noise coming from that side that I can’t figure out when I drive it. I don’t feel safe driving it 5hrs.

There's no excuse for passing on the right on a two way street and the lying makes it even more ridiculous, so get all the cash you can. Can't think of any state that would allow you to pass on the right in similar circumstances. Waiting for you to park would have added like 10 seconds to her commute what the gently caress is wrong with people anymore.

Unrelated but your car looks like the same one my partner has (Mazda RX...something).

pmchem posted:

yeah, that's a bizarrely wide turn. I could see someone assuming you were parking on the your left hand side of the street. I mean you literally did change lanes and hit her.

but, you signaled

It being a wide turn literally does not matter. It's also not bizarre because cars keep getting bigger leading to a wider turning radius, the view is obstructed, and the turn was signaled. What if it were a situation where he was looking to back into his driveway? She likely would have sped to the other side rather than waiting a few seconds to let someone park. He didn't hit her, she hit him because you cannot pass on the right on a two way street like that. There's no excuse for the other driver's actions at all.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 24, 2023

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For some people a few seconds of their time is literally more important than the other person's life. I've had the unfortunate experience of dating people like this and once you realize that level of selfishness exists you have to leave that person

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I think the fisheye of the camera is adding to the perspective of it but I did turn a little wide because of the trash cans on the corners of the driveway. The blue one was covering a bit of the corner I usually swing across when pulling in. So yeah I swung a bit wide but she passed me on the right on a two lane road and who the hell does that

Hot Diggity! posted:

Unrelated but your car looks like the same one my partner has (Mazda RX...something).

It is! It’s a CX-5 and I love it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

That kid is going to be a 90's singularity.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The only time you'd be at fault for a wide turn is if your wide turn sends you into another lane going opposite where a car is coming and you hit them. That's clearly not what happened here, and yeah, in that kind of road, someone should be following behind and brake like a normal loving human being when someone starts turning. Glad the insurance adjuster saw that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

It is! It’s a CX-5 and I love it.

I test drove one of those and hated it but in it's defense the reason I hated it could be something I didn't know how to turn off but it did that thing where you let off the gas and it doesn't just coast freely, it drags like you have the parking brake on. I think some cars do this to conserve gas? But gently caress that it's a dealbreaker

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

She started screaming at me, called me a retarded n-word.

What the gently caress?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

I test drove one of those and hated it but in it's defense the reason I hated it could be something I didn't know how to turn off but it did that thing where you let off the gas and it doesn't just coast freely, it drags like you have the parking brake on. I think some cars do this to conserve gas? But gently caress that it's a dealbreaker

That’s weird, I’ve never noticed that. I tend to take my foot off the gas and coast especially if I’m going downhill and can’t recall that happening. Surely that’s something you could turn off in the settings?

I remember when I first got it, there’s a setting that will pull the car back into a lane on the highway if you drift. I hated it because it felt like it would over correct. I changed it to where the steering wheel kind of vibrates like you’re running over those ridges on the side of the road and it works much better.

LeeMajors posted:

What the gently caress?

Yeah honestly she said that and I had no idea how to respond. You can’t hear it in the longer video from the nest because she was further down the street, but idk what I’d do with it even if you could.

All around just a super bizarre scenario.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

It says Michael Stipe officiated and is Frances Cobain's godfather.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
she's clearly trying to zip by to send some kind of message out of annoyance that Joey slowed down, I see people do that all the time when they don't like that someone slowed down

I back into my driveway 100% of the time so I keep waiting for someone to get pissed waiting for me, but I live on a road with no outlet so thankfully it hasn't been an issue

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Stainless steel counter tops? You’re a few steps away from sleeping in bunk beds. Feels like a halfway house would have steel countertops.

But then again I’d have said red cabinets would be awful and I actually liked the color so who knows

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't really like butcher block or concrete either even if they're trendy. Quartz for me all the way every time

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The trick is to have the working kitchen with your stainless steel countertops tucked away somewhere so the help can toil away back there, while your show kitchen is kept in pristine condition

e: I did something to my wrist on Friday while climbing and I’m desperately trying to rehab it. We are flying to Vegas tomorrow for a guided Red Rock Canyon climbing trip on Thursday. If I’m at like 70-80% I’m just going to tape it to hell and take some ibuprofen. I just watched Trevor Lawrence run all over the Saints with a sprained knee and I’m basically a trained professional athlete with access to top doctors, right?

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 24, 2023

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Yesterday I was listening to Conan O'Brian interviewing Dave, Kris, and the producer of In Utero. For the 30th anniversary of In Utero. 30 years since the FOLLOWUP to Nevermind.

:corsair:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I didn't get to go to our INTL conference in Mexico City because I got Covid.

Some of my coworkers just got back and they told me they were in an Uber and someone tried to carjack it. Tried to open the driver door and when it was locked starting hitting the window with a pipe that somehow didn't break it. The driver managed to get out of bumper to bumper traffic and fled with my coworkers in the car.

yikes. I'm glad I was not there for that.

Next year is in Berlin though and I'm not missing that for the world.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Someone in this thread, probably Leperflesh, once said they want stainless steel countertops in their kitchen and I haven’t stopped thinking about such an incredible move

I absolutely did say that and I'm glad it's had an effect!

As a woodworker I love the look of "butcher block" (endgrain) but I would never, ever want wooden countertops of any kind. They'll scorch from anything hot, they'll absorb water and swell and get scratched up unless you coat them with a very thick layer of totally impervious epoxy, and if you do that they're no longer functioning as a butcher block. A movable actual butcher block in the kitchen is cool, but it's gonna look like this after a while:

And that's not what people usually want for their countertops.

Designers like quartz or granite or whatever, and those are very pretty, and fairly durable, but relatively expensive. Concrete is also an option. They're all very heavy, all need some level of maintenance, and all will eventually look dated IMO.

Stainless steel is highly practical, durable, can be repaired, far lighter than any of the other options, and the most sterile. I think it's the best option for a kitchen from a practical view. Dunno how much it costs, dunno if I can convince my wife to do it. But it's what I want because I want my kitchen to be maximally functional and I don't give a gently caress about aesthetics.

That said there are totally "designer" stainless steel kitchens.

I'm not promoting this style, I don't care for these necessarily, just... stainless steel doesn't have to look like an institutional or restaurant kitchen.

e. I don't mind this one

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 24, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

CannonFodder posted:

Yesterday I was listening to Conan O'Brian interviewing Dave, Kris, and the producer of In Utero. For the 30th anniversary of In Utero. 30 years since the FOLLOWUP to Nevermind.

:corsair:

Steve Albini?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It doesn’t have to. It simply.. does. Even in those pictures. Not for me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

here you go, rustic with stainless AND a grotty old definitely recycled butcher block segment

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Not gonna lie that looks pretty cool

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Absurdly, copper would also work. It's actively sterile! However, it will tarnish and corrode, and I'm not sure I'd be OK with a corroded countertop.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

Absurdly, copper would also work. It's actively sterile! However, it will tarnish and corrode, and I'm not sure I'd be OK with a corroded countertop.

Is it still actively sterile? I wouldn't mind a countertop the same color as the Statue of Liberty.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Air Skwirl posted:

Is it still actively sterile? I wouldn't mind a countertop the same color as the Statue of Liberty.

If it’s good enough for an IUD, it’s good enough to prepare food on.

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022

swickles posted:

Wife has never been to NYC and wants to see Chinatown, but I haven't been in over 20 years. Any thoughts/recs on places to eat there? Anything else we should do?

You should go to the Met

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

time to get out the glue and the pre-1982 pennies

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Like, sterility isn't the only concern, I'm not sure it's a good idea to eat various copper compounds. Some are toxic, but I don't know whether those get generated in a kitchen environment.

But copper murders germs.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3067274/

e.

quote:

Treatments that lowered corrosion rates, e.g., application of corrosion inhibitors or a thick copper oxide layer, lowered the antimicrobial effectiveness of copper surfaces (9).

So yeah you gotta keep the copper bright via mechanical action like sanding or something, I think.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Joey that sucks rear end, sorry for your CX-5. My wife loves hers, and I like it well enough when I drive her car. Even going into the middle a bit, it's 100% on her. You need to buy the neighbor with that ring a nice bottle of whiskey or something.

Air Skwirl posted:

It would be cool if it evenly oxidized, but on a surface that gets used it would be uneven with wear spots and places that get dripped on going quicker.

There are appliances in black stainless steel now, I would like to see how a countertop looks with that. Either way, I could see standard stainless on an island or something.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Wouldn't those stainless steel counters be scratched to poo poo in like 4 seconds? Also possibly dented?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

wandler20 posted:

Wouldn't those stainless steel counters be scratched to poo poo in like 4 seconds? Also possibly dented?

You're used to seeing it as a super thin piece of stainless that's a borderline foil on another surface. On its own it's harder (higher on the Moh's scale) than copper, aluminum, marble, and glass. When it's an actual piece of stainless it would be solid.

vvvv :hfive:

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 25, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stainless steel is pretty hard. Are your stainless steel fridge, oven, pans, etc. scratched to poo poo? I think a brushed steel look is nicer than a bright polished look anyway. Dented is a function of material thickness basically, and you'd want a pretty thick gauge for countertops.

e. yeah, what he said. We make knives out of the stuff, it's pretty hard!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

MaximilianK posted:

You should go to the Met

If you can't get to the Met, MoMA is amazing.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Imagine not having a countertop made from a billet of precision ground tool steel

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Android Apocalypse posted:

If you can't get to the Met, MoMA is amazing.

Yeah, MoMA is second for me to the natural history museum, in particular its mineral floor. Getting to touch just about every meteorite in the meteorite room was so cool.

Wicked on Broadway was a lot of fun when we saw it a year ago.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Blowjob Overtime posted:

You're used to seeing it as a super thin piece of stainless that's a borderline foil on another surface. On its own it's harder (higher on the Moh's scale) than copper, aluminum, marble, and glass. When it's an actual piece of stainless it would be solid.

vvvv :hfive:

Ah yeah that makes sense, just didn't register with me. My cooktop has a 24" griddle in the middle and it's about 1/2" stainless steel. It's heavy as gently caress.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Why don't they just make the entire kitchen out of the black box cast iron?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

here you go, rustic with stainless AND a grotty old definitely recycled butcher block segment

Holy poo poo now this.... this I like

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Shrimpy posted:

Why don't they just make the entire kitchen out of the black box cast iron?

Whoops burned down the house seasoning my kitchen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

most of the homes I've been in while living in Japan (either my own or others') have had stainless steel sinks, or cheaper steel sinks. Seems to work pretty well. Some places had some stainless as part of countertops, most have some kind of plastic compound (our old place did). The place we bought has granite/marble/something along those lines, which definitely was a sign that the materials used for this building* were a step above average.

*now 9-year-old tower, built by a major developer, so I'm guessing even the baseline for materials in this place are pretty good.

beyond the wall what is magnetic in the kitchen, the other fun trick I liked was how efficient the storage was designed to be - the panel just below the countertop against the sink is a narrow spot and you can't store much there, right? Well that's where a fold-down knife rack lives. Pretty smart. (The cabinet starts below sink level)