Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

codo27 posted:

I assume you're in some tiny apartment or something? That's the only excuse for a soundbar

We picked up the Samsung HW-Q950A almost two years ago before the price went to the moon and it's fine :confused: has an 8" subwoofer which is nice. Wife and kiddo were out of town got to watch all of Band of Brothers on netflix with it at the correct volume, was convincingly loud enough for WW2 tank battle stuff. Plus I don't have to place/manage giant floor speakers, reciever, second remote etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

codo27 posted:

I assume you're in some tiny apartment or something? That's the only excuse for a soundbar

The TV is specifically in a tiny room that is only meant really for gaming (which often times I will have a headset for). My downstairs is soon to be replaced with a big ust projector and it has surround sound with a massive sub.

I just want something that has decent bass and sounds quality over the TVs built in.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kwolok posted:

I just want something that has decent bass and sounds quality over the TVs built in.

Get a pair of powered Edifiers or something, soundbars are incapable of bass with their tiny drivers and plastic “subwoofers”. There are almost ok sounding soundbars but they’re the expensive ones [like $500+].

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Kwolok posted:

The TV is specifically in a tiny room that is only meant really for gaming (which often times I will have a headset for). My downstairs is soon to be replaced with a big ust projector and it has surround sound with a massive sub.

If you don’t need a dedicated subwoofer, the Bose Soundbar 700 and 900 are on sale and sound great for what they are. Bass isn’t impactful, but it is present. Refurbs can bring the price down even more.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Thanks but I already pulled the trigger on the HW-S60B. I figure if the bass is too absent in this sound bar I'll add a w510 subwoofer to it. Maybe this is a mistake but I guess we'll find out.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I can confirm the soundbar itself has little to no bass. So I am getting that subwoofer I mentioned. The rest of the frequencies sound pretty great though for that price point imo.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Costco used to sell these Vizio soundbars that seemed to be on sale every black friday. They had a wireless subwoofer that the surround left/right speakers plug into.

While I don't think it's the best thing, it sounds good enough for a sound bar that I bought a second one for the other TV in the house. And my family was driving me crazy with not knowing how to switch the inputs on the audio receiver

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations on the light strip backlights that sync to the action on the TV via an HDMI box? The Phillips product is very expensive, and the cheaper stuff on Amazon seems super scammy!

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-us/explore-hue/propositions/entertainment/sync-with-home-theater
This is the product, to be clear.

Thanks!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LRADIKAL posted:

Any recommendations on the light strip backlights that sync to the action on the TV via an HDMI box? The Phillips product is very expensive, and the cheaper stuff on Amazon seems super scammy!

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-us/explore-hue/propositions/entertainment/sync-with-home-theater
This is the product, to be clear.

Thanks!

I think Sync is probably the only one that's inline (aka analyzing the actual signal from the HDMI), the rest rely on a camera pointed at the screen.

This is a newer one that got decent reviews from Gizmodo.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nanole...source=narrativ

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
A bunch of the Amazon ones are HDMI passthroughs, but i don't really trust them. This camera looks a little dumb, but if it works with low latency, I'm in. So cool!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Got my OLED TV today only to see there is a big obvious scratch on the screen while I was unpacking it :argh:. In retrospect it looked like something pointy punched through the box so I am guessing it was an accident in the warehouse or the truck. Sort of wish that I thought to refuse the delivery then and there but I guess I did not think too much of it at the time.

Going to Best Buy to arrange the return-exchange tomorrow. Still hoping I would have it in time for Mario Wonder and Spider-man 2. 

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Picked this up today. Saw it drop in price for $700 to $632. Had Best Buy price match it. Should also be good to price match further through Black Friday in case it drops even more.

TCL 65-Inch Q7 QLED 4K Smart TV with Google TV (65Q750G, 2023 Model) Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, HDR Ultra, 120Hz, Game Accelerator up to 240Hz, Voice Remote, Works with Alexa, Streaming UHD Television https://a.co/d/7KbyMUE

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Anyone have recommendations for universal remotes? My current one doesn’t have a mute button for the eardrum shattering commercials on Paramount+, so I’m looking to get something that does.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Klungar posted:

Anyone have recommendations for universal remotes? My current one doesn’t have a mute button for the eardrum shattering commercials on Paramount+, so I’m looking to get something that does.
I can only imagine that Logitech has some spicy patents, because I can't come up with any other reason that no one else has really gone after the high-end user-programmable universal remote market to fill the gap between people who are happy with CEC or bundled universal remotes and the people who are willing to pay for some "professional installer" to configure a commercial automation system.

Sofabaton is the closest, but I've had an X1 for years and still haven't managed to get it to feel as good as my Harmony 665. Hell, I wouldn't have even given up my 880 if it weren't for key buttons wearing out. The SB device is fine for controlling multiple individual devices, especially with the Bluetooth support that works with every TV stick I've tried it on, but it still feels like a 1990s era universal remote switching modes instead of the integrated experience of Harmony.

One of those "when I have time" projects in my head is to hook some IR LEDs and an e-ink display to one of my random microcontrollers and try to build a DIY universal remote that works like a Harmony, but obviously that's a lot easier said than done.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 18, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

wolrah posted:

I can only imagine that Logitech has some spicy patents, because I can't come up with any other reason that no one else has really gone after the high-end user-programmable universal remote market to fill the gap between people who are happy with CEC or bundled universal remotes and the people who are willing to pay for some "professional installer" to configure a commercial automation system.

It's the same reason why logitech exited the market, that slice of user is pretty thin and hard to make money at.

Figure that most people out there have their TV and maybe one streaming device connected to it. Even if you push a little further upmarket, they'll include a soundbar. That arrangement works fine under CEC or the universal features that come with many remotes.

Only crazy folks like me have a TV, an AppleTV, a Roku, a blu-ray player, a Chromecast with GoogleTV, and a full blown AVR connected in their living room.

On top of the thin market, you have then have to contend with the fact that there's not much innovation to be done year to year to drive people to upgrade. People will generally only but another one when it breaks. Meanwhile, they are burning money keeping the backend active and updating the code database.

It's just not a money maker which is why the remote market have nearly always been more community driven affairs if you aren't in the high high end.

The fact that we still have to deal with this poo poo at all in 2023 is annoying. Bring on an open wireless remote standard. I should be able to set any parameter on any of my devices directly without having to emulate a bunch of remote presses.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a SofaBaton U1, [the U2 is apparently a minor update] it’s decent but the clicky buttons aren’t pleasant and the software isn’t great, like there’s no way to map a button to a single function across all devices, you have to do it in each one. Also I’ve had trouble teaching it my backlight codes. If your devices are in the database the support is good.

I have never used “activities” or macros so can’t comment on that. The X1 seems worse in every way besides a hub and more devices supported, but who cares when there aren’t enough buttons to do anything useful?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I'm dreading the day my harmony dies.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
lol, I knew it was crazy last time I looked, but holy crap!

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Infrared-Universal-Programmable/dp/B004OVECU0/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=3HFPUTOLQKNZM

Harmony 650s are going for $259 on Amazon. Not sure how there are new ones since when I looked last time they were all used.

I currently have a 650, a 665, and one of the older WiFi ones… they’ve all been beat to hell and back but still work. The 650 eats batteries pretty hard (must be a leaky capacitor or something idk) so I threw a lipo and charging circuit into it and now it runs great and lasts much longer.

Question: I haven’t gone looking so if the software is front and center on Logitechs site, then I apologize for asking. does the support software still exist?

Is there an open source alternative somewhere?

I’d like to keep these things working forever if possible.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I bought a Logitech Harmony 650 on Amazon for $30 in 2018. That's the going price on eBay currently for a used one.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Astro7x posted:

I bought a Logitech Harmony 650 on Amazon for $30 in 2018. That's the going price on eBay currently for a used one.

Well that makes more sense then. Thanks!

I have a spare old raspberry pi and could build an IR emitter for it. I wonder if that’s a thing. I mean, I’m sure it is and visiting that LIRC page I could research it. Just wondering if anyone has done it before and has experience with it.

I’ll check in the pi thread too when I’m not on mobile.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Any recommendations for where to get info for calibrating a TV? I thought I saw someone say there was a website where they are sold for each model for like $5 or $10

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rtings and/or YouTube

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Any recommendations for where to get info for calibrating a TV? I thought I saw someone say there was a website where they are sold for each model for like $5 or $10

rtings.com has a "recommended settings" section in all their TV reviews. That's usually good enough for most people unless you're looking to dig around in service menus.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Astro7x posted:

I have instructions for basic sdr calibration by eye in the second part of the OP, if you want a baseline:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3523461&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post410691510

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm probably getting a new TV some time in the next 6 months or so. Due to our space and setup, we're looking at around 75", if not a touch larger.

I haven't gamed on a console in ages, but we have a kid now so I'm thinking about that possibility in the future. My question is: How does the Nintendo Switch do on a large 4k screen? I'm vaguely aware that the Switch outputs at a lower resolution, but my knowledge of such things ends there. Is there something to look for in different TVs that handle that sort of situation better than others? Or will it not be a big deal regardless?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

incogneato posted:

I'm probably getting a new TV some time in the next 6 months or so. Due to our space and setup, we're looking at around 75", if not a touch larger.

I haven't gamed on a console in ages, but we have a kid now so I'm thinking about that possibility in the future. My question is: How does the Nintendo Switch do on a large 4k screen? I'm vaguely aware that the Switch outputs at a lower resolution, but my knowledge of such things ends there. Is there something to look for in different TVs that handle that sort of situation better than others? Or will it not be a big deal regardless?

It won't really matter, any 4K tv will be able to upscale just fine

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

incogneato posted:

Televisions handle upscaling just fine these days. Super Mario Wonder looks ridiculously good on my 55", and TotK is decent, thanks to using FSR.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've noticed some switch games being noticeably blurry on my 77" OLED, but I think that's more down to low resolution textures than it is down to rendering resolution.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You can fix that problem with the Switch 2 dropping in the next year or so.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
All good info, thank you! Sounds like it's not something to worry about overall. And since we're not in a hurry, maybe I'll wait and keep an eye on news about the upgraded Switch.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Just passing this along if someone wants a deal on a good sized entry level TV. 70" Vizio on sale for $120 at Best Buy. You'd be hard pressed to beat this even on BF.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-70-class-v-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-tv/6459564.p

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

KillHour posted:

I've noticed some switch games being noticeably blurry on my 77" OLED, but I think that's more down to low resolution textures than it is down to rendering resolution.

360p native resolution is for enough for anybody :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

At some point it's going to be cheaper to build your house out of tvs than wood.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So my 16 year old Sharp Aquos is now dead. I've been looking at the upcoming holiday deals at Costco for a replacement 50 inch and theres a Highsense a65k for 250 bucks and an LG UR8000 for 300 dollars. They both seem to be pretty similar, and have more or less similar ratings on rtings. Are Highsense brand televisions known to be significantly less reliable or anything? I was leaning towards saving 50 bucks, but if LG televisions have a much better reputation then I might go with that even though I know I'm gonna be covered by the costco warranty stuff.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Get a 48 inch lg oled

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

lol jesus christ 120 bucks for 70". Now... the V series are hot garbage and I wouldn't be in even at that price... but still goddamn

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

BonoMan posted:

lol jesus christ 120 bucks for 70". Now... the V series are hot garbage and I wouldn't be in even at that price... but still goddamn

Yeah, I'm thinking that would be a garage TV, or maybe one for the kids to play video games on? Not sure what it would be good at.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

At some point it's going to be cheaper to build your house out of tvs than wood.

Getting pretty close. I paid close to $100 for some cabinet grade plywood last year

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hey, I asked about the reactive LED strips a week ago, and I picked up the nanoleaf kit and I'm pretty happy with it. Managed to connect it to both phones, and it's on my iot WiFi network. The strip itself is high quality and bright. The software to calibrate is good, my wife likes it too!

There's a bit of latency though, which I'm sure only I am noticing, and my crummy TV isn't dark enough and so a very dark scene sometimes casts a brighter light than it should. Overall, it does what I want, which is too be a good TV back light. It also increases the perceived dynamic range which is neat.

On that note, we have a 10 year old Vizio TV. What's a good, cheap workhorse ~60 inch 4k screen now? I have to assume I'm not going to end up with lower IQ in any way whatsoever. We use an Nvidia shield for all TV watching functions, and have an analog 2.1 system, so rca/headphone out would be preferred. I'm thinking maybe Xmas gift for my wife.

Thanks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I got a 65" Class OLED S90C based on the sizing recommendations and jeez Louise this tv is huge. Set it up today.

This is my first nice tv. My old one is a decade old and like 30”. The images are almost too detailed - it messes with me lol.

:siren: Are there any settings I should change for a fresh out of the box S90C?
  • I know a bunch of tvs from awhile ago had automatic motion blurring.
  • Light and contrast seem good.