Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The MSJ posted:

Yeah he started out making Christian games. FNAF happened because people said the main character of a side scroller he made looked creepy.

I think he has stopped being directly involved with the series though. The newer games did not have much of his input.

Specifically, it was a Dunkey video where he was railing on the characters in the game, so we can blame Dunkey entirely for the birth and popularity of FNAF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

On a surface level I kind of like the idea of a haunted kids theme restaurant. But the actual gameplay seems like boring poo poo that I wouldn’t like, and also jumpscares. The rise of Pewdiepie was also annoying enough even before it turned out he was a real scumbag.

There’s a documentary out there titled The Rock-afire Explosion. Which gives a history of the animatronic band that Showbiz Pizza had, the takeover by Chuck-E-Cheese, and the strange people still obsessed with the “band”. Some of the fans went so far as buying their own animatronics either second hand or direct from the guy who originally created them. That guy is also nuts, gets in messy feuds with fans over poo poo like them buying bootleg parts, and is extremely bitter because he thinks an animatronic band should have made him a multimillionaire. I never finished it because it got way too weird for me. For reasons…..

They showed portions of this wonderfully creepy “concept unification” tape that showed you how to convert your Showbiz Pizza animatronics into Chuck-E-Cheese ones. Which involved stripping off all the bits till you’re down to a metal skeleton.

https://youtu.be/fZdmbzc9GLo?si=jTdQXBTZIV6zgSaV

Anyway, it’s too bad the douchebag creator of FNAF is going to probably make a bunch more money off this.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phanatic posted:

FNAF always sounded to me like it should be a sequel to Weekend at Bernie’s.

Well they're both about non-living things being made to look alive by macabre means.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I get (well, intellectually, I've never been) that these are basically all riffs on kids reacting to the horror that is Chuck E Cheese's robo mascots, but was the first possessed animatronics story in this style/cycle that episode of Gravity Falls? It predates FNaF by about a month.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I just want there to be a big art/making of book from Jim Henson’s Creature Shop about the animatronics and suits, the look and movement is so amazing people think it’s rendered and can’t tell what’s a puppet and what’s a performer. I’ll have to get it second hand though because once Cawthon’s poo poo politics came to light I had to let it all go. Yeah yeah separate art from artist, people are complex, etc. but it’s a total dealbreaker imo. Good on all the money to St Jude’s but it doesn’t cancel funding hate.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vandar posted:

Specifically, it was a Dunkey video where he was railing on the characters in the game, so we can blame Dunkey entirely for the birth and popularity of FNAF.

Do you mean Stephanie Sterling? I can’t find any Dunkey videos of his previous games

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RatHat posted:

Do you mean Stephanie Sterling? I can’t find any Dunkey videos of his previous games

Oops. You're right. It's been a long week and I had a brain fart there.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Casimir Radon posted:

... I never finished it because it got way too weird for me. For reasons…..

It gets extra sad. That guy's workshop is just full of dust covered workstations where everyone just left. Tools and robot bear parts and stuff just dumped mid job like you'd see in a post-apocalypse film. The owner has been walking past a spilled bottle of glue for like 30 years.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

kalel posted:

loving zoomers (I said boomerishly)

I've been waiting to shake my fist at those drat kids since I was one, you better loving believe I'm telling snotnosed little shits to get off my lawn now

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I hear Gen z and zoomers and my mind immediately starts talking poo poo about the person talking about it. Generationally based commentary is nonsense.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Okay boomer

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I just got generationed

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

8one6 posted:

It gets extra sad. That guy's workshop is just full of dust covered workstations where everyone just left. Tools and robot bear parts and stuff just dumped mid job like you'd see in a post-apocalypse film. The owner has been walking past a spilled bottle of glue for like 30 years.
Seems he’s bipolar and doesn’t like to take the meds which probably contributed to that. Then Trump came along and he latched on to him. Now he has racist and homophobic outbursts on a regular basis.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Shageletic posted:

I just got generationed

More like generatiowned

God I'm old

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Last I had heard of Aaron Fechter his warehouse exploded due to messing with some dangerous gasoline alternative, sad to hear he probably has a lot of problems that just got worse without being treated.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Remember Sharktopus? They're back, in Chinese form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ5d7Fr3Rz8

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just watched the trailer for Alien: Romulus and it looks cool, but I hated the trailer

It will probably be bad. As much as I love Michael Fassbender, I hope they drop the David stuff.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
guy pearce as old man weyland again

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is there actually an official trailer yet? All I see are garbage fan trailers cobbled together.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I just watched the trailer for Alien: Romulus and it looks cool, but I hated the trailer

It will probably be bad. As much as I love Michael Fassbender, I hope they drop the David stuff.

As in, an industry screening of an unreleased trailer? Because the only trailers out there for the public are fanmade.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ridley Scott apparently likes Romulus better than the Neil Blomkamp story.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

no wonder they thought it looked cool

they were watching Star Trek footage

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Ridley Scott apparently likes Romulus better than the Neil Blomkamp story.

It would be hard to pitch something worse than the Neil Blonkamp story.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Not knowing what it was I’m just gonna guess “Die Antwoord in Space!”.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just angry "Alien 3 destroyed the franchise!!!" fanwank, because killing Newt is apparently a sin and an affront to cinema that must be rectified.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Just angry "Alien 3 destroyed the franchise!!!" fanwank, because killing Newt is apparently a sin and an affront to cinema that must be rectified.

you forgot bishop

and hicks

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Anyone that angry at Alien 3 can just listen to the audio adaptation of the William Gibson screenplay with Michael Biehn and Lance Henriksen. Or read the comic adaptation or novelization of the script. Probably the most-adapted unmade film of all time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Alien3 sucked because hanging out with religious space pedos is way less fun than hanging with space truckers or space marines.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ugh, looks like I fell for a fan made trailer. I didn’t recognize most of the footage they used but noted the quick cuts- I’m getting rusty

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

oh drat they brought back young Ripley

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They should of kept alien 3 setting as being a monastery on a wooden planet thing.

But yeah that probably would of been really bloody hard to pull off in the early 90's. But still, cool as hell.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Interesting how Raised By Wolves was also named in reference to Romulus and Remus... Ok I just miss that show, but I hope new Alien is anywhere close to that level of chaos

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Alien 3, especially the assembly cut, rules.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alan Smithee posted:

you forgot bishop

Bishop survived and could have been reworked but he'd never be top of the line again. He'd rather be nothing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Casimir Radon posted:

Not knowing what it was I’m just gonna guess “Die Antwoord in Space!”.

Ripley would be the chappie of it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1716945977540747569?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

:laffo: Vin is the most insecure action star to ever exist

Imagine having one of the all-time greats say “hey I’d like to be in your franchise” and your response is “no, I don’t want you” because you’re still sore about The Rock

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Isn’t Van Damme a notorious rear end in a top hat to work with?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RatHat posted:

Isn’t Van Damme a notorious rear end in a top hat to work with?

Well, he was a holy terror during the shoot of Street Fighter, always showing up to the set late, either hung over from partying all night long or loving Kylie Minogue all night long (or sometimes both). There was a lot of cocaine on that set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think he's chilled out in recent years but yeah he used to be a diva