Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I had to stop playing Control due to my console being temporarily unavailable and started Marvel's Avengers instead and let me tell you that's a downgrade in every respect. I've gone in knowing it wasn't well received and that the combat isn't great but man, somehow I still feel disappointed with how poor this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The game is literally being published by Epic, it's way more than the usual Epic exclusivity thing. There is 0% chance of it going to any other PC store unless Epic decides to give up on their store or something

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Orv posted:

Alan Wake isn't even a little Eurojank what

exquisite tea posted:

Remedy is a Finnish studio, so the correct term is Uraljank.

This.

I dunno, it's got a schlocky charm that sort of reminds me of the weird poo poo in Witcher 2. Coming from typical, safe, AAA gaming of the early 2010s I personally put it in a similar boat as TW2, STALKER, and other ambitious "charming" games compared to like COD or God of War.

Just my opinion, maaaaaan.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

victrix posted:

Any Heroes of Might & Magic 3 fans in the audience?

I have great news for you

https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/wargaming/sale/HoMMIIIxWoWS

Hilarious, love it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i liked the writing in alan wake. not like alan's hokey prose, but the actual multiple layers of writers writing about writers writing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

anilEhilated posted:

HoMM3 is really popular in Russia.

pentyne posted:

it's still actively played to this day

the closest comparison would be Starcraft in Korea.

I thought this was a joke until I looked it up but nope that's a thing. Pretty fascinating actually.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
HoMM3's popularity in eastern europe is the reason the King's Bounty IP was picked up by a russian company and converted into an (honestly pretty awesome) eurojank strategy game series

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Remedy is a Finnish studio, so the correct term is Uraljank.

Jankka

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If we're calling Remedy games "jank" the word is officially dead and meaningless.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

This.

I dunno, it's got a schlocky charm that sort of reminds me of the weird poo poo in Witcher 2. Coming from typical, safe, AAA gaming of the early 2010s I personally put it in a similar boat as TW2, STALKER, and other ambitious "charming" games compared to like COD or God of War.

Just my opinion, maaaaaan.

I dunno, Alan Wake for all its flaws feels pretty competent, extremely bizarrely bad faces aside, especially for how hosed its development was. To me Eurojank is like, they're trying super hard but around every corner this thing could totally fly apart at any second and even the best pieces of it are just a little sketch. Alan Wake mostly just has not great gameplay.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"ambitious" is one of the last words i would use to describe alan wake. maybe that was true in its first draft, but it was chopped down to one of the safest and most limited third-person action shooters of its time

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Orv posted:

I dunno, Alan Wake for all its flaws feels pretty competent, extremely bizarrely bad faces aside, especially for how hosed its development was. To me Eurojank is like, they're trying super hard but around every corner this thing could totally fly apart at any second and even the best pieces of it are just a little sketch. Alan Wake mostly just has not great gameplay.

Cool, I can get behind that! FWIW I love Alan Wake.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No Wave posted:

If we're calling Remedy games "jank" the word is officially dead and meaningless.

Yeah, they're not janky, just not good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

vividlope whips. possible top 5 GOTY for me

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ghostlight posted:

i liked the writing in alan wake. not like alan's hokey prose, but the actual multiple layers of writers writing about writers writing.
I liked how the enemies talked poo poo to Alan.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Weird, im also a goon that started playing Alan Wake Remastered on a whim. I think its ok? Definitely shows its age. I like the TVs with "FMV" twilight zone episodes.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

pentyne posted:

Slay the Princess

Wasn't this like a free game at some point? It just released for $18 as a full game and the reviews seem pretty great.

Oh, Slay the Princess is great, alright.

It's a Stanley Parable-like that nails all the important parts. Strong writing, sassy narration and shitloads of choices.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Skulker posted:

Is there a reason developers don't optimise anything any more?
This is with optimization. This is the devs doing the best they can within the time, budget, and focus constraints imposed by the publisher. For example:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What gets to me about Cities Skylines is that it’s missing basic stuff like DLSS and only FSR1 is supported, support for the much better FSR2 is missing. Apparently the developers wanted a delay but Paradox was insisting they release it this quarter and are paying for it with bad reviews.
See?

Upsidads posted:

Dear Konami nice start on the Castlevania collections when the hell is the part with SOTN & DS games It's been years
And Rondo of Blood too. And Castlevania The Adventure ReBirth.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 25, 2023

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Skulker posted:

Is there a reason developers don't optimise anything any more?

the current dominant trend in business management across all sectors is to fire all permanent employees and use fleets of disposable contractors for all work instead. When this concept is applied to game development, you end up with a lot of people who are brought in to design or build specific systems, but nobody with the long-term knowhow to understand how everything fits together and design things to do so smoothly. hence: lots of feature rich games that run like poo poo

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Tbh I hope the industry crashes again, and for a while. I need time to finish this backlog of decent to good games that apparently are now a lost art.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

disposablewords posted:

Alan's writing is a case for the importance of editors and drafts. We're getting a hacky author's first draft work produced under extreme pressure, of course it sucks.

Yeah the thing is, the parody IS there. The entire chunk of the game with the kidnapping plot is thanks to Alan hurriedly writing what he knows, which is cheap paperback thriller schlock.

He's literally the author of legally-distinct Max Payne and that's all that he's known for. The game never pretends he's some legendary genius.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah the thing is, the parody IS there. The entire chunk of the game with the kidnapping plot is thanks to Alan hurriedly writing what he knows, which is cheap paperback thriller schlock.

He's literally the author of legally-distinct Max Payne and that's all that he's known for. The game never pretends he's some legendary genius.

yes it loving does, the entire premise of it is that the dark place is attracted to his phenomenal creativity. never once is it suggested that his writing is schlocky except in his own insecure delusions. the fact that the writing excerpts we actually see don't support this at all isn't some commentary on airport fiction, it's just remedy dropping the ball

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

video games are actually really good right now

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The 7th Guest posted:

You should have told that to the folks at Colossal Order. Apparently they missed the memo and put out a bad game in confusion

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The 7th Guest posted:

Oh yeah?? What's the best one right now?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

vividlope apparently bc the score I gave it (85) just knocked Octopath traveler (84.5) out of the #1 spot in my GOTY list

also everyone should play HROT and the golden idol DLC

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Saoshyant posted:

Tetris

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just finished blood death wish, and i don't mess with build games often but that was one stellar mod

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

The 7th Guest posted:

:yeah:

There have been some disasters released recently, but a ton of good stuff too.

To me, the big gently caress ups seem to be caused mostly by publishers demanding a way too early release, or business suits doing ceo brain things with not much thought given to what the actual product is going to be.

But there have been plenty of good major studio releases this year, so it's not happening to everybody.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

Year of the Gamer

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

just finished blood death wish, and i don't mess with build games often but that was one stellar mod

Does that work ok in the new-ish blood re-release? Playing Cultic got me in the mood for blood.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SavageMessiah posted:

Does that work ok in the new-ish blood re-release? Playing Cultic got me in the mood for blood.

works great, no issues at all

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

yes it loving does, the entire premise of it is that the dark place is attracted to his phenomenal creativity. never once is it suggested that his writing is schlocky except in his own insecure delusions. the fact that the writing excerpts we actually see don't support this at all isn't some commentary on airport fiction, it's just remedy dropping the ball

I forgot that it was actually no joke Alan Wake's Darkplace lmao

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m going to play Alan Wake 2. Probably. Assuming my computer can run it. I’m honestly not sure what I can run any more.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Oxxidation posted:

i don't recall the dark presence ever gushing about his creativity but it wouldn't exactly be a plothole given that alan is literally living through a story he wrote starring him.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Saoshyant posted:

yellow taxi goes vroom demo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

i don't recall the dark presence ever gushing about his creativity but it wouldn't exactly be a plothole given that alan is literally living through a story he wrote starring him.

the unprecedented reach and impact he has using the dark place's power is also meant to show he's a creative dynamo that it's desperate to get at. alan wake the writer is a Big Deal as far as the game is concerned, even though his prose excerpts all read like a sixth-grader wrote them

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Oxxidation posted:

Alan's there in the first place because he's burnt out and can't create. But he proved desirable because the Dark Presence really needs a narrative to exploit, and a novel author works in a more suited medium than the poets, painters, and songwriters it snared before. He talks constantly about how the narrative has to hang together, not just be logical but also follow the "rules" of storytelling, and it gets hammered in further when he mentions writing for TV serials and having the ability to just write originally beat into him by the need to pay bills. The picture painted of him is someone formulaic and workmanlike, which is what the Dark Presence actually needed.

And also seriously, it is a first-draft work, produced under massive pressure without more than the most cursory editing passes to make sure poo poo hangs together. Polish for quality would come later, probably after it had been rewritten so many times it barely resembles the original. A number of real authors are open about the process actually being like that, Alan's situation is absolutely playing into it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lots of famous writing is actually real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"I sighed as the elevator began to shake, vibrating with motion" - Mark Twain, probably