Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I honestly found Robert’s tangent about his own grandfather near the end of this last episode was rather sweet and on-point with my own experiences grappling and reckoning with “true” masculinity over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I put off listening to the Liddy episodes until this weekend and am halfway through them now. I can't believe how good they are, and what a total loving weirdo Liddy was. Robert's sheer glee at talking about this man reminds me of the Action Park episode.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 23, 2023

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
It is amusing to me that you can tell when someone has spent way too much time arguing on twitter

Jason Pargin has it bad, every single statement he leaned in to make over ep. 1 of the hawk’s nest tunnel disaster had some sort of preemptive rear end-covering statement

When you argue too much on twitter, you wind up trying to fend off counterarguments before they happen with those kinds of preemptive excuses

By the end of the ep I was definitely ready for him to stop letting me know how bad this story is and how hosed up the company is, just tell me what they did and stop telling me how bad it is that they did this bad thing, gently caress

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I'm getting an ad for a national Goldendoodle breeder. :barf:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I'm getting an ad for a national Goldendoodle breeder. :barf:

I had a wonderful realization the other day. I had accidentally left my vpn connected to england, and the podcasts that had downloaded for me the night before had british ads.

Better than the relentless online gambling ads i had been getting, that’s for sure

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

rotinaj posted:

It is amusing to me that you can tell when someone has spent way too much time arguing on twitter

Jason Pargin has it bad, every single statement he leaned in to make over ep. 1 of the hawk’s nest tunnel disaster had some sort of preemptive rear end-covering statement

When you argue too much on twitter, you wind up trying to fend off counterarguments before they happen with those kinds of preemptive excuses

By the end of the ep I was definitely ready for him to stop letting me know how bad this story is and how hosed up the company is, just tell me what they did and stop telling me how bad it is that they did this bad thing, gently caress

it's the same issue I had with the mkultra episodes - just constant, constant hedging from Jason

i think he might actually be my least favourite guest, others I might not vibe with or find annoying but he actually interferes with my ability to learn about the subject

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I like Jason because he's knowledgeable, but goddamn did it take forever to even getting to discuss the topic of the episode. Almost 40 min in and they just started telling us what the goddamn tunnel even is.

Agreed that it probably comes from too much time spent preempting Twitter mobs.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

neongrey posted:

it's the same issue I had with the mkultra episodes - just constant, constant hedging from Jason

i think he might actually be my least favourite guest, others I might not vibe with or find annoying but he actually interferes with my ability to learn about the subject

"Prop" gets that dubious honor from me. He's too... energetic? Excitable? His constant exclamations are really annoying.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Jason’s currently doing a podcast with Seanbaby and Robert Brockway about the Bigfoot hunting reality show Mountain Men called Bigfeet, and he’s good on that, granted it’s a much less serious topic that’s more open for jokes.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Jamie Loftus is the best BtB guest.

Andre Ti and Matt Lieb are all right too.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

:emptyquote:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

One note:

Margaret Killjoy is also a good guest, and andrew, matt and jamie are probably on the btb mount rushmore

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Margaret's show is also good, at least the handful of episodes I've listened to.

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.

Zugzwang posted:

Margaret's show is also good, at least the handful of episodes I've listened to.

Her books and music are also fantastic.

Just saying..

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Paul F Tompkins, though to be fair, any instance I can have more PFT in my life, is an immediate yes

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Finally caught up on the G Gordon Liddy episodes.

On the one hand, Robert went ludicrously in depth on Liddy's life and career. On the other hand, he failed to mention that G Gordon Liddy once played an evil katana-weilding Japanese businessman/yakuza named Satori-San in over a dozen episodes of an early nineties TV show about a crime-fighting astronaut.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FIX SIGNS posted:

Just saying..

I've been absolutely entranced by the ICHH Book Club Sunday episodes recently where Margaret Killjoy has been reading from her punk-horror novella "The Lamb Shall Slaughter the Lion". Last two chapters this Sunday, can't wait!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

On the one hand, Robert went ludicrously in depth on Liddy's life and career. On the other hand, he failed to mention that G Gordon Liddy once played an evil katana-weilding Japanese businessman/yakuza named Satori-San in over a dozen episodes of an early nineties TV show about a crime-fighting astronaut.

Any show will miss something. I remember being dissatisfied with the vince mcmahon episode because he is such a fuckface and deserves to have his poo poo brought to attention, but i also am a huge loving nerd and am obsessive over wrestling

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FIX SIGNS posted:

Just saying..
I will check them out, thanks :buddy:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Any show will miss something. I remember being dissatisfied with the vince mcmahon episode because he is such a fuckface and deserves to have his poo poo brought to attention, but i also am a huge loving nerd and am obsessive over wrestling

Yeah I felt the same way about the Vince episodes. It was more of an excuse for Robert to tell funny wrestling stories than really touch on all the heinous poo poo Vince has done.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

What are some stand out series on that, I've tried a few and haven't been as grabbed as BTB grabbed me?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
G Gordon Liddy is also namechecked in a Steely Dan song because Becker and Fagen got arrested in a raid he organized

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

LionYeti posted:

What are some stand out series on that, I've tried a few and haven't been as grabbed as BTB grabbed me?
I enjoyed the "Escape from the Magdalene Laundries" episodes. I listened to those when Sinéad O'Connor died since she was a survivor of one of those hellholes. (If you're not familiar with said laundries, BtB did a series on them. They were, uh, not great places to be.)

Haven't listened to many more episodes, mostly because the hours when I can listen to podcasts are rather finite at the moment.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

rotinaj posted:

I agree as well, but I kinda think that he ended it where he did with the intent to do more in the future. It felt like he cut it a decade or two short of modern day iirc

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Seanbaby could improv another 12 hours of wrestling talk no problem.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
This might just be a me thing, but is anyone else kinda grossed out by robert doing ad reads for draftkings?

I get that gambling is fine for someone with a libertarian, personal freedom bent but draftkings has absolutely got to be responsible for ruining a lot of lives with easy mobile access to gambling. And sure, he works for iheartradio/clear channel communication and just does what the bosses say, but i am still allowed to think that profiting off/helping to promote gambling addiction is gross

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m more disappointed because I got inundated with ads from them after my state legalized online gambling; I’m not hyperbolizing when I say literally every single ad block for every ad-supported podcast had a DK ad in rotation for a couple months

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Same, connecticut letting gambling ho like this made it take off like crazy. I don’t think robert himself was doing ad reads until recently, which is the part that super bums me out, yndoubtedly due to parasocial relationship poo poo.

“Robert is my friend who talks into my ear all the time, why would he be promoting gambling in such a way that easily feeds addiction?”

Because robert is an employee and is doing what he needs to do to remain employed, stupid brain. Don’t believe someone is on your side just because they say the right things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is where I post the ‘there is no ethical consumption under capitalism’ Sonic meme

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

rotinaj posted:

This might just be a me thing, but is anyone else kinda grossed out by robert doing ad reads for draftkings?

I get that gambling is fine for someone with a libertarian, personal freedom bent but draftkings has absolutely got to be responsible for ruining a lot of lives with easy mobile access to gambling. And sure, he works for iheartradio/clear channel communication and just does what the bosses say, but i am still allowed to think that profiting off/helping to promote gambling addiction is gross

Stavros Halkias does the DraftKings ads too and it just bothers me how pervasive those ads are, they are loving everywhere. Similar to pharma, if the paragraphs of disclaimers you have to read at the end are as long as the ads themselves, maybe you shouldn't be able to advertise for that product at all!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I got an ad for Highland's health supplements listening to Behind the Bastards. As in the same people that made Highland's baby killing pills.

Ethical consumption under capitalism aside, the podcast being sponsored by a former subject of the podcast is loving gross.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

rotinaj posted:

Not as bad as BetterHelp imo

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Well, who hasn't?
Don't have to make a big deal outta everything.

But for real, that's bonkers.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

Not as bad as BetterHelp imo

You had a bad experience with betterhelp, we get it, but are you honestly trying to argue that halfassed therapy is worse than flat-out enabling gambling addiction in a mobile app?

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Actually I'll take that back. I'll take DraftKings ads over ads for Mo Rocca's podcast.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Thank gently caress for the ad-free subscription

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

rotinaj posted:

You had a bad experience with betterhelp, we get it, but are you honestly trying to argue that halfassed therapy is worse than flat-out enabling gambling addiction in a mobile app?

I don't know about worse but I would say therapy that pretends to be helpful and better than other options is pretty loving bad, especially since it's not a little know issue about the company at this point. They're both taking advantage of people and I'd prefer 20 gold selling ads over them. I find the gambling ads worse overall but that's just because I also have to see them while watching wrestling and in anything that could possibly be bet on legally and it's incredibly annoying and gross. I have no strong opinions towards Robert doing the ad reads besides annoyance, though, I doubt they have any choice on what ads are given for them to read as part of iheart.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

rotinaj posted:

It’s not just half-assed therapy, it’s the SV-ification of our mental healthcare network which is already underserved and increasingly strained. Their data protection is basically nonexistent, their employees can range from “actually useful” to “actively harmful” and their profit drive is at odds with any mission involving people actually getting better help. This isn’t to say gambling isn’t dangerous or that that the extension of gambling onto phones that permanently exist in our pockets is not bad, but that the harm BetterHelp does to individuals and the harm it does to the concept of telemedicine and mental healthcare in general are a loving nightmare, worse than even something like Uber or Grubhub in concept alone

“Half-assed therapy” is often worse than no therapy at all, especially since the bar for their staff is lower than legit therapy and when people are dealing with serious mental health issues it can be the difference between life and death, especially for the sorts of people who might be inclined to use an app (poor people, closeted queer people, other marginalized populations of young people, people who already have other health issues)

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
BetterHelp literally hands all of the info you give them to Zuckerberg et al

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The latest ICHH about secure messaging apps included a shout-out to D&D's Freep mock thread and one of its old titles: "there's always more and it's always worse."