Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

internet celebrity posted:

Final Fantasy 7 remake is good and that's a sequel

It's good, but I feel the levels are too stretched out in order to make the Midgar area a full length game.

Maybe in 2040 they will release a Final Fantasy 7 Complete Redux version which stitches all the games together and removes all the unnecessary bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just wish they’d make pixel versions of all the final fantasies

Especially 11 and 14. 11 already has menu combat!

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

internet celebrity posted:

Final Fantasy 7 remake is good and that's a sequel

It's almost great. I was 110% on board with them going full MGS2 and looping-in fan expectations/reactions as a core narrative device that plays extremely well with the franchise's history of spitting in destiny's face, turning it truly into its own thing. It's a real shame they got gun-shy about it.

I'm still holding out hope that they triple down on that and go wild in the sequels.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

jokes posted:

I just wish they’d make pixel versions of all the final fantasies

Especially 11 and 14. 11 already has menu combat!

Been saying this for a very long time

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Aramis posted:

It's almost great. I was 110% on board with them going full MGS2 and looping-in fan expectations/reactions as a core narrative device that plays extremely well with the franchise's history of spitting in destiny's face, turning it truly into its own thing. It's a real shame they got gun-shy about it.

I'm still holding out hope that they triple down on that and go wild in the sequels.

You mean the presequels

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
ff demakes when

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vakal posted:

It's good, but I feel the levels are too stretched out in order to make the Midgar area a full length game.

Maybe in 2040 they will release a Final Fantasy 7 Complete Redux version which stitches all the games together and removes all the unnecessary bullshit.

So a movie, then?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Final Fantasy 7 remake is actually a pretty funny game in a bunch of parts.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

i liked that all the background characters in midgard wear normal clothes, while the main characters look anime af

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

DrPossum posted:

ff demakes when

I swear there's a FF7 demake out there somewhere with 16bit graphics

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
There's a pretty infamous Chinese NES Final Fantasy VII homebrew that plays like rear end

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

emSparkly posted:

There's a pretty infamous Chinese NES Final Fantasy VII homebrew that plays like rear end

That's got to be the one I'm thinking of

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

emSparkly posted:

How is it different from the original though

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

well for one it's a repro of ff2 so leveling is in that style

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A billion RPG Maker games and nobody is brave enough to use FFPR/FFRK artwork to make an FF7 demake.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The pixel remasters all look kinda bad but the music is the best it's ever been. Except for the opera scene, which somehow sounds like poo poo.

The definitive version of FF1 is the Playstation version from Origins and it loving rules.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think playing the pixel games with the scanlines is really important.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I heard Aerith tells you she hates you before she dies

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

George posted:

The definitive version of FF1 is the Playstation version from Origins and it loving rules.

Unbearable load times on actual hardware though

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i'm playing the original silent hill and some of these riddles are so bad man

how the gently caress are you supposed to figure out that piano room thing

roomtone fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 25, 2023

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Barudak posted:

There is, its called Lets Go Pikachu and Lets Go Eevee and that will be 60 dollars, pokechump

Are those games any fun to play like if I for some reason have the urge to replay them is there a reason to play these over Fire Red

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
great now i saved over the save state in the emulator at the exact moment i died at the boss when i was trying to reload

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Private Cumshoe posted:

Are those games any fun to play like if I for some reason have the urge to replay them is there a reason to play these over Fire Red

No, not unless you really really wanna see the monsters in 3D. You can't fight wild pokemon, only try to catch them, which is how you level stuff up. There are trainer battles, but basically nobody has more than 2 monsters and theyre always really weak and underleveled. Pokemon don't have held items or special abilities so combat is even flatter than usual. Worst version of the OG games so far.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

roomtone posted:

great now i saved over the save state in the emulator at the exact moment i died at the boss when i was trying to reload

lol

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Aramis posted:

Is there any chance that Tifa survives? I feel like no.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

X JAKK posted:

Dark Souls is for babies struggling with object permanence

Real pros play lv1 critical mode Kingdom Hearts

I actually replayed the kingdom hearts games recently and they're real bad. Like, not even in a funny way because the cutscenes are stupid and silly. The gameplay is just awful, and every game is awful in a new and different way

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I actually replayed the kingdom hearts games recently and they're real bad. Like, not even in a funny way because the cutscenes are stupid and silly. The gameplay is just awful, and every game is awful in a new and different way

I couldn't finish KH3 because of this. After every major setpiece and climactic fight you get insanely long and boring dialogues.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I couldn't finish KH3 because of this. After every major setpiece and climactic fight you get insanely long and boring dialogues.

this is a problem unique to Kingdom hearts 3. The other games had the good sense to space out cutscenes so every 15 minutes you'd get 3-5 minutes of cutscenes. This allowed me to feel rewarded by the cutscenes and take a break to smoke more weed. KH3 has hours without cutscenes and then slams your rear end with 20-40 minute cutscenes after every world.

I played through almost the whole series last year and had a really nice time tbh, especially 1 and 2. I was dealing with some depression and medication stuff back then, and I wonder if maybe you need to be depressed to enjoy the games. If you ever look up user reviews many of them mention how Kingdom Hearts helped them through their parents divorce.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Fighting Elegy posted:

this is a problem unique to Kingdom hearts 3. The other games had the good sense to space out cutscenes so every 15 minutes you'd get 3-5 minutes of cutscenes. This allowed me to feel rewarded by the cutscenes and take a break to smoke more weed. KH3 has hours without cutscenes and then slams your rear end with 20-40 minute cutscenes after every world.

I played through almost the whole series last year and had a really nice time tbh, especially 1 and 2. I was dealing with some depression and medication stuff back then, and I wonder if maybe you need to be depressed to enjoy the games. If you ever look up user reviews many of them mention how Kingdom Hearts helped them through their parents divorce.

Its basically Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue, only instead of drugs its sad feelings

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fighting Elegy posted:

When I was a depressed loser in like middle school I loved kingdom hearts and especially kingdom hearts 2. Replaying them recently, I got really annoyed at how much of 2 is spent waiting for bosses and enemies to let you hit them.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I just saw a video on a speedrunner who attempted a game over 5000 times. If I found out my teenage son was getting into speedrunning I would take away his video games until he started playing them normally.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That streamer probably makes more money than your normal son does tho and speedrunning is a a growing industry insulated from threats of AI

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I would not allow my child to sell his soul for such depravity

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I saw my kid start falling down the rabbit hole of weird speed running stuff and had to explain to him about how YouTube will try to suck you into poo poo for deranged loons and convince you it's popular by making it everything you see, but it's actually just a subset of weirdos and no one in the real world cares. He seemed to figure it out and drifted away from it without me having to ban anything.

I mean I used nicer words than that. It is kind of scary when your kid wants to show you their glitched run of a Sonic stage.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Caesar Saladin posted:

I would not allow my child to sell his soul for such depravity

It's really no more complicated than competing with others in single player games

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Y'all sound like your parents

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think you guys are lying about having sex. I mean, outside of Liara, of course.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Private Cumshoe posted:

It's really no more complicated than competing with others in single player games

its okay until you replay the nes ducktales endlessly every day for nine months of your life, which is really the endgame

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

I just saw a video on a speedrunner who attempted a game over 5000 times. If I found out my teenage son was getting into speedrunning I would take away his video games until he started playing them normally.

"Son you're supposed to choose the sniper and then yell at your teammates for not healing you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Was the streamer a cowboy called Arcus and wasx the game ninja gaiden?