Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really hope quay walls are coming. This faking it with cut and fill poo poo is driving me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mandoric posted:

I did and it didn't work at all. No demand for subtype, no building, R1 R2 R3 are just as separate as C O.

Honestly, those two being entirely separate is pretty depressing too, given how much of my local commercial architecture is reclaimed mills. That in itself is a failure IRL, yeah, but also it's a failure of a simulator to fail to implement failures.

So if you ignore low density residential demand, it suppresses demand for other residential types? Or they happen completely independently? The paradox wiki says families want low density, students and singles want higher but the question is whether it's possible to shape that demand. Can I demolish all my elementary and high schools and still attract people or will I just get a general "bad city" debuff to overall attractiveness to potential new residents?

e: lots of reclaimed mills near me too. About half offices, half apartments. It makes the area look pretty distinctive, it would be cool to see in game

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I want to be able to use multiple road type within the preset grid. I don't want every road to be the 4 lane road. I want the outside the be 4 lane with the inside grid being a 2 lane

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Digital Jedi posted:

I want to be able to use multiple road type within the preset grid. I don't want every road to be the 4 lane road. I want the outside the be 4 lane with the inside grid being a 2 lane

That would be cool although I don't want to think about what the UI for that would look like

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Tarnop posted:

So if you ignore low density residential demand, it suppresses demand for other residential types? Or they happen completely independently? The paradox wiki says families want low density, students and singles want higher but the question is whether it's possible to shape that demand. Can I demolish all my elementary and high schools and still attract people or will I just get a general "bad city" debuff to overall attractiveness to potential new residents?

My expectation was suppressed demand for the others, my experience up to around 10k/tier 8 was going "traffic's fucky and because I bought along the coastline I'm actually eating up a lot of usable land I'm gonna zone this new neighborhood dense and hope it takes" followed by the new neighborhood remaining a dark green-shaded nearly empty field. It did grow one building. Sims in that one building, that were of the apparently extremely rare type that would deign to consider living in that building , still had a hefty happiness malus from it being flats.

(My hope, since there is an economic system in, was for R demand at all to primarily be governed by the ratio of cheapest rent:sim's expected salary, with a bit of fudge factor based around city growth rate as a proxy for home-as-investment types and the happiness maluses to come in based on job 'quality' vs housing quality.)

E: As a synthesis of the reclaimed-mills line and the dense-development line, I would also give a nut to get that other "eh it's more trouble tearing it down" great: I/certain flavors of C pulling "road" access from both rail and road, to represent the short sidings that are everywhere.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 25, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mandoric posted:

Sims in that one building, that were of the apparently extremely rare type that would deign to consider living in that building , still had a hefty happiness malus from it being flats.

This sucks poo poo too. The only buildings so far that I've seen abandoned were rent controlled blocks, and the reason was unhappiness with the size of the units. These were buildings zoned with tons of space, full zone depth from the road and 15 units wide, so the game built the biggest allowed growable of that type and everyone hated it. Not sure what the counter-play for that is supposed to be.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grand Fromage posted:

I am having a hell of a time with the slope tool, how does it work now? Right click to set target height then drag is not doing the job.

I've been lured back in for another session and I tried this. Right clicking on the high ground then left click dragging from low to high worked for me, so it's possible the tool is buggy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I really hope quay walls are coming. This faking it with cut and fill poo poo is driving me crazy.

They looked better than the quays to me honestly.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Digital Jedi posted:

Draw the outside left and right 4lane roads, then grid the top or bottom with 2lane and drag down. The side roads will stay the wider ones and you get the smaller grids.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

OwlFancier posted:

They looked better than the quays to me honestly.

They look fine but building them is an enormous pain in the rear end. Move It 2: Move Harder might be able to fix it. Ideally I'd like quays as their own thing and you can just attach them to a road or vice versa. That would also let you change the retaining wall since there's only this one type.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
There's so much more interest in urbanism and active transport these days than when SimCity or even CS were made that it's nuts to not even experiment with some real mechanics changes. Maybe I just wish this were a different game. But the real conflicts in cities aren't "budget goes up = build bigger city," it's old people wanting to cling to the past, new people wanting change, and then bigger winds of economic change that you don't necessarily control. And in real life, it's almost never "high density residential zoning," it's just various restrictions on what it allowed - if there's no demand for high residential, people just build low density! And that's fine! Make the stress points about land value and competing claims to land use, maybe a spiraling level of bureaucracy and institutions setting in that are harder and harder to improve.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that sounds less like a city builder and more just watching people scream at each other on twitter about 15 minute cities so we can't have a bus stop.

Ultimately it's a game where you get to make nice looking city shaped models with cars that go vroom vroom. An actual simulator of the reasons why cities grow and all the things you can't do would be miserable in its lack of agency afforded to the player.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that sounds less like a city builder and more just watching people scream at each other on twitter about 15 minute cities so we can't have a bus stop.

in my friend's neighborhood there was huge opposition to a metro extension because "we dont want a train station near a school!!"

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Does anyone know if you need "internet" coverage over Industrial areas?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

in my friend's neighborhood there was huge opposition to a metro extension because "we dont want a train station near a school!!"

lol. Best day of my drat life was when the subway station opened next to the school I taught at in China and I never had to commute by bus again.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Got it running pretty well, but definitely having trouble with terrain and terrain tools. I know some of them involve both left- and right- clicking, but it would help if there was something in UI that said what (or if it were in a more obvious spot if it exists)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Work to be done on making it look better but I am stoked how easy this was.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is there any reason to build additional water/sewage pipes? Or are the default ones with the roads enough?

I don't like that a have a full massive demand for high dense res when i haven't unlocked it yet!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Is there any reason to build additional water/sewage pipes? Or are the default ones with the roads enough?

There aren't pipes with bridges or highways so you may need to draw a few to connect areas. Some stuff like the sewage outlet don't need to be on roads so you might connect those. Also you can connect to the edge of the map to buy/sell. Otherwise, no.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
pipes and electrical wires are so lovely and janky it's unbelievable. they hosed it up so bad from CS1 it really is beyond me that they thought this overhaul was a good idea. the very first mod i am going to install is "remove need for pipes/wires" for sure

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

barnold posted:

pipes and electrical wires are so lovely and janky it's unbelievable. they hosed it up so bad from CS1 it really is beyond me that they thought this overhaul was a good idea. the very first mod i am going to install is "remove need for pipes/wires" for sure

How many wires are you having to build?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Honestly I love the new system because it means I don't have to set up wonky-rear end power lines into newly zoned areas and pray they build stuff next to it instead of on the far end

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

When you do have to futz with it it's enormously frustrating, the saving grace is you barely ever have to.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Integrating power, water, and sewage under roads was an excellent design choice, makes the early game much less tedious.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

My citizens are the most house-poor idiots that have ever walked the face of this earth.

I have a suburban home that is stuck on the high rent warning because both parents died so the house is occupied by a teen and two elementary school children who are living in wretched conditions.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i made a nice town, then i ran out of money because i tried to expand too fast and didn't realize i was wasting all my money on services until the tank was almost empty

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
What am I missing here with demand? Low density residential is maxed out, and I have several plots zoned out for months with no construction popping up.

Also I placed a dam where it said I would get 21 MW, and upon completion I get... 1.4MW. What gives?

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
What is the point of the Alley road type? I created alleys between Main Street facing commercial, and my residential behind that. This is how many streets in my city (Montreal) are laid out. I would expect service vehicles like garbage and delivery to use them, as well as R vehicles going home to park, to avoid clogging up the primary road. Ha ha how foolish of me to expect that level of nuance. It’s treated as another normal road, so instead of buildings always backing onto an alley there’s like a 50% chance they face it. I’ve got cars driving down an alley to get to a grocery store. Buildings seem to only have one road entrance so it’s completely unworkable, and I’m left wondering why they even bothered with this entire Alley road type.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Things I really like:

Rush hour being simulated. It’s really drat cool and makes it so that I just accept some places to have it at 8am and 4pm. It’s not a constant.

Rolling seasons are nifty and it’s fun to watch the snow come down from the mountains slowly.

I like new road tools for easy of use of building complex intersections and simple ones.

All buildings that do something are loving huge. Railyards, rail depots, firehouses, universities, etc. They’re all huge and that’s great. I don’t have to get mods to be able to enjoy realistically sized rail terminals.

Downside is that they’re all huge. There’s no corner firehouse. No small rural train station. No tiny cemetaries.

Negatives:

I have a 3090, 12600K, and 64GB. Game runs off of a nvme. I get 60fps before I put buildings down, and in a mid sized city I’m in the 10s. It’s real bad. I followed the gfx guides posted in thread.

It’s just janky to build rural areas. Nothing really fits the vibe or size. I like starting with all areas unlocked and building small hamlets everywhere, but they just don’t look good.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Oh and clicking the button to disable radio ads doesn't actually disable them :psyduck:

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
Dogs can ride public transit, which is cute (and an actual important policy issue in real cities). But I built a couple of dog parks and I never see any dogs in them, just sad lonely men by themselves.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Reinstalling SimCity 2013 because I don't have 60 dollars to spare.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
How important are parking lots? Nobody seems to actually use the ones in commercial zones and all my roads are lousy with people parking on the damned sidewalk

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

FPyat posted:

Reinstalling SimCity 2013 because I don't have 60 dollars to spare.

its on gamepass

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Danaru posted:

How important are parking lots? Nobody seems to actually use the ones in commercial zones and all my roads are lousy with people parking on the damned sidewalk

There are policies to charge for street parking... which I'm considering implementing because I have cars parking across town. You have a lovely "north american" driveway, it takes up like half an acre of your property, use it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

DoNotEat did a video for CS2 and wow like every building is hosed up apparently

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Unsure if everyone is aware but I wasn't so posting here: right click dezones when you are in zoning mode. There is no dezone button per se.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

This video is way more useful for how poo poo works than the tutorial.

https://youtu.be/BoZz06Etwm4?si=PpCbA_0bpF95MWb8

If anyone has any insight on why my dam is only putting out 1.4Mw when it said 21Mw on placement, let me know. I can’t figure it out. And I’m out of money because of it.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
is it like CS, where you need to wait for the water to build up behind the dam before it starts actually generating electricity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I only ever got dams to work in CS1 with water that had high flow; every time I tried to put a drat on a low flowing river it would produce no electricity and eventually turn into a lake. Some of the mountain maps had high spawning rivers that you could drat up, the highest I ever got was like 700MW

Edit: 1600MW

Concurred fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 25, 2023