Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which ghost of MMA still haunts you?
This poll is closed.
Nick Diaz 1 3.57%
Chuck Liddell 5 17.86%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Matt Serra 2 7.14%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Oh no you said his name three times 8 28.57%
Run 1 3.57%
RUN 11 39.29%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
lol not sure if this has been posted but after Dana's whole "flags are back, people are too soft nowadays", they apparently didn't allow Khamzat and possibly Islam to walk to the ring with a Palestine flag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

lol not sure if this has been posted but after Dana's whole "flags are back, people are too soft nowadays", they apparently didn't allow Khamzat and possibly Islam to walk to the ring with a Palestine flag?

lol at the concept of this, will lol again if it's confirmed.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

lol at the concept of this, will lol again if it's confirmed.

https://www.sportspolitika.news/p/ufc-abu-dhabi-dodging-sanctions-silencing

Karim Zidan posted:

After defending the UFC lightweight championship with a thunderous KO in the main event of UFC 294 in Abu Dhabi, Islam Makhachev opted not to celebrate the victory in solidarity with Palestine.

“I am not celebrating [the] win today because [of] the crazy things that are happening around the world. Palestine, we stand with you,” he said in a post-fight interview while carrying the Palestinian flag.

While the spectators at UFC 294 had the opportunity to witness Makhachev's act of solidarity, it remained concealed from others as the UFC chose to censor the clip on YouTube.

Makhachev was not the only fighter who had his pro-Palestine statements censored. The UFC edited out a statement of solidarity from British-Dagestani fighter Muhammed Mokaev, who called for peace in the region.

-----

“When you look at the UFC, we’re truly a global business. People from all over the world face things that other people would never understand,” White said in 2020 amidst global unrest over the Covid-19 pandemic and protests following the murder of George Floyd. “To have the ability to tell people, ‘You can’t express yourself,’ whether it’s anger, happiness, fear – it’s crazy. We would never do that. We’d never try to do that.”

In contrast, the UFC did not censor Brazilian fighter Michel Pereira, who came out for his fight draped in an Israeli flag and voiced his support for the state following the Hamas attack. Nevertheless, when fighters expressed solidarity with Palestine a week later, their support was scraped from the UFC’s various platforms.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

lol.

also, gently caress yeah islam makachev. you may have cost me 100 dollars by embarrassing my main man volk, but you still rule.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The new UFC game looks hella poo poo

Islam Makhachev owns, UFC gently caress you

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
UFC is going woke

https://twitter.com/marcraimondi/status/1716877615674634646?s=20

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
:siren: B-League Round-Up :siren:

Invicta FC 54: McCormack vs Wojcik

Oh hello. Is it time for your quarterly Invicta check-in already? Time sure does fly, doesn’t it? Let’s see what the premier all-women’s MMA organization has on store for this card.

Danni “Mac” McCormack defends the Strawweight title against Karolina Wojcik. This is a very surprising fight, mostly for the fact that McCormack has not yet dropped the belt in the trash en route to a UFC contract. I mean, she’s Irish and everything!

Danni took the belt against me-favorite “Tina Black” Valesca Machado back in March by a solid unanimous decision. On that same card, Wojcik was edging out Ediana Silva by split decision, one fight removed from losing in a vacant title bout against Machado in 2022.

In the co-main event Valesca Machado (Everyone simply cannot stop talking about her because I won’t let them!) takes on Kalindra Faria. Faria was last seen on the global stage losing to triangle armbar to Joanne Wood in 2018, and last notched a victory over a then 3-0 Dina da Silva in 2022. Hopefully Shannon Knapp has read my letters that say “let tina black beat people up more” and this is her answer.

The rest of the card is solid enough. Kristina “Warhorse” Williams looks to rule rear end over Combate Global legend Dee Begley. Hilarie Rose brings a 6-6 record, with those six wins coming over fighters who are currently a combined 9-28 up against 3-2 Andrea Amarao (Those 3 ladies are 4-13 right now. Yeeps!) Riley Martinez takes on the accomplished judoka, German sumo champion and TV news presenter Julia Dorny. I am so glad I got to type that last sentence, MMA is so weird.

The card starts off with “Sweet” Maria Djukic taking on Fernanda Araujo. Araujo is only 2-3 as a pro, but she has amateur fights with Pam Sorenson and Peggy Morgan dating back ten years ago. You may remember Peggy Morgan from TUF 18 (to quote Carl, JESUS CHRIST)

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

There goes the return of Brock.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm not a podcast person but I'm a longtime fan of Rampage and Cain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzOwJp4Jh5k&t=50s
Cain gets into the prison stint a little bit, but I just appreciate all the details.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 24, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Cain should rot.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dan Henderson is on the JRE and aside from some boring stuff about bow hunting at the start its pretty much Henderson telling war stories about wrecking world class fighters with like 2 weeks notice and its pretty great.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
:siren: JONES IS INJURED AND OUT OF THE FIGHT :siren:

https://x.com/danawhite/status/1717042305969090982?s=20

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

tragically, dana survived learning the news

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
gently caress. was really looking forward to that. hope Jones fights again

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I cannot help noticing unlike the last two light-heavyweight champions with injuries on similar timeframes jon jones is not being required to vacate his title for some reason

mewse
May 2, 2006

lol aspinall has never been to rd3? get ready for the biggest 2 man gas since kimbo/dada

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I approached Stipe Miocic for his reaction to the news and he said the following

"Rlghshahh haggahh bllyrgl"

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

So off the top of my head, this is the fifth attempt the UFC has made at a world championship fight on <= a month's notice this year?
  • Teixeira/Hill
  • Strickland/Adesanya
  • Strickland/Chimaev, which failed
  • Makhachev/Volkanovski
  • Pavlovich/Aspinall
It's almost like the titles are becoming increasingly meaningless or something.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Aspinal Pavlovich should be fun / hilarious regardless. Jiri v Periera should be pretty amazing too (it'll fall apart a week out)/

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm guessing they offered Stipe an easy interim title fight so he could have a belt for when they remake the Bones fight next year to put some shine on it as though unification means anything and he told them to gently caress off.

Also no one wants to see Bones versus Pavlovich or Aspinall so when Jones is back and they set him back up with Miocic, it further under values their interim title. 10/10 business decision really.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Also no one wants to see Bones versus Pavlovich or Aspinall so when Jones is back and they set him back up with Miocic, it further under values their interim title. 10/10 business decision really.

https://twitter.com/marcraimondi/status/1717050104522350603

Oh yeah. I'd put the odds pretty high Pavlovich/Aspinall is to crown whoever takes over after Jones/Miocic ends in double retirement.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
The way Dana burst into yelling about Pavlovich was so cringey

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

8 month recovery for Jones so I guess 300 is out.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
gently caress Jon Jones

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I do not care about Jones v Stipe in 2023 at all.

Somehow I forgot Jones even had the belt... by beating Ciryl Gane.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

gently caress Jon Jones

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
So, how many months post-USADA will Jones be returning now?

Why am I asking? Oh, no particular reason.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

BlindSite posted:

8 month recovery for Jones so I guess 300 is out.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

So, how many months post-USADA will Jones be returning now?

Why am I asking? Oh, no particular reason.

jon will be ready to go february 21st and will have a head like Megamind with more bulging veins

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

moctopus posted:

It's the only even remotely interesting fight Jones has in the division now Ngannou is out getting paid and like you say, it's not especially easy to care for. Ngannou Jones was only interesting because the chances of Jones getting violently switched off was in the realm of possibility, even if very unlikely.

If they were to give Derrick a red panty night against Jones I'd be okay with that though. Especially if he Derrick Lewis'd and won somehow.

coathat
May 21, 2007

How is stipe the only interesting fight for jones? Do you think he's cleared out the division with a single fight?

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I think I remember Aspinal and Pavlovich were the backup fight for this exact reason, and have been training accordingly

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Pavlovich was the backup for Jones v Stipe.

CarlCX posted:

https://twitter.com/marcraimondi/status/1717050104522350603

Oh yeah. I'd put the odds pretty high Pavlovich/Aspinall is to crown whoever takes over after Jones/Miocic ends in double retirement.

8 months puts it in June so probably do the July International Fight Week card if they can.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 25, 2023

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I wish -Atom- was still around(no I don’t) to make another Jones tox bet for old times sake

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

moctopus posted:

What if it they did it in the middle of next year instead? So Stipe can continue to decay and Jones can “heal his injuries” Conor style. How does that sound?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Miserable.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

FishBowlRobot posted:

So Stipe can continue to decay

Get Stipe on the Rogan/Dana mutant protocol.

This fight feels like a test case for me -- I'm against steroid use, but in the absence of attempts at legitimate testing or controls, I'm definitely ok with people upping their juice (whether from 0 or not) when fighting known dopers.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

coathat posted:

How is stipe the only interesting fight for jones? Do you think he's cleared out the division with a single fight?

With how much he's been talking about retirement soon even before this injury (another major one for him, and ensuring he can't even try to fight again until he's 37), it's unlikely he's accepting a fight he sincerely believes he'll lose for what is probably his final fight. In terms of fights that leaves open (a scrub, Ngannou which ain't happening, the interim scrub winner, and Miocic), Miocic's closest to what'll happen that could result in Jon losing, but also even older and even more banged up than Jon, but also that makes a loss funnier

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

coathat posted:

Heavyweight is in a very bad state

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Heavyweight is in a very bad state

It's not though, Jones has fought one guy in the top 5, I'd like to see him fight all the others with Stipe probably being the least interesting fight given his age. Yes the division still has a bunch of fat one trick ponies but it's not like they JDS / Cain days when there were no options for title fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Scapegoat posted:

but it's not like they JDS / Cain days when there were no options for title fights.

my dude they just made an interim heavyweight title fight, i read it in a tweet about 2 minutes ago as i type this, and i can't name either of the people fighting for it and i'm a mostly detached ex fan. imagine a casual viewer