Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
If I remember right there was no way to raise your triad level after you finished the missions, too - like, I think the only way to do that was to get some arena-mode DLC where you got pitted against waves of monks or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Morpheus posted:

If I remember right there was no way to raise your triad level after you finished the missions, too - like, I think the only way to do that was to get some arena-mode DLC where you got pitted against waves of monks or something

Nah, you could replay missions for more triad xp, same as cop, though you could only get the points that were left. So if you got 2 triangles worth the first time, you would need to max out all three to get the last triangle worth of xp. the dlc just made it easier to max out and let you do it way earlier.

But the game maxing you out with cop xp around the time Wei stop caring about it is a subject for the other thread since it's a really neat thing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Thing dragging down Sleeping Dogs is that they never made a sequel

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kazil posted:

The dogs are sleeping

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Worse yet they tried to make a ftp multiplayer only sequel that no one wanted and got canned practically immediately after it was revealed

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The director's cut packed in so many extra missions that maxing cop level was a cinch.

That shootout in the nightclub, now that was a bastard of a level.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The trick to maxing out Cop exp in the original release was to save up the Drugs Busts on the TV until you had a level 2 or 3 Police Outfit which wasn't too hard to get.

Gaius Marius posted:

Worse yet they tried to make a ftp multiplayer only sequel that no one wanted and got canned practically immediately after it was revealed
Triad Wars was so weird.
I was in the closed beta (and played a touch of the open) for it and the best was to describe it was Imagine if that Facebook Mafia Wars game had a video game bolted onto it.
To attack someone's Important Gang Business you had to weaken it up first by attacking Side Activities. Do enough of those and you could attack Important Gang Business. But attacking things was actually driving around the Sleeping Dogs world and actually beating up AI in an area.

It wasn't an open world free-for-all with other players loving about like GTA Online was by the way, even though that was already out for 1 and a half years by that point.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Outside of Red Dead 2 and rear end Creed 3, what are the worst scoring systems in games?

Advance Wars' system always annoyed me. Time is fine, they set a modest time limit on most missions for max score. Technique is annoying, since you need to have a high units:death ratio. Power is terrible. You have to kill 10% of the enemy's total deployed forces in one turn.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arivia posted:

Also Vivec gets much easier to navigate as you play the game, both from learning how it's set up and because better ranks in Athletics and Acrobatics make it a giant gymnasium. Don't need to go down if you can jump over!

I mean, you can say that about the game as a whole. Its reputation had me fearing it'd be impossible to wrap my head around, but the general layout is pretty easy to grok. It's just that everything is so separated out and assembled weird.

I also foolishly thought that maybe annoying to navigate architecture was a Dunmer cultural quirk, but no, the Imperial forts throughout Vvardenfell are also laid out in impeccably dogshit ways.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

credburn posted:

Well I beat Assassin's Creed: Origins and here are the things I hated about it:

Punching someone in the throat and them wallowing on the ground is not an "assassination." Man before you get the hidden blade, you make an entire camp look like a nightmare day care situation, everyone just whining and holding their stomach and rolling around on the dirt.

Oh man, I forgot about that :lmao:
It was like "what the hell game am I playing here? I am supposed to be killing people!"

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
All of my memories of Vivec involve a lot of levitating.

Morrowind is obviously well-loved, often for good reason. I really liked its quirky characterisation, its immense world-building (they've really just been building on it bit by bit since, by my reckoning) and how you're more or less given free rein to play around with a skill set that's meant to be broken over your knee. Like you, however, having played Oblivion and Skyrim first, there are a lot of comforts I missed when I played it. I'm a lot kinder to the later games in general, Oblivion especially, so I understand your position that it would be nice to have more of a balance. I think it's almost obligatory to play it with a good graphics mod these days too, because so many of the outlying areas look so bad and are miserable to slog through. Obviously that's not the game's fault, just a bit of an inevitability due to it being so old.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kazil posted:

They were working on a sequel with Wei returning along with another playable character (IIRC a dirty cop) but I don't think it got very far in development.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

JackSplater posted:

Advance Wars' system always annoyed me. Time is fine, they set a modest time limit on most missions for max score. Technique is annoying, since you need to have a high units:death ratio. Power is terrible. You have to kill 10% of the enemy's total deployed forces in one turn.

I didn't like Valkyrie Chronicle's. Your rank for a mission was purely the number of turns it took you to capture the objective, so to get the best score you pretty much had to use all your command points to make a scout run for the objective, take out the couple of guys actually in it and then dive in. It felt like an an extremely game-y abuse of systems but the threshold for an S rank was so tight they must have intended it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC one of the Metal Gear games had a mission rating but it prioritized time spent over anything else.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MGSV had a good system because it was possible to get the best ranking without being stealthy, or without being fast, you just had to be good at either one of those things. so you could be slow and stealthy or go guns blazing and get the objective done fast without being pushed into a required playstyle as long as you executed that playstyle well.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yep that's Phantom Pain. I remember S ranking the last mission by just dropping in a tank and driving straight through the big 3 stage camp. Also has that one mission to blow up some satellite dishes that you can S rank without even leaving the chopper, you just use the mini gun to get them

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That chopper one is because it still works in the later subsistence challenge version of that mission, where you have to collect weapons and items in the mission rather than using your usual loadout. But that doesn't apply until you exit the helicopter! :madmax:

My favorite legit S rank is in that game, too. It's an assassination mission, but I ran straight to the outer limits of the fort the target was in, then pulled up my sniper scope to start seeing where he was. Turns out, he instantly stepped out of a door straight into where I was aiming, I headshotted him and booked it straight back out of the active war zone. I'm not sure it's physically possible to complete that mission faster than running in, instantly shooting them, and running straight back out.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Oct 26, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MGSV was so good, even with the missions/plot so obviously unfinished.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Lobok posted:

Oh man, I forgot about that :lmao:
It was like "what the hell game am I playing here? I am supposed to be killing people!"

i think it is really funny to spend a minute creeping up on them just to have them rolling on the grouns like you knocked the wind out of them

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think it's almost obligatory to play it with a good graphics mod these days too, because so many of the outlying areas look so bad and are miserable to slog through. Obviously that's not the game's fault, just a bit of an inevitability due to it being so old.

That's actually another thing that doesn't bother me at all. I think I have a couple of cosmetic mods that make the weather nicer and the skyboxes higher quality, but otherwise I think the graphics are charming as-is.

Some stuff admittedly doesn't hold up well - full armor sets start to look pretty muddled and noisy, and of course the classic enchantment cling film look (though I appreciate how screamingly obvious it is when assessing how tough someone is). Though I guess also my whole Thing is wanting to stick as close to vanilla as possible within reason. I chafe at the idea of trying to evaluate a game after Ship of Theseusing the hell out of it.

There's also the absurd extreme - I happened across someone streaming random character/random start runs but had to click away because they had clearly piled on every "improved" or "high definition" texture pack and the game looked like puke.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The worst thing about Skyrim to me was how the home-building DLC was ruined by the "decorations" consisting of a bunch of dead rabbits hanging around! "Nice cozy kitchen, how c- JESUS loving CHRIST!"

I can't remember how I got around it, I think I replaced the models with something else.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Hel posted:

But the game maxing you out with cop xp around the time Wei stop caring about it is a subject for the other thread since it's a really neat thing.

yeah it's timed pretty well and you can just go ham wrecking people and trying to cause as much harm as possible to finish out the triad experience

i love sleeping dogs. GOTY 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
While it did have an intended psychological effect, it could still be annoying how cop XP could generally only be lost, not gained. So if you were trying to stay conscious of it, all it took was nudging a single garbage can with your car or w/e to instantly go from 3 shields to effectively 2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It also does not pair well with the fact you are doing things as a cop in situations where you lose cop XP a lot of the time. I am aware throwing this man onto a swordfish head is a cruel act that would normally make me a bad police officer. Sadly, HKPD, you promoted me to head of sick street kung-fu.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

The worst thing about Skyrim to me was how the home-building DLC was ruined by the "decorations" consisting of a bunch of dead rabbits hanging around! "Nice cozy kitchen, how c- JESUS loving CHRIST!"

I can't remember how I got around it, I think I replaced the models with something else.

you mean the night's dinner? that's what those models are there for.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I mean it's better than hanging up live rabbits right?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Waiter, why is there a dead fish on my plate?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This reminds me of a moment from RE4 that had me clawing at my face. In the hunter's lodge, first house you walk into in RE4, there's a gigantic pile of chopped wood stacked against the wall of the entryway of the wooden home. Stack it outside in the shed Ganados drat, that poo poo is SUCH a fire hazard!!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

My home is entirely a stack of wood

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CJacobs posted:

It also does not pair well with the fact you are doing things as a cop in situations where you lose cop XP a lot of the time. I am aware throwing this man onto a swordfish head is a cruel act that would normally make me a bad police officer. Sadly, HKPD, you promoted me to head of sick street kung-fu.

Did you lose cop XP for that? I thought you didn't, but would for the aforementioned nudging s garbage can

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ilmucche posted:

Did you lose cop XP for that? I thought you didn't, but would for the aforementioned nudging s garbage can

I'm pretty sure you don't, cop xp in general was mostly just playing well: not killing civilians, don't crash cars, don't steal cars and the one that's actually annoying not mistiming when vaulting over cover.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know I complained about it before but Lies of P's way of putting little obstacles to block off areas is completely ridiculous. Late in the game you return to the starting area but it has changed and it blocks off a couple of older paths with piles of luggage. Pretty sure the guy who regularly rips the doors off of safes could move like three suitcases.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

I know I complained about it before but Lies of P's way of putting little obstacles to block off areas is completely ridiculous. Late in the game you return to the starting area but it has changed and it blocks off a couple of older paths with piles of luggage. Pretty sure the guy who regularly rips the doors off of safes could move like three suitcases.

Maybe he's not a loving scab? Baggage handling is a union job.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Is there some other place to put the rabbits you hunted for dinner?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I have pet rabbits and thus any game that forces me to kill lagomorphs bums me out. :shrug:

"Man, I'm enjoying [game], but all the dog death is kinda dragging it down." "Well, dogs DO die. :smug:"

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Lobok posted:

Maybe he's not a loving scab? Baggage handling is a union job.

Like 80% of the enemies are robot butlers, chimneysweeps, and mutated people in a company town/the poor district.

Pinocchio is absolutely a scab.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Pyf thing dragging (most) games down: dog /wolf enemies always suck to fight as do ghosts.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Pyf thing dragging (most) games down: dog /wolf enemies always suck to fight as do ghosts.

Not a fan of Fatal Frame, I see? :haw:

Several games have had big ol' predators be an instant-death button: bears in Red Dead, eagles in one of the Far Crys, cougars in GTAV. What's the deadliest wolf in games?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Not a fan of Fatal Frame, I see? :haw:

Several games have had big ol' predators be an instant-death button: bears in Red Dead, eagles in one of the Far Crys, cougars in GTAV. What's the deadliest wolf in games?

Sekiro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wolves hunt in packs