Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

DrSunshine posted:

Hearing all these reports of people with 4090s getting 10fps and stuff makes me really wonder what kind of machines are the developers using? Are they testing the game on normal computers or are they testing it on very specific, insanely powerful supercomputers?

In my experience, during development you get very used to bad performance because a lot of the time you're running a debug build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Hearing all these reports of people with 4090s getting 10fps and stuff makes me really wonder what kind of machines are the developers using? Are they testing the game on normal computers or are they testing it on very specific, insanely powerful supercomputers?

perfomance also seems to be all over the place, so people with 4090s may be getting absolute dogshit perfomance while someone with a 1070 can be cruising along with a nice if potatoy expereicne

though 4k seems to be the killer so once again the smart 2k high fps buyer wins again :smuggo:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

DrSunshine posted:

They probably just turned off the 3 settings dragging down performance like the rest of us. Alternatively maybe they're usually running debug builds and stuff that are slower than what would be released anyway.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm downloading the game now.

I don't need 60 fps graphics in my city building game, as long as the mouse cursor can move smoothly.

Would people be happier if they had released it as "early access", with a note that the game is feature complete, but they want to collect more data on how it performs on a wide range of machines while working on optimization and perhaps default settings? Perhaps only 1-2 months of EA like that.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
A lot of people complaining about FPS might be well served by turning off their fps overlay and just playing the game.

Playing last night on my 3 year old rig following the standard setting adjustments and game felt just fine. An occasional stutter when swapping infoviews, but besides that it felt no worse than cs1.

There are definitely some ui/gameplay issues that need polishing for sure. But compared to kerbal2 release this game is just fine.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

explosivo posted:

This is crazy, like right out the gate trying to temper people's expectations of even being able to hit 60 as a target.

Pushing 30fps to PC gamers has always worked well..

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tarnop posted:

In my experience, during development you get very used to bad performance because a lot of the time you're running a debug build

piratepilates posted:

They probably just turned off the 3 settings dragging down performance like the rest of us. Alternatively maybe they're usually running debug builds and stuff that are slower than what would be released anyway.

I'm no software developer, as you can probably tell, so this was an enlightening post, thanks!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

DrSunshine posted:

I'm no software developer, as you can probably tell, so this was an enlightening post, thanks!

There's also the other reality behind it: there's never enough time, there's always more things to polish, and what is the alternative if you run out of time? You either delay (big financial repercussions, publisher isn't going to like it, and as much as fans loudly proclaim they should delay, they'd be just as upset if it was delayed), or you ship and hope to patch later. Every bit of performance optimization comes at the expense of time to polish or implement something else.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I also wonder how much better the game would have been received if by default all of those settings were off. Like, it shouldn't be on the player to have to search around to find an optimized list of things to do, even if they send out a steam update explaining what to do. Just make it the default and people can mess in their settings if they want to screw around.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

piratepilates posted:

There's also the other reality behind it: there's never enough time, there's always more things to polish, and what is the alternative if you run out of time? You either delay (big financial repercussions, publisher isn't going to like it, and as much as fans loudly proclaim they should delay, they'd be just as upset if it was delayed), or you ship and hope to patch later. Every bit of performance optimization comes at the expense of time to polish or implement something else.

Yeah, I've never worked on a game that was Done, only games that were Done Enough. It's rare that the devs get to decide what that means

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

A lot of people complaining about FPS might be well served by turning off their fps overlay and just playing the game.

This. My gaming laptop is 3 years old and certainly not top spec, but after the recommended tweaks it's running fine with occasional stutters on zoom.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Clouseau posted:

I also wonder how much better the game would have been received if by default all of those settings were off. Like, it shouldn't be on the player to have to search around to find an optimized list of things to do, even if they send out a steam update explaining what to do. Just make it the default and people can mess in their settings if they want to screw around.

I wonder if if might be an optics thing. A game being set so the graphics are so high that it lags the game and forces the player to turn them down might piss them off, but if the game is set to low and is playable then a decent number of people will just go "wow the graphics for this are poo poo" as their first impression.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Eric the Mauve posted:

Eh. I may be in the minority but I don't really care about my city builder getting 60 fps. But it definitely should be able to maintain a smooth 30 as a minimum without stuttering.

They should make the game look simpler until it runs at 60 fps.

Consul_Incitatus
Aug 31, 2014
Maybe this is because I came into it expecting terrible performance, or maybe it's because I turned off all of the settings I saw folks recommend before my first time playing, but honestly the performance doesn't bother me much at all.

What does bother me is how finicky the roads and grids are. It's worse than CS1. I shouldn't have to play with 5 different toggles every time I want to lay down new roads.

Also, I have only tried two of the maps thus far, but none of the maps really jump out as enjoyable to me. The first one I tried had virtually no flat spots to easily build on. I'm really annoyed that there isn't a map builder packaged with vanilla.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve seen a lot of folks say they want zoning toggles and I do too, but there is a not too difficult work around seen in this vid only about 1min in:

https://youtu.be/g9yESIzeyQ0?si=vWc0Z_ayZOqwzqOL

Most people figure out the townhomes one by themselves but the road replacement he uses for single family homes is slick.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Tarnop posted:

Yeah, I've never worked on a game that was Done, only games that were Done Enough. It's rare that the devs get to decide what that means

its the old Lorne Michaels saying about SNL "The show doesn't go on because it's ready; it goes on because it's 11:30."

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
are people sharing saved games anywhere? i like seeing peoples stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yup. If it isn't playable that's one thing but if you're getting big mad because it's at 40 instead of 60 the problem is you.

I have no idea what FPS any of my games run at. Join me. It's a good life.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Just eat the slop, please don't complain about the slop.

And we wonder why games aren't finished before release.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I keep being terrible at planning and with the gated unlocks my starter town is already a hot mess of basically local road grids only with a few 4 lane roads upgraded on the most trafficked stretches connecting R to C to I. If anyone has a primer guide on how to properly plan road infrastructure that a casual could follow, I would be grateful.

Do you guys just tear down everything and replace on the fly when this happens? Move entire neighborhoods around etc? I definitely need to put down more roads and/or some roundabouts now or gridlock will be devastating soon. Hate that you have to manually move buildings like schools etc when you want to make a road bigger, if there is space behind it it should just move back 1 tile or 2 automatically!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

err posted:

are people sharing saved games anywhere? i like seeing peoples stuff.

This will very quickly become impossible as everyone is running 700 mods/assets and no two players will ever have the same modlist

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Consul_Incitatus posted:

Maybe this is because I came into it expecting terrible performance, or maybe it's because I turned off all of the settings I saw folks recommend before my first time playing, but honestly the performance doesn't bother me much at all.

What does bother me is how finicky the roads and grids are. It's worse than CS1. I shouldn't have to play with 5 different toggles every time I want to lay down new roads.

This is pretty much how I'm feeling at the moment, but for every route placement tool in the game. Pipes, power lines, all of it. If you think the road tools are bad, get ready for pain if you decide to build a subway.

The performance is totally playable, I just have an expectation that if a game is going to stress my system this hard it should look better than CS2. I'm going to play with noise cancelling headphones on tonight, maybe if I can't hear the fans going it won't feel so bad

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

This will very quickly become impossible as everyone is running 700 mods/assets and no two players will ever have the same modlist

Since they're using their own bespoke Paradox mod ecosystem, when you load a save it should just be a one-click to download and activate all the mods used in a save, right?

...Right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think it's more fun to not bulldoze too much. In a real city, the right of way of a road is a magical thing and it tends to stay stable over time. There are cities with road layouts that haven't significantly changed in literally thousands of years. So I try to make bulldozing roads a last resort option (once the area is set and running; you'll bulldoze and rebuild a lot when putting it together since the tools don't do exactly what you intended) and instead work around them, it makes limitations that are interesting to play with.

That said it's a game so do what you gotta do. :v: For a game that does not handle hills well, this River Delta map is hilly as all gently caress and it's rough man. I'm considering buying a bunch of tiles, terraforming them, then starting my city again over there and blowing up the original.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Maybe the first post should be updated with resources for C:S2, since its out.

.....namely the performance fixes and beginner tutorial videos, since it's all unrelated C:S1 stuff like recommended mods now.

Doesn't look like it's been updated in 8 years, and Dr. Space Kablooey hasn't posted in here in 7.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grand Fromage posted:

That said it's a game so do what you gotta do. :v: For a game that does not handle hills well, this River Delta map is hilly as all gently caress and it's rough man. I'm considering buying a bunch of tiles, terraforming them, then starting my city again over there and blowing up the original.

My city is on Twin Mountains or whatever it's called and good lord. I might post some pics later, definitely :nms:

Consul_Incitatus
Aug 31, 2014
First map I tried was the sweeping plains. Nothing flat. Tried to build on it three times before swapping to river delta. Now I'm on Lakeland following the city planner plays tutorial. At least this one is playable.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What about mods? Any way to get more maps? Like the Tampere preorder map.. if you didn't preorder?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

piratepilates posted:

Maybe the first post should be updated with resources for C:S2, since its out.

.....namely the performance fixes and beginner tutorial videos, since it's all unrelated C:S1 stuff like recommended mods now.

Doesn't look like it's been updated in 8 years, and Dr. Space Kablooey hasn't posted in here in 7.

Should probably just be a new thread IMHO

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Editor and mods are coming at some indeterminate future point. Probably not that far off since they gave a bunch of big CS1 mod/asset makers early access to it to get started.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Was this done earlier already? Sorry for not using the original font, too much :effort:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
FWIW, people on the GeForce NOW subreddit are saying the game runs well (on the premium, 4080 tier). CO has a limited number of vouchers for a free month of it if you connect your Steam/PDX accounts* and register, so I'd recommend checking that out if you're having issues.

*I'm guessing as damage control

Ihmemies posted:

Was this done earlier already? Sorry for not using the original font, too much :effort:

:discourse:

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 25, 2023

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Ihmemies posted:

You can use this: https://deathgenerator.com/#sc2k

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dang, that's a bookmark

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.
So I noticed a commercial building on fire and zoomed in to have a look, didn't pause in time to catch the fire engine doing its work but did find the cause(?) of the fire:

errr ignore the city name

!

poor chap

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'm actually having a very good time in this game, already had someone tweet something about an aurora borealis, and when I tilted up there it was, situated directly in my game :pika:

Also the renaming everything is very funny to me

Literally the only company struggling in my entire city

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Losing an hour of progress to a crash and no autosave saps my desire to play. Why is autosave default disabled...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks. I think sc2k used a custom sprite tileset font, and copying the letters one by one in photoshop.. no. Of course someone had coded a tool to generate memes based that!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The underground road construction is madness. Even worse is the underground subway construction. It snaps to your old one, but it's actually just a lower level and isn't connected. No good way to see what is where.

Building subway stations is madness, but connecting those rails is worse. You see a faint grey outline of where the stations are, that's it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Vahakyla posted:

The underground road construction is madness. Even worse is the underground subway construction. It snaps to your old one, but it's actually just a lower level and isn't connected. No good way to see what is where.

Building subway stations is madness, but connecting those rails is worse. You see a faint grey outline of where the stations are, that's it!

Stations also seem to be at random depths depending on how the area above looks. I've had stations at -40m, -30m and -20m, trying to figure out how to connect those is driving me crazy what with the rails snapping to the position of the rail horizontally but not vertically.