Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

By law it is either the first Tuesday in March, or one week (7 days) before the first other primary, whichever is earlier

So how exactly does this work? I mean, why does a state get to dictate the terms of a federal matter? What happens if Nevada passes a law today that say that they get to have their primary on the last Friday of April or one week before any other primary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Randalor posted:

So how exactly does this work? I mean, why does a state get to dictate the terms of a federal matter? What happens if Nevada passes a law today that say that they get to have their primary on the last Friday of April or one week before any other primary?

How I understand it is that it's not the state law dictating a federal matter, it's the state dictating how it reacts to the primary date.

So whenever the earliest primary is, New Hampshire must schedule theirs before that, in accordance to their state laws.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Nonsense posted:

I believe Johnson will win on first gavel, but Republican speakers have horrible workplace environments.

Some dems absent. Are they going to let the republicans eek it out?

Edit: nm they showed up

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 25, 2023

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

MegaZeroX posted:

538 did an article back in 2019 about this, where South Carolina ranks 46th in matching with the share of democrats. Black people make up 58% of dems in SC, where they are only 20.4% of the democratic base. Its even more distorted than NH, since about 61.2% of democrats are white. New Hampshire ranks 34th in matching with the general Dem electorate.

The most representative would be Illinois, New Jersey, and New York. Florida, Nevada, and Pennsylvania are the most representative swing states, though whether the former can still be considered one is up for debate I suppose

The problem with Illinois and New York is that they're huge, and New Jersey, while small, shares the same media market as NYC so buying TV ads there is stupid expensive. It's super important to have the first primary reflect the overall demographic of the US imo, but it's just as important that it doesn't overwhelmingly favor candidates with more money. This is also why I oppose an all-on-the-same-day primary system, I think the sequential order does a lot to help candidates who might not be as rich or well-known.

Based on that 538 article, I'd pick Delaware tbh.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Randalor posted:

Political parties are private organizations. States can choose to facilitate the primary elections for political parties. Many of them do because it gives their state influence and drives money/press to them.

Some states do not sponsor the primaries for political parties and that is generally when they hold a caucus or a nominating convention that are run by the party.

Any political party can legally decide to abandoned primaries and select via ring toss game. Primaries were just a reform by people who wanted to make it more democratic and lessen the influence of party bosses. They aren't legally required or part of the federal government.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

South Carolina composition:
25% black
7% hispanic

New Hampshire composition:
2% black
4% hispanic

I'm really sorry but as angry as you might be about it, the dreaded state of South Carolina is much closer to the actual demographics of the country. Yes this stays true even if the dems were mean to you.

The country is 12% black and 19% Hispanic. I think we should get the primary in Colorado

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Colorado should absolutely be among the first primary states.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

My ideal solution is to pick a rotating group of states based on those with the weirdest local delicacies or parochial economic interests.

That way we can watch politicians pretend they have extremely passionate positions on USDA regulations that differentiate between beef herd and dairy animals or argue that clams on pizza is the only authentic way to eat a slice.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I want presidential candidates to have to declare their stance on pork roll vs Taylor ham

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Toebone posted:

I want presidential candidates to have to declare their stance on pork roll vs Taylor ham

Fetterman made Sheetz vs Wawa a pivotal part of his campaign and he won. Maybe playing up regional rivalries is a good way to win elections.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Toebone posted:

I want to see someone legitimately defend Cincinnati chili on a national stage. And/or have a debate about Chicago vs. NY style pizza.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Randalor posted:

Primaries aren't considered a federal matter. Political parties are considered separate from government in most respects, and states may issue laws as they wish.

If Nevada, or any other state, wrote a law to have theirs be first by some amount of days, then there would be an obvious conflict, but NH has had the first primary since 1920, and it really hasn't been challenged. The Iowa first caucus being before in 1972 was a push but it just began being emphasized as the first primary. As other states pushed theirs earlier and earlier, this caused NH to eventually have a January 8th NH primary back in 2008 lol.

I want to reemphasize is that this can gently caress with dem chances in NH. People like to think of it as safe blue since NH hasn't sent a republican to either the house or senate since 2016 and hasn't voted for a republican president since 2000, but New Hampshirites regularly split tickets, and we've had a local republican trifecta since 2020. National republicans being cray-cray is the main reason that dems win the seats for federal elections, but loving with the primary system could push NH the other way.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My ideal solution is to pick a rotating group of states based on those with the weirdest local delicacies or parochial economic interests.

That way we can watch politicians pretend they have extremely passionate positions on USDA regulations that differentiate between beef herd and dairy animals or argue that clams on pizza is the only authentic way to eat a slice.

I would take sick pleasure in watching DeSantis endure Malort

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Republicans seem to have fallen in line. Johnson looks like he’s gonna have this.

Next big question, do they change the rule for single member motion to vacate.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Make the Hawaii primary among the first in the nation, have the libertarians argue that actually a distant government that does not comprehend or care for local issues is good because it allows white men to go to resorts.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 5, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Wait they actually agreed on a guy?

This guy is real bad isn't he

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://twitter.com/HouseJudiciary/status/1717183190463336780

he real bad

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
don't ask him his opinion on loose immigration policies to meet the demand for labor though

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

He's a Louisiana conservative that tries to appear more moderate than he probably is and is able to succeed in part due to being a sort of unknown quantity and blank slate. He has not accrued the sort of personal grudges that might impede his path the way that McCarthy, Jordan and Emmer had. But essentially hes a younger Scalise.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

theyve agreed on a guy up until anything needs to actually be done at which point their coalition will immediately collapse again. especially since the leaders going to be a guy with absolutely zero experience in whipping votes, leadership or leaning on people and is being picked mainly because his unknownness means hes the only dude who hasnt pissed everyone off yet

for the most part theyre just tired of looking like rubes for three straight weeks but that feeling will pass quickly

good thing theres nothing that needs to be done immediately that they would have to talk to a democrat for like a war in the middle east or keeping the government open

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 25, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

the key to american manufacturing: baby factories

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MegaZeroX posted:

Primaries aren't considered a federal matter. Political parties are considered separate from government in most respects, and states may issue laws as they wish.

If Nevada, or any other state, wrote a law to have theirs be first by some amount of days, then there would be an obvious conflict, but NH has had the first primary since 1920, and it really hasn't been challenged. The Iowa first caucus being before in 1972 was a push but it just began being emphasized as the first primary. As other states pushed theirs earlier and earlier, this caused NH to eventually have a January 8th NH primary back in 2008 lol.

I want to reemphasize is that this can gently caress with dem chances in NH. People like to think of it as safe blue since NH hasn't sent a republican to either the house or senate since 2016 and hasn't voted for a republican president since 2000, but New Hampshirites regularly split tickets, and we've had a local republican trifecta since 2020. National republicans being cray-cray is the main reason that dems win the seats for federal elections, but loving with the primary system could push NH the other way.

There will definitely be some people who are peeved about it, but I think the fact that there was basically no real primary on the Democratic side this year will also blunt the amount of people who care.

Although, I do have to admit that it is a bit of an end of an era that in 2028 we won't see presidential candidates releasing their policy platform with headers that look like this:

- Economy
- Corn
- Healthcare
- Climate Change
- Ethanol
- Gun Control

or that CNN probably won't have dispatched a reporter to bring you live results of that town in New Hampshire with 13 people who all vote at once at 12:01 am on primary day.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I would rather we had all primaries on one day and also had RCV all around. The current system only exists because it’s a relic from the past.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Looks like they might actually elect this random mystery speaker

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 5, 2023

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I would rather we had all primaries on one day and also had RCV all around. The current system only exists because it’s a relic from the past.

that would make it essentially impossible for grassroots candidates to gain any traction. Immediate nationwide pirmary means its mainly down to who has the most money basically immediately

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Its definitely a relic. Moving all primaries to one day though would make it even harder for non establishment candidates to get anywhere since they'd need to fund-raise and deploy ads nationally to even have a chance. To the extent they are able to gain traction at all, its by being able to focus on a smaller media market and try to snowball that into earned media before super tuesday.

e: beaten

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

e: nm

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 25, 2023

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There will definitely be some people who are peeved about it, but I think the fact that there was basically no real primary on the Democratic side this year will also blunt the amount of people who care.

Although, I do have to admit that it is a bit of an end of an era that in 2028 we won't see presidential candidates releasing their policy platform with headers that look like this:

- Economy
- Corn
- Healthcare
- Climate Change
- Ethanol
- Gun Control

or that CNN probably won't have dispatched a reporter to bring you live results of that town in New Hampshire with 13 people who all vote at once at 12:01 am on primary day.

Corn is more because of Iowa tbh. NH only has a few thousand commercial farms, and they are mostly small, and typically more focused on livestock than actual agriculture.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

OK that's it, Mike Johnson has the votes

Edit: we need a new thread title to honor this random mystery speaker

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It makes sense that Rs would fall in line behind the anti-woman 2020 election conspiracy theorist actually. They finally found the worst choice and universally said "yeah that's the guy!"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MegaZeroX posted:

Corn is more because of Iowa tbh. NH only has a few thousand commercial farms, and they are mostly small, and typically more focused on livestock than actual agriculture.

Yes, I know. Iowa and New Hampshire are both being removed from the early states (for the Democratic side only) in 2024. They technically are going to review and swap the first 5 states every cycle, but the criteria makes it basically impossible for Iowa or NH to get back in the first spot for 2028 either.

Every candidate releasing a political platform with subheaders for "Corn" and claiming to have deeply held beliefs about ethanol farming techniques was a result of Iowa being first.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Have they voted to vacate Johnson yet?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

smoobles posted:

It makes sense that Rs would fall in line behind the anti-woman 2020 election conspiracy theorist actually. They finally found the worst choice and universally said "yeah that's the guy!"

If the vote was to happen after the scrutiny Johnson will inevitably get, he might not have the votes. But since they can sort of squeeze him in before everyone learns who he is, it'll work. Now they need a rules change double quick to remove his vulnerability.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

that would make it essentially impossible for grassroots candidates to gain any traction. Immediate nationwide pirmary means its mainly down to who has the most money basically immediately

It also completely invalidates a lot of forms of political activism. Having a few small/mid-sized states go first means the candidates need to do a lot of retail politics and building bridges with local/regional elected leaders. A lot of folks tend to dismiss those parts of politics ("kissing babies", "smoky backrooms") but they are a part of politics. Insofar as the Presidential primary is a test to see who is a good Presidential candidate, getting tested on those parts is important. When you become President you need to be able to do that stuff, after all. It's not just big speeches and expensive ads.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

some kinda jackal posted:

I'd give til end of day

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

smoobles posted:

It was really more of a "Yeah... that's the guy."

He was just the candidate who wasn't hated by the far right for ideological reasons who also didn't have 1/3 of the caucus hate him as a person that offered themselves up after people were begging to stop the charade for three weeks.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

He's apparently going to be allowed one short term deal to avoid a shutdown. So I'll give him until about 2 weeks after the next deal after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

some kinda jackal posted:

no the government shutdown isnt until november