Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

kazil posted:

Did Elon suggest it? Or did one of his dickriders suggest it and he did the noncommittal "yeah" poo poo and everyone ran with it?

Good question, and that is probably what happened. I could go back and research this, but then that would mean wading back into Elon tweets and hahahaha, nope.

Edit: Big thanks to holtemon for doing the work and finding the exchange that sparked it off.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596268804413476864

A silly little smartphone should be easy lol

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The man builds rockets to Mars

I saw it on a Facebook meme

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I want a phone that costs $5,000 and explodes if you drop it

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Why not just tell people to sideload android? It will likely be WAY safer than any Elon secured store.

Elon app store where the app says free but you get charged $9.99/minute for using it without consent.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

smoobles posted:

I want a phone that costs $5,000 and explodes if you drop it

And also explodes if you put it in your pocket. And if you hold it too hard for more than a few minutes.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

It would just be a re-branded chinese android phone with a big T pasted to the back.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Stop letting so many overt nazis on my $44B app? No way jose, I'm going to spend even more money to ensure that those nazis have phones that can run my $44B app

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Tarkus posted:

It would just be a re-branded chinese android phone with a big T pasted to the back.

shape it like a T maybe add some spikes like Dethklok

like everything about the DethPhone really

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Shocked he didn’t try to push that stupid grift freedom phone thing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Bsky code: bsky-social-4qmcm-qqryw

Post if you take it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

pixaal posted:

shape it like a T maybe add some spikes like Dethklok

like everything about the DethPhone really

It hurts my face. I really hates it.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Which was the rocket he made that was sent to Mars again? When did it go?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He launched it in April but it was so efficient it skipped Mars entirely and went straight to Doom II.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I've been out of town but I saw a reel of Elon presenting his hideous CYBBERTRUK and watching the "bulletproof" windows get easily broken. Was that Elon being an idiot loving failure as usual or was it some kind of staged "subversive" "comedy" bit?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Hazo posted:

I've been out of town but I saw a reel of Elon presenting his hideous CYBBERTRUK and watching the "bulletproof" windows get easily broken. Was that Elon being an idiot loving failure as usual or was it some kind of staged "subversive" "comedy" bit?

The thing where they throw a ball at it? That's years old at this point. He100% expected the bullet proof glass to just bounce it.

The new one we're laughing about is in the post under me, (they avoided windows there which is why I'm sure you aren't talking about it)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
They also shot the side of the cybertruck with an airsoft gun and marked it all up and now people are claiming those are speed holes

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

If Telsa ever did a smartphone, I would put money on it being like the Escobar phones. Just some old stock Samsung phones with some Telsa/X foil glued on them with Elon's big dumb face drawn by AI as the wallpaper. He will charge way too much for them but people will buy it anyways.

Termyie fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 25, 2023

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

double post

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Tesseraction posted:

The Tesla phone is just that Samsung model that kept exploding a few years ago with a tesla logo unconvincingly covering the samsung logo.

also it makes you sterile

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
$12,000 upgrade to unlock Full Auto Texting

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

pixaal posted:

The thing where they throw a ball at it? That's years old at this point. He100% expected the bullet proof glass to just bounce it.

The new one we're laughing about is in the post under me, (they avoided windows there which is why I'm sure you aren't talking about it)

Oh ok, thanks. Yeah the ball video is the one I saw. What a total loser.

I doubt it'll happen but it would be great if the rumors were true about the Twitter shareholders or whoever getting mad enough that Elmo destroyed an established and successful brand that they yanked it back from him.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Elon will save us all

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The man will meme us to mars

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The first stainless steel cell phone

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Hazo posted:

I doubt it'll happen but it would be great if the rumors were true about the Twitter shareholders or whoever getting mad enough that Elmo destroyed an established and successful brand that they yanked it back from him.

There are not shareholders, twitter is private and owned almost entirely by Elon, I think Cathie Wood still has a stake

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
arent musk phone scam videos still being posted on youtube ? also i love how musk barks about "fake*" news poo poo on twitter, but doesnt seem to care that theres an entire genre of scam videos that say Tesla is making thing, and then a lovely cgi of a non existent thing is shown,

*aka the liberal bias of reality making his peepee hurt

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Literally 90% of ads on twitter are for cryptocurrency scams with a picture of elon musk, advertising that you can get 500% return on investment in just one month.

You know how spammers use poor spelling and grammar on purpose, to weed out smart people? Exact same thing. Anyone that thinks musk is smart is dumb enough to fall for these incredibly obvious scams.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Does anyone else remember when Elon briefly talked about maybe making his own smart phones, and then for like several days, his fans were gushing about how they just couldn't wait to buy their Tesla phone, and how awesome it was going to be and how much better it was going to be than iOS or Android, like this was a very real thing that was happening?

A Google search yielded this, and I spent a number of confused minutes trying to understand how I missed Tesla making phones, refrigerators, washers, and dryers.

Wasn't until I did another Google search where I figured out that this Tesla was founded in Czechoslovakia in 1946. Apparently the two Teslas worked out an agreement in 2010 but I doubt Elon knows (or cares) that there's already a Tesla phone on the market.

Gherkin Jerkin fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 25, 2023

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Sir Tonk posted:

also it makes you sterile

suddenly the xPhone is good

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Musk sent a car to space, how difficult can getting a rocket to Mars be?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

pixaal posted:

There are not shareholders, twitter is private and owned almost entirely by Elon, I think Cathie Wood still has a stake

I know there aren't shareholders, but there was some buzz a short time ago about some group being able to yank Twitter back from Elon if he keeps running it into the ground. Maybe it was investors or the former owners or loaners? I can't remember.

edit: vvvv it was probably the creditors

Hazo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 25, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The creditors can call time on their credit if there's a legally solid reason to believe their return on investment isn't going to be honoured. If Musk can't pay them back he forfeits either Tesla stock or Twitter.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

The other Twitter owners should yank Elon's arms and legs off

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Lol at banks being so poorly managedcorrupt that they just handed musk a bunch of money without caring about if he could ever pay it back. I wonder if it'll hurt his credit score.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
he should steal more money from his sycophants while they are still so numerous.

it wouldve been so easy to swipe a bunch of preorder $ for the fake xphone

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

War Wizard posted:

Lol at banks being so poorly managedcorrupt that they just handed musk a bunch of money without caring about if he could ever pay it back. I wonder if it'll hurt his credit score.

I'm curious about the decision making process. Like did they give the okay because he's Elon Musk, and obviously the man knows what he's doing? Or did they do it just because they know he's loaded and no matter what they'll get their share? Sure must be interesting to live in a world where a billion dollar loss is little more than a write off

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kit Walker posted:

I'm curious about the decision making process. Like did they give the okay because he's Elon Musk, and obviously the man knows what he's doing? Or did they do it just because they know he's loaded and no matter what they'll get their share? Sure must be interesting to live in a world where a billion dollar loss is little more than a write off
Bank processes at the scale Elon got his loan for operate off pure Austrian economics. They plug a bunch of values into formulas assuming rational actors and a little thing pops out green: acceptable risk, we can parcel and sell this in no time. Everything about this assuming a rational participant is extremely routine debt market making.

Add in an irrational participant and now you have a toxic asset and a VP frantically googling "how do you repo a tech company."

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Kit Walker posted:

They assumed he wasn't going to tank the value and start hacking things off destroying all value. They were like oh we can just seize Twitter if we have to, or he'll give us these very valuable TSLA shares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they did assume that he wouldnt just tank its value, but yeah they just gave him the loan because he's rich white male.