Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gripweed posted:

i feel like I've seen this exact post multiple times.

They’ve been posting this poo poo non stop for 7 years lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Clipperton posted:

that said, stancil's position (pro-immediate-ceasefire, no ground war) is a lot better than most centrists' takes on this. unfortunately he happens to be one of the most annoying people alive which is why he's getting yelled at

He was scolding leftists for not buying into Israel's lies about a misfiring rocket hitting the hospital. He even continued it over at Bluesky which is where I saw it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

He was scolding leftists for not buying into Israel's lies about a misfiring rocket hitting the hospital. He even continued it over at Bluesky which is where I saw it.

The best thing about Bluesky seems to be how hostile everyone is to Matt Yglesias types.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

Actually he's been flip-flopping like crazy on that (he was pushing the "Israeli artillery shell" thing for a while). He's got the "OSINT" brain worms, is all

His current position seems to be "endlessly relitigating Al-Ahli is a distraction from the atrocities Israel's doing *right now*" which I kind of agree with

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Protocols of the Elders of Liverlips

It is rather bizarre that there's this huge public debate over whether Israel indiscriminately bombed 17 hospitals or only 16, or whatever the number is.

It's fun seeing some thread regulars get introduced to Will Stancil, Main Character of C-SPAM.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'm very impressed with Stancil. I had never heard of him before a couple months ago, and he has risen to twitter enemy #1 purely off of how annoying his posts are.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Breadallelogram posted:

I'm very impressed with Stancil. I had never heard of him before a couple months ago, and he has risen to twitter enemy #1 purely off of how annoying his posts are.

It’s crazy too because Twitter is practically unusable now too. You really gotta stand out to become the new main character

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

he's that exact type of harebrained nitwit that who holds insane opinions that if he thought about for a single second would realize are both completely psychotic and directly contradictory, but instead has fully internalized that he's the smartest guy to have ever been born. used to be that you couldn't throw a rock without hitting one of these dinguses but they've all left to go post This! gifs at their favorite brands on threads. truly we live in a fallen era.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Nero shoving a fiddle up his rear end while Rome burns.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nero, turning to his horse, “I’m not gay I’m owning the libs.”

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

It's fun seeing some thread regulars get introduced to Will Stancil, Main Character of C-SPAM.

it's mainly people pleading to shut the gently caress up about him and stop posting his lukewarm dogshit takes

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Defining SBF as 'Francis Bitcoinhyde' was one of those Felix cuts that made me feel it was 2017 again.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Sephyr posted:

Defining SBF as 'Francis Bitcoinhyde' was one of those Felix cuts that made me feel it was 2017 again.

I don’t get it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

I don’t get it.

Red Dragon.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Matt being out of the hospital got me to hoot and holler in joy on the way to work this morning.

Right? It was also nice seeing Amber's pic of their kiddo (face censored, of course) holding his finger.:3:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Just started listening to the latest ep and giving a big hell yeah for the Matt news

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

And of course this somehow makes all the other times that they bombed hospitals, including this one, OK, and also somehow explains the fact that they threatened to bomb this hospital before they bombed it and bragged about bombing it afterwards.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Matt getting out of the hospital in time to see The Holdovers is such good news.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Majorian posted:

Red Dragon.

Right? It was also nice seeing Amber's pic of their kiddo (face censored, of course) holding his finger.:3:

All the parents I know on Instagram put emojis on their kids faces. It's a good compromise

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brigadier Sockface posted:

All the parents I know on Instagram put emojis on their kids faces. It's a good compromise

Yeah, it's a smart idea, especially if you're in any way a well-known person.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Kingfish posted:

I don’t get it.

The serial killer in Red Dragon/Manhunter is Francis "The Tooth Fairy" Dolarhyde.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
That, and the way the book described SBF as training his facial responses while people talked before lying through his teeth, like a human chatbot farming responses.

And the author was -charmed- by it!

The saddest thing is, if it was someone slightly less soulless, I'd cheer for anyone ripping off cryptodopes and 'angel' investors. But as SBF and the WeWork psycho showed, it's meat robots with lovely algorithms all the way down.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Felix is right about wrestling making you crazy. I wrestled in high school and I'm extremely broke brained and think everything bad in my life is my fault.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Didn't know what Felix was talking about at first because he said Yakub wrong. Thought he said Yakov.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Yakov, the evil scientist who created slavs

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
i really want a Fighting in the Age of Lonliness part 2, or at least more felix on combat sports content

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sephyr posted:

the bit from episode 301 where they riff on Trump as Buffalo Bill is one of my all time favorite Chapo moments.

"Folks, she's a great big fat person!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Vargatron posted:

Felix is right about wrestling making you crazy. I wrestled in high school and I'm extremely broke brained and think everything bad in my life is my fault.
I was stunned at the anecdote about Mark Coleman. I saw a video of him several years ago, where he challenged a competing college wrestler to take him down in a hotel lobby, and the guy couldn't do it. Coleman would have been at least 50 at the time. Coleman, incidentally, was also a victim of Dr. Strauss.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Head Bee Guy posted:

i really want a Fighting in the Age of Lonliness part 2, or at least more felix on combat sports content

Same, but check out Napoleon Blownspart stuff on YT if you have not. Good fare.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Head Bee Guy posted:

I think he's said he's not that into it anymore

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

net work error posted:

I think he's said he's not that into it anymore

god bless Felix and his quarterly special interests that he will riff on every episode for a while.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

knausgaard in the age of loneliness

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

fortnite in the age of loneliness

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

counterstrike global offensive in the age of loneliness

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

3 hr movie mindset with Brendan :popeye:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

podcast recorded in the back row of a showing of killers of the flower moon

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's normal to be into something for a few years and then move on from it.

MMA fandom used to feel very different in ways that are difficult to describe succinctly. Among other things, there was a feeling of being part of something that was by and for outsiders and weirdos. The change didn't happen all at once, but I think a lot of it was UFC buying up failing competitors in the late 00s, then the exclusive sponsorship deals in 2015 that ended the era of fighters wearing GOLDENPALACE.COM or CONDOM DEPOT on their shorts, followed by the sale to Endeavour. All of which cost athletes money and opportunities, and put them in a worse bargaining position vis a vis the UFC.

Most of Felix's weird interests seem to be connected in some way to thinking about loneliness and alienation, how people cope with it, and what celebrity means in a world of alienated individuals. I'm guessing he no longer finds MMA an interesting lens to examine those issues, at least no more interesting than football or basketball.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

It's normal to be into something for a few years and then move on from it.

MMA fandom used to feel very different in ways that are difficult to describe succinctly. Among other things, there was a feeling of being part of something that was by and for outsiders and weirdos. The change didn't happen all at once, but I think a lot of it was UFC buying up failing competitors in the late 00s, then the exclusive sponsorship deals in 2015 that ended the era of fighters wearing GOLDENPALACE.COM or CONDOM DEPOT on their shorts, followed by the sale to Endeavour. All of which cost athletes money and opportunities, and put them in a worse bargaining position vis a vis the UFC.

Most of Felix's weird interests seem to be connected in some way to thinking about loneliness and alienation, how people cope with it, and what celebrity means in a world of alienated individuals. I'm guessing he no longer finds MMA an interesting lens to examine those issues, at least no more interesting than football or basketball.

well yeah it's just endearing and relatable how he gets stuck on a subject or intrusive thought for a few weeks. I enjoy following his random passions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Felix doing a documentary of the Souls series.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

MonsieurChoc posted:

Felix doing a documentary of the Souls series.

"Time For My Stories" but FromSoft lore is legitimately something I would be excited about.

I'm never gonna play those games because I don't hate myself enough to git gud, but they always seem like fascinating worlds to hear about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They’re amazingly deep too. Even the more simple Sekiro story had a lot going on below the surface. Like the centipedes

FROM storytelling is great because it’s fit into the games, not into cinematics and lore dumps. You can be as involved as you like - take things at face value and boss rush, or really explore and contemplate the environment and it’s inhabitants.

A thousand times better than “hello player, here is the history of the world, I am a peasant” or reading poo poo off of computer terminals.