Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Retro42 posted:

Been mentioned before but I think Trump has FAR less COH than people think. His personal interest in this trial in particular is because it's his revenue stream yeah, but also if all his companies die all the bills are due and THAT isn't something he can handle I think. I don't know NY law but I'm assuming outstanding debt gets priority when his companies are dismantled.

He’s able to raise funds at a pace that far outruns the sanctions he’s been given. I think this is wishful accounting on your part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Honestly, this just seems like a path of least resistance type scenario where Trump just racks up millions of dollars in fines because it allows the Judge to punish him without having to make a possibly controversial decision to jail him for FREE SPEECH and allows Trump to keep tweeting as long as he donates six figures to the city's budget for every violation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Honestly, if Georgia can extract millions/billions of dollars from Trump for use by the taxpayers I'd say go for it.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
This is the NY bench trial (which hes already found guilty of fraud, and only the severity of the consequences is currently being tried) and not the Georgia criminal case.

Also some live reporting of Trump big baby storming out of the court room after the judge slapped down his request to make a ruling (on the spot) and end the trial.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Retro42 posted:

Been mentioned before but I think Trump has FAR less COH than people think. His personal interest in this trial in particular is because it's his revenue stream yeah, but also if all his companies die all the bills are due and THAT isn't something he can handle I think. I don't know NY law but I'm assuming outstanding debt gets priority when his companies are dismantled.

Friends, we're doing great in our quest to Make America Great Again. But deranged Jack Smith and the corrupt DoJ are intent on keeping YOUR president from being re-elected again. I need your help to make sure we WIN in 2024 and finish draining the swamp. Please click the button below and know that your contribution will help defeat crooked Joe Biden and the deep state. MAGA!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ShawnReynolds_/status/1717262813301702800

He's lamming it or he drank too much coffee

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Off to shoot someone on fifth avenue before losing his chance forever

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a bit more from the live blog

quote:

Asked if Trump or Weisselberg directed him to inflate the numbers on his personal statement, Cohen said: "Not that I recall."

Cliff Robert, an attorney for the Trumps, then asked for a directed verdict, arguing that the key witness testified that the defendant didn't tell Cohen to inflate the numbers. The judge denied the request.

Trump immediately got up and stormed out of the courtroom with Secret Service agents chasing after him. The move was not expected and appeared to surprise even his attorneys. Gasps could be heard within the courtroom.

Cohen later added that Trump didn't specifically tell him to inflate the numbers, comparing the former president to a mob boss who tells you what he wants without directly telling you.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Gonna take a dump and come back and get that verdict, Lamar Jackson-style

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

zoux posted:

quote:

Cliff Robert, an attorney for the Trumps, then asked for a directed verdict, arguing that the key witness testified that the defendant didn't tell Cohen to inflate the numbers. The judge denied the request.

What does directed verdict mean here? Like asking the judge to take back the guilty verdict he already applied?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

zoux posted:

So this judge is just an absolute chump or what? Trump has twice defied a gag order, then just gets up and leaves, and he still won't do anything meaningful about it?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
He closed court early and called Trump back in for something. It was like a 90 second meet up apparently but haven’t read and they didn’t say on cable what exactly was discussed.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

The Bible posted:

So this judge is just an absolute chump or what? Trump has twice defied a gag order, then just gets up and leaves, and he still won't do anything meaningful about it?

I'm pretty sure Trump never had to be there in the first place, just his lawyers.
He was just there for the attention.

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

What does directed verdict mean here? Like asking the judge to take back the guilty verdict he already applied?

I'm not an attorney, but entering a directed verdict means the court is saying "This court is ruling now, and the evidence is so one-sided that the court cannot see any reasonable jury saying otherwise".

At least according to my source ( https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/directed_verdict ):
code:
A trial judge cannot enter a directed verdict unless there is a complete absence of proof on a material issue or if no disputed issues of fact exist upon which reasonable minds could differ.
So, if I'm understanding this, Trump's attorney made a motion for the judge to toss the entire case out, after the guilty verdict and during sentencing - which my understanding suggests is exactly as clown-shoes as it sounds.
The judge was not about to throw out the entire case because one witness gave an "I don't remember" statement on the stand.

Trump, it seems, took offense to the concept of being told "no" so bluntly, even indirectly, and did what he does.

If anyone here's more informed, please feel free to correct me, but this is my read.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KillHour posted:

The SAG strike meant the producers for America needed to move to a reality show format again, huh?

Honestly, Big House Trump done in the style of Big Brother where the challenges get him a cheeseburger or 2 minutes of Twitter would probably be a ratings juggernaut.

The Bible posted:

A $5k and $10k fine are, within our current system, reasonable and escalating reactions to the violation of a gag order by a rich and powerful guy. Storming out of the court seems to have just happened, so we'll have to see what the ruling on that will be. So it's still to early to start calling the judge a chump.

Our of curiosity, what are the limitations on purposefully humiliating sanctions from the bench? Like, could the judge fine Trump some money and require him to wear only Italian cut suits for the next year?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I'm pretty sure Trump isn't required to be in this courtroom, and can leave at any time (Within the bounds of more general respect for the court - I assume that 90 second private meeting Engeron called him in for was to remind him of that). He's there partly because he can say "Look they're persecuting me, and this is a political hit job to keep me busy in court instead of out campaigning." and partly because the perception of his personal wealth is tremendously important to him and he's desperate to find a way to maintain the view that he is unfathomably rich.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What is the mechanism to actually charge the fines? Like, does a big claw come and grab Trump and shake the money out of him?

Like, is there a deadline for him to pay the fines by with a consequence?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

It was a matter of time until a judge with seniority and nothing to lose started reminding Trump how court works.

Engoron is the comic relief that we did not know we needed before the trials of 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oxyclean posted:

What is the mechanism to actually charge the fines? Like, does a big claw come and grab Trump and shake the money out of him?

Like, is there a deadline for him to pay the fines by with a consequence?

Standard debt collection procedures if he doesn't pay. If they can find one of Trump's bank accounts (not an issue I'm sure for the Government) they can place a lien on it and force the bank to hand over the amount due.

They would give him an opportunity to pay first though. And failure to pay would also make the judge likely to invoke non-monetary punishments like jail.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Exclusive: Fulton County DA has discussed plea deals with at least 6 more Trump co-defendants

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/25/politics/fulton-county-da-is-discussing-plea-deals-with-at-least-5-more-trump-co-defendants

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Neodymium posted:

So, if I'm understanding this, Trump's attorney made a motion for the judge to toss the entire case out, after the guilty verdict and during sentencing - which my understanding suggests is exactly as clown-shoes as it sounds.
The judge was not about to throw out the entire case because one witness gave an "I don't remember" statement on the stand.

it wasn't so much that as

Neodymium posted:

Trump, it seems, took offense to the concept of being told "no" so bluntly, even indirectly, and did what he does...

this.

The truly absurd part was that Cohen wasn't saying that Trump didn't direct him to crime; only that he did not say it in those words

Trump's not bothered by the amount of the fine; he's losing his poo poo because someone ordered him to do something.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PainterofCrap posted:

i
Trump's not bothered by the amount of the fine; he's losing his poo poo because someone ordered him to do something.

And called him out as a liar to his face and made it stick. More of an actual consequence than he's faced in years.

Erogan knew exactly what he was doing today.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Treating Trump like the child he acts like is the best thing I’ve seen in a while. I expect it will be trivial to watch him tantrum spiral out of control and do something really dumb.

Since he’s been called on it twice now and he thinks he’s clever he’s going to try and do it again a similar stupid nudge nudge excuse like he tried to give today. I’d bet money on it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Meanwhile, in 14th Amendment Land,

Colorado judge paves way for trial on whether 14th Amendment disqualifies Trump from office

quote:

A Colorado judge has rejected another attempt by former President Donald Trump to throw out a lawsuit seeking to block him from the 2024 presidential ballot based on the 14th Amendment’s “insurrectionist ban.”

The ruling Wednesday from Colorado District Judge Sarah Wallace clears the way for an unprecedented trial to begin next week, to determine if Trump is disqualified from returning to the White House because of his role in the January 6, 2021, insurrection.

This is the fifth unsuccessful bid by Trump to throw out the Colorado case, which is one of several pending suits trying to derail his candidacy based on the 14th Amendment.

The 14th Amendment, which was ratified after the Civil War, says US officials who take an oath to uphold the Constitution are disqualified from future office if they “engaged in insurrection” or have “given aid or comfort” to insurrectionists. But the Constitution does not spell out how to enforce the ban, and it has only been applied twice since the 1800s.

In a 24-page ruling, Wallace rejected Trump’s argument that questions about his eligibility should be handled by Congress, not courts. She also rejected Trump’s argument that the Colorado election officials don’t have the power to enforce the so-called “insurrectionist ban,” which is enshrined in Section 3 of the 14th Amendment.

“The Court holds that states can, and have, applied Section 3 pursuant to state statutes without federal enforcement legislation,” Wallace wrote.

She said the trial will focus on several key questions, including whether the events of January 6 “constituted an insurrection” and whether Trump “engaged” in insurrection.

Trump has denied wrongdoing regarding the January 6 attack on the US Capitol. He pleaded not guilty to state and federal charges stemming from his attempts to overturn the 2020 election.

His campaign has condemned these “absurd” lawsuits and said the groups pushing these candidacy challenges are “stretching the law beyond recognition.”

Next week will be interesting. :munch:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The Colorado case is interesting because as I understand it their constitution requires an active decision on if someone is qualified to be on the ballot.

So it looks like it moots the self-enforcing question because the constitution already says it shall be enforced.

So, assuming Colorado agrees that Trump is disqualified from being on the ballot and that is upheld by SCOTUS does that then provide a basis for other states to adopt that result? I guess it would depend on how narrowly SCOTUS rules?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Murgos posted:

The Colorado case is interesting because as I understand it their constitution requires an active decision on if someone is qualified to be on the ballot.

So it looks like it moots the self-enforcing question because the constitution already says it shall be enforced.

So, assuming Colorado agrees that Trump is disqualified from being on the ballot and that is upheld by SCOTUS does that then provide a basis for other states to adopt that result? I guess it would depend on how narrowly SCOTUS rules?

My guess is that she'll rule that Jan6 was indeed an insurrection, but that there is insufficient evidence at this time to show that Trump directly participated in it. It may then be revisited after Jack Smith is done.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Murgos posted:

It seems like the whole thing is being based on the Colorado Constitution, so it would depend on whether the specific clauses are present in other state's constitutions. Even in a total loss by Trump in this case, it's quite possible that it would only pertain to Colorado and other interested states would have to find separate reasoning within their own constitution. "Colorado did it" isn't much of a bedrock for other cases.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

How would that interact with the Republican primary? Like what happens if they nominate somebody who legally can’t run in a state?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'd assume you can nominate them, and if it's a solid state for the other party they may not be a problem.

There have been plenty of candidates who have run who haven't been on the ballot in even nearly every state.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

My guess is that when they fill out whatever government form is required to submit someone to be on the ballot, an invalid request would be denied.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
If the party doesn’t put forth a ticket the state allows, Colorado just won’t have a republican presidential choice on the ballot. They’ll still have a dozen other cranks like usual, Colorado is one of those states that makes it easy to run for pres.

It’d slaughter GOP downballot races in the state I’d think :unsmigghh:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The GOP would probably just run whoever the VP candidate is for the possible Colorado EC votes. Which would set up a theoretical situation where Biden is Pres and has a Republican VP.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gyges posted:

The GOP would probably just run whoever the VP candidate is for the possible Colorado EC votes. Which would set up a theoretical situation where Biden is Pres and has a Republican VP.

With how powerless -unless it's a Bush case where they specifically give them power- would this effect anything other than having the tie vote in the senate and possibly being sorta funny.

Was a time when the VP was just the runner up in the presidential race so you know normally the opposition.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Struck me earlier that no matter what the outcome of various trials and investigations turn out to be, the situation re: Trump in a year and a couple of weeks is almost certainly going to be completely unrecognizable from today.

Like yeah that's extremely obvious, but at the same time it's kind of surreal to know that some serious poo poo is almost certainly going to happen but not to know exactly what, or to have any idea how it'll effect things.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ms Adequate posted:

Struck me earlier that no matter what the outcome of various trials and investigations turn out to be, the situation re: Trump in a year and a couple of weeks is almost certainly going to be completely unrecognizable from today.

Like yeah that's extremely obvious, but at the same time it's kind of surreal to know that some serious poo poo is almost certainly going to happen but not to know exactly what, or to have any idea how it'll effect things.

I'm sure it's all going to be good stuff.

The only guarantees we have are some good lols mixed with periods of extremely existential horror

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

dr_rat posted:

With how powerless -unless it's a Bush case where they specifically give them power- would this effect anything other than having the tie vote in the senate and possibly being sorta funny.

Was a time when the VP was just the runner up in the presidential race so you know normally the opposition.

In addition to Senate ties and having to find another "America is serious about this issue/diplomacy. But not President serious" individual, there's the looming issue of Joe Biden being old as gently caress. Like, every time Biden stuttered or tripped on some stairs, you'd be worried about the absolute psychopath who passed and accepted Trump's vetting process taking over.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

My main question for the next year is how Trump's legal issues will affect GOP fundraising. Republicans paid a ton of money to his lawyers already - are they/will they be on the hook for his continued legal issues, and how will that impact their ability to fund other candidates' races? Will it even matter? I realize it's unanswerable but I wonder if anyone is trying to model this yet.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Shooting Blanks posted:

My main question for the next year is how Trump's legal issues will affect GOP fundraising. Republicans paid a ton of money to his lawyers already - are they/will they be on the hook for his continued legal issues, and how will that impact their ability to fund other candidates' races? Will it even matter? I realize it's unanswerable but I wonder if anyone is trying to model this yet.

I believe the biggest problem they're having is that so many brainwashed idiots are deep in the MAGA cult and keep giving money to Trump instead of other people in other offices. Not them being directly on the hook for Trump's costs, just him so aggressively grifting that every thing around him withers and dies.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

I vaguely recall that so far Trump is sucking up a lot of funds from others and is spending it on lawyers. So overall fundraising looks good for Republicans, but effectiveness is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Trump drinks their milkshake