Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Willis needs a cutoff before he started appearing in those awful DTV/DTS movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Stallone is cool cause there's a lot of stuff like Paradise Alley where you're alternately like "oh this is interesting" and "what the gently caress is this".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Willis needs a cutoff before he started appearing in those awful DTV/DTS movies

The thing with Willis is that if you take away the Die Hard movies, his action movie stuff was always pretty sporadic. And aside from Die Hard, the majority of those action movies are mostly forgotten compared to his other work like The Sixth Sense, 12 Monkeys, Pulp Fiction, Unbreakable, etc.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ll be honest, I just can’t stand Stallone in anything other than Rocky, First Blood, or Cliffhanger. The man has basically zero charisma.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ll be honest, I just can’t stand Stallone in anything other than Rocky, First Blood, or Cliffhanger. The man has basically zero charisma.

Copland is pretty great, and Tulsa King is some good trashy fun.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Basebf555 posted:

The thing with Willis is that if you take away the Die Hard movies, his action movie stuff was always pretty sporadic. And aside from Die Hard, the majority of those action movies are mostly forgotten compared to his other work like The Sixth Sense, 12 Monkeys, Pulp Fiction, Unbreakable, etc.

Hudson Hawk always gets overlooked. :eng99:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I would also question Chan over Van Damme for a 80s-90s Hollywood Action Movie Mount Rushmore, as I can't think of a Hollywood movie he was in before Rush Hour.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Stallone is cool cause there's a lot of stuff like Paradise Alley where you're alternately like "oh this is interesting" and "what the gently caress is this".

this just sounds like Over the Top with extra steps

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

DarkSol posted:

Hudson Hawk always gets overlooked. :eng99:

:hmmyes:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

I would also question Chan over Van Damme for a 80s-90s Hollywood Action Movie Mount Rushmore, as I can't think of a Hollywood movie he was in before Rush Hour.

Rumble in the Bronx?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning part 2 got delayed to 2025 and they've said they're renaming it which means that they're going to have to rename Dead Reckoning part 1 (probably just dropping the "part 1")

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DarkSol posted:

Rumble in the Bronx?

that was his U.S. breakthrough, but not really a Hollywood movie.

I need to read The Last Action Heroes, I don't really have a sense as to how well known Jackie Chan was in the U.S. before Rumble. I know they tried to make him happen with that movie The Protector but it's by all accounts terrible. I think he was in Cannonball Run too? i assume film nerds knew about him in the '80s at least.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

Arguably his Hong Kong movies were starting to get wide release in the states, and the popularity of those is what led to Rush Hour. Still think Van Damme goes before Chan if your criteria is 80s-90s Hollywood, but if you said 90s-00s Chan is the easy pick.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think he was in Cannonball Run too?

Playing your usual 1980s Japanese caricature.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

muscles like this! posted:

Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning part 2 got delayed to 2025 and they've said they're renaming it which means that they're going to have to rename Dead Reckoning part 1 (probably just dropping the "part 1")
Mission Impossible: Live, Die, Repeat

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm 2 Mission Impossibles behind. Haven't really heard good things about Dead Reckoning. What do people here think of it? I def wanna get around to watching Fallout based on positive reviews.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've only ever seen the first Mission Impossible back when it first came out. Now that I think about it, I've seen very few Tom Cruise movies in general.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hayley Atwell is a great addition and the movie is pretty good but there are a couple of missteps.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Playing your usual 1980s Japanese caricature.

yeah uh Cannonball Run is his big break like Predator was Van Damme's

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that was his U.S. breakthrough, but not really a Hollywood movie.

I need to read The Last Action Heroes, I don't really have a sense as to how well known Jackie Chan was in the U.S. before Rumble. I know they tried to make him happen with that movie The Protector but it's by all accounts terrible. I think he was in Cannonball Run too? i assume film nerds knew about him in the '80s at least.

True. New Line just distributed Rumble, which was still a Hong Kong production.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Shageletic posted:

I'm 2 Mission Impossibles behind. Haven't really heard good things about Dead Reckoning. What do people here think of it? I def wanna get around to watching Fallout based on positive reviews.
I thought Fallout was the best of the entire series and Dead Reckoning was a big step down :( I really wanted to love it, too.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Dead Reckoning is a rock solid MI entry it just has to follow Fallout which was always going to be difficult.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I am curious if Cruise was the motivating factor in turning the M:I franchise into more action-based or it happened and he realized he struck gold and kept at it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was hoping maybe the MI films would start to re-introduce some of the Noir elements from the first movie. Unfortunately the last one remained a bunch of string together action sequences.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

that's like all of them since 2

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Pirate Jet posted:

Dead Reckoning is a rock solid MI entry it just has to follow Fallout which was always going to be difficult.

This is my take. I imagine if I saw it again I would like it more, but I recognize that my expectations after Fallout were ridiculous. My friend who saw it with me had never seen a MI movie, and he thought it was a banger, so YMMV may vary if you haven't followed the franchise.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Fallout would be the best action movie of the 2010s if Fury Road didn't exist.

Hayley Atwell is a great addition and the movie is pretty good but there are a couple of missteps.

The villain being a spooky screensaver was always going to come off as silly.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Fallout is so good, it’s easily the best one of the lot. Have not seen DR yet. Interesting that another Cruise movie gets renamed; Edge Of Tomorrow got soft renamed “Live Die Repeat” and now he and McQ just call it “All You Need is Kill”.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Timby posted:

You missed Days of Thunder, AKA "Top Gun, but NASCAR."

No one misses Days of Thunder that movie fuckin' sucks.

Cacator posted:

Fallout would be the best action movie of the 2010s if Fury Road didn't exist.

The villain being a spooky screensaver was always going to come off as silly.

It would still be behind both Raid films. It's really loving good though.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Van Damme's recent stuff is pretty fun. John Claude Van Johnson should have gotten another season on Prime and Last Mercenary is a fun little movie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

whydirt posted:

I am curious if Cruise was the motivating factor in turning the M:I franchise into more action-based or it happened and he realized he struck gold and kept at it.

I feel like it was a byproduct of JJ Abrams taking over MI 3. Fincher's original idea for 3 didn't seem like it was as action-oriented.

Also looking it up I had no idea that Ricky Gervais was almost in MI 3. Weird to think of how big he was in the early 2000s.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I fell off of John Claude Van Johnson after I realized it would be so heavily serialized. The premise lends itself far more to being an episodic show that takes place in a new location with a new terrible DTV movie and a new secret mission each episode. That would have been a blast.

Apropos of nothing, I felt the exact opposite about Making History, which felt like it would have been way more fun if it stuck with the single time period and had the modern-day idiots have to constantly travel back to Colonial America because they hosed up the founding of the country, and every time they go back to the future things just get more and more dystopian. Basically, Back to the Future Part II where Marty is a fuckup stoner.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
On JCVD, I found that his second directing effort, which has had three different names now, is still unreleased. It has been known as 'The Eagle Path,' 'Frenchy,' 'Full Love' and now 'The Eagle Path' again. It was originally shot around 2010 or so but has sat unreleased that entire time. It's weird since the plot and trailer both seemed pretty standard JCVD (someone near to JCVD is kidnapped, leading to karate filled circumstances) yet it's period of non release is now about as long as JCVD's time as genuine Hollywood movie star.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Also looking it up I had no idea that Ricky Gervais was almost in MI 3. Weird to think of how big he was in the early 2000s.

Now he spends his time being cranky that people don’t think he’s funny anymore

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Rebecca Ferguson's role in the recent Mission Impossibles is so weird. She has the love interest/will-they-won't-they/old flame part but she isn't written as a love interest, so you have all this flimsy plot business that hinges on her character and Ethan Hunt being in very deep professional respect with each other.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

High Warlord Zog posted:

Rebecca Ferguson's role in the recent Mission Impossibles is so weird. She has the love interest/will-they-won't-they/old flame part but she isn't written as a love interest, so you have all this flimsy plot business that hinges on her character and Ethan Hunt being in very deep professional respect with each other.

I think that's just Rebecca Ferguson and Tom Cruise. Those two are IN TO each other.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I think that's just Rebecca Ferguson and Tom Cruise. Those two are IN TO each other.

It really gives the impression that at all times there was a collection of burly men just off screen with hoses to spray those two down when needed. The chemistry between those two actors is the sort that need hazard warnings for anyone nearby.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

High Warlord Zog posted:

Hunt is a lunatic for his friends, he lost 3 plutonium cores because he wouldn't let Luther die. They make it a theme but it's still nutty.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

well why not posted:

Hunt is a lunatic for his friends, he lost 3 plutonium cores because he wouldn't let Luther die. They make it a theme but it's still nutty.

That angle feels like a byproduct of of the couch jump incident. Like at some point a focus group after that said we no longer want to see Cruise as a romantic hero and because of the one two punch of Edge of Tomorrow and MI4 were so well recieved we now have weirdly asexual Ethan Hunt from hereon out. The Craig James Bond movies wish they had the kind of chemistry Cruise and Fergurson have for Craig any of the post Eva Green love interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It is kind of remarkable how little of a spark Craig and Lea Seydoux had in the last two movies, especially for someone who’s supposed to be his main love interest. Him telling her that he loves her as he’s tortured in Spectre is so unearned it might be the low point of an already bad movie.